Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 02-06-2008, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.
Default Offseason

We all know this is a big task ahead for Tuna and crew. How do you see his approach? I tend to think he is going to stick with what/who he knows as he has shown so far. Some big decisions are:

Who is the QB of the future? (Beck?, Trade for D. Anderson?, Draft Ryan or wait until later to draft someone to compete with Beck ala Henne or Flacco?)

--- I like the last choice especially if it is Henne in round 2. I think Beck can be pretty decent if surrounded with an OL and some capable playmakers.

Do they trade Jason Taylor for picks?

--- I say without a doubt (though I do expect to get at least a high #2 or some combo of picks and/or young players. Maybe even a 2009 pick)

Do they trade down from #1?

--- I say yes, if you make a somewhat fair deal (Not necessarily draft chart friendly, but a decent combo of picks and players) I would love nothing more than for them to have at least 8 to 9 picks in the first 100 players in this draft. (They currently have 5)

Do you spend big in free agency?

--- Tricky one. Depends on who they go after, but I would like to see them focus on some young guys who may be getting better and fit their system. Perhaps a Corey Williams and or Isaac Sopoaga for the DL, Travelle Wharton, Max Starks and/or Jordan Gross at OT and a Bernard Berrian at WR. I would like them to stay away from big money veterans who do not have a lot left. I know Parcells will sign some "hold the fort" veterans that he is familiar with. He has done that at every stop so far. But those guys will be leadership guys to train the young guys on the right way to do things.

There are other big decisions looming:

Which OL should be here for the long haul and at what position?
Is Carey a G or RT? Worth the long term extension? Do you try guys like Alabi, Toledo and Mormino at their respective positions and see if you have something there? Do you resign Hadnot? Is Satele a C or do you put him at G? All of these are options at this point........

Are there other guys worth trading?

I don't think Zach fits, but to be honest, you will not get anything for him with his age and medical situation. Can you get anything for anyone else? If they don't think someone will be there when they are contenders, I think the best move is to dump them for whatever you can get.

All in all, an interesting offseason awaits. Free agency to start and the draft to follow. Need to hit on both to get this thing going the right direction....
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:54 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To answer just a couple of your questions there:

I would trade JT only if we can get a first day pick or a comparable valued player in return for him.

I would love to trade out of the number one pick, but only for multiple picks and players. If we can get Dalla's two 1st, and either Carpenter, Spears or both, I would certainly do it. If not, I would stay and select Gholston, Ellis, or Chris Long.

The only FA's i would like to see us pursue are Asante (For the right price), Marcus Trufant, Alan Faneca, Flozell Adams, or Max Starks. The Cb's are the most important, but any additions would be welcomed so we can use our draft picks elsewhere.

The only other QB we will be considering will be Flacco. If he is there in the 2nd at the Chargers pick, we could take him. Our first pick in the 2nd would be a little bit of a reach at this point, but it is not out of the realm of possibility considering how high I hear the coaches are on this guy.

Hope that helps, how does that sound to you?

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Who is the QB of the future? (Beck?, Trade for D. Anderson?, Draft Ryan or wait until later to draft someone to compete with Beck ala Henne or Flacco?)
If It's me, It depends on what chances pop up for you. If we trade down with Dallas and a guy like Brian Brohm falls into your lap at 22 overall, you have to make that pick. You don't reach for a QB in the draft IMO. Signing a vet or even keeping Trent Green for a year like grooming Beck is fine the only way you make a move for a QB is if a franchise guy like Brohm falls into your lap. BTW, for my money, Brohm is the best QB in the draft IMO. Just had a down year.

Quote:
Do they trade Jason Taylor for picks?
Only if you can get a 1st rounder for it or a combo of a high 2nd and some later picks.

Quote:
Do they trade down from #1?
If Dallas is offering the number 22 overall, number 28 overall, a 3rd rounder and Marion Barber then absolutely you need to take that trade. Shop the pick around, I'd love to move into the 5-8 range and have a shot at Gholston or Kenny Phillips while also getting more picks. It's going to be very hard to trade down tho.

Quote:
Do you spend big in free agency?
You don't spend big, you spend smart. Build up the depth of the team, don't break the bank fighting for the only LT avialable (Max Starks) or a franchise CB (Asante Samuel). Blowing your budget on high priced guys like that will kill our cap and they will not get us where we want to be. Save the money for when we are ready to make a serious run at the playoffs. Instead go after young up and coming and rotational guys that will get our talent and depth to a more respectable level. Randy Starks (DT-Tennessee Titans), Landon Johnson (LB- Cincy Bengals), Randall G ay (CB-NE Patriots), Karl Paymah (CB-Denver Broncos), DJ Hackett (WR-Seattle Seahawks) are all UFA that would be modest signing that wouldn't break the bank but still add some depth and talent to our roster while keeping the flexibility to build thru the draft and eventually land the big FA or 2 down the road to get us over the top.

Quote:
Do you resign Hadnot?
Too inconsistent. I think you look to give one of your other young guys a chance and inside while you try to settle on who your anchors at the OT spots are gonna be. Finding a true franchise LT and moving Carey to RT will go a long way to getting this line on track to playing at the talent level it needs to play at.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

To bow305:

I agree that they need to get appropriate value for JT, but I also feel it is important to get him out of here. In no way has he been a distraction, but I think it is important to get rid of the people who have been there for the losing culture. JT is a HOF, IMO and deserves to end up on a winner. Offer him to a playoff team (JAX, WSH) for their #1 and see if they bite. ( I doubt it)

As for the #1, we agree that trading down is the way to go. They just have to make sure that they bring back enough. To me, Dallas' 2 picks and a #3 along with Barber may be enough (if they threw in a 2 or 3 next yr) The key for this yr is to hit on the picks.

As for free agents, I think the CB's (Trufant, Asumogha) are going to be franchised with the exception of Samuel. I would not pay him the bucks he is looking for. Draft at least one on day 1 and take a flyer on day 2 on the CB from Wisconsin who just tore up his knee. He was going no later than round 2 had he stayed healthy. Wait a yr. We all know this is not a one yr project.

Combine is in 2 weeks, FA in 3 weeks. Can't wait for the news........
Old 02-07-2008, 09:15 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

To Joey jr.

Completely disagree on Brohm. The guy has never really shown me anything other than he gets hurt a lot.. I have no problem with a Henne or Flacco in round 2. Both are big guys with big arms. Henne has a lot of experience and Flacco is more raw, but I do like both better then Brohm if they decide to go QB..

We agree on JT. Though I think he may need to go no matter what........

We agree on moving the #1. I would rather get a pick or two from someone up high and still get Gholston. At this point, I don't see that happening. I really think Gholston is going to fly up the board by the way. Physical freak who I think goes no lower than #2 by draft day....

Free agents. I agree they should sign the young guys with potential. Again, I really think a Corey Williams and/or Sopoaga for the DL really would make a difference and both have their best football ahead of them. They also have to find some quality OL to keep whoever their QB is, standing...
Old 02-07-2008, 05:21 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
To Joey jr.

Completely disagree on Brohm. The guy has never really shown me anything other than he gets hurt a lot.. I have no problem with a Henne or Flacco in round 2. Both are big guys with big arms. Henne has a lot of experience and Flacco is more raw, but I do like both better then Brohm if they decide to go QB..

We agree on JT. Though I think he may need to go no matter what........

We agree on moving the #1. I would rather get a pick or two from someone up high and still get Gholston. At this point, I don't see that happening. I really think Gholston is going to fly up the board by the way. Physical freak who I think goes no lower than #2 by draft day....

Free agents. I agree they should sign the young guys with potential. Again, I really think a Corey Williams and/or Sopoaga for the DL really would make a difference and both have their best football ahead of them. They also have to find some quality OL to keep whoever their QB is, standing...

Well I guess we both agree completely on the QB's in the draft then. I hate Brohm as well.

I have also stated the same about Gholston. I think come draft day he will be our selection, whether it be a shocker or not.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 02-09-2008, 09:09 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
Well I guess we both agree completely on the QB's in the draft then. I hate Brohm as well.
I think Brohm has the most upside of any QB in the draft. I wouldn't take him in the top 10 because I think this is a weak draft for QBs but I don't think when it comes to overall talent and leadership he is the best there is. Definately questions with healthy and scheme but if he gets with a solid coach who brings him in right and things click, I think he'll be real good. Brohm is the only QB in this draft that could possisbly have Pro Bowl potential. He is definately boom or bust but he is my favorite QB prospect in the draft.

If your gonna take a QB in a very weak QB draft, you take the one with the most upside. I just have never seen why teams "settle" for guys at QB. The way we have "settled" for Jay Fielder and Brian Griese. You take a shot to get the best player with the highest ceiling because that is what is needed out of the position in todays game. To me the guy with the highest ceiling this year is Brohm.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:18 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
I think Brohm has the most upside of any QB in the draft. I wouldn't take him in the top 10 because I think this is a weak draft for QBs but I don't think when it comes to overall talent and leadership he is the best there is. Definately questions with healthy and scheme but if he gets with a solid coach who brings him in right and things click, I think he'll be real good. Brohm is the only QB in this draft that could possisbly have Pro Bowl potential. He is definately boom or bust but he is my favorite QB prospect in the draft.

If your gonna take a QB in a very weak QB draft, you take the one with the most upside. I just have never seen why teams "settle" for guys at QB. The way we have "settled" for Jay Fielder and Brian Griese. You take a shot to get the best player with the highest ceiling because that is what is needed out of the position in todays game. To me the guy with the highest ceiling this year is Brohm.

You talk about a guy that could be a boom or bust prospec with themot potential, it's not Brian Brohm, it's Joe Flacco. Kid's got a gun and has very surprising mobility for his size. A Roethlisberger clone, IMO. And supposedly we are very high on this guy, so if he is there with the 58th pick in the 2nd he is ours!

Brohm is a system QB all the way, and the only way I see him being successful is with ELITE coaching in the right system for him.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
You talk about a guy that could be a boom or bust prospec with themot potential, it's not Brian Brohm, it's Joe Flacco. Kid's got a gun and has very surprising mobility for his size. A Roethlisberger clone, IMO. And supposedly we are very high on this guy, so if he is there with the 58th pick in the 2nd he is ours!

Brohm is a system QB all the way, and the only way I see him being successful is with ELITE coaching in the right system for him.
Your 100 percent right on Flacco as well and I like him as a prospect too. I think Brohm is the better prospect althought they are the top 2 QBs in my book. However, Brohm is more valuable simply because your gonna have a better feel for what your getting there's more of a sample size against the level of comp. youd expect from these QBs. As many question as Brohm has, Flacco has even more. From a pure physical talent standpoint Flacco is number 1 and Brohm is number 2 in this draft. However, the learning curve and more immediate return and contribution is gonna come from Brohm, which is what makes him the more valuable player in this draft in my eyes. Where Brohm mite take 2-3 years to get fully matured as a player and understand the NFL life, Flacco seems like a guy that will take 3-4 years. Flacco to me just seems like a guy you'd sit behind a QB for a few years. Ala, Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers was very much a project like Flacco is and Rodgers looked awful when he 1st started but he came out this season and lit it up when Favre was out for brief periods. That is what Flacco seems to me and while I'd love to have him, we need more immediate returns on our picks because we are trying to rebuild. I think Brohm brings that and also has the upside that you'd look for in a top QB. Lots of questions with Brohm, no doubt but also some pluses that give him an edge on the other QBs in the draft in my eyes.

Lastly, we are talking about the 22 pick in the draft if the Cowboys trade happens. If Brohm falls there, that a serious option you really have to look into. This draft is extremely stacked with OTs and even some pretty good depth at 3-4 OLB and CB. You'll be able to get really good prospects in with the 58 pick of the draft. While this draft is so thin at QB that I doubt Flacco last that long. Believe me, After seeing Kolb, Beck and even Stanton go so high last year, there's no doubt in my mind someone will fall in love with Flacco enough to take him in the early 2nd this year. I just think if we make the trade with Dallas and Brohm is there at 22, it's something we have to seriously consider. I'm not saying to pull the trigger because I'm not sure if it's time to give up on Beck but we definately have to give it some serious thought and weigh our options if that happens.

Last edited by Joeyjr09 : 02-09-2008 at 01:59 PM.