Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 01-30-2008, 03:07 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Pollack and Odell

Good post on Cincyjungle.com:

Quote:
Remember 2005. Not to feel all fuzzy supporting a team that finished 11-5. No. Remember because there seems to be standard in that season that could, could, see the return of two critical players that were expected to be the team's foundation on defense.

"Trust me, I'm not going to do anything stupid," (David) Pollack said earlier this week. "If someone says there is a 50 percent chance I'll break my neck [again], I'll never go anywhere near a field again."
- Quote on his upcoming examination that could resume or end his career.

And it's not like Pollack is waiting around. The guy is working out with the optimistic expectation he'll return.

"He's probably in better shape from a cardiovascular standpoint than at any point in his life," says Clif Marshall, who oversees the workouts as director of the Ignition Athletics Performance Group. "And obviously he still has the agility that makes him a special player."
[Bengals.com]
Gil Brandt, czar of the NFL scouting combine, listened to David Pollack's time in the three-cone drill and crunched the number before spitting out the verdict.

"You have a time like 6.69 seconds for a defensive lineman and there is a high percentage that guy will make the Pro Bowl," Brandt says from Dallas.

That's not Pollack's time from 2005, when he authored one of the greatest combine workouts in history. It's lower. And it's from Friday's session of his daily regimen that now includes helping college prospects prepare for the combine as well as taking another step forward to his return to the NFL.

Whether or not you think he should return, is a waste of time. Obviously, he'll make the decision that's best for him. As a fan, I hope he comes back. While he struggled early converting from a celebrated defensive end to a linebacker (who wouldn't struggle with that transition?), he came on late in 2005 -- including a good Wild Card showing. But I don't expect him to resume his late 2005 success right away. Either way, he's a better option that what we put on the field in 2007.

There's another guy that's seeing the chance at a comeback. Odell Thurman. The decision from the Chancellor's office should be soon. And it's unlikely the NFL will deny him another season to circumvent a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission allegedly violating The Americans with Disabilities Act that prevents "discrimination against anyone who has an impairment, including a drug or alcohol addiction."

And if the NFL declines Thurman a third season, then we'll know for sure that the player's union holds little non-monetary interest with the people they represent. It's not like they've gone out of their way to back retired players. They truly are the most useless organization in professional sports.

IF Pollack and Thurman return, if Landon Johnson and Madieu Williams re-sign, then the Bengals will surely look to rebuild the defensive line with either a defensive end or tackle through the draft. Well, that was to be the case no matter what happens with the above. The Bengals broke camp with seven linebackers on their 53-man roster. And if we presume the same, and that Pollack and Thurman return, the linebackers would look something like this:

1. Ahmad Brooks
2. Landon Johnson (if he re-signs)
3. Rashad Jeanty (ER-FA)
4. Odell Thurman
5. David Pollack
6. Dhani Jones
7. Caleb Miller (possible re-sign for special teams and depth)

There's also a suggestion to keep in mind: that Pollack could return as a defensive end rather than a linebacker to limit serious collisons.

Now, we can presume that the defense is slowly coming around, along with a proven defensive coordinator, that the Bengals would go after some offensive players -- such as running back and several offensive line positions. But who knows. Since joining the Bengals, Marvin Lewis has been difficult to predict.

Either way, if Pollack and Thurman return, then immediately the Bengals defense is improved.
Granted, we have no idea how effective they'll be after sitting out 2 years but we know what they were before the injury. Also encouraging on Pollacks workouts, seems he's in good shape. You'd have to think Odell will be back, again... Who knows how effective but there's reason to be optimistic. A 2 year without football Odell is better than what we put out there last season.

I think Pollack comes back at DE which is just as well considering it's a position of need. We could always get a bigger DE in the 2nd or so to help on run downs and Pollack could be the pass rush DE.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

im excited about this, really. Just imagine. Linebackers that don't suck. Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:01 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the whole thing about odell being gone for 2 years is BS btw. ive played football my entire life and let me tell you the expression "like riding a bicycle" is very true in this instance. He may be rusty at first but especially with this new LBer coach he will be in top form pretty quick(assuming he's in any shape whatsoever). Im really excited about odell but im not going to get my hopes up for david. Even though i'd love to say it.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:34 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been hearing Odell is a little on the tubby side these days, regardless of how he's working he needs to get in football shape still I'm sure.

It'll be interesting to see how the LB core shakes out (or if we even keep Odell).

I still like Odell at WLB, Ahmad in the middle and Jeanty at SLB.

Say we took Rivers:
WLB - Keith Rivers
MLB - Odell Thurman
SLB - Ahmad Brooks

Not bad...
Old 01-30-2008, 06:53 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't think Odell will be that far out of shape. He is only 25 and he's a firey player so I think his will to excell will bring him up to par. Hopefully he stays off the alcohol. As for Pollack, I just hope he can stay healthy if he chooses to redturn.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Aftermath
Veteran

Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.

How do you guys feel about taking Derrick Harvey at the 9 spot?

Sig by yours truly.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post

Say we took Rivers:
WLB - Keith Rivers
MLB - Odell Thurman
SLB - Ahmad Brooks

Not bad...
I'd poop myself.

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:49 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
I've been hearing Odell is a little on the tubby side these days, regardless of how he's working he needs to get in football shape still I'm sure.

It'll be interesting to see how the LB core shakes out (or if we even keep Odell).

I still like Odell at WLB, Ahmad in the middle and Jeanty at SLB.

Say we took Rivers:
WLB - Keith Rivers
MLB - Odell Thurman
SLB - Ahmad Brooks

Not bad...

that would improve you guys defense tremendously...especially if you end up with a mid 1st for chad and take a D lineman to go up front, that unit could go from one extreme to the other in a matter of a season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:33 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i still think odell is pretty much limited to playing MLB. I think he might do well at WLB but that lineup palmertocj just put up would be sick. Even if we don't get rivers putting Landon or Dhani at WLB would be very good. Plus im still fairly confident that Eric Henderson will be a pretty darn good player but IDK where we would put him unless the 3-4 switch is made or he comes in when we do that switch.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 02-01-2008, 12:33 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Ahmad would be a bit limited at WLB but he could move there and Jeanty at SLB with Henderson backing him up. That would be quite the logjam at SLB if Ahmad started. Granted if we haven't learned that LB depth is huge this year then we never will so it's not a bad thing.

Seems like we were talking about the same things we did last year and Ahmad/Odell played a whole game and a quarter combined so I'm not going to get my hopes up.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:13 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Recently found out Odell is in some money troubles, unfortunate for him but may be good for us. I'm sure he'll be extra sure to stay out of trouble and try to get into shape so he can make some coin on his next contract.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:56 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

More info, sounds encouraging with Odell. Working out with the team.

Quote:
"He's doing well; he's working extremely hard," Lewis said. "He's still got some hurdles to cross with league requirements and the opportunity to be reinstated and the opportunity to win a job. This has been very good for him. A good, positive step. It gives him something to hang his hat on, something to look forward to. It gives him the chance to take the steps to being accountable."

"He (turns) 25 years old. He's still a very young guy," Lewis said. "If he's reinstated when our offseason program opens up, at least he'll get a conditioning baseline where most guys are probably at."

"It's all the same," Lewis said. "He's a good person. He meant nobody (any) harm. He's basically been his own worst enemy for not being compliant with some league things. It's not like he's done anything egregious. But his non-compliance, and we aren't privy to all that information, put him in an awkward situation.

"Unfortunately, early on when he had an opportunity to turn this around and not make it what it has turned out to be, it didn't register. And now it has."
Marvin sounds very positive about him, something we haven't heard for a while.

Now this is something I didn't know... His just-under two year suspension froze his contract -- he'll be signed for another four seasons.

Pollack still awaiting the news.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:32 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

good to hear.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165