Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football > Recruiting

Recruiting Discuss High School Recruiting

Old 02-20-2008, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Families love Nick Saban, as do recruits. But Saban is definitely a 'charmer' for the familes. I would say he (Saban) is the best recruiter out there, considering right now how hot USC is it really is not tought to get people to go there.
well its tough when USC is stacked at every position on the depth chart but he can still bring in top recruits. pretty impressive if you ask me.
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:34 PM    (permalink
aheineken
Veteran

aheineken could make a wolverine purr.aheineken could make a wolverine purr.aheineken could make a wolverine purr.aheineken could make a wolverine purr.aheineken could make a wolverine purr.aheineken could make a wolverine purr.aheineken could make a wolverine purr.aheineken could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
i don't think he's the best recruiter simply because USC sells itself.
I completely agree.

Pete Carroll: "So son, do you want to come play football for a perennial national championship contender that sends about a dozen kids to the NFL each year, located in a city with perfect weather, and on a campus where more than half of the female students are aspiring actresses/models?"

Recruit A: "Sure, why not?"
Southern Miss Golden Eagles
aheineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:54 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
Pete Carroll is a great coach and a great recruiter... I'm not trying to take anything away from him, but at this point, all he has to do is say USC wants you kid.
Yeah but he built that reputation. Carroll got hired for a reason. The previous coach sucked and couldn't draw recruits. Carroll has built an empire, one that doesn't seem to be dying any time soon.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And if we're talking about the greatest recruiter in CFB HISTORY, Bear Bryant takes the award walking away.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

southern california. that's it really. bunch of hot girls walking around in bikinis and you're an 18/19 year old kid. it's ******* the beach. SoCal. Pete's done great, but come on...

Bear was the greatest ever, I agree there, but right now, go ahead, hate me for it, Schiano is a top 10 recruiter.

I mean come on, kids never even HEARD of Rutgers, a team that would win one game over 'cuse, and that would take an OT field goal. Kids from Miami follwed him, and now the NY and south jersey kids are going to RU instead of PSU
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Geomar
Rookie

Geomar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Geomar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Randy Shannon is a great recruiter. Im a Miami Fan of course, but did any of you see the class we pulled last year? It just jumps out at you completely. Talent all across the board.

But I must say Carroll has done a great job at USC with recruiting.
Geomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:00 AM    (permalink
tEk
Veteran

tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyro_1014 View Post
well its tough when USC is stacked at every position on the depth chart but he can still bring in top recruits. pretty impressive if you ask me.
if you can play out a senior as a true freshman... Pete will start you.

Hitman D
tEk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
southern california. that's it really. bunch of hot girls walking around in bikinis and you're an 18/19 year old kid. it's ******* the beach. SoCal. Pete's done great, but come on...
The school is in the middle of the ghetto. And if it's so easy to do, how come Pete Carroll has a job at USC? Someone obviously couldn't recruit.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:29 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tEk View Post
if you can play out a senior as a true freshman... Pete will start you.
Carroll's program is all about competition. Competition weeds out the weak, and I love what Carroll has done at SC. USC's players know they have to bust it in practice and games because if they don't get the job done, there's another HS All-Everything waiting in the wings.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:42 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Carroll's pitch.
1. Pulls out a picture of the beach.
2. Pulls out a picture of multiple celebrities on the sidelines.
3. Pulls out a picture of Leinart on the beach throwing a football around with multiple celebrities.
4. Says, "This could be you"
This was not intended to be humorous. I have inside sources that tell me these things.
^^, This guy knows what's up.

but speaking truthfully....it's not Carroll's fault that he has the best weather, women, and dare I say history, to pitch.
Does that make him the best recruiter ever? We will never know unless he goes somewhere else and pulls the same talent, which I doubt he will do on both accounts.

It does raise an interesting question. What makes a good recruiter? A guy that pulls more talent than the program should pull?

Last edited by Bruce Banner : 09-17-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:45 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
The school is in the middle of the ghetto. And if it's so easy to do, how come Pete Carroll has a job at USC? Someone obviously couldn't recruit.
Although the school is in the middle of the ghetto, the campus is really nice.

(Should be an easy transition for Matt Barkley)
Old 09-17-2008, 12:56 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

also note: university of spoiled children.

lets face it... most sports types have less than questionable morals. if vegas had a school that was as legit as USC is, it'd have no problem drawing everyone.

Why do you think miami gets recruits year after year after year that are great?

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
^^, This guy knows what's up.

but speaking truthfully....it's not Carroll's fault that he has the best weather, women, and dare I say history, to pitch.
Does that make him the best recruiter ever? We will never know unless he goes somewhere else and pulls the same talent, which I doubt he will do on both accounts.

It does raise an interesting question. What makes a good recruiter? A guy that pulls more talent than the program should pull?
Bingo. USC and Miami are the two schools that have the biggest advantage in selling themselves almost singlehandedly because of location. Sniper, neither of them are in the best areas, but come on dude. Who wouldn't want to live in either Southern California or the Miami area for four years for free.

SDSU is another school that could kill in the recruiting game if the school ever dedicated the resources to having a good football program.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:58 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Bingo. USC and Miami are the two schools that have the biggest advantage in selling themselves almost singlehandedly because of location. Sniper, neither of them are in the best areas, but come on dude. Who wouldn't want to live in either Southern California or the Miami area for four years for free.

SDSU is another school that could kill in the recruiting game if the school ever dedicated the resources to having a good football program.
I'm not saying the pitch isn't there, but like I said, Paul Hackett obviously couldn't recruit at USC.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:12 AM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
cierre woods matt barkley and the list goes on...
Didnt Cierre Wood commit to Notre Dame?
cdub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:48 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post

You could also throw in UCLA which IMO is better than USC in every way.

SDSU isn't as nice as either school and isn't a BCS team so that might hurt them.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:30 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Al Golden

Yeah if Pete Carroll can go somewhere else and do the same he is the greatest. If he goes to like PA and pulls in a top class with Temple then that would be amazing.
Your right and if Tom Bradly doesn't get the job at penn state Al Golden might get the job

Speaking of bad places...i wasn't all that impressed with notre dame when visited there but Weiss seems to be doin well.

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch

Last edited by DeathbyStat : 09-17-2008 at 01:33 PM.
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:14 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post

Bear was the greatest ever, I agree there, but right now, go ahead, hate me for it, Schiano is a top 10 recruiter.

I mean come on, kids never even HEARD of Rutgers, a team that would win one game over 'cuse, and that would take an OT field goal. Kids from Miami follwed him, and now the NY and south jersey kids are going to RU instead of PSU
Rutgers got their Miami "pipeline" by taking Plan C or D kids that UM/UF/FSU didn't want.

They have never EVER stolen a recruit away from the Dade area that Miami wanted, and I highly doubt they ever will.

I give Schiano credit somewhat, but please don't point to the Miami "pipeline" as an example of his great recruiting.

Teams are recruiting in FL now more than ever because they know the Plan B/C kids that the Big 3 don't want are probably better, or at least faster, than the kids they are recruiting now.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:32 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
Teams are recruiting in FL now more than ever because they know the Plan B/C kids that the Big 3 don't want are probably better, or at least faster, than the kids they are recruiting now.
This is true. I've heard more than a couple people say something like this, "A 3* in FL, TX, or CA is as good as a 4* anywhere else and a 4* in FL, TX, or CA is as good as a 5* anywhere else."

I'm glad Rich Rod has started taking the "B/C" kids out of Florida. I think it'll pay off eventually. We already look poised to take two of the better prospects out of Florida in 2010.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:16 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
This is true. I've heard more than a couple people say something like this, "A 3* in FL, TX, or CA is as good as a 4* anywhere else and a 4* in FL, TX, or CA is as good as a 5* anywhere else."

I'm glad Rich Rod has started taking the "B/C" kids out of Florida. I think it'll pay off eventually. We already look poised to take two of the better prospects out of Florida in 2010.
That's why the recruiting services are so out of whack. They don't factor enough the quality of competition that these kids play when they rank them.

It's the reason you see so many FL, TX, CA, OH kids move up so quickly when the high school all star games start. That's when the true evaluating is done.

It's simple logic. Top kids who play other top kids develop better than people who just beat up on terrible 5'5 high school kids all day.

The other side of this is, you have to take into account the level of competition within the state. These are where the biggest recruiting "misses" take place. Also, a kid dominating horrible competition doesn't always mean he's a bad player either. It's the toughest thing to judge in recruiting.

A prime example of this is former FSU QB Xavier Lee. He played in arguably the worst talent pool in Florida, broke all these records, and was anointed the next great quarterback when in reality, all he was doing was just bullying kids with his size and big arm. He had no understanding of the game, and when he played top competition (which started at the AAA game), he struggled mightily.

A 3* kid from Dade County is more likely to succeed than a 4* kid from Iowa or Minnesota. It's just basic.

The fact that Randy Shannon is clamping down Dade/Broward County despite really no real success at Miami is going to turn the Canes into a national powerhouse once again if he can actually put the talent to proper use.

Last edited by djp : 09-17-2008 at 10:19 PM.
djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:21 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
That's why the recruiting services are so out of whack. They don't factor enough the quality of competition that these kids play when they rank them.

It's the reason you see so many FL, TX, CA, OH kids move up so quickly when the high school all star games start. That's when the true evaluating is done.

It's simple logic. Top kids who play other top kids develop better than people who just beat up on terrible 5'5 high school kids all day.

The other side of this is, you have to take into account the level of competition within the state. These are where the biggest recruiting "misses" take place. Also, a kid dominating horrible competition doesn't always mean he's a bad player either. It's the toughest thing to judge in recruiting.

A prime example of this is former FSU QB Xavier Lee. He played in arguably the worst talent pool in Florida, broke all these records, and was anointed the next great quarterback when in reality, all he was doing was just bullying kids with his size and big arm. He had no understanding of the game, and when he played top competition (which started at the AAA game), he struggled mightily.

A 3* kid from Dade County is more likely to succeed than a 4* kid from Iowa or Minnesota. It's just basic.

The fact that Randy Shannon is clamping down Dade/Broward County despite really no real success at Miami is going to turn the Canes into a national powerhouse once again if he can actually put the talent to proper use.
So what you're really trying to say is that Bryce Brown is going to suck?

:P
Old 09-17-2008, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post

Which are the two better 2010 prospects?

I know Miami is taking a small class this year because we are loading up on South Florida talent next year so I'd be surprised to see anyone taking any kid we offer from our area.

Anyways, the proof is in the pudding. Sean Spence was rated a 4* and he has arguably been the best freshman in the entire country, regardless of position. Not to mention all the other kids we had come in from south florida and give the number 5 ranked team all they can handle. All this while our big OOS recruit (Arthur Brown) is too raw to even see the field.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyaraiderfan View Post

He's saying Bryce Brown will take longer to develope then South Florida talent. Read my above post to see what I mean.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyaraiderfan View Post

I knew somebody was going to comment on that, haha.

I think anyone who knows anything about football and has even watched Bryce carry the ball a couple times can see he's going to be special.

Like I said, evaluating talent in the Midwest is extremely tough to do, but like my man Bryce proved in San Antonio last year, he's worth the hype. They do sometimes take longer to develop.

I've stated previously I think he has a legit shot to be the best RB we have ever had.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:29 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

To answer the original topic at hand, I have tremendous respect for Pete Carroll. Yes, he has an easy sell, but recruiting is obviously harder than ever. He has a great support system of coaches around him with a great blend of recruiting prowess and coaching ability.

I'm really glad the Canes got Mike Barrow. They really did follow in SC's footsteps there. He is a phenomenal recruiter and once you click on the YT link in my sig once, you will recognize why kids want to play for him.