Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 23 48.94%
I love it 32 68.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2009, 04:50 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Apparently Packers are interested in Canty and have contacted his agent.
Where have you seen this? Besides him have the Packers even talked to anyone?

A 2nd rounder for Tony G??? uhh no he may only play 1 more year 2 tops. Yes he would be a huge help, maybe a 3rd if he plays 2 more but still might as well draft someone.

Anyone think we should have traded for K2? Although id hate losing a 2nd he would make our passing attack rape even more.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:50 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
Canty is going to get 50-60 million. A 3-4 DE shouldn't make that much.
He's looking for about what Tommy Kelly got: 7 years $50 million. That would be worth it. It's a lot of money, but we need another end badly. There are some players on the roster that could potential fill that role, but for a good proven player we should give him the money. Adding Canty would go a long way to giving us a good 3-4. 3-4 DEs are not as important as some other positions in the 3-4, but you still need good players there if you want it to work. You can't just throw any big body at that position and expect them to fill the role. If we pair Canty with Cullen Jenkins we are in great shape there instead of it being a weakness. We'd be in great shape with 2/3 of our DL for years to come.

Chris Canty is only 26. A 7 year contract would take him to 33 which is the perfect length for us. Say he gets a little more than Kelly at $53 million. That is a lot of money, but it would be put to good use. After a couple of years pass he'd be underpaid compared to the contracts given out at that time and he'll be great value one we get to the third year of the deal. We have been paying KGB $7.7 million. That'll be coming off the books and at the 7 year $53 million deal for Canty it'd be less than that. Last year Justin Smith signed a deal that paid just as much per year as it would for Canty and Canty is a much better player and fit for the 3-4. For an average 3-4 DE, no that's not a good price to pay, but to get Canty it would be well worth it.

He's a good player that would greatly improve our defense. He is a significant upgrade over any other possible option this offseason. This is the kind of free agent you sign.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Chris Canty is only 26. A 7 year contract would take him to 33 which is the perfect length for us. Say he gets a little more than Kelly at $53 million. That is a lot of money, but it would be put to good use. After a couple of years pass he'd be underpaid compared to the contracts given out at that time and he'll be great value one we get to the third year of the deal.
Yeah I was thinking about that a lot today. These massive contracts will be bargains in 3-4 years. Not the top ones like Haynesworth, but it's true for the middle and lower tiers.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:20 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

getting heated...
Quote:
The Packers contacted Blank at the start of free agency late Thursday night to express their interest, though they also warned they generally don’t move early in free agency. However, their interest has escalated, and they called again today to set up a visit for Canty early next week.

Blank said he gave the Packers a general idea of the contract Canty appears in line for and the team’s co-director of football operations, Reggie McKenzie, said the Packers still want him to visit as soon as possible after Seattle. The Packers in recent years have not pursued a free agent who has drawn this level of interest at the start of free agency, so if they bring Canty in they’ll be breaking new ground under General Manager Ted Thompson.

“It’s a perfect situation for him because of the 3-4,” Blank said of the Packers. “These other teams are 4-3.”
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...er/index.shtml

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:46 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Canty hopefully your smart and say **** the 4-3 and come to the 3-4 Packers!

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Yatta!
Veteran

Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone know how much Olshansky is said to be looking for?

Either he or Canty would be good signings, but I am slightly wary of Canty's supposed demands.

Sig by Eaglez.Fan
Yatta! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we were to sign Canty I'd feel a lot more confident in our 3-4. It sounds like they're really trying to make something happen.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:12 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatta! View Post
Anyone know how much Olshansky is said to be looking for?

Either he or Canty would be good signings, but I am slightly wary of Canty's supposed demands.
As long as Canty is still on the market it really doesn't matter. It'd be a mistake to choose Olshansky over Canty no matter how much less he costs. I'd look into Olshansky if we don't get Canty, but he is a very distant second option.

Fricken Bart Scott just got 6 years $48 million, I'd give Canty 7/55 without question.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:55 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
If we were to sign Canty I'd feel a lot more confident in our 3-4. It sounds like they're really trying to make something happen.
It would certainly make the transition alot easier for the front 7

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
It would certainly make the transition alot easier for the front 7
If I'm not mistaken if we did sign Canty it would pretty much solidify (more or less) 6 of that front 7.

Canty, Pickett, Jenkins
Kampman, Barnett, Hawk, ___

So if we draft a rush OLB at the nine spot we'll be pretty set. Biggest concern with the defense would be no backup NT, imo.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Question: Which player our we more in need of, a NT, or an OLB?

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NT without a doubt. It depends on what they do with Harrell. If they keep him at 320 then him and Pickett rotating are not a bad option compared to what we have at OLB.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:47 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Question: Which player our we more in need of, a NT, or an OLB?
OLB. At NT we have Ryan Pickett, who might be able to get it done. I have some doubts, but he is capable of filling the role. At OLB right now we have Brady Poppinga. I think Poppinga is a great player to have as a backup, but I know he is not a starter in the 3-4.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:24 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
OLB. At NT we have Ryan Pickett, who might be able to get it done. I have some doubts, but he is capable of filling the role. At OLB right now we have Brady Poppinga. I think Poppinga is a great player to have as a backup, but I know he is not a starter in the 3-4.
I'm not so sure of that, his strength is rushing the passer. He was a DE in college(until his senior year). But I would definitely prefer to have an elite OLB opposite Kampmann. But I think Poppinga fits in the 3-4 better than he does in the 4-3.

I also have no doubt that Pickett can get it done. But I think Gilbert Brown needs to come back. I don't care how old he is. His 900 lbs of man meat can hold the line even if he is 80.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:37 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
I'm not so sure of that, his strength is rushing the passer. He was a DE in college(until his senior year). But I would definitely prefer to have an elite OLB opposite Kampmann. But I think Poppinga fits in the 3-4 better than he does in the 4-3.

I also have no doubt that Pickett can get it done. But I think Gilbert Brown needs to come back. I don't care how old he is. His 900 lbs of man meat can hold the line even if he is 80.
Poppinga is simply not a talented enough player to be a starting 3-4 OLB. I think he fits the scheme well and is a nice option to have as a backup, but I definitely do not want him starting. His pass rushing is overrated though. He was given plenty of opportunities this past season and didn't get a single sack. In fact he hasn't had a single sack since 2006. When we put him at DE in nickle situations he didn't even get a pass rush. Also, holy crap, he'll be 30 in September. I mean I've always known he was older because of that Morman mission he did before college, but he's even older than Kampman. I think that puts him as the 5th oldest on the whole team.

Quote:
His 900 lbs of man meat can hold the line
uhhhh
Old 02-28-2009, 12:43 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

So it looks like Tampa Bay is going to steal Cole from us. That means we'll have zero NT depth. We better sign Canty and then try Harrell at NT now. Otherwise we have to take either Raji or Brace in the draft. I mean I want Brace anyway, but we don't want to be in a position where we need him so badly we have to reach.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:40 AM    (permalink
Burger
Rookie

Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldnt mind trading down from our early second to the mid and late second if Clay Matthews Jr. is Taken, or if we get a OLB in the first.
Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:12 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So it looks like Tampa Bay is going to steal Cole from us. That means we'll have zero NT depth. We better sign Canty and then try Harrell at NT now. Otherwise we have to take either Raji or Brace in the draft. I mean I want Brace anyway, but we don't want to be in a position where we need him so badly we have to reach.
I really want Raji, a stud NT like that makes the 3-4 tick. Imagine a line of Jenkins, Canty, and Pickett/Raji. That would just be amazing. Then pick up an OLB in the second, because I honestly believe Poppinga can handle it as a stop gap measure. I wouldn't want him there long term, but you win by building up the trenches.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:47 AM    (permalink
Yatta!
Veteran

Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
I really want Raji, a stud NT like that makes the 3-4 tick.
Raji would be my top choice as well, there are only about 3 real NTs in the whole draft whereas there figures to be plenty of solid OLBs in the 2nd and even the 3rd. To me the gap between Raji - Brace - Hill is much greater than that between say Everette Brown - Sintim - Cody Brown.

Sig by Eaglez.Fan
Yatta! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Wallzy
Rookie

Wallzy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If we settle on Poppinga to start at OLB, and Kampman struggles at all in his transition outside - how do we generate pressure?!? We'd be at the bottom of the league. There seem to be a lot of potential pass rushing OLBs in the first 50 picks. Altho TT has said he doesnt want to trade #9, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he did. Unless he loves Orakpo, Brown or Maybin (altho I think Orakpo or Brown will be gone), we might want to move down for English, Matthews, Cushing, or Barwin.

That is why I like the idea of training Harrell at the nose. The other guy I'd love taking a flyer on in the 3rd round is Terrance Taylor out of Michigan. He is an underachiever, but he's got the physical tools to become a true NT. I think we'd provide a great situation for a guy like that to come in and succeed.
Wallzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Wallzy
Rookie

Wallzy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

You know what my favourite part of this discussion is? No one is talking about Jenkins anymore!!! I think we've realized our needs in the front 5 are far greater than depth in the secondary, both in the short-term and the long-term.
Wallzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:46 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They can have him. Having Cole play NT would not be good. I don't even want him for depth really, rather find someone else.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys...this has been posted in every single forum on here so I thought I'd let you know Cassel to Chiefs. Love to stay and chat, but I gotta go post it in the Off Topic Forum now. jk

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:37 PM    (permalink
cuzifelt1ikeit
Veteran

cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.

i dont really think that ted will take connor barwin.. hes doesnt really seem like hte kind of guy who would risk a late first/second on someone who has never played linebacker and only one season at defensive end. i think when you pick someone like that because you think your coaching staff can mold him into something great is being a little ignorant myself...

id love to see raji with our fist pick and matthews with our second pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigNall4MVP
biigest mistake packers ever make was geting rid of craig nall he beter then bret faver
cuzifelt1ikeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:00 PM    (permalink
jsa230
Rookie

jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what about sidbury in the second? i havent seen him in any game sit. but he has the size, speed plus those long arms. He might not be a tt guy but i think he fits in the 34 more so than the 43. you can't count out ol in the 2nd. hopefully thompson doesn't draft a receiver. Im all for raji in the first. its funny the more you hear rajis character issues put to rest the more you hear about the packers drafting him.

On Andrew Luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
People are expecting him to be some sort of alien defense-destroying robot QB and it's just not realistic.
jsa230 is offline   Reply With Quote