Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:52 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It may have happened (and, if it did, it could've certainly helped the Pats prepare for the game), but it wont matter now.

You'd need undeniable proof to even think about pushing this situation further... and that just wont happen. The evidence is destroyed and a few statements are weightless without physical proof. Anyone that knew about this should have come forward before Spygate (with proof). They didn't. It's over.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:20 AM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I find it extremely difficult to believe that the Patriots are the only team that has taped stuff before . . . does the NFL really want to open up this can of worms? I bet every team has done stuff they shouldn't have . . .
Your probably right.but how many teams have been caught for cheating?
Old 02-03-2008, 02:25 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
And honestly, if the Rams organization doesn't make an issue of this . . . does it really matter? It'll be interesting to see if they make a comment . . .
Here you go...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...9?OpenDocument

Notable comments:

"I think Mike [Martz] always suspected something, but I had no knowledge of this." - Rams President John Shaw

"I've been aware of this (the taping allegations) for some time, but I'm going to hold off on commenting further until all of this comes out." - Mike Martz

"We hadn't run that play all year. Our players were upset after the game because on certain plays, especially in the red zone, (the Patriots) were calling the plays and the formation that we were going to run." - Unnamed Rams team source
NGSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:55 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Yet they have come out and said all they worked on in the final walk through were red zone plays... and they didn't make it into the red zone until the FOURTH quarter... where they scored a TD... with like 85% of the game already over... and this "unnamed source" is using this chance to cry.

Yup, I don't buy it. It's so easy to sit there and say "well I always thought something was up."

Look, if this happened, it's bull****, no two ways about it. 52442453 times worse than week 1, and something worth being marginally upset over. But based on the fact that it seems like the NFL already covered this base, I'm not going to worry about it until I see some proof.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

people need to just get over this... nothing else can be done

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:16 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
9/11
Patriots
Conspiracy?

J/k
I can't seem to find the humor in that.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:29 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

awesome another reason for me to hate the pats, u think this will affect the patriots in todays game?

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

The same way it effected them in week 2 against the Chargers.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:23 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFT.com
IF WALSH HAS VIDEO, BELICHICK DONE FOR A YEAR

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reports that, if it turns out that former Patriots employee Matt Walsh has in possession video of the Rams' final walk-through practice from Super Bowl XXXVI, New England head coach Bill Belichick will be suspended.

For a year.

Wow.

If Walsh has a such a tape, and if Belichick knows or suspects that he does, it could have a profound affect on Belichick as he prepares for the final act in a possible 19-0 season. We're not saying that it'll affect his coaching in any way; it might actually make him more focused and determined. But the knowledge that this game could be his last one for 19 months, and possibly his final time on the sidelines with the Patriots ever, is likely something that not even the modern-day Bud Grant would be able to conceal.

Indeed, if Belichick knows that he's toast, he might opt to retire before "Spygate II" hits the fan. And he'll be carrying those thoughts somewhere in his brain throughout the day and night in Phoenix.

And given that the Patriots have issued a statement calling Saturday's report from the Boston Herald "absolutely false," evidence to the contrary might compel owner Bob Kraft to fire his head coach on the heels of a fourth Super Bowl win in seven seasons.

Though plenty of folks are questioning the timing of these new disclosures, the fact is that if there's any truth to the report and that truth comes out, the guy who'll pay the biggest price is Belichick.

Either way, this is something that needs to be investigated quickly, so that if there's nothing to it the Pats and Belichick can have the cloud of suspicion removed.
Wow... I take back what I previously said.

If there still is a video out there, this will blow up. And, if there is, do we add an "*" next to the Super Bowl win?
Old 02-03-2008, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Here you go...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...9?OpenDocument

Notable comments:

"I think Mike [Martz] always suspected something, but I had no knowledge of this." - Rams President John Shaw

"I've been aware of this (the taping allegations) for some time, but I'm going to hold off on commenting further until all of this comes out." - Mike Martz

"We hadn't run that play all year. Our players were upset after the game because on certain plays, especially in the red zone, (the Patriots) were calling the plays and the formation that we were going to run." - Unnamed Rams team source
Huh, that's something else.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:09 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLion View Post
Wow... I take back what I previously said.

If there still is a video out there, this will blow up. And, if there is, do we add an "*" next to the Super Bowl win?
Obviously if there's a tape, that's it.

...*
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:27 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

I'm skeptical of any rumors that are coming out now without evidence...

but if ever evidence does come out it damages not just the Patriots seriosuly, but the entire credibility of the NFL. As much as I'd love to see bad things happen to the Patriots, I'm worried what these allegations could do the sport...I don't want it to turn into like a baseball type thing, where (with steroids in MLB's case), the game becomes somewhat of an unreliable joke.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
I'm skeptical of any rumors that are coming out now without evidence...

but if ever evidence does come out it damages not just the Patriots seriosuly, but the entire credibility of the NFL. As much as I'd love to see bad things happen to the Patriots, I'm worried what these allegations could do the sport...I don't want it to turn into like a baseball type thing, where (with steroids in MLB's case), the game becomes somewhat of an unreliable joke.
The NFL is the teflon league. They will be able to weather anything better than baseball could.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dunno how u can defend the pats after its happen more than once evidence or not the fact that it came up again just ruins the franchise for me

Old 02-03-2008, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

There's no doubt in my mind that the Pats have had very aggressive video taping procedures in place for a very long time. NFL rules allow for most of it, too. If they had their camera inside of a porta-potty on the sidelines, they would not have been breaking NFL rules. So that is why the video taping aspect has never been a big deal to me. The rule they broke had more to do with where they were and the fact that every team was told very specifically to not do it before the season.

Breaking into practices to tape the other team isn't even anything new. Jimmy Johnson said that one of the first things he was taught to do when he was hired by the Kansas City Chiefs was how to break into Dallas Cowboys practice to tape it. This shouldn't be shocking. Teams at every level have been doing stuff like this for a very long time.

I don't want that to seem like I am trying to condone the action, because if this proves to be true, it will be unacceptable. Period. Given the fact that the only thing the Rams practiced during that time was red zone plays, and they didn't even make it into the red zone until well into the fourth quarter, and they scored, I really don't think it had any affect if it happened. That doesn't condone the fact that it might have happened, but obviously the Patriots wouldn't have gained anything out of that tape until 80-90% of the game had already been played.

I just think it's easy to sit here and speculate, though. The NFL claims they have already investigated this rumor, and were satisfied in their research. How hard would it be for me to email some random reporter in Carolina and say "hey, don't tell anyone I told you this, but my brother used to work for the Patriots, and he actually crawled through the A/C ducts at the Super Dome and stole the entire Panthers playbook right out of the locker room and video taped their entire week of practice."

Then the next day, some over-zealous report that wants to see his name everywhere can write a story citing "unnamed sources."

I'll wait for some proof before I draw conclusions...
Old 02-03-2008, 03:08 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

i didnt read all that u wrote but i read the first part, to me it doesnt matter how many people has done it, but it still cheating just because everyone else does it doesnt mean its right, theyve been caught once and maybe twice if everyone has done wouldnt they get caught also? but only team that has been caught is pats

Old 02-03-2008, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

It's not cheating. It is perfectly legal to do in approved spots, which are defined as "an enclosed area with three walls and a ceiling." So, like I said, they could have stuck their camera in a porta-potty on the sideline and filmed according to NFL rules.

It's all semantics. They chose to be aggressive and operate outside of the NFL rules and they got hammered, as they deserved to be.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:06 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

GIANTS GIANTS!.. help us god!

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:11 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

if its not cheating then why such a big deal? why are they getting fines and getting thier draft picks taken away

Old 02-03-2008, 04:14 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seriously, as a Rams fan, I am more concerned about the crap that is the 3-13 abomination I cheer for than the super bowl we lost 6 years ago. We lost, I am over it. All of this talk of it makes me sad. 20-17!
Old 02-03-2008, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
if its not cheating then why such a big deal? why are they getting fines and getting thier draft picks taken away
1. Because they did break the rules after being very specifically told not to.

2. To appease the media. The thing became a three headed monster.

I've said since day one if it had been Kansas City getting busted in Atlanta, no one would care. But it was Boston in New York.

Game, set, match.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
1. Because they did break the rules after being very specifically told not to.
Which does make it a big deal after all...EDIT: And cheating

Quote:
2. To appease the media. The thing became a three headed monster.

I've said since day one if it had been Kansas City getting busted in Atlanta, no one would care. But it was Boston in New York.

Game, set, match.
I don't think they were penalized just to appease the media. I think it has more to do with the severity of the crime.

That being said, obviously KC in ATL would not have generated as much attention. But that's because what has KC accomplished lately? When the three time Super Bowl Champions get busted for cheating, obviously it will generate much more interest. That doesn't mean its any less serious if KC did it, but obviously more people are going to care when its the people on top who did it.

Last edited by JK17 : 02-03-2008 at 04:27 PM.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:08 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Then the next day, some over-zealous report that wants to see his name everywhere can write a story citing "unnamed sources."

I'll wait for some proof before I draw conclusions...
Unnamed sources are the lifeblood of journalism.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:09 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a Ram Fan, this pisses me off. But what can we do about it? Nothing.

I'm more pissed about the 3 - 13 season we just had, than what happened a few years ago.

The Chief.
Eric Church - Smoke A Little Smoke
http://youtu.be/XxWjtWONuGc
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:52 AM    (permalink
kingjames
Rookie

kingjames needs more cowbell.

Where there is smoke there is fire.

I also think the Arlen Specter letter to Goodell is going to expose whatever needs to be exposed.

I suspect a very ugly, distracting off season in Pats land with lots of "investigations" going on.
kingjames is offline   Reply With Quote