Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:06 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Shaun Rogers to MIA?

There have been plenty of trade rumors swirling around Miami lately. Rumblings in Detroit are that Marinelli is not happy with the play and effort of NT Shaun Rogers. There were rumors about him possibly being cut this offseason. The newest twist to this is that the Lions could possibly be looking for a potential trade partner for Rogers.

Booth Newspapers' Tom Kowalski in Detroit mentions Bill Parcells as a potential suitor, noting that Parcells "gushed" about Rogers in conference calls before the Cowboys played the Lions.

It also says that if he was to be traded, that the Lions will be looking for a veteran defensive player in return to help fill one of the Lions' many defensive holes.

Maybe a straight up swap for either Jason Taylor, Joey Porter, or Zach Thomas possibly? I think Jason makes the most sense, because of the Lion's gaping hole at defensive end, he could help out there tremendously. Porter and Thomas would help with the deficiency at LB.

Note: This is only total speculation at this point with abolutely nothing official.

Thoughts on this and possible chances of this going down before draft day, or at all?

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:08 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt Jason Taylor would be included, but one of the others and maybe a Matt Roth could be included.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:09 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Why not just wait till they cut him?

I don't think there would be a big market for an underachieving NT who plays less than 50% of the defensive snaps.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:15 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
Why not just wait till they cut him?
Well... first of all, because any team could have a shot at him.

Secondly, they aren't going to cut him. The Lions came out and stated that he'll either be traded or be a Lion next season.

They'd probably want an OT/picks for Rogers.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:15 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If there's anything Miami has a lot of, it's expendable offensive line talent...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:18 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are alot of teams interested in trading for Rogers, Mia isnt the only one...San Fran comes to mine who has no NT at all for the 3-4, Mia, Dallas, Jets, list goes on...NT's are hard to come by, and being that there are really no true NT in this draft alot of teams will be thinking about trading for him...if he's only garnering a 4th rd value id jump all over that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:20 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
if he's only garnering a 4th rd value id jump all over that
I doubt the Lions would let go of him for a 4th round pick.

He's still a dominating player and is under contract. Why trade him to draft a raw, second day prospect? Losing Rogers leaves us with a huge hole in our DLine... a hole that a 4th round pick wouldn't fix.

I'd expect a player/pick... at least a 3rd rounder... to get him away from Detroit.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:23 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLion View Post

Secondly, they aren't going to cut him. The Lions came out and stated that he'll either be traded or be a Lion next season.

Did you not read what I said? They want veteran defensive help in return, they don't neccesarily want picks, according to the article.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 02-01-2008, 12:36 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

He's still a dominating player and is under contract. Why trade him to draft a raw, second day prospect? Losing Rogers leaves us with a huge hole in our DLine... a hole that a 4th round pick wouldn't fix.

I'd expect a player/pick... at least a 3rd rounder... to get him away from Detroit.
I agree 3rd sounds right, but I find it hard to believe that after a report came out that he would be cut, that a team wants to give up a 3rd....whether or not that story had any truth to it, after something like that I cant imagine too many teams lining up to give up a 3rd and not just waiting it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:44 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
Did you not read what I said? They want veteran defensive help in return, they don't neccesarily want picks, according to the article.
Yeah, I read what you said. I've also been reading a ton of articles, quotes and analysis from the Lions, reporters that cover the Lions and other Detroit sources. One newspaper article wont convince me that they're only looking for a veteran defensive player from a team that only offers 2.

I also doubt they'll trade for an old MLB with a thick injury history. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but the Lions aren't really *close* to contending for a Super Bowl. Why trade a (relatively young) talent like Rogers for a much older stopgap who doesn't fit the defense?

Taylor could be the target... and I could see it working out. The Lions aren't pursuing a DE in FA and wont take on early in the draft, so that would make the most sense (of the two of them). They also want a CB... but I don't think there's one they'd take.

But, if they thought there was a talented OT on the roster, I can see them going that direction instead. Every position on the OLine, besides RT, is solidified... so I can imagine them trying to fill it without spending a draft pick.

In short: there are a ton of articles around this time of year. Using insight from all of them will give you a much clearer view of the situation.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:44 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I agree 3rd sounds right, but I find it hard to believe that after a report came out that he would be cut, that a team wants to give up a 3rd....whether or not that story had any truth to it, after something like that I cant imagine too many teams lining up to give up a 3rd and not just waiting it out...
Short answer: http://www.topix.com/football-player...release-rogers.

Long answer: as was already said, true NT help is thin in this draft. I don't think you could spend a 2nd round pick and get someone with the impact of Rogers, so a team that's serious about upgrading the position would be willing to secure him (and not risk him to a higher offer).

Last edited by TacticaLion : 02-01-2008 at 12:47 PM.
TacticaLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Rich Jr
Veteran

Rich Jr smells like sex panther.Rich Jr smells like sex panther.

Quote:

Well if they want OT's Miami isn't the team to deal with..
Rich Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:05 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jr View Post
Well if they want OT's Miami isn't the team to deal with..
Yep.

Would Miami trade Taylor for Rogers straight up?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:19 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He will not be cut. Marinelli has come out and said that he will not cut Rogers if they can not trade him. It'd be a dumb move to outright cut him. Either trade or keep him.

Ideally, I'd like a 2nd for him. He still can be absolutely dominant.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:21 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Yep.

Would Miami trade Taylor for Rogers straight up?
I would. As much as I love Taylor and what he has done for us on and off the field, he is on the downside of his career now and may only have a solid 2 years left in him, if that. But if he does decide to play a couple more years, he is still light years better than any DE on your roster and would help any defense out a ton.

If you want Oline help, I know it's not big but you can have Taylor and LJ Shelton who is a pretty decent player, if you were to move him inside to guard he could be real good.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Cause I don't think you guys want to pay him what he's expected to earn next season. Nope, definitely not. Lions will be lucky to get a 4th... We're talking Matt Millen here. He's the stupidest GM in the league by FAR!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
He will not be cut. Marinelli has come out and said that he will not cut Rogers if they can not trade him. It'd be a dumb move to outright cut him. Either trade or keep him.

Ideally, I'd like a 2nd for him. He still can be absolutely dominant.
A 2nd rounder.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! *deep breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
I would. As much as I love Taylor and what he has done for us on and off the field, he is on the downside of his career now and may only have a solid 2 years left in him, if that. But if he does decide to play a couple more years, he is still light years better than any DE on your roster and would help any defense out a ton.

If you want Oline help, I know it's not big but you can have Taylor and LJ Shelton who is a pretty decent player, if you were to move him inside to guard he could be real good.
If you guys trade Taylor, I think Parcells would then be more open to wanting Bobby Carpenter... because as is... I think you guys have players who can be OLBs in the 3-4.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:04 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is not a move to cut salary. The fact that we would keep him shows that it is not just a salary dump.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
This is not a move to cut salary. The fact that we would keep him shows that it is not just a salary dump.
It's not a fact that you would keep him. They're just saying that now so they don't look like stupid idiots again.... like when everyone laughed at them when Marinelli originally said they would cut him. Now everybody knows it and won't give up much.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:27 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
It's not a fact that you would keep him. They're just saying that now so they don't look like stupid idiots again.... like when everyone laughed at them when Marinelli originally said they would cut him. Now everybody knows it and won't give up much.
Of course it's not a fact that we would keep him... we'll probably trade him.

But, we wont cut him. Salary cap? Yeah, right... like Detroit is struggling. They aren't targeting any big names in FA and have the 15th pick in the draft... the numbers are fine.

You seem to forget that he was still dominant last year. This isn't a player that can't play the game or isn't the best at his position... he's a stud. Stop making this sound like we're dealing with a struggling walk-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Lions will be lucky to get a 4th... We're talking Matt Millen here. He's the stupidest GM in the league by FAR!
The Lions traded McCown and MWilliams... two below average players... to the Raiders for a 4th. (That, for one, tells you that Millen isn't the stupidest in the NFL.) You're saying that we'd be lucky to get a 4th for Rogers, a dominant player at an important position.

If you were a GM in the NFL, I think you'd have Millen beat.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

But, we wont cut him. Salary cap? Yeah, right... like Detroit is struggling. They aren't targeting any big names in FA and have the 15th pick in the draft... the numbers are fine.

You seem to forget that he was still dominant last year. This isn't a player that can't play the game or isn't the best at his position... he's a stud. Stop making this sound like we're dealing with a struggling walk-on.

The Lions traded McCown and MWilliams... two below average players... to the Raiders for a 4th. (That, for one, tells you that Millen isn't the stupidest in the NFL.) You're saying that we'd be lucky to get a 4th for Rogers, a dominant player at an important position.

Awww.... Did I hit a nerve. You do know that personal attacks will get you banned right?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:32 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
If you guys trade Taylor, I think Parcells would then be more open to wanting Bobby Carpenter... because as is... I think you guys have players who can be OLBs in the 3-4.
Agreed. But Carpenter would almost certainly play ILB in our 3-4, like he did for you in Dallas.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:33 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:

Wow... sounds like fighting words to me. :D

Old 02-01-2008, 03:38 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
[/b]
Awww.... Did I hit a nerve. You do know that personal attacks will get you banned right?
It wasn't a personal attack... I simply said that, if you were a GM in the NFL, you'd have Millen beat. You aren't and wont be, so you should feel relieved that I can't support my claim.

Hit a nerve? I'm not the one that mentioned the possibility of banning during a football conversation. Think about it...