Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default I don't know about you

but I'm really glad we didn't wait on Spags now. How smart do we look compared to the Redskins now? We got our guy...and no matter what all the haters want to say, we made the right moves...we got our guy when we knew the time was right, didn't rush it but let things come to us...while it may seem like we rushed to hire him once the Giants won their game...it is becoming apparent that our FO doesn't care what the media is saying too much (thank GOODNESS) anymore...lets hope that carries over to the draft (Ryan)
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:23 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Imagine how bad it would have been had Spags gone back to NY and the Falcons would have been burned yet again.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:28 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Yup, chalk one up for TD.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:58 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Smith was not going anywhere. That is why the Redskins could wait, because Fassel was staying put if Spags failed. We should have waited.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:09 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Why Bama? Can you not see how foolish you are now especially that we had a 0% chance of landing him? Smith wasn't going anywhere, sure, but were the Falcons without him? NEWP...what's a team without a coach? The GM can't really do anything...we have a GM and HC that believe football should be played the same way, that's all any team can really ask for. I'm looking forward to it, so you be bitter all you want, but our FO made the right decision, regardless of what you think.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:26 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
Why Bama? Can you not see how foolish you are now especially that we had a 0% chance of landing him? Smith wasn't going anywhere, sure, but were the Falcons without him? NEWP...what's a team without a coach? The GM can't really do anything...we have a GM and HC that believe football should be played the same way, that's all any team can really ask for. I'm looking forward to it, so you be bitter all you want, but our FO made the right decision, regardless of what you think.

First off, it wouldn't have killed us to have waited. And second of all, you saying we made the right decision is no different then me saying it's wrong.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:45 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

It would have hurt us...we would be NO where in talks with our players as far as who we want to retain and who we want to let go, we'd have hired him today at the earliest, that means it's mid week NEXT week before we even get to put things in order in ANY way...yeah, it would have crippled us, last time I checked the Redskins weren't an organization anyone wanted to model from.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I honestly believe that Spags would have accepted a contract with the Falcons. Just compare the Redskins front-seven to your front-seven and you can see why Spags didn't want to coach for the Skins. Just think of what he could have done with your d-line.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:50 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It would have hurt us...we would be NO where in talks with our players as far as who we want to retain and who we want to let go, we'd have hired him today at the earliest, that means it's mid week NEXT week before we even get to put things in order in ANY way...yeah, it would have crippled us, last time I checked the Redskins weren't an organization anyone wanted to model from.

It most certainly wouldn't have "crippled" us. There is still plenty of time before FA, and I highly doubt a couple of weeks would make or break this franchise. How long can discussions about players really last? Certainly could be done well before free agency.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:52 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Good to see that you can forsee the future, saying that the FO made the best decision.

Also, how were we to know he would not take the job? It was two weeks away, you act like it was obvious.

And, who says he would not take the job here? Like Turtlepower said, we have more youth and talent defensively than the Redskins. There is a good shot he would have taken the job here.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:55 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
It most certainly wouldn't have "crippled" us. There is still plenty of time before FA, and I highly doubt a couple of weeks would make or break this franchise. How long can discussions about players really last? Certainly could be done well before free agency.
I agree. Like I said before, I can wait two weeks for the best coach if it means we will have a chance to be a successful franchise, which we have not been in our forty year history. Two weeks of waiting to potentially end forty years of losing...and also I never even got the feeling Dimintroff or Blank was happy, considering Garrett and Caldwell were the top two guys and we likely would have taken Spags over him (Smith) as well.

I think it was a OK hire, but Spags would have been better.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Did I forsee the future? I am using hindsight...as you all should. There's no shot he was taking the job here, he got what he wanted, money and the ability to continue to develop, he's a 1st year coordinator folks, who says he even wants to be a head coach? He may enjoy doing exactly what he's doing...so now...like I said...the FO made the right decision, how do you evaluate something, you evaluate it AFTER the facts have come in...well they're in. If Spags had gone to Washington you could have a gripe if you wanted to be really whiny about it, but now that Spags wasn't an option, you have no legit gripe.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:01 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I agree. Like I said before, I can wait two weeks for the best coach if it means we will have a chance to be a successful franchise, which we have not been in our forty year history. Two weeks of waiting to potentially end forty years of losing...and also I never even got the feeling Dimintroff or Blank was happy, considering Garrett and Caldwell were the top two guys and we likely would have taken Spags over him (Smith) as well.

I think it was a OK hire, but Spags would have been better.
So you want to accuse me of 'knowing the future' when I was clearly looking into the past, and you're saying that a coach that isn't an option, never was ACTUALLY an option, would be a better hire than the coach that we have, who hasn't coached a game yet and has just as good of a chance at being the best coach in falcons history as he does of being the worst...

Mrs Cleo is that you?
Old 02-08-2008, 07:04 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Did I forsee the future? I am using hindsight...as you all should. There's no shot he was taking the job here, he got what he wanted, money and the ability to continue to develop, he's a 1st year coordinator folks, who says he even wants to be a head coach? He may enjoy doing exactly what he's doing...so now...like I said...the FO made the right decision, how do you evaluate something, you evaluate it AFTER the facts have come in...well they're in. If Spags had gone to Washington you could have a gripe if you wanted to be really whiny about it, but now that Spags wasn't an option, you have no legit gripe.
I said there is a good shot he would have accepted the job here. So did a Giant fan. Unready coaches take jobs every year, and most people who have encountered Spags say he is ready. Unless he interviewed here and declined the offer, then I can say there was a good shot he would have accepted the offer.

The facts will not be in for at least three more years. Jim Mora looked like a bad hire when he was hired. He looked great after year one. He looked horrible after year three. You can not use hindsight when no games have been played.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:06 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
So you want to accuse me of 'knowing the future' when I was clearly looking into the past, and you're saying that a coach that isn't an option, never was ACTUALLY an option, would be a better hire than the coach that we have, who hasn't coached a game yet and has just as good of a chance at being the best coach in falcons history as he does of being the worst...

Mrs Cleo is that you?
First of all learn to put a sentence together.

Second of all, you are being repetative. I have said there was a good shot he would accept the offer. And I can say that because he never was interviewed. I can also say with confidence he would have likely been the choice over Smith if he accepted the offer. Then again, Smith was quite a bit down our list of coaches.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:33 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

You say this, a Giant fan says that...who cares? Is that poster that is a Giant fan Spags? Or better yet, are YOU Spags? You know he got a big $$$ offer from Washington, and he didn't take it...they already have an offensive line and good runningback with promising talent, our defense has more talent, but they put it together to the point where they made it to the playoffs...what about our position is more enticing?

Jamaal Anderson-nope
Coleman-possibly won't even be here
Abe-hell ya
Brooking-not hardly
Boley-of course
Hall-if he stays

They have good building blocks there. Just because you want to say he would have accepted here means nothing, because you don't know anything as far as what is in his mind. He made his decision very quickly to stay in NY...its LIKELY...far MORE likely that he didn't really want to go anywhere in the first place...he just won the Superbowl and has one hell of a defense returning...
Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You say this, a Giant fan says that...who cares? Is that poster that is a Giant fan Spags? Or better yet, are YOU Spags? You know he got a big $$$ offer from Washington, and he didn't take it...they already have an offensive line and good runningback with promising talent, our defense has more talent, but they put it together to the point where they made it to the playoffs...what about our position is more enticing?

Jamaal Anderson-nope
Coleman-possibly won't even be here
Abe-hell ya
Brooking-not hardly
Boley-of course
Hall-if he stays

They have good building blocks there. Just because you want to say he would have accepted here means nothing, because you don't know anything as far as what is in his mind. He made his decision very quickly to stay in NY...its LIKELY...far MORE likely that he didn't really want to go anywhere in the first place...he just won the Superbowl and has one hell of a defense returning...
Are YOU Spags? The point is you can not say he would have declined or accepted the offer. I say we could have waited two weeks, considering this decision will affect/ affected this team directly for three to fifteen years and indirectly for the franchises future.

Also, New York is not one hell of a defense. It lacks talent at strongside linebacker, weakside linebacker, defensive tackle, one safety position, and at least one cornerback. He made that defense along with the defensive line, Antonio Pierce, and improving Corey Webster and Aaron Ross.

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 02-08-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:15 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Look, the FACTS are VERY clear to those of us actually paying attention, you're failing to see that he didn't leave New York...that's the point I'm trying to make here, the fact that he didn't leave, means that he wasn't an option. So you can say whatever you want, the FACT of the matter is he didn't leave, so we made the right decision.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:40 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Look, the FACTS are VERY clear to those of us actually paying attention, you're failing to see that he didn't leave New York...that's the point I'm trying to make here, the fact that he didn't leave, means that he wasn't an option. So you can say whatever you want, the FACT of the matter is he didn't leave, so we made the right decision.

That is horrid logic. The fact that he didn't leave his team for a job that is hardly good at all, means he never would have left? Even if he didn't leave in a million years means nothing. Blank said he wanted the best. He could have atleast interviewed.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:06 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
That is horrid logic. The fact that he didn't leave his team for a job that is hardly good at all, means he never would have left? Even if he didn't leave in a million years means nothing. Blank said he wanted the best. He could have atleast interviewed.
I agree, horrible logic. It is pointless to say he would have accepted or declined the offer, waiting was the best thing to do because the reward could have been very high.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:45 AM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What makes you guys think that Spagnuolo would of went to Atlanta? He rejected Washington for Pete's sake, and Atlanta's doing twice as bad as they are. Our franchise is in crumbles right now, and Washington's just a couple of players away from getting to the playoffs.

Bama, I think you're just going opposite of whatever iloxygenil says. Dimitroff did the right thing to hire Smith, and I'm very happy that he did it now. Was I happy when I found out that we got him? No, but now that I figured that Atlanta would of had no chance of getting Spagnuolo, then I'm very happy. If we waited, we would of lost as much as we could of gained. We would of lost weeks of scouting the players down in the Senior and East-West Shrine Bowl games. Not to mention what iloxygenil listed about player contract extensions and negotiations.

Time is money.
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote