Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-04-2008, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After yesterdays loss I honestly believe that Hobbs should be a nickel back. I love him and he shows flashes but he is really inconsistent and will get beat big like he did to Plax.

What honestly hurts me the most about this game is our linebackers who have been labeled as old an ineffective really played hard but still will get no recognition. I know we were beat but that was one of the gutsiset performances I have ever seen from Seau or Bruschi. Our run defense played very well and I commend those guys for their efforts. As for the other LBs, I was thrilled to see Pierre Woods out there but he duffed it on Bradshaws fumble becuase he should've came away with that despite Bradshaw's great hustle. Vrabel was good against the run but he didn't make the big plays he has been making all season. As for Adailus, all I will say is I can't wait until he is playing full time ILB again. He is better suited there. God, we really need Rosie Colvin.

I still think we take a DE/LB but we definitely need at least one corner in the first 2 rounds. ***, Meriweather, and Hobbs were all inconcsistent and they are our young DBs we need to build this team on. Asante played unbeleivable, he and Welker were our 2 best out there to me. Rodney is old and did get beat twice I think, but he played decently overall. He wasn't wrapping up all game, he was just throwing his body around which almost resulted in Toomer taking it the distance once. Jams Sanders was pretty impressive again, I really like him. I didn't see too much Eugene Wilson, but if he was on the field then that means he wasn't getting beat.

We have some young depth in the secondary then you would initially think with guys who can play every position in Meriweather and Geno Wilson, James Sanders at safety (he has played both spots), and Asante, Hobbs, Randall G., and the occasional Willie Andrews at corner. That is a lot of young guys seeing as Harrison is the only elder statesman at DB who made an impact this year. That said, I think another corner or versatile guy would be a welcome addition to our secondary because the injury bug has crippled us and can again, its better to be prepared. If Cason were to fall to us I would be thrilled, but a big physical corner is what we need I think.

Pierre Woods got in there and he is a young face at LB but we all saw how Colvin's affected our enitre team and our season. He was possibly our defensive MVP and losing him will obviously hurt, but it shouldn't hurt us as much as it did. We need a fresh face at LB, I would love for it to be Vernon Gholston.

So here are our top needs as I see them after the Super Bowl.

1. DE/LB

I would be ecstatic if we got a terrific young athlete like Gholston. We are sitting pretty at #7 and we will get a shot at a goood prospect there.

2. Big, Physical CB

It is hard to find a corner who will match up with Plax and Hobbs did a great job of it all game aside from one play. The bottom line is that we have very little size in the secondary and if Hobbs didn't slip that would've been a jump ball. He's got hops but at 5-8 or 5-9 the 6-6 Plax is probably gonna win that battle despite Hobbs' hops.

3. OL

This is a big need as well. We got manhandled up front, especially in the interior. We need to take a few lineman because when Neal went down things went from bad to worse. Brady thrives off of time in the pocket and when he can't get that bad things will happen like they did yesterday. We couldn't even run the ball. Our OL was putrid yesterday.

TE

Our receiving TE was pretty much a nonfactor and our blocking TE was getting blown off the ball. I love Ben Watson but he dissappointed yesterday with a bonehead penalty and he made little impact in the passing game. Kyle Brady was pretty solid all year as a blocker but he struggled yesterday and looked embarassingly bad at times. He is old and drafting a TE at some point would be welcomed by me.

RB

Not a huge need in my opinion, when Sammy Morris is healthy we will be fine here. But a 3rd down back like Faulk would be a good pickup I believe, Faulk is getting older and when he went down yesterday our offense really struggled without him. We've got power with Evans, Morris, and Maroney to an extent but a flat out speed back in the later rounds or a 3rd down receiving type back might be a good pickup.

Please excuse me if I were repetitive or making no sense but I am still reeling. We got flat out beat and the best thing we can do is stay classy and you guys are all doing a great job I think. We may get some hell for a while but there is always next season, don't stoop down to the level of some people who are bashing the Pats way more than they need to be. We got beat fair and square and

Feed Moncrief

Last edited by Don Vito : 02-04-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I'm all for trading Richard Seymour to keep Asante Samuel.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'm all for trading Richard Seymour to keep Asante Samuel.
No I wouldnt. I think everyone here would agree that your front is more improtant than your DB's. See the Giants.

I would not trade Seymour to keep Asante.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thought the linebacking yesterday was very weak. Teddy and Seau are over the hill and not sure what was up with Vrabel who was getting pushed all over the field. Probably in order i would go with Chris Long, Keith Rivers and Dan Connor.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
No I wouldnt. I think everyone here would agree that your front is more improtant than your DB's. See the Giants.

I would not trade Seymour to keep Asante.
I don't like what he is becoming, and I think he'd be easier to replace. Jarvis Green did great while Seymour was out. I think we could easily get a first for Seymour and replace him with a cheaper, younger part with better knees.

The secondary is what killed us. It wasn't the LB's. Ellis Hobbs is a great player. He is not a #1 or #2 corner in this league. He's a great nickel guy. But the Giants converted on third down at will, and they weren't the only team. The secondary is flawed, and losing Asante would kill us. Parting with Seymour is the best way to improve this defense from the bottom up, and there would be little drop off with in house candidates.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
I don't like what he is becoming, and I think he'd be easier to replace. Jarvis Green did great while Seymour was out. I think we could easily get a first for Seymour and replace him with a cheaper, younger part with better knees.

The secondary is what killed us. It wasn't the LB's. Ellis Hobbs is a great player. He is not a #1 or #2 corner in this league. He's a great nickel guy. But the Giants converted on third down at will, and they weren't the only team. The secondary is flawed, and losing Asante would kill us. Parting with Seymour is the best way to improve this defense from the bottom up, and there would be little drop off with in house candidates.
Fair enough. That is pretty good reasoning. Especially if we are able to nab Chris Long in the 1st, then we could rotate him in with Warren and Green. I def think we need a DB whether it be CB or Saefty. I would prefer a CB, unless Asante stays. Either way, we still do need a DB in there.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

You all need OL help ASAP wow Brady got his ass kicked
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:05 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

We need offensive line help with three guys going to the Pro Bowl and the offensive line having one average game all year? Really?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Handel
Veteran

Handel is a cocksman.Handel is a cocksman.Handel is a cocksman.

Quote:

I'm curious to see if we get any compensation picks for losing Graham or Banta-Cain. That may change things a little as well. That is essentially playing with house money and I could see them dumping some late picks to move up in earlier rounds...
Why would they? Pats signed a lot of FA and lost a few. I don't expect compensation.

Thanks to BoneKrusher
Handel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
We need offensive line help with three guys going to the Pro Bowl and the offensive line having one average game all year? Really?
See Jay, thats the stuff that pisses me off the most. Granted the SB is the biggest of them all, but to be honest, it is one game out 19 that they played, and they had that ONE game which they underperformed. Everyone jumps on NE now, saying BRady is a top 15 QB at best, the OL is garbage and so on...please, lol, this stupidity makes me laugh.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handel View Post
Why would they? Pats signed a lot of FA and lost a few. I don't expect compensation.
They did sign two big ones, but who knows...
Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
See Jay, thats the stuff that pisses me off the most. Granted the SB is the biggest of them all, but to be honest, it is one game out 19 that they played, and they had that ONE game which they underperformed. Everyone jumps on NE now, saying BRady is a top 15 QB at best, the OL is garbage and so on...please, lol, this stupidity makes me laugh.
That's just the reactionary nature of the NFL fan. People are laughing at the Patriots, but unless they are Giants fans, their team watched the Super Bowl on TV like you and me, so I don't put much stock into it. Brady played the game clearly hurt. What can you do?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:46 PM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I second the Seymour move. He is under delivering on his contract. He is backed up by a true pro and the drop off would be minimal. His stock will only continue to drop. Too bad, trades don't happen much in the NFL.

How is this for a possibility. Seymour to Miami and the big tuna for Jason Taylor and a two ? You are mainly looking to get out from under the contract, you get a pass rusher that you need ( can someone tell me where the Pro Colvin stuff is coming from ? He has done little to nothing sack-wise and is Terrible setting the edge in run protection), and another earlly round pick to rebuild with or utilize to move up for a targeted player. Tuna wants those big bodies.....
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

I am indifferent. I wonder if they would even consider something outside the box like trading Seymour. The way I see it, they will be in a position to get any one of these four: Glen Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, Chris Long and Vernon Gholston, whereas 7 is way too early for a corner. But 12-22 is much better territory for one like Jenkins, McKlevin, Rogers-Cromartie or Talib. If the Pats can get a first and maybe a second the in 2009 for Seymour, they take one of the DL early and a corner mid first and then go LB 2nd or 3rd.

Asante Samuel is the key to the defense. They are going to lose Eugene Wilson and Randall G.ay, there is no doubt about it. Who is our fourth corner right now? Willie Andrews? He's gone too. Asante HAS to come back. DLine has depth and the ability to get more.

It's unfortunate, but he's the guy that needs to move. They can have five picks in the first three rounds and go D, D, D, D, D and let these guys develop together. But that's just me...
Old 02-11-2008, 01:12 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

in the second would you take Antoine Cason, Justin King, or Brandon Flowers?

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:26 PM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cason no doubt. Production matters greatly to BB. If you have produced but draftniks are knocking your triangle numbers, he is more apt to take you than the kid (King) who has all the upside and potential to be a hall of famer. If you have not produced you have no shot of getting picked early here and given valuable cap $$
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote