Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2007, 02:55 AM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

Football Fan smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narf029 View Post
Right, the problem is if we sign Keyshawn we'd likely have Driver, Jennings, Keyshawn, Jones, and Clowney, because I doubt we cut either of the rookies after investing draft picks in both. Driver has nothing to learn, Jennings and Clowney are both speed receivers who would not be able to learn a thing from Keyshawn, a 6'4'' possession receiver. Jones is a possession receiver, but he's not a jump ball, throw it up and I'll get it type of guy like Keyshawn was in his prime. When you heard about Keyshawn teaching Dwayne Jarrett all he needs to know, that's because the 2 are virtually the same player, Jarrett needs to use his body more, and that's Keyshawn's specialty. 2nd of all, Keyshawn's not even that good. He hasn't had a 1000 yard season since 2002. He had something like 800 yards and 4 TDs last year (and he had a big game against the Vikings if I remember right, so that barely even counts). Keyshawn has been cut twice in the past 2 years. That isn't random, there's a reason he's been cut. He's overpaid for what he does, and he just doesn't produce anymore.
The packers cant be run like a farm team, they also have to have proven players that can handle the big time. The way Thomson is running the pack they will always have a boat load of prospects and have to cut many low rounders and undrafted players after they are evaluated.There is only so many roster spots and the goal is to win games. That is going to take a good mix of proven players and quality youth that will eventually replace them when theres skills have been surpassed. A continuous cycle. Its up to Thomson to out evaluate the rest of the nfl teams in order to reach the super bowl.
Football Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:17 AM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

I think Thomson might be willing to cut clowney or jones. I think the wide receiver group is going to have to put up the numbers or be cut. The pack wont have the conveniance of being able to hold onto someone based on potential this year. 2 veteran and basically 4 rookies wont cut if you count jennings as a vet plus he could hit the 2nd year wall. Ferg hasnt ever been reliable and I dont know if they keep him if they do its for special teams. Keyshawn would make sense.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:52 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
Hahaha, that's pretty funny.
. :)
Take that ******* sig outta here before I come pull your brains out with a coat hanger you traitor. Never make fun of miein furor, ever agian.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:32 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
Hahaha, that's pretty funny.

You guys like my new sig? my boy kalbears13 did it after i responded to the brady quinn design, it's Brett Favre going up a ramp on a wheelchair doing the Lambeau Roll, cause he's gettin up there in age. :)
It's a decent sig

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:42 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On draft day Ted Thompson rejected a trade offer from the Cleveland Browns that would've sent the 16th pick, Packers 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, and 4th rounder for Cleveland's 2008 1st rounder, 2007 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, and 4th rounder. So pretty much we swap 2nd, 3rd, and 4ths this past year and they would've gotten our 1st this past year and we would've gotten their 1st next year. IMO, that would have been touhg to reject given what that pick could be worth. The Browns play in the tough a$$ AFC with the Steelers, Ravens, Bengals in their division. We could have had a Top 10 pick next year.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:03 AM    (permalink
PackAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
On draft day Ted Thompson rejected a trade offer from the Cleveland Browns that would've sent the 16th pick, Packers 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, and 4th rounder for Cleveland's 2008 1st rounder, 2007 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, and 4th rounder. So pretty much we swap 2nd, 3rd, and 4ths this past year and they would've gotten our 1st this past year and we would've gotten their 1st next year. IMO, that would have been touhg to reject given what that pick could be worth. The Browns play in the tough a$$ AFC with the Steelers, Ravens, Bengals in their division. We could have had a Top 10 pick next year.
This would have been a bad trade for the Packers. Future draft picks are typically valued down one round so basically we would have been giving up our 1st rounder for the value of a 2nd rounder. There is no way of knowing where next year's 1st from the Browns would be and what type of value would have been available there in terms of players.

Now, had the Browns offered next year's 1st rounder and this year's 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and 4th straight up I may have considered it a good trade.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:12 AM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
I think Thomson might be willing to cut clowney or jones. I think the wide receiver group is going to have to put up the numbers or be cut. The pack wont have the conveniance of being able to hold onto someone based on potential this year. 2 veteran and basically 4 rookies wont cut if you count jennings as a vet plus he could hit the 2nd year wall. Ferg hasnt ever been reliable and I dont know if they keep him if they do its for special teams. Keyshawn would make sense.
I think you are more likely to see some of these young receivers end up on IR, with a mysterious Kurt Campbell type of injury. TT has plenty of cap space and can keep as many guys on the roster as he wants on the lower end with IR. Then they're working out, learning the system and I think they get to practice once healthy on the scout team.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:21 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackAttack View Post
This would have been a bad trade for the Packers. Future draft picks are typically valued down one round so basically we would have been giving up our 1st rounder for the value of a 2nd rounder. There is no way of knowing where next year's 1st from the Browns would be and what type of value would have been available there in terms of players.

Now, had the Browns offered next year's 1st rounder and this year's 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and 4th straight up I may have considered it a good trade.
I have to disagree with you b/c if you look at the trade and the value of each pick the value of that 1st rounder would be #21. Now after looking at the Browns team and their schedule I have a hard time believing that they'll be good enough to be competing for the playoffs. I think they could win as many as 7 games and win as few as 4. I have them as guaranteed wins against Detroit, Oakland, Houston, and Buffalo and I'm not even 100% sure about those. Then toss up wins at home aginst Pittsburgh, on the road at Arizona, and at home against San Francisco. Looking at that I find it hard to believe that the Browns would be picking outside the Top 10 next year and they could possibly be one of the 5 worst teams. Unfortunately we will not have the luxury of potentially having that pick b/c we rejected an offer and the Cowboys capitalized on it.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
narf029
Rookie

narf029 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.narf029 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Right, plus the swapping of picks would have been pretty valuable as well. With the Browns 2nd rounder we could have taken Jarrett or Rice like TT apparently wanted to, or we could have traded down for more value than what we got. Same concept with their 3rd and 4th rounders. Plus, I personally think it's safe to say that the Browns would have had a pick higher than 16 next season (point to the Saints all you want, but they're a completely different situation than the Browns are). Plus, the Browns pick has a lot more upside than ours did. We took Justin Harrell this year, the Browns are a perennial top 5 pick. I don't know about anyone else here, but I would gladly trade Justin Harrell for the rights to Glenn Dorsey.
narf029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Jim Jim
Veteran

Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.

You can't predict an NFL season. Games are won and lost by one or two plays.

I would have loved to have two first rounders next year, but I like Justin Harrell and think him with Pickett will improve our entire defense.
Jim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I have to disagree with you b/c if you look at the trade and the value of each pick the value of that 1st rounder would be #21. Now after looking at the Browns team and their schedule I have a hard time believing that they'll be good enough to be competing for the playoffs. I think they could win as many as 7 games and win as few as 4. I have them as guaranteed wins against Detroit, Oakland, Houston, and Buffalo and I'm not even 100% sure about those. Then toss up wins at home aginst Pittsburgh, on the road at Arizona, and at home against San Francisco. Looking at that I find it hard to believe that the Browns would be picking outside the Top 10 next year and they could possibly be one of the 5 worst teams. Unfortunately we will not have the luxury of potentially having that pick b/c we rejected an offer and the Cowboys capitalized on it.
I have to agree with you, I highly doubt the browns draft higher than 16 and even if its around 20 or so the pack will have made up a lot of points with the upgrade in this years 2nd 3rd and 4th. I dont know if next years draft is supposed to be more talented than this years but if it is thats worth a lot there to.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

Now if Harell turns out to be great I can see where thompson is comming from, but I dont harell was picked out of default do to the way the draft went. Not because he was targetted off the get go do to him being this awsome sleeeper.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Now if Harell turns out to be great I can see where thompson is comming from, but I dont harell was picked out of default do to the way the draft went. Not because he was targetted off the get go do to him being this awsome sleeeper.
Harrell was selected, IMO, becuase Thompson did not take the injuries as a big thing to watch out for and he just looked as his abilities and what he had done in games he was actually healthy in. If thats the case it a fairly decent pick but no one knows if he'll stay healthy for an extended period time and whether he was really the BPA regardless of those injuries.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Typo, "but I dont harell was picked out of default do to the way the draft went."
Meant to say, but I think harell was picked out of default do to the way the draft went.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
Pack_Attack_4
Rookie

Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.

Jaguars cornerback Ahmad Carroll was busted on Saturday morning in Atlanta.

Carroll is charged with carrying a concealed weapon, carrying a pistol without a permit, and possession of Ecstasy.

what a waste of a 1st rounder.
Pack_Attack_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:30 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Poor Ahmad...well not really...but poor Packers if only he was half the football player he was an athlete he'd have been real solid for you guys.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Favre4
Veteran

Favre4 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i dont think there is anyway in you know what that clowney gets cut.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:09 AM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have loved it if we'd accepted that trade.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:24 AM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

—DT Colin Cole: ERFA; $435,000/1 yr.
—LS Rob Davis: Potential UFA; $820,000/1 yr.
—RB Noah Herron: ERFA; $435,000/1 yr.
—WR Carlyle Holiday: ERFA; $435,000/1 yr.
—TE Tory Humphrey: ERFA; $360,000/1 yr.
—DE Cullen Jenkins: Potential RFA; $16M/4 yrs, $6M SB.
—TE Donald Lee: Potential UFA; $595,000/1 yr.
—T/G Tyson Walter: UFA; $701,240/1 yr, $40,000 SB.
—LB Tracy White: UFA; $641,240/1 yr, $25,000 SB.

I am thinking that if TT gave a player a signing bonus, he's a little more inclined to keep them on the roster. I'd like White to stick with the team, but he'll need to hold off Desmond and Rory. I like having Tyson Walter on the team, and with Moll and Barbre backing up, they only need to keep 8 linemen active on game day.

Glad Ahmad got arrested as a Jag instead of as a Packer. Maybe that's why his dumb ass couldn't get the NFL, he's too wired with X.

Good articles on JS Online about the draft picks. Rouse and Jones, in particular.

Dave Tollefson looked great in his NFLE game. He had a couple of sacks and put a lot of pressure on the QB. His team won the game, but the other team had a kicker from the Cowboys that missed a game-tying field goal.

Last edited by johbur : 05-06-2007 at 07:16 AM.
johbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Jim Jim
Veteran

Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.

Dude, Carlton Brewster is tearing NFL Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if he beat out Ruvell Martin/Holiday/Ferguson.
Jim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Jmohr107
Rookie

Jmohr107 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Brewster is doing pretty well but I doubt he'll make the roster. I remember last year when Chad Lucas tore up NFL Europe, then he got cut.
Jmohr107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:27 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jim View Post
Dude, Carlton Brewster is tearing NFL Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if he beat out Ruvell Martin/Holiday/Ferguson.
It is still NFL Europe; players can be great but they still have to prove themselves on this side of the pond.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:17 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

http://packers.com/news/stories/2007/05/06/1/

Just some initial reaction from HC Mike McCarthy following work with the newcomers

Old 05-06-2007, 10:02 PM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jim View Post
All I saw was the last of the the fourth quarter on the NFL channel. It was around 2 am or so, I believe. And Dave Tollefson was punking the LT he was going against play after play. If the QB, I think it was Meyer, wasn't so mobile, Dave would have have four sacks in the fourth quarter. He applied some very good pressure and had some solid pass rushing moves, in particular his feint on the edge and then ripping under was responsible for a sack and a big hit on the QB.

I like Carlton Brewster, but TT just seems determined to get Sherman's picks off his team, and to replace the UDFAs with his draftees.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:10 AM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johbur View Post
I like Carlton Brewster, but TT just seems determined to get Sherman's picks off his team, and to replace the UDFAs with his draftees.
Brewster was acquired in a trade last preseason, so he wasn't a Sherman pick.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote