Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:20 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Next Years Playoffs:
AFC:
1-New England
2-Indianapolis
3-San Diego
4-Cleveland
5-Jacksonville
6-Cinncinatti

NFC:
1-Green Bay
2-Dallas
3-New Orleans
4-San Fran
5-New York G
6-Washington

Thats right I said it Cincy and Cleveland will make it to the playoffs. And San Fran will capture the NFC West. But im just having fun here

Cincy 20 v San Diego 31: LT runs all over the Cincy D
Jacksonville 34 v Cleveland 28: Good high scoring game.
Washington 31 v New Orleans 38: Shootout, also I think Campbell has breakout year.
New York G 28 v San Fran 26: Defending champs have something to prove. Also Alex Smith in Martz system = playoffs! :)

San Diego 24 v Indianapolis 17: Cromartie has another big game.
Jacksonville 13 v New England 31: NE's high powered offense continues to blowout teams.
New Orleans 17 v Dallas 27: Romo finally wins in the playoffs.
New York G 21 v Green Bay 28: revenge!

San Diego 23 v New England 21: This game will be the defining moment in LT's career.
Dallas 14 v Green Bay 23: Dallas will never win in Green Bay.

San Diego 20 v Green Bay 27: Favre rides off into the sunset.

Like I said, just having fun dont take this seriously
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:23 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My early favorite to win the NFC North is actually the Vikings. They need to shore up their pass rush and Jackson needs to not be an idiot first though. Both of those are questions, but I find them more likely than the Packers repeating consider that I think a LOT of their talent played over their heads this year.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:24 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
My early favorite to win the NFC North is actually the Vikings. They need to shore up their pass rush and Jackson needs to not be an idiot first though. Both of those are questions, but I find them more likely than the Packers repeating consider that I think a LOT of their talent played over their heads this year.
We've got a young team so I think we'll just get better
Old 02-04-2008, 02:27 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
We've got a young team so I think we'll just get better
Young players don't necessarily just "get better". Old players do tend to regress (past 33-34 or so) but the inverse doesn't happen nearly as often.

Anyway, I expect a good six months of "OMG the Packers are so great" conversations, so I'll leave it at that for now. There are a lot of players and games that I just don't see the Packers replicating next year. They got a lot of breaks and a lot of players that put forward better efforts than can be consistantly expected of them.

It's actually very similar to the Bears in 2006, I'm just not a Packers fan so I'm not as blind to it as I was last year.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Young players don't necessarily just "get better". Old players do tend to regress (past 33-34 or so) but the inverse doesn't happen nearly as often.

Anyway, I expect a good six months of "OMG the Packers are so great" conversations, so I'll leave it at that for now. There are a lot of players and games that I just don't see the Packers replicating next year. They got a lot of breaks and a lot of players that put forward better efforts than can be consistantly expected of them.

It's actually very similar to the Bears in 2006, I'm just not a Packers fan so I'm not as blind to it as I was last year.
On the contrary i felt some of our guys underachived this year and had a better season last year, mostly the OG's, Jenkins, AJ, and Collins
Old 02-04-2008, 02:32 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
On the contrary i felt some of our guys underachived this year and had a better season last year, mostly the OG's, Jenkins, AJ, and Collins
Of course you did.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

the patriots have a real shot to go undefeated or dam near it again next year. with the easiest schedule in the leagu and an average winning percentage for opponents of something like .346. they have a great shot again.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:17 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I think you are overlooking our success late in the year. A lot of our young players did make noticeable improvements. We had a lot of close games earlier in the year and a lot of blowouts late in the year. If we do fall next year I would expect injuries to play a big role - we were one of the healthiest teams this year. I do think the talent is there, we aren't losing any key players, and our salary cap is in good enough shape that we could even sign a big FA if we really wanted to.

Also I'd rate our front office and coaching staff pretty high which is the best indication of perennial success.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Last edited by umphrey : 02-04-2008 at 03:23 PM.
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:20 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
the patriots have a real shot to go undefeated or dam near it again next year. with the easiest schedule in the leagu and an average winning percentage for opponents of something like .346. they have a great shot again.
How can you possibly be talking about going undefeated already? Most coaches get mad when you talk about playoffs early in the season, well it hasn't even started yet and at this point in time the Patriots aren't anything more than another NFL team that isn't perfect, probably just top 3 in the league before the offseason starts.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 02-04-2008, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Then again, u have the Super Bowl Looser curse, ur Defense isnt getting younger. The bears were supposed to have one of the easiest schedules this year too.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
Then again, u have the Super Bowl Looser curse, ur Defense isnt getting younger. The bears were supposed to have one of the easiest schedules this year too.
thats why i always said that if the defense were to come back, we would have a lefit shot at going deep into the playoffs. i advised trading our #7 pick this year and get more picks, to get more younger players so they can develop for at least a year or so, before being thrown into start.

well, the patriots have each team in the afc east twice, rams, 49ers, sehawks and cardinals, raiders, cheifs, broncos and chargers, colts and steelers. doesnt seem to hard to me. i think the colts and chargers will be the toughest, and steelers and seahawks are in the middle, then everyone else could be easy wins.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:37 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Generally you make good points and predictions, but when it comes to the Packers that doesn't hold true. Everything that you wrote about it this year seemed to be wrong.

As for it being very similar to the Bears, I don't think so. Other than being in the NFC North there's not a whole lot in common. The Bears won 13 games despite not having having an offense. They were aging. They traded away their starting runningback in offseason. And Finally were plagued by injuries this year. As for us we have a very good offense, are the youngest team in the league, I doubt we'll make a stupid offseason move like that, and injuries are always possible but you can't predict that and besides a couple positions we have good depth. I don't see the parallels between the two. There's nothing wrong with wishful thinking, but I don't think it's anything more than that.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:38 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Super Bowl Prediction? Chargers / Cowboys
MVP Prediction? Drew Brees
#1 Pick in 2009 NFL Draft? Michael Crabtree
Disappointments/Surprises? Browns / 49ers
Things you are looking forward too? Reggie Bush’s Breakout Season
Players to Retire? Zach Thomas, Rodney Harrison, Jonathan Ogden, John Lynch, Kurt Warner, etc.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Pats @ Colts in the Luke in November.

The world awaits.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:43 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Super Bowl Prediction? Cowboys over Colts
MVP Prediction? Ladanian Tomlinson
#1 Pick in 2009 NFL Draft? Kansas City
Disappointments/Surprises? Seattle/St. Louis
Things you are looking forward too? Start of next season
Players to Retire? Michael Strahan
Old 02-04-2008, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Generally you make good points and predictions, but when it comes to the Packers that doesn't hold true. Everything that you wrote about it this year seemed to be wrong.

As for it being very similar to the Bears, I don't think so. Other than being in the NFC North there's not a whole lot in common. The Bears won 13 games despite not having having an offense. They were aging. They traded away their starting runningback in offseason. And Finally were plagued by injuries this year. As for us we have a very good offense, are the youngest team in the league, I doubt we'll make a stupid offseason move like that, and injuries are always possible but you can't predict that and besides a couple positions we have good depth. I don't see the parallels between the two. There's nothing wrong with wishful thinking, but I don't think it's anything more than that.
I still think the main reason for ur success was Favres revival. Im not saying ur team was bad, but Favre just played like he was playing 10 years ago and i just dont see him suddenly play like a God again.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Super Bowl Prediction? Chargers over Packers
MVP Prediction? Devin HESTER!! just kiddin, prolly LT or Manning
#1 Pick in 2009 NFL Draft? Panthers
Disappointments/Surprises? Romo/Moss JORDYZZZZ NELSONZZZ/Rams
Things you are looking forward too? Devin Hester/Jordy Nelson/Draft/New season
Players to Retire? Favre, Strahan, Feagles, Anderson

Last edited by Gay Ork Wang : 02-04-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:00 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:

Every person in the world is aging, but the Bears are by no means an old team. Our offense line is older, and Moose (who isn't even our top receiver). That's about it.

I don't think you have a very good offense at all, and therein lies the difference. I would venture to say that every player on their offense played above his expected abilities last year with the exception of maybe Chad Clifton and Greg Jennings. The Packers really aren't hard to scheme against, and I still question why most teams have trouble with it.

On defense I think the team is much more naturally talented, though I think the secondary played above it's head this year, and a few guys in the front 7 (KGB for certain).

I don't think the Packers will be bad next year mind you. I still think they will have a winning record and would put them ahead of the Bears (though they still probably won't beat them). I just think the Vikings are from top to bottom in better shape going into next year. We'll see.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Is it just me or does it seem like that Lovie Smith really knows how to play the Packers?

Old 02-04-2008, 04:03 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
And everything I said about them the prior two years was more or less dead on. I view last year as more of an aberration. I expected the Packers to be a good team in 2008, which I think they will be, I just don't think they'll win as many games this time around.

And to the previous poster, I agree with the Packers having an excellent front office. I'm much less impressed, and convinced, by the coaching staff. Like I said, the Packers are not a hard team to scheme against, and they were thoroughly outcoached and outmanned against the Giants doing what I think every team should do.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:04 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like that Lovie Smith really knows how to play the Packers?
It's the Tampa 2.

You put pressure on Favre with the front 4 and drop back people into zone and Favre will throw it up for grabs.

I'll never understand why more people don't exploit this. Favre hates to take sacks (and I would argue hates to be hit too) and will chuck it if people get in his face. He's also not good at reading zones, never has been.

It's not just the Bears. Favre had trouble with the Bucs back in the day and the Rams when Lovie was coach. That's the main reason we hired the guy.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

We'll be making these again in August but for fun:

Super Bowl Prediction? Packers defeat Chargers (We got the Colts and Cowboys at home in the reg season which helps, otherwise I'd be hesitant)

MVP Prediction? Brian Westbrook

#1 Pick in 2009 NFL Draft? I really don't even have a guess.

Disappointments/Surprises? Hmm Jay Cutler will have a big year. Marvin Harrison won't get back to his normal level of play.

Things you are looking forward to? Draft and training camp.

Players to Retire? Keenan McCardell and all the old fat Nose Tackles.

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:15 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's the Tampa 2.

You put pressure on Favre with the front 4 and drop back people into zone and Favre will throw it up for grabs.

I'll never understand why more people don't exploit this. Favre hates to take sacks (and I would argue hates to be hit too) and will chuck it if people get in his face. He's also not good at reading zones, never has been.

It's not just the Bears. Favre had trouble with the Bucs back in the day and the Rams when Lovie was coach. That's the main reason we hired the guy.
We thought we had you figured out the first time we played - Favre dropped back and threw middle screens (which is supposed to be a big weakness for the cover 2) every other play but Urlacher made the tackle for a 2 yard gain every time. We never adjusted, and lost because of it.

Same thing happened in the Giants game except with WR screens trying to counter the pass rush. Point being - we suck horribly at making adjustments both offensively and defensively and I think that is by far our biggest coaching weakness. Otherwise I like McCarthy and co. a lot, can't really argue against a guy that brought the best out of Favre after 16 seasons.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Every person in the world is aging, but the Bears are by no means an old team. Our offense line is older, and Moose (who isn't even our top receiver). That's about it.

I don't think you have a very good offense at all, and therein lies the difference. I would venture to say that every player on their offense played above his expected abilities last year with the exception of maybe Chad Clifton and Greg Jennings. The Packers really aren't hard to scheme against, and I still question why most teams have trouble with it.

On defense I think the team is much more naturally talented, though I think the secondary played above it's head this year, and a few guys in the front 7 (KGB for certain).

I don't think the Packers will be bad next year mind you. I still think they will have a winning record and would put them ahead of the Bears (though they still probably won't beat them). I just think the Vikings are from top to bottom in better shape going into next year. We'll see.
Don't have a very good offense at all? We have a top 5 QB. 2 WRs who could be #1s (Driver and Jennings). 3 WRs who could be #3s (Jones, Martin, Robinson). A first year running back who was second in the league only to LT since he took over as the primary back. An emerging TE. Pro Bowl calibur tackles and a solid center on our line. The only thing I could see a problem with is the guards. Ryan Grant you can say he's still unproven, but then why is Adrian Peterson being considered as the greatest RB of all time (even for the sane people not going that far have him as a top 5 current back)? In 12 games Grant has 1159 yards(97 ypg) and 11 TDs(.92 TDpg). In 14 games Peterson has 1341 yards(96 ypg) and 12 TDs(.86 TDpg). That's a bit of a double standard.

As for KGB, he didn't play over his head at all. He had 9.5 sacks which is very good, but that's only his 5th highest total of his career. Don't see how that qualifies as overachieving. Also it has to do with taking him out of the starting role and back as a situational pass rusher where he belongs. Take a look at Mark Anderson.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Super Bowl Predictions: Packers vs Steelers
MVP: Mr Gisele Bundchen
#1 pick in 2009: Micheal Oher to the Chiefs
Dissappointments/Surprises: Chargers/ 49'ers
Things you are looking foward to: Draft and even preseason
Players to retire: Tedy Bruschi, Junior Seau, Zack Thomas, John Lynch