Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2007, 01:56 AM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

Football Fan smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
True, I get angry at people who come on this board and say things like "we need more FAs!!! Sign a big name guy and that's all we need, Favre will take us to the superbowl!" They write tend to write long, thoughtless posts where they complain and complain that 'something' didn't happen when they don't even say what the 'something' is (or they are really vague about it).

And it's not like it only happens on forums, I've read countless articles from known journalists that spout the same kind of green and gold colored garbage and get people to buy into it.

I think TT has done a pretty good job, he's done a few things that really annoy me and a lot of things I like. I will hold out my negativity, because all the guys he brought in are still really young and we don't know if they are for real or not. He hasn't made any big moves that I don't like either, so I give him a pretty high grade so far, but in pencil...

This team doesn't revolve around Brett Favre anymore, it isn't good managerial decisions to build a team around a player that is going to be around for another year or 2 max, and at this point in his career, isn't an elite player anymore.

To be frank about it, Favre has really pissed me off the last year or so, with his drama queen ego. He seems to love milking out his decision on retirement so everyone can tell him how great he is. Every time there is a debatable topic in Packerland, Favre seems to have to tell the media everything he thinks about it and tries to influence management all the time, like he thinks he's so good at quarterbacking that makes him a good GM and coach too. Not to mention that he was asking to get traded recently, what a joke that was. How dedicated are you to a team if you ask for a trade because we didn't acquire a very risky FA, even though we did make offers... (we're never really going to know why Moss went to NE instead of GB)
Actually I remember reading and hearing that management does value Favres opinion and has encouraged him to share those thoughts with them. For damn good reasons to, he has played in the league for 16 years and is one of the all time best at the most important position in the game. He might actually have some valuable insight. He certainly has earned the right to be involved. Maybe your just to young to realize this. Have you a clue what he brought to this team with how successful he has been? He put Green Bay back on the map after countless horrid years and has made the team a fortune. You actually think another qb just walks in and plays quarterback in this league? We will be lucky if the packers have more success than the bears finding a QB. Letting a guy like favre go to waste without giving him the weapons to use his rare ability is nonsense. How many hall of fame offensive players has he had in the last 16 years? Manning had harrison, Montana had rice, taylor and Rodger craig, Aikman had Emmit Smith, Michael Irvin and an awesome offensive line, Elway had Terell Davis, and Rod Smith and won 2 superbowls at age 37 and 38, he could have continued to play but he retired after winning consecutive SBs.
Favres request was a minor one, bring in Moss for 2 years. Do you actually believe Thompson couldnt have gotten Moss? Are you from mars or something? He had 10 times the ammunition and likely could have gotten him for less than NE if he didnt drag his rear end like he does during every free agency period. As for the risk involved, thats just plain idiotic. There was none. Favre should be pissed, he has given this team everything he has, never missed a damn game in his entire career, he is mostly responsible for making the packers tied for the most winning team since 1993 along with Denver
Face it Thompson isnt perfect, he screwed up and should be criticized for it. Its not hard, give it a try. Hell, I have no problem stating it when he makes a good move. I can name several.

You act as though Favre has no right to give his input?
You think retirement for him is a simple decision?
You question this mans dedication????
You insult at least half of packer fans by dismissing there bafflement of a lack of action in free agency. Perhaps people dont want to surrender multiple seasons in the name of potential success down the road without a proven quarterback. A huge amount of people dont feel its neccesary. Its a perfectly legitimate concern. You act like everyone that disagrees with that kind of philosophy are just stupid and havent given the situation any thought. That is one hell of an assumption.
You act like not questioning some of the decisions Thompson somehow makes you a better and more knowledgable fan. I think the opposite could be true.
Are you 12 years old or what?

The way you make light of Favre and his accompishments by your words and just critisized him is pathetic. Just plain sad and shows you dont have the mental capacity to put things into historical perspective. I could see this comming from someone that has always hated the packers, but not from someone that enjoys their success. It really says somethiing about yourself.
Im going to have to try to stop repying to your mindless ignorance.

Last edited by Football Fan : 05-15-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Football Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:59 AM    (permalink
M1Koter
Rookie

M1Koter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

so lets just summurize everything, you think it was a mistake that we didn't get moss, and everyone else arguing against you thinks not getting Moss was not a mistake, and BTW, do you even know what the definition of ignorance is, please I'll save you the trip of Dictionary.com, -basing an argument on something that the opposition cannot prove wrong, pretty much your also making an ignorant argument also

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Sherman's hitting percentage on draft picks is like Ben Sheets at the plate
M1Koter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Jim Jim
Veteran

Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Koter View Post
so lets just summurize everything, you think it was a mistake that we didn't get moss, and everyone else arguing against you thinks not getting Moss was not a mistake, and BTW, do you even know what the definition of ignorance is, please I'll save you the trip of Dictionary.com, -basing an argument on something that the opposition cannot prove wrong, pretty much your also making an ignorant argument also
There's nothing about his argument that's been ignorant. He has every right to have a different opinion than you do. It doesn't make somebody ignorant when they disagree with you.
Jim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

Quote:
32nd in the league with dropped passes. Think about that.
Hell, Thompsons mentor Ron wolf has even come out and said 2 or 3 years ago that management is surrounding a hall of fame quarterback with nfl europe level players on offense. How has that changed since he made that statement?
Favre has made it very clear he needed help on offense.
I suppose they are just ignorant to?

Last edited by Football Fan : 05-15-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:21 PM    (permalink
M1Koter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jim View Post
There's nothing about his argument that's been ignorant. He has every right to have a different opinion than you do. It doesn't make somebody ignorant when they disagree with you.
you misunderstood, he was calling someone else ignorant so I was saying if Football Fan thinks that guy is ignorant than so is he

Quote:
Old 05-15-2007, 10:28 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Favre 7 Tds Away Form The Record
So Wheres It Gonna Happen
I Think We All Say Before The Bye Week

Sep 9 Philadelphia 1:00pm - 2 Tds
Sep 16 @N.Y. Giants 1:00pm - 1 Tds
Sep 23 San Diego 1:00pm - 1 Tds
Sep 30 @Minnesota 1:00pm - 3 Tds
Oct 7 Chicago 8:15pm
Oct 14 Washington 1:00pm

Bold Your Vote

Last edited by The Legend : 05-15-2007 at 10:39 PM.
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
Favre 7 Tds Away Form The Record
So Wheres It Gonna Happen
I Think We All Say Before The Bye Week

Sep 9 Philadelphia 1:00pm
Sep 16 @N.Y. Giants 1:00pm
Sep 23 San Diego 1:00pm
Sep 30 @Minnesota 1:00pm
Oct 7 Chicago 8:15pm
Oct 14 Washington 1:00pm

Bold Your Vote
I think Chicago is when it happens. Pretty good time for it too, prime time game against the biggest rival.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Uh-oh, don't tell me it's more Favre drama already..
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2871803

When is this going to start affecting the locker room? If he misses camp without permission, I mean, these people are expecting him to lead them.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:41 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
Uh-oh, don't tell me it's more Favre drama already..
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2871803

When is this going to start affecting the locker room? If he misses camp without permission, I mean, these people are expecting him to lead them.
yeah there just trying to make something out of nothing
Old 05-15-2007, 10:43 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's nothing to worry about.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
That's nothing to worry about.
But I'm scared, man... I'M SCARED!!!!!

lol

Hey, I'm calling this early but write down TE as our #1 pick next year. It's going to be a deep class for top-tier pass catching TEs, I've got 3 with first round grades right now and potentially as many as 5. Obviously it's going to be up there with WR and CB as our top need and while I really like the corner depth next year, too, I think our O needs the focus in the draft and I'm wholey unimpressed with the WR class at this point except for DeSean Jackson if he bulks up.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 05-15-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:43 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

Well Here You Go

1st Round : Steve Slaton | Running Back | West Virginia | Height 5-10 | Weight 210 | 40 Time 4.39

2005 Attemps 200 Yards 1150 Avg 5.5 Touchdowns 17
2006 Attemps 250 Yards 1750 Avg 7.5 Touchdowns 16

http://www.steveslaton.org/steve-slaton-videos.php

2nd Round : Dwight Lowery | Corner Back | San Jose State | Height 6-1 | Weight 190 | 40 Time 4.35

2006 Tackles 50 Interceptions 9 Yards 120 Fumble Recovery 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP6DhBqkXt0 (Warning : Full Game)

3rd Round : Marcus Monk | Wide Outs / Thight End| Arkansas | Height 6-7 | Weight 230 | 40 Time 4.5

2006 Receptions 50 Touchdowns 11 Yards 750 (With The Worst QB)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OvGi3NSJUuE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TWugld7QR8s

Last edited by The Legend : 05-15-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:56 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Uhh?

Why would we draft Slaton?

Old 05-16-2007, 01:42 AM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

Default Coming to Favre's defense

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=605987
A case of win today vs. win in the future. Basically what ive been saying.
It can cause quite a heated debate.

Last edited by Football Fan : 05-16-2007 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:49 AM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

Quote:
you misunderstood, he was calling someone else ignorant so I was saying if Football Fan thinks that guy is ignorant than so is he
Eh, the man questioned favre's dedication. The guy that never missed a game his entire career, something done by nobody. When the packers are brought up in conversation out of wisconsin (or in) even in some foreign countries, people think Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers.

It was blunt, but justified.

Last edited by Football Fan : 05-16-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:40 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We are definitely building for the future, but I don't get how you think management is trying to lose, like they think it's funny to screw Favre or something.

It's just stupid to try to take an 8-8 team and try to push it to the superbowl in 1 year, by building it around a 37 year old QB. We are adding lots of good players, but it seems like everyone is pissed because we aren't paying the 10 mil a year that this year's FAs are getting, when there were very few that would have fit the offense and helped the team all that much.

My take on our WR core:

Driver: Pro bowler, or close. Makes no sense trying to replace him.
Jennings: Promising young player, did alright at #2 last year even considering injury, and will only improve. Can't see why people want to demote him.
Robinson: As a receiver, one of the best #3s in the league. Would be a #1 without character issues.
Jones/Clowney/Martin/Holiday have a good mix of potential and consistency as depth.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:11 AM    (permalink
Football Fan
Veteran

Quote:
We are definitely building for the future, but I don't get how you think management is trying to lose, like they think it's funny to screw Favre or something.

It's just stupid to try to take an 8-8 team and try to push it to the superbowl in 1 year, by building it around a 37 year old QB. We are adding lots of good players, but it seems like everyone is pissed because we aren't paying the 10 mil a year that this year's FAs are getting, when there were very few that would have fit the offense and helped the team all that much.

My take on our WR core:

Driver: Pro bowler, or close. Makes no sense trying to replace him.
Jennings: Promising young player, did alright at #2 last year even considering injury, and will only improve. Can't see why people want to demote him.
Robinson: As a receiver, one of the best #3s in the league. Would be a #1 without character issues.
Jones/Clowney/Martin/Holiday have a good mix of potential and consistency as depth.
You may not like the sound of lose now win later, but it is what it is. Aquiring a couple veteran free agents for some quick fixes is almost always a sign of planning to win this year. Its pretty clear that Thompson is working on a 5 year plan kinda thing (the length of his contract, this is his 3rd year) and thats somewhat shaky considering we wont have a proven quarterback, they just dont grow on trees. Most sb teams have one. Grossman was probably the bears biggest problem last year and how long have they been looking for a QB?
Did you think New Orleans would be 1 game away from the superbowl last year with their record the previous season? The packers should have beat them, they did soundly beat the bears (a sb team), although the game basically meant nothing for chicago. The pack also was very close to winning 2 or 3 more games last year, but thats "shoulda woulda coulda talk".
The NFC is up for grabs again this year, with 1 or 2 teams holding an edge. Its not like the AFC. It wasnt out of the realm of possibility for the packers to have had a chance this year, but the team needed some veteran offensive help, rookies just wont cut it. I dont think anyone wants to run down the list of options again. That has been debated heavily already.

As far as Favre is concerned:
If Thompsons plans didnt include Favre, he should have been a man about it and told him. Something like thanks for all you have done for greenbay, but were going into rebuilding mode and we wont be needing you or offered to let him stay but been straight with him. To the best of my knowledge though, Thompson has publicly denied being in rebuilding mode. By beating around the bush about it, Favre has wasted the last 3-5 years of his career. He could have went to another team that was making a run at the sb. Maybe he would have found himself in New Orleans close to his home.
Instead Favre is getting pissed off, because Thompson wont bring some weapons in for him and we get all this media drama.
Personally I think Favre could have made his last run at it in greenbay. Which is probably what most of the fans wanted, but its apparent that isnt the stategy.

Last edited by Football Fan : 05-16-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:50 AM    (permalink
M1Koter
Rookie

Do you think by signing moss We'll win a SB? ah no, and there wasn't anybody else that would have helped us all that much, we've been over this were all arguing the same points we've been arguing, I mean come on, the best FA avaible was a FB, there was nobody that would help us

Quote:
Old 05-16-2007, 07:21 AM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
Well Here You Go

1st Round : Steve Slaton | Running Back | West Virginia | Height 5-10 | Weight 210 | 40 Time 4.39
I find it odd that you have Brandon Jackson in your sig, but give us a 1st round running back.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Do you think by signing moss We'll win a SB? ah no, and there wasn't anybody else that would have helped us all that much, we've been over this were all arguing the same points we've been arguing, I mean come on, the best FA avaible was a FB, there was nobody that would help us
I have to agree here.

Look at Randy Moss' stats from last year. Try not to faint. He's not the guy he was in his youth, he's over 30 now and was predominatly a speed receiver with mad leaping ability. He doesn't have that same athletic ability anymore and he never developed the football savy to produce in other ways.

Besides that, who could we have picked up that would have helped us win this year? What we needed was a TE and we were unable to pull the trigger on any.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agreed, I really wanted Griffith and I'm still really disappointed we didn't get him. The TE FA crop was pretty weak this year and I'm glad we didn't sign one, but I wish we had drafted one earlier than the 7th round.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 05-16-2007, 11:06 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Agreed, I really wanted Griffith and I'm still really disappointed we didn't get him. The TE FA crop was pretty weak this year and I'm glad we didn't sign one, but I wish we had drafted one earlier than the 7th round.
Yeah, we had a few chances at Ben Patrick from Delaware and I was disappointed when we didn't take him. Otherwise Miller and Olsen were the only ones around and I prefer the 1st and 2nd round picks we got over either of them.

We'll see, maybe Franks decides to play football again.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:38 AM    (permalink
M1Koter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
Yeah, we had a few chances at Ben Patrick from Delaware and I was disappointed when we didn't take him. Otherwise Miller and Olsen were the only ones around and I prefer the 1st and 2nd round picks we got over either of them.

We'll see, maybe Franks decides to play football again.
There must have been something wrong with Ben Patrick that non of us saw, it's no like were the only team that passed on him, he went 7th round, which was suprising cause after day 1 I was shocked to see him still on the board, I wanted him to become a packer but it didn't quite work out

Quote:
Old 05-16-2007, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Smokey
Veteran

Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you gents think of signing Tony Parrish to a short, minimum contract? He's been injured but is a hard worker, character guy, and only a couple of years removed from pro bowl level numbers.
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:37 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

Zac Alcorn is supposed to be a freak at TE for us...6'4" 255lbs, 4.6 40, so he could come out of no where to start for us but I hope we're not relying on him...

Thanks to BK for the sig