Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 01-30-2008, 01:51 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a big fan of a WR in the first, it's one of the very few things that I agree with Childress about. I mean Rice looked as good last year as any first rounder not named Bowe and has as much potential as any not named Johnson.

I think the 2nd or even the 3rd is the WR range for the Vikes and if I was to try and make a mock that is where the WR would fall. It is an obvious and glaring hole, but I dont think the guys you get at 17 are worth the risk they present, basically they either have character issues or are from a bigger program than the guys who go in the 2nd.

I think safety is the biggest need. We really have an awful pair of safeties. We have 4 solid backup safeties right now, so keep two of those and get 2 starters really needs to be the plan but I don't really like any safety outside Phillips in the first round this year and I just don't see how he falls to 17.

I think we would be stupid to pass on Rivers if he fell. Ditto for either Dorsey or Ellis but I can't see anyway any of them fall to us either.

That basically leaves DE or OT of our obvious needs. McKinnie gives us the bonus of basically being able to pick either a RT or LT but I would certainly prefer a legit LT and move McKinnie to the right. Then we would have a very strong OL with only really RG as even a partial weakness. McKinnie at LT is a problem in the pass game because he just can't block quick players.

DE is interesting, we really need a pure pass rush guy, Udeze actually plays the run really well, he just doesn't get a consistent enough push on pass plays. Can't bank on James ever getting healthy, from here on he is just a bonus, if he gets healthy it's great, but plan as though he wont. Robison looks solid, I think with a couple more years development he really could be a Kampman type, he has a great motor but we need DE help.

To be honest though I would like to trade out of the first. Unless Gholston, Dorsey, Long, Long, Ellis, Rivers or Phillips is still there Im not sure the value is there. I quite like several of the other OT prospects also, but I'm not sold on them either. If we could do something similar to Dallas last year or even better New England, and possibly pick up say a 2nd and a 1st next year, I think it would be ideal but I can't really see the prospect that falls to create that situation either.

Going to be a tough draft, I still think we messed up by winning games late in the year, just didn't help us at all, if we pick 8th for example we get a legit guy who probably puts us in the playoffs for real next year, as it is we are picking in the worst section of the draft where the value does not equal the cost.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:08 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

Whats the story on the kid from purdue Edwards how long is he suspended for because I really thought this kid could pass rush. To me with edwards and robinson on passing down and it changes our pass rush completely. I agree on the saftys but i dont see any reason to draft one with a reach. Trading down makes the most sense unless someone falls and we can use the threes to trade up.

Im still not sold on the qb situation and safty wo and dl can all be addreseed in the F/A
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 AM    (permalink
sidvicious68330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
nelson is not a fast receiver nor will he be drafted in the first round. plus the vikings already have their jump ball, soft hands type of receiver in sidney rice whom jackson would be a good speed complement to.
For the record, he has been timed at 10.6 in the 100 meter dash in high school, so i would imagine that he has improved upon that time with 5 years of maturning & weight training. Just as a reference, Ten Ginn Jr. ran a 10.5 and his speed does not get questioned. So hold off on those "he is not a fast receiver" assumptions. Once he gets timed at the combine, and shows that for his size, that he has braylen edwards type speed (mid 4.4), he will be a very viable option for the vikes in the first round.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:01 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidvicious68330 View Post
For the record, he has been timed at 10.6 in the 100 meter dash in high school, so i would imagine that he has improved upon that time with 5 years of maturning & weight training. Just as a reference, Ten Ginn Jr. ran a 10.5 and his speed does not get questioned. So hold off on those "he is not a fast receiver" assumptions. Once he gets timed at the combine, and shows that for his size, that he has braylen edwards type speed (mid 4.4), he will be a very viable option for the vikes in the first round.
JORDYZZZ NELSONZZZZ ZOMG!!!
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Patriots16-0
Veteran

Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0

I think this should be in Team Boards, right?

Thanks to darnik44two for the sig

Dream Pats Draft:
1. Vernon Gholston, LB, tOSU
2. Adarious Bowman, WR, Ok St
3a. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
3b. Kevin Smith, RB, UCF
4. Peyton Hillis, RB, Ark
5. Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas
6. Brian Witherspoon, CB, Stillman
7. Pierre Garcon, WR, Mt Union
Patriots16-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:33 PM    (permalink
DraftKidWonder
Rookie

DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots16-0 View Post
I think this should be in Team Boards, right?
I'm a Packers fan so... NO!
DraftKidWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 PM    (permalink
TyronePoole38

Jackson isn't a good fit for the WCO
Old 01-31-2008, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post

Going to be a tough draft, I still think we messed up by winning games late in the year, just didn't help us at all, if we pick 8th for example we get a legit guy who probably puts us in the playoffs for real next year, as it is we are picking in the worst section of the draft where the value does not equal the cost.
I'll take winning games over draft position any day of the week.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:58 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyronePoole38 View Post
Jackson isn't a good fit for the WCO
You'd think the Head Coach that drafted him would know how well he fit the WCO when he took him. He fits exactly what Childress looks for from his QBs, he just needs to develop. Keep in mind that every WCO is different, i.e. Jackson wouldn't fit in Tampa.

All this assuming you meant T. Jackson not D.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:34 PM    (permalink
foozball
Veteran

foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ek0ANQ8bRfo

nelson destroying aqib talib
foozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:03 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another NELSONZZZ thread.
Anyway, the biggest problem I saw with Minnesota was the pass rush. The reason they had one of the worst pass defenses was because no one ran on them and there was no pass rush, especially since James got hurt again. There are good defensive ends in free agency, so they can address the need that way. Tampa-2 teams can always find good secondary players later in the draft. Charles Godfrey could be a good fit for them in the 3rd round.
So between those two, it would be Jackson because they have to have someone to stretch the field and run after the catch.
MidwayMonster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:11 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

they need Limas Sweed.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It will all come down to how they rate each player and where they stand on their draft board. Saying this guy or that guy before even the pros have had the combine is impossible.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:53 AM    (permalink
foozball
Veteran

foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.

1 DE calais campbell
2 WR jordy nelson
3 S thomas decoud/quintin demps

pass rush- check
big receiver with speed- check
safety- check

im not a big fan of decoud, but apparently everyone is all over his jock so he'd probably be the best safety available on most boards. i think quintin demps would be a better fit because of his coverage ability, but whatever.
foozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:00 AM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chad Johnson>DeSean Jackson>Malcolm Kelly>Reggie Smith>

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:08 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a team forum discussion.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:23 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post
Chad Johnson>DeSean Jackson>Malcolm Kelly>Reggie Smith>
Chad Johnson will never be on the Vikings as long as Childress is coach.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:04 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

id go with smith here. we need help in our crappy secondary

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:18 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why take either D. Jackson can't play D, and Reggie Smith can't play Offense

BUT....

JORDYZZZz NElson can do it all.

If you take D. Jackson than look for Williamson to get cut, you pretty much end up having to the same guys, sometimes not bad but in this case you don't want it. Also Childress and Reid follow the same strategy so NO WR in the first unless it is JORDYZZZ NElson
Old 02-01-2008, 05:32 PM    (permalink
giver17
Rookie

giver17 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.giver17 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

first off, i am praying for williamson to get cut. however, I am likeing jordy more and more and more. I hope he is there for our second, and we go DE/S first and TE 3rd

giver17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:40 AM    (permalink
bdlyons26
Rookie

bdlyons26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.bdlyons26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

lol y are u looking at def. when we need a qb... everyone thinks they are content at qb omg when you complete only 30 percent of passes 7 yards or more and have like 2 td and 14 int its time for a change! if flacos still there dont' be suprised if they take him!
bdlyons26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:14 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Vikings are not going to take Joe Flacco at #17. Maybe in round 3 if he's still available but definatly not round 1.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:57 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlyons26 View Post
lol y are u looking at def. when we need a qb... everyone thinks they are content at qb omg when you complete only 30 percent of passes 7 yards or more and have like 2 td and 14 int its time for a change! if flacos still there dont' be suprised if they take him!
Look at the Receivers. Troy "I drop everything" Williamson and a 3rd option WR at best in Bobby Wade and Ferguson.

Your blaming Tarvaris for not being able to make completions to them? Come On man. Only Brady and Manning could win with them. No way we take QB in Round 1. We have so much bigger needs then another QB to wait on for 2 years before we have a chance to the playoffs when Tarvaris almost took us there by just not messing up when it got tough.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:57 AM    (permalink
bdlyons26
Rookie

bdlyons26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.bdlyons26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

ok ya i think i was asleep when i wrote that..... but i do think a qb in the 3-6 round is a smart choice b/c i dont' see t.j. panning out but not a qb especially flacco in the first!
bdlyons26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why is T-jack not panning out?... The expectations some people have for a young QB amaze me. They aren't supposed to play well early on it's completely normal. Tarvaris progressed and got better as the season went on thats all you can really look for in a young QB. bdlysons26, how do you feel about Vince Young, Matt Lienart, Kellen Clemens, and Brodie Croyle? Because if you feel Tarvaris won't pan out surely you feel that same about them.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote