Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default A couple headlines of note...

"I understand that drafting a [quarterback] in the first five picks is an option, but historically it has not been that successful," Dimitroff said. "It's not like I have a strong belief or philosophy with the top-5 picks. If the right player, a quarterback, offensive lineman, linebacker, running back, if that player truly fits and we're ready to go forward, then we will.

"Quarterback is a unique position though because you need a supporting cast to be successful in this league. We're going to have to do a lot of work evaluating quarterbacks that are coming out in the draft."

Then also we hired the DBacks coach from Jax...and he's the one responsible for coaching up Mathis into the great corner he's become. I love that we got a guy to learn from Thomas for the next couple years...our staff is looking better to me now. I know they have a lot to prove because of the bigger names that we passed over to select them. But I'm really happy with the direction that the GM and HC both want.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Oh yeah...and this too...

Some players could be asked to take pay cuts, but there also could be some painful roster cuts. High-salaried players like tailback Warrick Dunn, linebacker Keith Brooking, wide receiver Joe Horn, offensive tackle Wayne Gandy, defensive tackle Rod Coleman and tight end Alge Crumpler could be on unsettled ground.

"I don't know if it will be what you would call 'salary-cap casualties' but I think they'll look at guys and see if the talent is still there and is it worth what we're paying them," Falcons owner Arthur Blank told the AJC. "If somebody can't play, it doesn't matter if he's young or old. Then you have to make a decision if a guy can play, how much do you want to pay for that level of productivity. If it makes sense, you keep them."

Sounds like Blank wants to apply moneyball now...
Old 02-06-2008, 09:53 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love it if we cut Alge Crumpler. I dont like him too much. Maybe replace him with Cottam (I think it was him. The giant from the Sr. Bowl).

Yeah. It once again seems like Dimitroff isnt interested in picking a QB top5. Maybe its all a smokescreen?

That article also said something about building up the middle, so I am assuming OL and DL will be a huge priority during FA and draft? I hope we can land a couple of OL during FA so we only have to draft 1 OL in the first 2-3 rounds. If not, I would want more.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:28 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I think a healthy Alge is a top 3 TE in the league and I don't want him to go anywhere. If he can't get healthy though, then it may be time to send him packing, but we'd really need to draft a TE then, and my favorites to replace him as a receiving threat would be Davis from USC (who reminds me of a younger Alge) or Kellen Davis...friggin specimen that would become an incredible player eventually...but is a project.

I really hope we can land our Offensive Linemen in Free Agency and be able to pick Ellis in the first round, then maybe Nicks at the top of round 2 and Wheeler in the middle of round 2, I think that'd be incredible...
Old 02-06-2008, 11:30 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Crumpler top 3 TE? Better than which one: Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Kellen Winslow, Jason Witten? Maybe healthy and at the top of his game he is number 5. Anything other than that, I would rather have guys like Shockey or Davis.

I really like Jon Carlson, but we cant spend that high of a pick on a TE right now. If we do spend one later on, I really like Brad Cottam.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 02-06-2008, 11:37 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

You overlook too much of the important part of the game...blocking...Alge when healthy is one hell of a matchup nightmare. He's WAAY > Gonzo now, Gates is better receiver but he can't block his way out of a wet paper bag. Winslow is becoming a great threat, but still is no Alge, Witten is the #1 now...

Overall:
Witten #1
K2 #2
Alge #3

Receiving:
Gates #1
Witten #2
K2 #3
Alge #4

Blocking (of THOSE TEs)
Alge #1
Witten #2
Gonzo #3
K2 #4
Gates #5

So yeah, Alge when healthy is a top 3 TE no question...you didn't even mention one of the finest TEs in the league either...I'll let you figure out who's missing from the list and you can bring him into the conversation, but a healthy Alge is just an absolute nightmare...ask Derrick Brooks or anyone who's tried to cover him...he's been constantly at the top of the TE charts by everyone. This season made a lot of people sour on him because he came in out of shape and never really got healthy til very late in the season (he did have a couple very good games this season too...if you forgot)
Old 02-06-2008, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alge Crumpler is not that good. He was a product of Vick's inability to throw to his wide receivers. He is short, has bad hands, and has had major weight and health issues.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:54 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
You overlook too much of the important part of the game...blocking...Alge when healthy is one hell of a matchup nightmare. He's WAAY > Gonzo now, Gates is better receiver but he can't block his way out of a wet paper bag. Winslow is becoming a great threat, but still is no Alge, Witten is the #1 now...

Overall:
Witten #1
K2 #2
Alge #3

Receiving:
Gates #1
Witten #2
K2 #3
Alge #4

Blocking (of THOSE TEs)
Alge #1
Witten #2
Gonzo #3
K2 #4
Gates #5

So yeah, Alge when healthy is a top 3 TE no question...you didn't even mention one of the finest TEs in the league either...I'll let you figure out who's missing from the list and you can bring him into the conversation, but a healthy Alge is just an absolute nightmare...ask Derrick Brooks or anyone who's tried to cover him...he's been constantly at the top of the TE charts by everyone. This season made a lot of people sour on him because he came in out of shape and never really got healthy til very late in the season (he did have a couple very good games this season too...if you forgot)
The TE you are talking about is not coming to mind.

But I wouldnt put Crumpler's blocking number 1. He is good yes, but I would say Witten is better than at him in blocking. And in receiving he is easily number 5 or 6. Like Shiver said, he is fat and drops alot of balls. He does have some good games though, but I still dont like him too much. He is going to need to get his act together if he wants to stay on this team, in my opinion.

And its completely plausible that he gets his act together.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:30 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Alge Crumpler is not that good. He was a product of Vick's inability to throw to his wide receivers. He is short, has bad hands, and has had major weight and health issues.
To say that Alge has bad hands nullifies anything you have to say...honestly...This season Alge struggled, but Alge has some of the best hands anywhere generally. Big soft paws that just bring in passes like nothin, one handed grabs etc. To say that he has bad hands is just foolishness...if it was a Vick problem, then why was there 'too much zip' on passes to the WR (who were farther away so the ball had to have slowed down a little) but not for Alge? No, the ? has NEVER been Alge's hands. Also note I said when healthy...but you ignore that. He had ONE season where he wasn't a unanimous pro bowler and now all of a sudden he's not that good.

'Short' is all relative...if you're as good at finding holes in zones as he is, then the height doesn't matter...at all.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 AM    (permalink
rsx

Depending upon who our qb is next season, I feel that Crump will have his best season of his career under Mularkey (former TE).
Old 02-07-2008, 03:30 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Overall:
Witten #1
K2 #2
Alge #3

Receiving:
Gates #1
Witten #2
K2 #3
Alge #4

Blocking (of THOSE TEs)
Alge #1
Witten #2
Gonzo #3
K2 #4
Gates #5

I do not see how Alge is, or has ever been, better than Gonzalez. Gonzalez can block, he has much better hands, he is smart, and he is faster than Alge.

I do not see how you say he has great hands either. He drops a lot of passes.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:32 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I do not see how Alge is, or has ever been, better than Gonzalez. Gonzalez can block, he has much better hands, he is smart, and he is faster than Alge.

I do not see how you say he has great hands either. He drops a lot of passes.
1 season he dropped 'a lot' of passes...he's never done that before...ever. Gonzo is very old, and very much on the downhill of his career. It's over for him, he hasn't been 'elite' for the last 2 seasons...Alge when healthy (which he was towards the end of the season for the first time) is still uncoverable. Gonzo can block fine, he's NOT at all faster than Alge...Alge is so smooth he doesn't look as fast as he is.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:52 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1 season he dropped 'a lot' of passes...he's never done that before...ever. Gonzo is very old, and very much on the downhill of his career. It's over for him, he hasn't been 'elite' for the last 2 seasons...
He dropped passes this year and last year.

The second part is so, so inaccurate.

Tony Gonzalez
This year...(16 games)

99 receptions
1,172 receiving yards
5 touchdowns

Last year (a supposed down year)(15 games)...

73 receptions
900 yards
5 touchdowns

Alge Crumpler has never had a year with as many receptions as Tony Gonzalez' down 2006 season (73 vs. Alge's high of 65).

Alge Crumpler's last two seasons receptions combined (98) combine for less receptions than Gonzalez had this year alone (99).

Tony Gonzalez has never had a season with less yards or catches than Crumpler.

Even if we ran the ball more than Kansas City, who is also a running team, it was not by too much.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:22 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You are severly overrating him. He was a top 5 TE because of Michael Vick. Now he's probably in the top 10.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He has had dropsies in more than just "1" season. His catch percentage has always been around the 50% rate, which is pretty bad for a supposedly "top tier" TE.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:17 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

He was dropping passes all over the place in Vick's last year. He also did that again this year. Before that, I didnt notice too many drops, even though there were some.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:29 PM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Alge can be a valuable to our team but if I dont know if Murlurky offense uses the TE that much if not then we need to part ways.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

We have a lot of overpaid players: Brooking, Coleman, Crumpler, Dunn. I think now is the best time to cut them loose.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 PM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I really want to see Brooking gone right now but I doubt if we cut him because of the cap hit I think his contract is not up until 09.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:51 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
We have a lot of overpaid players: Brooking, Coleman, Crumpler, Dunn. I think now is the best time to cut them loose.

I wouldn't mind keeping Coleman around. When healthy he is a pass rushing force.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I like Coleman, he's a stud, I want him to stay around...when he's healthy there is none better...people overlook how good he is with batting passes down at the LoS...that's just as good as a PBU or a stuffed run...
Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

Please Cutt Crumpler Loose Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Mr. Myogi
Rookie

Mr. Myogi hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Silly...... Crump and Coleman are beasts. Dunn should take a pay cut and we should at least try to get a 4th for Keith Brookings.

Crump has never had many catches simply because he's never been thrown too as much as Gonzo. He is a top 3 TE for what we need!

Coleman is one of the best UT in the league and to say he's Overpaid is idiotic. He's played injured and still dominated.

Dunn should accept a smaller roll therefore accepting a pay cut. He should really wanna stay here toward the end of his career.

Kieth Brookings is definitely one of those players that I feel should not be back in 2008. Homegrown or not, He sucks!

*********"Wax on, Wax off Danielson"**********
Mr. Myogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:04 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Myogi View Post
Silly...... Crump and Coleman are beasts. Dunn should take a pay cut and we should at least try to get a 4th for Keith Brookings.

Crump has never had many catches simply because he's never been thrown too as much as Gonzo. He is a top 3 TE for what we need!

Coleman is one of the best UT in the league and to say he's Overpaid is idiotic. He's played injured and still dominated.

Dunn should accept a smaller roll therefore accepting a pay cut. He should really wanna stay here toward the end of his career.

Kieth Brookings is definitely one of those players that I feel should not be back in 2008. Homegrown or not, He sucks!
When Vick was here he was thrown to as much as any tight end in the NFL. He also has dropped passes lately, meaning the past two years.

I just like that he is clutch and can make big plays.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

The problem with Alge Crumpler is he has been hurt in the off-season and when he comes in he is fat. When your TE has to use half the regular season to get into shape that is not good.