Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezPower4 View Post
Kampman may not have any interest in coming back to the Packers but why would TT just let a very good 4-3 DE walk out the door for nothing? It would seem to make more sense to tag Kampman and try to trade him. Although I think his value has dropped a little bit given his play last season and of course the injury that he sustained in November. Getting something in return for him would be better than nothing. If worse comes to worse and TT canít trade him then heís got one more year to try and develop as an OLB and prove that he can be a productive player at that position for us.
Yeah, I can't see Kampman leaving for free.

As for Merriman, bring him in if Kampman leaves. It leaves us with more options in the draft.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezPower4 View Post
Kampman may not have any interest in coming back to the Packers but why would TT just let a very good 4-3 DE walk out the door for nothing? It would seem to make more sense to tag Kampman and try to trade him. Although I think his value has dropped a little bit given his play last season and of course the injury that he sustained in November. Getting something in return for him would be better than nothing. If worse comes to worse and TT can’t trade him then he’s got one more year to try and develop as an OLB and prove that he can be a productive player at that position for us.
The Franchise tag would pay him more than 15 million next season wouldn't it? That would be an unforgiveable mistake...Too much money for a guy who may or may not be anything better than average as an OLB in a 3-4.

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:12 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post
The Franchise tag would pay him more than 15 million next season wouldn't it? That would be an unforgiveable mistake...Too much money for a guy who may or may not be anything better than average as an OLB in a 3-4.
I think the LB tag would be around $10 million. Maybe even less. Karlos Dansby was tagged last year for a little over $8 million. Either way though thats way too much for Kampman.

Kampman has been descent, as J-Mike88 pointed out he was leading the team in QB pressures before he got injured. The sacks weren't there which hurt his value and I think there's 3 questions that needs to be answered. When did Matthews become effective? After Kampman was injured in week 9, Matthews posted 7 sacks. Was that due to having a more capable pass rusher opposite him? Can Matthews emergence benefit Kampman?
cvv84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
I think the LB tag would be around $10 million. Maybe even less. Karlos Dansby was tagged last year for a little over $8 million. Either way though thats way too much for Kampman.

Kampman has been descent, as J-Mike88 pointed out he was leading the team in QB pressures before he got injured. The sacks weren't there which hurt his value and I think there's 3 questions that needs to be answered. When did Matthews become effective? After Kampman was injured in week 9, Matthews posted 7 sacks. Was that due to having a more capable pass rusher opposite him? Can Matthews emergence benefit Kampman?
Ah, you're right. I was thinking Julius Peppers last season and defensive ends. I didn't think about his position change, which would be quite a bit cheaper. Nice call.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:25 AM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Merriman would be an interesting get. He has the same high risk/high reward that Woodson had. If Merriman hurt, he's a bust in the same class as Joe Johnson. With Capers scheming for him, if he's healthy he could be the DPOY.

Not sure about Cromartie for Hawk. Hawk is what his draft stock had him as: steady, dependable, not flashy. But he started picking up the impact plays this year in addition to the tackles. I like our LB corp a lot with Mathews, Chillar, Barnett and Hawk in there. Brad Jones had a nice season for a 7th rounder. AK might or might not be worth bringing back. I definately think a healthy Merriman would be an upgrade over AK in this system. Too bad AK wasn't traded last season to a 3-4 team for a corner or an LT.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 AM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.

Would Merriman be a RFA this off-season? That is assuming that the new CBA doesn't get done (doubt it will) If he was a normal FA, I'd hope he'd be our number one target. He is one of my favorite players to watch.
RyanBraun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:40 AM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont know if I want Cromartie. I know he did put up some big int numbers one season but some Charger fans really really really want him gone because hes pretty bad. Hawk hasnt been amazing at all but I think everyone is still fairly satisfied that he is doing ok although we still hope for more from him. I know Cro has potential but atleast Hawk hasnt been downright awful at times.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:43 AM    (permalink
roidrunner
Pro Bowler

roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

spending a franchise tag on a guy who has a torn ACL (i believe, correct me if i am wrong) is completely asinine. We could probably get him for cheap. but i would rather we just let him go. and move on with our lives.
roidrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He's getting older and developing nagging injuries. Not exactally someone I'd want to tie up with a long term deal. Especially when you have a very promising young guy who we spent a top 10 pick on. The transition tag would make much more sense considering a potential lockout in 2011.
Transition tagging Pickett would pay him $6.35 million. It sounds like a lot, but might not be a bad idea rather than signing him long term. Here's the official Transition Tag and Franchise Tag numbers. 1st column F-tag, 2nd column T-tag:

Quote:
Quarterback: $16.405 million [franchise tag], $14.546 million [transition tag]

Defensive end: $12.398m, $10.193m

Offensive line: $10.731m, $9.142m

Linebacker: $9.680m, $8.373m

Cornerback: $9.566 m , $8.056 m

Wide receiver: $9.521m, $8.651m

Running back: $8.156m, $7.151m

Defensive tackle: $7.003m, $6.353m

Safety: $6.455m, $6.011m

Tight end: $5.908m, $5.248m

Punter/kicker: $2.814m, $2.629m
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...bers-revealed/

Old 01-29-2010, 04:45 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Transition tagging Pickett would pay him $6.35 million. It sounds like a lot, but might not be a bad idea rather than signing him long term. Here's the official Transition Tag and Franchise Tag numbers. 1st column F-tag, 2nd column T-tag:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...bers-revealed/
Exactally. That why we aren't committing alot of money over several years. The DT transition tag is the 3rd cheapest tag and we'd still get a 1st round pick if someone tries to sign him.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:08 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBraun8 View Post
Would Merriman be a RFA this off-season? That is assuming that the new CBA doesn't get done (doubt it will) If he was a normal FA, I'd hope he'd be our number one target. He is one of my favorite players to watch.
I don't think the Packers are going to be willing to pay Merriman's asking price. The Packers have typically stayed away for really high priced FAs. I do agree that he would be a great addition for our team and would make me very exited.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:16 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate both Merriman and Cromartie so much. Merriman with his stupid dance that he does/did and his roids and Cromartie who thinks he's great because he had one good year which was more like one game that grabbed everyone's attention and now he thinks his job is to get interceptions and ignore everything else about football.

I'm very confident that neither will wear Green and Gold.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 PM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.

Merriman is a flat out animal and I personally like him dance better than Barnetts Zoro thing. Cromarties head his the size of Lambeau Field but if he wants to he can be a phenomianal CB. I doubt he'd be traded here in the first place but maybe being around Vets like Woodson and Harris all the time would get him turned around. Merriman and Matthews would be crazy
RyanBraun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

You guys are aware that Merriman is a restricted free agent, right? There's no way the Chargers are going to just let him go for free. Lets be realistic here as we all know TT's free agent philosophy.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quick change of direction here. Check out Ryan Pickett and that incoming class for the Buckeyes. Holy ****.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.2.html
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 PM    (permalink
RockJock07
Rookie

RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
You guys are aware that Merriman is a restricted free agent, right? There's no way the Chargers are going to just let him go for free. Lets be realistic here as we all know TT's free agent philosophy.
Merriman has worn out his welcome in SD. They'd probably let him go but for what price. Also, TT traded down in every draft so far until last year when he traded back into the 1st round to grab a Pro Bowler. If TT can grab a pro bowler without giving up to much then he'll get Merriman.

To be honest, I don't know why people wouldn't want cromartie. That trade would be a great trade for the Packers considering Hawk will want a raise this year and Cromartie is an athletic freak that will provide an upgrade over Bush and even Tramon.

On 2 separate notes, Aaron can do anything he wants to on a football field. Also, after the Senior Bowl I would love to get brandon Graham in round 2 if possible.

Sidesider for life, Go White Sox
RockJock07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07 View Post
Merriman has worn out his welcome in SD. They'd probably let him go but for what price. Also, TT traded down in every draft so far until last year when he traded back into the 1st round to grab a Pro Bowler. If TT can grab a pro bowler without giving up to much then he'll get Merriman.

To be honest, I don't know why people wouldn't want cromartie. That trade would be a great trade for the Packers considering Hawk will want a raise this year and Cromartie is an athletic freak that will provide an upgrade over Bush and even Tramon.

On 2 separate notes, Aaron can do anything he wants to on a football field. Also, after the Senior Bowl I would love to get brandon Graham in round 2 if possible.
Calm, cool, collected. His TD pass to Steve Smith, "ain't no thing". It's great to see though, and I'm glad he represented the NFC North well...Unlike Bryant McKinnie.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:25 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Calm, cool, collected. His TD pass to Steve Smith, "ain't no thing". It's great to see though, and I'm glad he represented the NFC North well...Unlike Bryant McKinnie.
I was just glad to see Mario Williams hold up on that 'would be' sack.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:37 PM    (permalink
RockJock07
Rookie

RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
I was just glad to see Mario Williams hold up on that 'would be' sack.
Ditto, considered Super Mario didn't extend the same pleasure to Tony Romo later in the game.

Sidesider for life, Go White Sox
RockJock07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IIRC Mario was offsides on that play and the refs didn't call it, so maybe he was thinking the sack would have been a real cheap shot.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
IIRC Mario was offsides on that play and the refs didn't call it, so maybe he was thinking the sack would have been a real cheap shot.
He was offsides for sure..... no refs in the game?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:03 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Fellas, give me your opinion on Julius Peppers.
Like Charles Woodson in the 2006 FA period, he's got some question marks certainly. A lot of money is gonna go to a guy with some question marks.
But like Charles, Julius is a rare, special athlete who is often a difference-maker on the football field. Both were college sensations, top-5 draft picks, and instand All-Pro's. But they had some issues nevertheless....

He's going to cost a lot of money for sure.
He's also not played in a 3-4 before. But the dude was such as special athlete, he played basketball too.
No, not just in high school, but in college.
No not a crappy college program. He played at North Carolina... you know, same school as Michael Jordan, Vince Carter, Jerry Stackhouse, etc. He's twice the athlete that Aaron Kampman is.

He's been called moody. So was Woodson.
He just turned 30.
So he's much younger than Harris, Woodson, Driver, etc.
Reggie White was also 30 I think, when we signed him to a mega deal of 4 years/$17 million back in the early 90's. It paid off.

I watched Peppers batter Favre this December. It, he, made the Panters DBs and LBs look like all shutdown corners. Our pass rush against Favre (and Warner, Ben), made our DBs and LBs look like they were running in sand, nowhere to be, MIA.

Obviously I want Peppers no matter what the cost is because I know he and Matthews would be the NFL's best bookend pass rushers, right there with Freeney & Mathis. They make the Colts DBs look a lot better than they are.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:15 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Peppers? Never going to happen nor would I want it to happen. He's going to demand a ton of money and there's been alot of questions as to his dedication to football. I have to question weather he's going to pack it in once he gets his big payday. I'd much rather pay our own guys instead.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Obviously I want Peppers no matter what the cost is
Why? So you can lose probowl caliber guys ( Collins, Pickett, Jenkins, Jolly) who are key parts of the defense in the near future and a responsible fiscal approach?

I'm not opposed to bringing in Peppers per se, and I really would like to upgrade the pass rush. However, his contract will likely be something out of control and is not really something I want to haunt the Packers for years.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:32 PM    (permalink
roidrunner
Pro Bowler

roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

peppers does not fit the TT mold. woodson is basically the exception, not the rule. I highly doubt that peppers will become a packer.
roidrunner is offline   Reply With Quote