Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-06-2008, 01:17 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Forum Mock thread

Heres a thread to discuss the Falcons situation in the Forum Mock.

How does your big board look like Shiver, after this trade? This is what I am thinking

1. Sedrick Ellis
2. Jake Long
3. Darren McFadden
4a. Jonathan Stewart
4b. Glenn Dorsey

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:47 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ideally I would like to add a franchise LT to protect Anderson. I am worried Long won't make it to #5.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:54 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is 5 for sure?

What are your thoughts on Clady at 5? Ideally, I would like a trade down, maybe to the Patriots to jump the Jets, and pick up Clady then. That would be sick, especially cause Clady is a better pass blocker than Long.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 02-06-2008, 07:24 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think if Long is gone @ #5 then we should move down to the #12 area if we can get someone there interested in moving up to pickup McFadden, then in that area we can see if Clady slips, if not, it's a good value spot for Otah. I wouldn't mind picking up Ellis.

I think we got hosed big time on that trade...no pick in the 2nd round in one of the deepest drafts as far as OTs go in recent years for a 1 year wonder QB. Cleveland wins...
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was either that or Matt Ryan, and you would have been complaining either way. Besides, I got a pro-bowl QB for what Houston got for a 1-game wonder in Schaub.

Last edited by Shiver : 02-06-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
I think if Long is gone @ #5 then we should move down to the #12 area if we can get someone there interested in moving up to pickup McFadden, then in that area we can see if Clady slips, if not, it's a good value spot for Otah. I wouldn't mind picking up Ellis.

I think we got hosed big time on that trade...no pick in the 2nd round in one of the deepest drafts as far as OTs go in recent years for a 1 year wonder QB. Cleveland wins...

How is it a bad trade? As Shiver said, you've got to look at what Houston got for Shaub, who is a couple game wonder. While Anderson has his concerns, he is basically a more polished Flacco. (Size, big arm)
Old 02-06-2008, 04:25 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like him, but giving up 2 2nd round picks in the SAME draft is not what Houston gave up...they gave up essentially a 2nd and a 3rd in the same draft, because future picks weigh less...than current picks. So, we didn't get the same deal that Houston did, we got a QB who had an incredible offensive line finally and did well, it goes to show you that the trenches are what matter...Atlanta would be a bad situation for him. I dunno...I just hate giving up that much for a QB with big time question marks...honestly I'd have rather drafted Ryan and then picked up offensive line help in the 2nd...and why did it have to be Ryan? Were there NO other prospects left in the draft? We didn't HAVE to have a QB in round 1, no matter what critics say...it just sucks...
Old 02-06-2008, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
I like him, but giving up 2 2nd round picks in the SAME draft is not what Houston gave up...they gave up essentially a 2nd and a 3rd in the same draft, because future picks weigh less...than current picks.
I got Cleveland's third round pick from this year's draft.

Quote:
and why did it have to be Ryan? Were there NO other prospects left in the draft? We didn't HAVE to have a QB in round 1, no matter what critics say...it just sucks...
If I wasn't going to get Anderson I would have taken Ryan in a heartbeat, especially at #5, with Ellis, McFadden, Long all seemingly gone.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:01 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

And you know he would. He isnt joking around when he says that.

So are you going to try to trade down now Shiver?

Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Yeah, but there aren't any takers. Although I have one interesting lead...

Old 02-06-2008, 07:30 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

how far into the draft are you guys? How long do we have for our first selection?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:42 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

friday at noon, the draft begins.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Oh okay, cool, so why did we try to move so early? Not trying to bust on this strategy but...
Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Any trading down talk is merely exploratory. That is 'if "player A" is available then I will trade up to #5 and give you a 2nd round pick,' it wouldn't occur immediately.

Hypothetically speaking: Jonathan Stewart or Ryan Clady?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:31 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I'd have to say Clady, I like Stewart much better, but with our new 'franchise' QB we have to keep him standing up, and I think Clady is a very good pass blocking LT.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:09 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

I think the trade was fine. You can't really argue with Cleveland insisting on two seconds, and if that's what it took, that's what it took.

I also agree that Clady should be the choice ahead of Stewart. Anderson, had superb protection in Cleveland, and he'd need that in ATL too.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 AM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anderson? wow. he's horrible Shiv. he locks onto one receiver every play and is a backup level QB at best. Schaub actually has talent. Anderson has good players around him. Though you could make the argument that White is almost as good as Edwards, and that Crumpler is as good as Winslow. the OL is **** compared to Cleveland's BAMF OL.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:32 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Well he was a first year starting QB. He is going to make some mistakes that he needs to change. I am sure he can learn to look at more of his options the longer he is the league.

Fact is though, he has more upside and tools than any QB in this draft.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Actually I disagree with that. The upside of guys like Dixon and Johnson have far more potential. Johnson's ability is already very VERY good as a pocket passer...just a bonus that he runs well. So if you want to look at upside Johnson has the most, Woodson has great upside, but its going to take a complete re-tooling of his motion. So, that's not a fact at all...he's farther into his development which is valuable for a team that's looking to win sooner rather than later, but the Falcons aren't that.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:25 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Matt Ryan is better than Derek Anderson.

Clady is very overrated. He does not impress when I watch him, his triangle numbers are good but he is small in places where offensive tackles need to be big. Like the thighs, calves, and butt. He is driven back too easily and is much too raw to be a day one good offensive tackle.

Personally I like neither too much at pick five, referring to Stewart and Clady. But I think Stewart is a more sure pick with just as much potential. The only downside is runningback is very deep this year.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:03 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Have we definitely been given the #5 pick, and if so, why?

If Long is off the table, and one of Dorsey and Ellis is available, I'd be tempted to take one of them.

However, we really do need a franchise LT, and I'm not convinced that we can get one in the 3rd.

One option, which might be worth investigating, is whether Denver might be willing to trade up for Dorsey/Ellis, if they're there. Denver has an enormous need for a DT. We should then be able to get Clady at 12, which is far better value. We would still be ahead of the two major LT-needing teams, Carolina and Chicago. And we could pick up good value from Denver. Might be worth checking out, whoever is responsible for that.

If we do take a DT with the 1st pick, then we are not totally screwed at OT. Weiner, if healthy, is a perfectly functional short-term solution at LT, and there will be various options in FA to play at RT, or RG if Clabo stays at RT. We can then draft a project, like Benedict or Cousins, in the 3rd, and give them a full year to adjust.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:34 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with denver =)

just letting you know though that we dont plan to trade up but if the right deal comes, we'll definitely consider it.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:26 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

I'm not involved at all, but the standard difference between #5 and #12 is 500 points.

Denver also picks at #42, which rates at 480 points.

So the value works out almost perfectly... something to think about, and would appear to make sense for both parties.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:10 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Interesting. Hadn't noticed that the Lions have taken the #4 pick from KC. Perhaps J.Long could be there at #5 after all...
Old 02-08-2008, 10:15 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Its coming up soon, so what does our big board look like now? Have we traded out of #5?