Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-05-2008, 08:11 AM    (permalink
butterman42d

This is what the draft boils down to for the falcons what 3 or 4 guys can come and make an impact this season.

Let say they play in at least 8 games this year.

Out the first 3 rounds what 3 players can help us get to the playoffs?

1st Rd
QB Matt Ryan
RB Darren McFadden
DT Glenn Dorsey
OT Jake Long
QB Brian Brohm

2 rd we have 2 picks
QB Andre’ Woodson
DT Pat Sims
RB Ray Rice
RB Jamaal Charles
DT Dre Moore
LB Philip Wheeler
Anthony Collins, OT
Chad Henne, QB
Red Bryant, NT
Joe Flacco, QB

3rd RD
Tashard Choice, RB
Matt Forte RB
Kevisn Smith RB UCF
Oniel Cousins, OT

My picks
RB Darren McFadden He number 1 rb 1000 rusher
QB Andre’ Woodson He will start at least 8 games
LB Philip Wheeler He is a day 1 stater this allows you to cut brookings
Old 02-05-2008, 08:19 AM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think your way off on Andre Woodson he might need one year or two but if he falls out of the 1st round I think he can be a potential steal.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:24 AM    (permalink
butterman42d

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterman42d View Post
This is what the draft boils down to for the falcons what 3 or 4 guys can come and make an impact this season.

Let say they play in at least 8 games this year.

Out the first 3 rounds what 3 players can help us get to the playoffs?

1st Rd
QB Matt Ryan
RB Darren McFadden
DT Glenn Dorsey
OT Jake Long
QB Brian Brohm

2 rd we have 2 picks
QB Andre’ Woodson
DT Pat Sims
RB Ray Rice
RB Jamaal Charles
DT Dre Moore
LB Philip Wheeler
Anthony Collins, OT
Chad Henne, QB
Red Bryant, NT
Joe Flacco, QB

3rd RD
Tashard Choice, RB
Matt Forte RB
Kevisn Smith RB UCF
Oniel Cousins, OT

My picks
1st rd pick # 3 overall RB Darren McFadden He number 1 rb 1000 rusher
2nd rd Pick A QB Andre’ Woodson He will start at least 8 games/ Steal of the draft
2 Round 2b from Houston LB Philip Wheeler He is a day 1 stater this allows you to cut brookings
by picking up Phillip this allows to save money by cutting brookings

We can at least sign two big name free agents a OL and DL
We all know that dunn or brookings are going to get cut becasue we did not re-sign pat kernery
Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 AM    (permalink
Mr. Myogi
Rookie

Mr. Myogi hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1...Jake Long/ Dorsey (I'm torn between the two.)
2...Andre Woodson is a great pick up
2...Philip Wheeler
3...Matt Forte

I Think this would be a great first day for us. I'm leaning more towards Jake Long simply because the defensive line will more than likely be upgraded in free agency but if he or Sedrick Ellis is there you have to give them a 2nd look.
Secondly, I don't think our biggest problem is the QB position, but if he slips to the 2nd you have to get Woodson.

*********"Wax on, Wax off Danielson"**********
Mr. Myogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:07 AM    (permalink
butterman42d

If we can not take Derrick Macfadden
Jake long OT
A. Woodson Qb
P. wheeler LB
Kevin smith RB He runs like Rookie Adrian Peterson
Old 02-05-2008, 11:26 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Obviously butterman you're pretty derranged. Woodson is bad, and his stock is plummeting because of it...his pathetic showing at the Senior Bowl lets people know he just can't get the job done, not only is he out of the first round he may be out of the first day unless he has some miracle turn around where he doesn't think he's a MLB pitcher. This team isn't about making the playoffs this year, it's about building a foundation that can begin a winning tradition...that's what we need here. We need to have a solid draft, and yes, this team with a good draft could likely end up 8-8 and POSSIBLY slip into the wild card spot in the playoffs...Woodson won't be the guy leading the charge though, I'd rather have Shockley back there...and since you're new around here I'll let everyone else kinda explain what that statement means coming from me.

Wheeler is a stud, and would be a great player for this team...however...who the hell is Brookings? If you're talking about Keith Brooking, I'm not so sure we can just cut him that quickly, it's going to depend on if we bring Demo back here or if we think that Nicholas is ready to start...we have to keep depth at LB and cutting Brooking, who has fallen off considerably, but is still a veteran leader and knows the game extremely well, could be a big mistake. I'm not a fan, but we can't just say okay we're going to get Wheeler and hope and pray that he's there that late, and what if the coach decides he wants Brooking on the WLB spot after not re-signing Demo and doesn't deem Nicholas ready to be a starter from day 1...I know his contract is a killer, but we have to work ourselves out of cap trouble, not just keep putting it off.

As far as your top 5 list goes...Ellis fits our needs better than Dorsey at this point...so he'd be a better selection, not that Dorsey wouldn't be an impact player, just that all of those guys belong above Matt Ryan. We don't know exactly what the DC has in mind either though, he could covet a prospect like Gholston and put him at the WLB spot messing all of our thinking up.

I also think you're missing a LOT of prospects who could come in day 1 and contribute...round 3 is where you can find some serious gems that are incredible football players but are at positions that don't require really high draft picks, or maybe they played at a smaller school and didn't get the chance to have all the attention that the higher round guys are getting...there's a lot that goes on in the draft, and I think if our team has a big board that is only 5 players deep in each round, we'll have a terrible draft.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
butterman42d

A. Woodson

He is a pretty good Qb he beat the national champs this year?
He put up good numbers t at Ketucky. Also he plays in the sec and thats speaks for itself.

He kept his team in alot of ball games this year.
He may not be great but he is not terrible.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:22 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How does it boil down to which rookies will make a good rookie impact? Rookie impacts are nice, but I would much rather get players like Roddy White or Michael Boley who get better every year and then explode.

Just saying. Rookie impact isnt everything. Getting Woodson in the 2nd and having him sit for his rookie year and have him emerge as a stud in the next year or so isnt a bad pick just because he didnt have a rookie impact.

And welcome to the boards.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:30 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterman42d View Post
A. Woodson

He is a pretty good Qb he beat the national champs this year?
He put up good numbers t at Ketucky. Also he plays in the sec and thats speaks for itself.

He kept his team in alot of ball games this year.
He may not be great but he is not terrible.
Oh come on...look at what he's done, just because he played in the SEC doesn't make him good. That's why I HATE being from the south, everyone here believes that the best football in the WORLD is played in the SEC, and that's just not the case. There are many different styles and each conference has its own, just because you're partial to the way the SEC plays doesn't mean that because a player plays there makes them better. Honestly the speed of the ACC is more kin to that of the NFL, the power of the SEC is more like the NFL, but there isn't a college conference that's even close...no matter what.

Just please look at what he did at the Senior Bowl...that windup is going to get him KILLED without an incredible offensive line. He's got a LOT of work to do on mechanics, more than any QB in the draft, and that's going to keep people away from him, especially in the 2nd round.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote