Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 09-20-2014, 01:58 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2015 Draft

As each year passes it feels like we continue to have the same needs to address.

1. Defensive Line
2. Inside Linebacker
3. Tight End
4. Offensive Tackle (depends on Bulaga's contract)
5. Cornerback (Williams free agent, Hayward hamstring issues)

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Packystan
Rookie

Packystan could make a wolverine purr.Packystan could make a wolverine purr.Packystan could make a wolverine purr.Packystan could make a wolverine purr.Packystan could make a wolverine purr.Packystan could make a wolverine purr.Packystan could make a wolverine purr.

I'm dreaming for Denzel Perryman.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:31 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd definitely be ok with Perryman. Is there an all around Tight End in this year's class? Jesse James from Penn State seems like a guy with the size to potentially be an all around guy, but I haven't watched him much and I'm not sure if he'll come out anyway.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:39 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
I'd definitely be ok with Perryman. Is there an all around Tight End in this year's class? Jesse James from Penn State seems like a guy with the size to potentially be an all around guy, but I haven't watched him much and I'm not sure if he'll come out anyway.
Sam Arneson may not be a first round guy, but he will move up boards with his all around game.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:03 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Sam Arneson may not be a first round guy, but he will move up boards with his all around game.
Good point, he would be a decent option. He's bigger than thought, I guess I just lump him in with past Badger TEs in my mind.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:09 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
Good point, he would be a decent option. He's bigger than thought, I guess I just lump him in with past Badger TEs in my mind.
National writers have taken notice of him.

Quote:
Wisconsin senior TE Sam Arneson was "dominant" as a blocker in Saturday's loss to LSU, raising his draft stock, writes TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.
Quote:
TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline says there is "a bit of buzz in scouting circles around" Wisconsin senior TE Sam Arneson.
I'm glad the last two games he's been able to show his abilities as a pass catcher. Sam reminds me of Crockett Gillmore from this past draft, with more potential to work the seam in the passing game.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Right now I have my eye on three guys.

Perryman the ILB, Maxx Williams the TE and Shelton the NT. That interior of the defense is by far the biggest need we have and either of those two would be stellar additions. Maxx williams has a lot of all around upside but might be sneaky enough in that run based offense to drop to the late 1st.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 11-24-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:52 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Thankfully, it looks like the linebacker group will be strong this year.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thankfully, it looks like the linebacker group will be strong this year.
Any one in particular you like?

I'm not fond of the ILBs this year. I don't see any that have the all around game to be an impact player.

I do like the OLBs and wouldn't be shocked to see us go there and transition Clay even more inside.

Really like a few of the NTs available but not sure they'd be impact full enough given our scheme to be worth a 1st round pick.

Really, really like Maxx Williams. He'd add something our offense is sorely lacking.

Need to start watching tape on corners. I feel like that's a strong possibility.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:13 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Paul Dawson (TCU)
Benardrick McKinney (Mississippi State)
Stephone Anthony (Clemson)
Eric Kendricks (UCLA)
Denzel Perryman (Miami)

These are all backers, who can play inside, that I like within the first three rounds. In terms of rush backers, I don't have as concrete a list but there's plenty of players to like on the outside as well.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Paul Dawson (TCU)
Benardrick McKinney (Mississippi State)
Stephone Anthony (Clemson)
Eric Kendricks (UCLA)
Denzel Perryman (Miami)

These are all backers, who can play inside, that I like within the first three rounds. In terms of rush backers, I don't have as concrete a list but there's plenty of players to like on the outside as well.
Kendricks is probably the only one I like from that group and I don't think he's the prospect Mosley or Borland were last year. Perryman really struggles in space; the more tape I watch of him the less I like him. Mckinney is a joke, imo.

We need a guy that can cover to pair with Barrington, who should continue to improve given a full offseason as a starter. I think there will be better value at OLB, TE or CB in the 1st and I don't think kendricks makes it to our 2nd rounder.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:04 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
Kendricks is probably the only one I like from that group and I don't think he's the prospect Mosley or Borland were last year. Perryman really struggles in space; the more tape I watch of him the less I like him. Mckinney is a joke, imo.

We need a guy that can cover to pair with Barrington, who should continue to improve given a full offseason as a starter. I think there will be better value at OLB, TE or CB in the 1st and I don't think kendricks makes it to our 2nd rounder.
I'm not necessarily trying to argue for any of those guys in the first round; although I would be happy with Dawson. He's a sideline-to-sideline player and he would be the three down backer our team is in need of. It is a bit of hyperbole to call McKinney a joke, as he does possess quality traits for an inside backer. The trouble rests with him being a two down backer, more than likely, so that pushes down his value.

I know many fans will call for tight end to be a first round target but I don't see it happening. Richard Rodgers was a third round selection and the team will give him every opportunity to prove his worth next season. Maxx Williams is one of my favorite prospects and I would love the chance to eat my words that we don't take a tight end in the first round.

Eli Harold would be a tremendous add at the end of the first round, if we're gonna talk about possible guys at OLB.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Packystan
Rookie

Packystan could make a wolverine purr.Packystan could make a wolverine purr.Packystan could make a wolverine purr.Packystan could make a wolverine purr.Packystan could make a wolverine purr.Packystan could make a wolverine purr.Packystan could make a wolverine purr.

Perryman or Kendricks, and I'm a happy camper.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm not necessarily trying to argue for any of those guys in the first round; although I would be happy with Dawson. He's a sideline-to-sideline player and he would be the three down backer our team is in need of. It is a bit of hyperbole to call McKinney a joke, as he does possess quality traits for an inside backer. The trouble rests with him being a two down backer, more than likely, so that pushes down his value.

I know many fans will call for tight end to be a first round target but I don't see it happening. Richard Rodgers was a third round selection and the team will give him every opportunity to prove his worth next season. Maxx Williams is one of my favorite prospects and I would love the chance to eat my words that we don't take a tight end in the first round.

Eli Harold would be a tremendous add at the end of the first round, if we're gonna talk about possible guys at OLB.
I need to watch more on Dawson. He's a guy I only really noticed this week and you might be on to something there. His level of physicslity might concern me. My opinion is that Barrington already gives us a 2 down guy so we really need a guy that can be more versatile to pair with him. Or we could just trade our 1st rounder for Patrick Willis and win 19 games.

I probably agree we won't take a TE but then again I think Quarless and Bostick are terrible and we clearly like using multiple TEs or at least subbing them. And I just really like Maxx Williams.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:57 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Pro Bowler

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
I need to watch more on Dawson. He's a guy I only really noticed this week and you might be on to something there. His level of physicslity might concern me. My opinion is that Barrington already gives us a 2 down guy so we really need a guy that can be more versatile to pair with him. Or we could just trade our 1st rounder for Patrick Willis and win 19 games.

I probably agree we won't take a TE but then again I think Quarless and Bostick are terrible and we clearly like using multiple TEs or at least subbing them. And I just really like Maxx Williams.
Yeah based on what I've read about him the question would be whether he has the ability to add bulk/strength. He's listed at 230. Ideally you'd like him to get up to around 240 without losing his quickness.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:27 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

I know there's questions about Dawson's fit within a base 3-4 defense, but I think the team needs to be willing to take a chance on a guy with his abilities since a quality, three down backer is difficult to find.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:47 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Ali Marpet of Hobart is a name to become familiar with. The Packers scouting led him to getting a spot in the Senior Bowl and he performed pretty well. Unfortunately they may have exposed him to a wider range of teams and his stock is on the rise. He could be a versatile interior linemen in the middle rounds.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I know there's questions about Dawson's fit within a base 3-4 defense, but I think the team needs to be willing to take a chance on a guy with his abilities since a quality, three down backer is difficult to find.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm not so sure ILB is as big of a need as we suspect. I can't help but wonder if we aren't leaning towards more and more heavier base packages on running downs and 3 safety looks on passing downs.

With Hyde, Burnett and Haha at safety and Williams, Shields, Heyward and House (assuming we keep Williams and House) it makes sense to go with 6 DBs, 2 OLBs and 3 down lineman on passing downs, imo.

Barrington is also still ascending and could be very good, especially as a run centric guy.

I really feel like 3 safety might be a big part of next season.

With that said, if it's not then I probably like Kendricks the most, then Dawson, then Perryman.

I can't help but wonder if we won't go for a CB, especially should one of the top two fall to us.

And again, Maxx Williams remains my favorite pick. He'd be a massive upgrade over our current TEs. I really like the physicality and sure-handedness of his game that goes along with plus athleticism for the position.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:56 PM    (permalink
Jim Jim
Veteran

Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.

I really like Jordan Phillips. Unfortunately drafting linemen with injury histories hasn't panned out for us in the past.
Jim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Well. Bump up the need for a NT. Guion gone and got arrested. Bummer, too, as he was actually pretty good for us.

Also, the more tape I watch on kendricks the more I like him. Better version of Chris Borland. Not quite the awareness or pure tackling savvy of Borland but an equal motor and significantly superior as an athlete. Not blazing fast but very smooth with elite hips for a linebacker. His frame doesn't appear maxed out, either.

His ability to supply plus run support and be good to great in coverage is a great combo to go with excellent intangibles. He's one of the better linebackers I've seen at picking up running backs out of the backfield. Not quite as good against larger tight ends in man but very savvy in zone coverage.

Really nice closing speed for an ILB, also, and a nice wrap up tackler. Little to no hesitation in his game (which bites him at times.)

Overall he'd pair perfectly with Barrington. I sorta doubt he goes ahead of our pick, I don't think he's a sexy enough prospect. Sort of lavonte David with a little less athleticism but better bulk.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 02-05-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Jim Jim
Veteran

Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.

I like Kendricks also. I think he's going to be a good player at the next level. I prefer Perryman though. He's a throw-back.

If Marcus Peters can grow up, I think he's going to be a steal for somebody.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jim View Post
I like Kendricks also. I think he's going to be a good player at the next level. I prefer Perryman though. He's a throw-back.

If Marcus Peters can grow up, I think he's going to be a steal for somebody.
I like Perryman and would be happy if we picked him. There's certainly something to be said for the physicality he brings.

The issue I have with him is he's just not versatile and will struggle defending the pass in a passing centric league. But I also think his leg strength and ability to drive through tackles is elite, and that bodes really well to taking on blockers and pushing them.

He's one of those odd players where his lackluster height (he measured 5'10.5 at the Senior Bowl) actually benefits him. His super lower center of gravity with stellar leg strength and drive suit him really, really well as a run stopping 3-4 ILB. Again, though, that's the issue. If you get him in man on, well, anyone you're toast. He can play some zone simply out of his intimidating presence. But man coverage is simply not feasible for him.

Then again, you never saw Ray Lewis playing much man and well.. yeah.

And after watching a little more tape, I'm really torn. You're totally right in that Perryman would bring something special and I'm not sure Kendricks has anything special that he does. Perryman's physicality is simply elite and top tier; Kendrick is more of a jack-of-all-trades.

The thing that is starting to sell me on Perryman is the thought of dropping him into middle zones. He's been decent at coverage in college but what really intrigues me is how much that would scare receivers. You drop him to the sticks on third down and I'm not sure how many routes the offense will be running across the middle of the field.

Phil Dawson supposedly has a LOT of character issues so check him off our board. Frankly, that leaves Perryman and Kendricks as the only two ILBs I like and they both will be off the board before our 2nd pick but almost certainly at least 1 will still be there.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 02-06-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:55 PM    (permalink
Jim Jim
Veteran

You make a very good argument for both. I just think Perryman also has that physical energy that's contagious. We really haven't had that type of field presence for a while. You could argue Clay Matthews, and I'd accept it, but I mean more of a roughhouse.

What is your opinion on Jordan Phillips, Eddie Goldman and Michael Bennett?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:06 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

What are the 'character concerns' surrounding Paul Dawson?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:10 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Pro Bowler

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What are the 'character concerns' surrounding Paul Dawson?
I am curious as well. I've seen it mentioned here more than once and none of the other profiles I've read to say anything about character being an issue.