Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2007, 09:35 PM    (permalink
M1Koter
Rookie

M1Koter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

after reading prince's quality analysis on the team, it baffels me that some people think TT is running the team into the ground and that their gunna have a horrible season, that looks like a talented, young, and fun to watch team that I am very excited for. SOme people just don't have patients, we have been dreaming about the brew crew being this good for I don't know how long and now look at them, that team is good and it's going to be good for many years to come, packers are just following the same path

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Sherman's hitting percentage on draft picks is like Ben Sheets at the plate
M1Koter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:37 PM    (permalink
M1Koter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
the final cut will could be;
OL-
Kevin Barry, Tyson Walter, Junius Coston
RB-
PJ Pope, Arliss Beach, Noah Herron
TE-
Tory Humphrey
WR-
Calvin Russell, Chris Francies, Robert Ferguson, Carlton Brewster
DL-
Devarick Scandrett, Jason Hunter/KGB
LB-
Tracy White, Marcus Randall, Spencer Havner, Tim Goodwell
DB-
Atari Bigby, Antonio Malone, Alvin Nnabuife, Tramon Williams, Jarrett Bush
ST-
Dave Rayner

these are cutable players. These are 23 players that might be cut.
I think theres too much money tied into KGB to cut him, I think he's at least a quality 3rd down pass rusher

Quote:
Old 04-30-2007, 09:42 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
the final cut will could be;
OL-
Kevin Barry, Tyson Walter, Junius Coston
RB-
PJ Pope, Arliss Beach, Noah Herron
TE-
Tory Humphrey
WR-
Calvin Russell, Chris Francies, Robert Ferguson, Carlton Brewster
DL-
Devarick Scandrett, Jason Hunter/KGB
LB-
Tracy White, Marcus Randall, Spencer Havner, Tim Goodwell
DB-
Atari Bigby, Antonio Malone, Alvin Nnabuife, Tramon Williams, Jarrett Bush
ST-
Dave Rayner

these are cutable players. These are 23 players that might be cut.
I really don't see KGB getting cut. He is still of use as a pass rusher. He carries a salary that he's not worth, but we'd be taking a big hit by cutting him anyway.

I think Herron has a good chance to make because he is very much in the mix for the #3 RB.

Barry could very well also. I see us going with 8 OL. Along with the starters it should be Moll, Barbre, and Barry.

I agree with the rest being gone. White and Rayner are the only others with a fighting chance, but that's an up hill battle.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

these are all the PFA we signed
Juwan Simpson, LB, Alabama- makes the roster

Pat Murray, OG, Truman State- TC cut

Jerry Babb, QB, Louisiana-Lafayette- TC cut

Rory Johnson, LB, Mississippi- makes the roster

Larry Birdine, DE, Oklahoma- TC cut

Ryan Powdrell, FB, Southern California- makes the roster

Daniel Muir, DT, Kent State- TC cut
Old 04-30-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

Quote:
these are all the PFA we signed
Juwan Simpson, LB, Alabama- makes the roster

Pat Murray, OG, Truman State- TC cut

Jerry Babb, QB, Louisiana-Lafayette- TC cut

Rory Johnson, LB, Mississippi- makes the roster

Larry Birdine, DE, Oklahoma- TC cut

Ryan Powdrell, FB, Southern California- makes the roster

Daniel Muir, DT, Kent State- TC cut
The Packers kept 6 LBs last year. Counting Barnett, Hawk, Hodge, and Poppinga as sure things to make the roster, there's not enough room for those two LBs and Bishop.

I see Johnson making the roster - he will impress quickly -- and the last spot coming down to White and Bishop.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:02 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
I really don't see KGB getting cut. He is still of use as a pass rusher. He carries a salary that he's not worth, but we'd be taking a big hit by cutting him anyway.

I think Herron has a good chance to make because he is very much in the mix for the #3 RB.

Barry could very well also. I see us going with 8 OL. Along with the starters it should be Moll, Barbre, and Barry.

I agree with the rest being gone. White and Rayner are the only others with a fighting chance, but that's an up hill battle.
Agree with you GB

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:07 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny10804 View Post
The Packers kept 6 LBs last year. Counting Barnett, Hawk, Hodge, and Poppinga as sure things to make the roster, there's not enough room for those two LBs and Bishop.

I see Johnson making the roster - he will impress quickly -- and the last spot coming down to White and Bishop.
How does White have much more talent then Juwan Simpson? We need to keep the best on our roster.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:11 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Like you I have been high on Johnson for a while. The thing is though he probably wouldn't be ready to start for at least 3 years if ever. I don't see White or Bishop ever as starters either, but they could get the spots over Johnson. They are both special teams stars so they would make somewhat of an impact right away where as Johson, while he could be a nice back up won't be a whole lot of use to us.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
How does White have much more talent then Juwan Simpson? We need to keep the best on our roster.
He never said that White has much more talent. I would easily take White still though. See my post below yours, it's not necessarily who is the best linebacker, but who will help the team most. I would still take White in both areas however.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
He never said that White has much more talent. I would easily take White still though. See my post below yours, it's not necessarily who is the best linebacker, but who will help the team most. I would still take White in both areas however.

Another thing on this thought: Rory Johnson has the speed and quickness to be a special teams demon. He ran a 4.59 at the combine and had the second fastest 20 yard shuttle time at 4.07. He also had an extremely impressive vertical of 38 inches. This guy is an explosive athlete who would do very well on coverage teams.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Another thing on this thought: Rory Johnson has the speed and quickness to be a special teams demon. He ran a 4.59 at the combine and had the second fastest 20 yard shuttle time at 4.07. He also had an extremely impressive vertical of 38 inches. This guy is an explosive athlete who would do very well on coverage teams.
Well, We'll see how does with that in the preseason then. Should he be better, the same, or just very slightly worse than White I would gladly take Johnson. I do want Bishop for sure though.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:34 PM    (permalink
roughrider30
Veteran

roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Koter View Post
after reading prince's quality analysis on the team, it baffels me that some people think TT is running the team into the ground and that their gunna have a horrible season, that looks like a talented, young, and fun to watch team that I am very excited for. SOme people just don't have patients, we have been dreaming about the brew crew being this good for I don't know how long and now look at them, that team is good and it's going to be good for many years to come, packers are just following the same path
I totally agree. TTs strategies of trading down and drafting players might not pay off right away, but in the long run this WILL work. I love the fact that he doesn't buy into the mediocre free agents and spend money on them just because we have the cap room. All of the fans thinking TT is running the team into the ground just show how little football knowledge they have. Hes not spending money on old washed up, big name free agents and trading our future and picks. Did anyone really expect us to be a super bowl quality team this year regardless of the draft? So why not build for the next couple years so we can have a super bowl team on the field.

Sig by BoneKrusher
roughrider30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:58 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We should have a greatly improved special teams this year, on kick coverage, and with the addition of Mason Crosby.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 AM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughrider30 View Post
Did anyone really expect us to be a super bowl quality team this year regardless of the draft? So why not build for the next couple years so we can have a super bowl team on the field.
Just no. What was Chicago's record two years ago? New England's in 2000? St. Louis' in 1998? New Orleans in 2005? Turnaround and winning are what the NFL is about.

That "next couple of years thing doesn't work in the NFL. If things don't improve yearly, and you're not a playoff team sooner than later, the coach and the GM will not be there. That means that a new system is brought in. The roster gets turned over. And you're back to rebuilding. Teams have to made for winning in the current year, with improvement coming year to year. If the Packers go less than 8-8, will MM be asked back? Howabout if they go 10-6 and make the playoffs. They were a couple plays away last year from making the playoffs. If you don't match the growth of the teams you compete against, you lose.

San Diego had Super Bowl aspirations, lost, now they have a new coach. Jon Gruden has a Super Bowl ring, but if he doesn't win this year, there'll be pressure to move on. Maybe he'll replace McCarthy in 2008 if the Packers are on the 5 year plan and come in and take the rewards of all the slow building and player development.

Know the facts about the league and how things really are, before saying that others don't have football knowledge and just need patience. I'm sure they said that in the 70's and 80's. Then a Wolf came along, he huffed and he puffed and he blew that losing tradition off championship trophies and gave them the shine of competitiveness.

It's nice Ted has a whole bunch of draft picks every year, but he could have had some proven players this year, with the type of production his picks last year had, and without the injury history, and at positions that aren't as stocked on the roster. When needs don't get addressed, like OGs in 2005, people start losing their jobs. If the TE produces like it did last year, and the nickel back gets flamed like last year, and a guy like DD or Jennings gets hurt and there's a bunch of UDFAs as your playmakers, then there will be a reckoning at the end of the year.

TT has a good eye for guys that others might pass on, with Barbre being my favorite choice this year, but he needs to get back to picking some of the types of guys he acquired in Seattle, like S.A. TT also has acquired a habit for GB of picking these unknowns and taking guys rounds before other teams even considered them, and guys from little schools. His Seattle roster was filled with plenty of big conference players, though he has always shown a tendency to trade down. Maybe GB's scouting staff is just better than Seattle's and the othe 30 clubs' scouting staffs and he is getting better players that the other teams don't have on their radar.

Every fan wants the packers to do well, to be competitive THIS year. If you don't want them to win this year, then what type of fan are you? Maybe one of those guys, "I hope we lose our last four games, because at 4-12 again, we could get either Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas!" I'll take a pass on that type of building.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 AM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

Football Fan smells like sex panther.

Worst team in the league with dropped passes, no veteran tight end added, no veteran wide receiver added, no veteran running back added. The packers hung our offence out to dry and for no reason, money was not an issue and there was plenty of cheap help out there. This will be the fulcrom point of Thompsons career in Green Bay. The pack better score some points this year or his head should and will be on the chopping block. The fans will be calling for it. The way he has handled the offence is absurd and anyone that follows the packers at all knows it or there head is up there or his you know what.
I am absolutely pissed off at the opportunities that have been blown this off season to improve the offence.
Football Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:28 AM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

Mike Vandermause column: Play-it-safe Thompson holds back the Packers

By Mike Vandermause

The Green Bay Packers were the big losers Sunday in the Randy Moss sweepstakes.

A Moss trade to Green Bay has been rumored for most of the offseason, but the Packers couldn't close the deal.

They weren't aggressive enough in attempting to land a desperately needed offensive playmaker, and it will come back to haunt them. Somewhere in Mississippi, quarterback Brett Favre must be frowning.

Instead of adding a proven Pro Bowl receiver, the Packers' idea of helping Favre over the weekend was to draft a pair of unproven wideouts who will be hard-pressed to make an immediate impact.

The New England Patriots were the big winners in the Moss derby. They secured Moss' services for the bargain-basement price of a fourth-round draft choice and a reported $3 million in compensation in 2007.

Ted Thompson, the Packers' general manager, has taken a measured, cautious approach to building the roster. There are benefits to that philosophy, in which Thompson leans heavily on the draft and accumulating extra picks, mixes in occasional free-agent signings, and focuses on retaining solid players on the roster.

But there's a significant flaw in Thompson's strategy. At some point, a team has to be willing to take a risk, and Thompson seems unable or unwilling to do that. The safe way is not always the best way.

Former Packers GM Ron Wolf was a master at throwing caution to the wind. In 1992, he traded a first-round draft choice for Favre, who was a third-string quarterback. In 1993, he handed over a boatload of money to sign free-agent Reggie White. In 1995, he traded a second-round pick for tight end Keith Jackson. Those were key moves that helped build a Super Bowl championship team.

That go-for-the-throat mentality appears to be lacking in Thompson, who seems too willing to allow other teams to force the action and dictate terms.

His passive approach has left the Packers without a go-to running back. Thompson was outbid by the Houston Texans for free-agent Ahman Green during the offseason, and he wasn't willing to move up in the first round to select a premier back. In fact, Thompson never has traded up in the draft.

Besides an untested backfield, Favre will be forced to live with one bona fide star receiver Donald Driver and a collection of players high on potential and low on experience.

Thompson would do well to heed the advice of Wolf, who last week offered his philosophy on targeting certain players, either in the draft or on the trade market.

"The bottom line was, if you really wanted a guy, go get the guy," Wolf said. "So what if you gave too much? You would try to make that up some other way. The key was, make sure you got the guy you wanted to get."

The Packers failed to get Moss, a player Favre would have welcomed with open arms. The result is the Packers, who ranked a lowly 22nd in points scored last season, likely will continue to struggle on offense.

Asked Sunday if he needs to be more aggressive for the Packers to reach the next level, Thompson replied: "What we try to do is everything in our power to help to make this team as good as it can be."

Thompson needs to venture outside his comfort zone and try harder. Only then will the Packers be as good as they can be.

He speaks for me.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:38 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
Worst team in the league with dropped passes, no veteran tight end added, no veteran wide receiver added, no veteran running back added. The packers hung our offence out to dry and for no reason, money was not an issue and there was plenty of cheap help out there. This will be the fulcrom point of Thompsons career in Green Bay. The pack better score some points this year or his head should and will be on the chopping block. The fans will be calling for it. The way he has handled the offence is absurd and anyone that follows the packers at all knows it or there head is up there or his you know what.
I am absolutely pissed off at the opportunities that have been blown this off season to improve the offence.
Free agency was pretty dead anyways and if you wanted to get a player then you had to bend over backwards to get him; it wasn't a bad idea to stay away from FA this year.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 AM    (permalink
PackAttack

Quote:
Free agency was pretty dead anyways and if you wanted to get a player then you had to bend over backwards to get him; it wasn't a bad idea to stay away from FA this year.
Agreed. It isn't worth mortgaging our future to overpay for someone who MAY help us now. I'm still very much a fan of building through the draft.

I really think a lot of us will be surprised at how well the Pack does this year. We have a very good coaching staff and a strong core of youthful TALENT. Guys, our entire o-line is coming back this year and they looked pretty good together toward the end of last year....now they will have an offseason together to gel. I see Favre getting more time to throw and better holes being opened up for a group of RBs perfectly suited for the ZBS. I see Driver getting his 80 catches/1200 yards like always only this year he'll have a healthy, stronger, smarter Jennings along side him to add in another 60-70 catches and 900 yards. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see James Jones take down 30 receptions, many of which will be first downs. And Clowney is going to bring in another 20-30 catches with an average YPC of 18+.

And let's not forget our defense. They came on STRONG as the year went on and they got more comfortable in the scheme. Now, at least 9 of 11 starters return, many of whom are young.....one more year of quality coaching and experience and I see our defense being top 10.

Top 10 Defense, Top 20 Offense = Playoffs.

We're just a couple years away from the Super Bowl. Really. Within 5 years TOPS we wil be in the Super Bowl.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

^^only 2 teams make the Super Bowl, I think we'll be good but Favre can't carry us forever.

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:35 PM    (permalink
M1Koter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
there were no vetern RB's to add, Ahman Green was the best avalible and he signed with Huston for way more than he should have got. The only good WR avaible was Moss and we don't need a starter. Were not going to win a super bowl or even come close in the next 2 years, moss would would have only been with us for 2 years, we got 2 quality starters, Morency has been working his arse off in the offseason and deserves the starting position, Jackosn fits the ZBS and will excell in the system. TT is an excellent GM and is taking this team in the right direction, The way he handels the offense? perfectly, gets the guys that fit the system. I'll agree that we needed a TE but there wern't any avaible, Olson wasn't worth the #16 and Miller was picked early 2nd and after that there wern't any good TE's avaible, that guy from miami was washed up forgot his name, McMichal I think, he's not nearly the player he was, so there wasn't any from FA or the draft, and that o-line is going to be solid, thanks to TT, the offense is going to be solid this year, but the D will be beastly

Quote:
Old 05-01-2007, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
WOOT WOOT Rory Johnson a packer yes! Randy Moss didnt want to restruct his contract for us so why would u want to waste a 3rd on him and pay the guy 9-10 million a year????

MOSS SAID HE WOULD RESTRUCTURE HIS CONTRACT IF HE CAME TO GREEN BAY AS HE DID WITH THE PATRIOTS
Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Gravedigger42
Rookie

Gravedigger42 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

For those that think the draft was a miserable failure, who would you have rather The Pack picked at 16?

Hall - Potential to be an average CB in his carrer maybe a pro bowl or 2.
Nelson - A dumb as rocks cover saftey
Meachem - A decent prospect but won't help for 2-3 years as is typical with WR's
Bowe - same as above
Olsen - A late first to ealry second round TE that people were over valuing because he had a good combine and the TE class this year is weak

Basically we got a high risk guy in that, at the beginning of the season, was considered an early round 1 pick. A guy that played a game after sustaining an season ending injury just because he knew how big the game agianst a div. rival was. A guy that was in so much pain that he had tears in his eyes coming off the field after plays and kept going back in. This guy is a gamer that might prove to be the best defensive player in the whole draft. He might not either but considereing the other choices I say nice pick.

There is no way that TT could put The Pack in position to compete for a SB with what was available this year. I feel bad for Brett that he probably won't get his last shot at another title. The facts are that that would be true no matter what TT did this offseason. Moss would be just as much a crap shoot as some of our daft picks. He never won a SB with Minny or Oakland so what makes everyone think that this guy would be our savior?
Gravedigger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
roughrider30
Veteran

roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johbur View Post

Know the facts about the league and how things really are, before saying that others don't have football knowledge and just need patience. I'm sure they said that in the 70's and 80's. Then a Wolf came along, he huffed and he puffed and he blew that losing tradition off championship trophies and gave them the shine of competitiveness.

It's nice Ted has a whole bunch of draft picks every year, but he could have had some proven players this year, with the type of production his picks last year had, and without the injury history, and at positions that aren't as stocked on the roster. When needs don't get addressed, like OGs in 2005, people start losing their jobs. If the TE produces like it did last year, and the nickel back gets flamed like last year, and a guy like DD or Jennings gets hurt and there's a bunch of UDFAs as your playmakers, then there will be a reckoning at the end of the year.

TT has a good eye for guys that others might pass on, with Barbre being my favorite choice this year, but he needs to get back to picking some of the types of guys he acquired in Seattle, like S.A. TT also has acquired a habit for GB of picking these unknowns and taking guys rounds before other teams even considered them, and guys from little schools. His Seattle roster was filled with plenty of big conference players, though he has always shown a tendency to trade down. Maybe GB's scouting staff is just better than Seattle's and the othe 30 clubs' scouting staffs and he is getting better players that the other teams don't have on their radar.

Every fan wants the packers to do well, to be competitive THIS year. If you don't want them to win this year, then what type of fan are you? Maybe one of those guys, "I hope we lose our last four games, because at 4-12 again, we could get either Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas!" I'll take a pass on that type of building.
First of all, where in my whole post did I talk about not wanting to be competitive? In dont know how you got "I hope we lose our last four games, because at 4-12 again, we could get either Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas!"

I was saying that we were a 4-12 team 2 years ago and last year we showed great improvement and went 8-8. This year I expect us to improve again and compete for a playoff spot. If you realistically thought we had a shot at a tittle this year you are greatly mistaken. I obviously would love to see Favre go out on top, but it just didn't seem realistic this year.I'm actually still confused what you want out of this team, since you were bashing the way TT was running the team in you last post, but you sig is contradicting your post.

What did you expect out of the draft that would make us all of a sudden a contender for the Super Bowl. Yes, there are a few examples of teams that have gone from bad to a contender in a short time, and thanks for the history lesson. The truth is a quick fix doesn't always work for every team, and in the Saints case they didn't have a bad team, it was more of a case of them being in a bad situation with Hurricane Katrina and all. They had more talent than a 4-12 team that year.

Sig by BoneKrusher
roughrider30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

There was plenty of veteran help at several positions on offence at a price well within the teams capabilities and not neccesarily rip offs. Particularly tightend, wide receiver full back and maybe running back. I really hate the idea of going back to dig up the names but even the casual observer can come up with several. Moss, jackson, the tightend from miami,there were a couple fullbacks, but i have to go to work now so im not going to write a book here. Plain and simple there was plenty of upgradable help to get us by while our draft picks gather the experience. As for the draft time will tell. Its the blatent neglect to the offence that was unneccesary and rediculous and mosses low asking price was inexcusable considering the dramatic upgrade he would have been. 3 mill for 1 year bahhhh. no excuse and basically no position adressed, come on. Thats just sad.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
PackAttack

I doubt we go after him but....

what do you think the chances are we go after Keyshawn Johnson now that he got cut?

He could be a pretty solid #3 if he'd be willing to play that role and would be a great guy to teach our younger wideouts for a year or two.