Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2010, 04:33 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cornerback, then safety, then distant third OLB. We didn't have enough capable coverage guys to disguise our defense. We had to blitz too much. Warner, Big Ben, Favre were all vets who knew how to handle it. Read the defense quick and throw it to the receiver being covered by the practice squad guy. That's the play we lost the Pittsburgh game on. We need corners besides Woodson and Williams that we can rely on to some degree. Maybe someone to take Williams' job - he isn't a scrub but he struggles at times. Atari Bigby needs to get healthy and bring something to the table. Either cover better or lay some hits over the middle or get to the quarterback (if we start blitzing him).

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:36 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm glad I'm not alone I thought everyone here was thinking pass rush.

Agree/disagree?:
Our pass rush was better after Kampman went down because Brad Jones was an adequate, albeit not as good as Kampman, pass rusher who allowed us to run a less predictable, less one sided 3-4

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 03-01-2010, 04:37 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
Some good news: McCarthy named Finley the "starter" which is what he called Lee the past 3 years. Lee played in more snaps per game than Finley last year. Next year Lee is scheduled for a heavy dosage of special teams duty.
Love it, although I'd still like to draft a more blocking TE who can run some short/intermediate routes.

Finley is really revolutionizing our offense and giving us a big matchup weapon.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:39 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Has FS Nick Collins been tendered yet? And if so, at what level?

Thanks.
Not yet but he's going to be given the tender that would give us a 1st and 2nd round pick if another team signs him.

There was a report from the combine though that the Packers were working on an extention for him.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Mr.Regular
2008 NFL Mock Draft Champion
Veteran

Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sleeper alert:
We need to target this Dekoda Watson kid. I remember him always being way too undersized, but he bulked up to a nice 240. Plus he was one of the stars of the combine thus far (maybe THE best LB). He had good production throughout his career and he always seemed to be a player everytime I watched FSU. Anyone else liking him?

Mr.Regular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:51 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
Love it, although I'd still like to draft a more blocking TE who can run some short/intermediate routes.

Finley is really revolutionizing our offense and giving us a big matchup weapon.
I really want to take Nate Byham out of Pitt in the 5th or 6th if he's there. 6'4" 268 he's an inline blocker that would do really well running into linebackers but as a pass catcher he's pretty much limited to a catch when he gets lost in zone coverage.

Lee makes 2 mil I believe which is pretty cheap but why not just cut him and bring in a young, hungry TE for cheaper? Havner is already the better pass catcher and all we should be using Lee for is blocking because he drops everything.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Last edited by umphrey : 03-01-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:28 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Regular View Post
Sleeper alert:
We need to target this Dekoda Watson kid. I remember him always being way too undersized, but he bulked up to a nice 240. Plus he was one of the stars of the combine thus far (maybe THE best LB). He had good production throughout his career and he always seemed to be a player everytime I watched FSU. Anyone else liking him?
I wouldn't mind the Packers using a mid-rounder on guy like this, but his on the field production and play never matched up with his physical tools. Are you thinking Watson may be a OLB option? He's too undersized to play inside, IMO.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Mr.Regular
Veteran

Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I wouldn't mind the Packers using a mid-rounder on guy like this, but his on the field production and play never matched up with his physical tools. Are you thinking Watson may be a OLB option? He's too undersized to play inside, IMO.
Yes I was thinking OLB. Hes undersized for that too, but I wouldnt mind using a mid rounder on him and developing him for a little bit. He has a ton of intriguing potential.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel the Packers have determined that TJ Lang's position moving forward will be right tackle.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Mr.Regular
Veteran

Quote:
According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel the Packers have determined that TJ Lang's position moving forward will be right tackle.
I like. I think he has a good future going forward. Our future OL should look like

1st rounder this year/ Spitz/ Wells/ Sitton/ Lang

with Wells perhaps being replaced in the future.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:37 PM    (permalink
roidrunner
Pro Bowler

roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

So here is a question for you all. I have been watching the combine a lot lately. and i noticed something the biggest flaw in Taylor mays is that he has stiff hips and has issues back pedaling. WHich is not good for a person who wants to be a DB. So what about if the packers drafting him and moving him to OLB? Opposite of Clay. His speed would make him an asset. as well as his hitting ability is not really in question. Its just some thing interesting i have been thinking about. Thoughts? Opinions?
roidrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:40 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Probably his 2nd best position IMO. I like him more at LG but I can't really complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roidrunner View Post
So here is a question for you all. I have been watching the combine a lot lately. and i noticed something the biggest flaw in Taylor mays is that he has stiff hips and has issues back pedaling. WHich is not good for a person who wants to be a DB. So what about if the packers drafting him and moving him to OLB? Opposite of Clay. His speed would make him an asset. as well as his hitting ability is not really in question. Its just some thing interesting i have been thinking about. Thoughts? Opinions?
He doesn't have any pass rushing moves. Best case for him if he can't cut it at safety is to become a Thomas Davis in a 4-3 defense.

Last edited by cvv84 : 03-02-2010 at 04:42 PM.
cvv84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:49 PM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.

Quote:
Probably his 2nd best position IMO. I like him more at LG but I can't really complain.
Agreed LG would be the idea spot for Lang but I think he will be fine at RT. Much better than trying to make him a LT at least.

Quote:
He doesn't have any pass rushing moves. Best case for him if he can't cut it at safety is to become a Thomas Davis in a 4-3 defense.
and agreed, he is 230 which is extremely undersized. Plus on top of his size is the mere fact that he wasn't that great at playing up in the box....I doubt that will improve by going against much better competition.

Last edited by RyanBraun8 : 03-02-2010 at 06:39 PM.
RyanBraun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tramon gets a 1st round tender. Blackmon a 4th. Montgomery asks for release.

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/include...0&post_id=1534

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Jim Jim
Veteran

Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.

I think Tramon is a decent nickle, but that's about it.

I also think TJ Lang could probably play most of the positions along the offensive line. He's such a talented guy.
Jim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:49 PM    (permalink
roidrunner
Pro Bowler

roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBraun8 View Post
Agreed LG would be the idea spot for Lang but I think he will be fine at RT. Much better than trying to make him a LT at least.

and agreed, he is 230 which is extremely undersized. Plus on top of his size is the mere fact that he wasn't that great at playing up in the box....I doubt that will improve by going against much better competition.
well you can teach him pass rushing skills. Thats why we have coaches, but i agree that he is a little undersized. But lets just say that he gains 10-20 pounds. Would that make him more attractive?

I know that this is a weird topic, but it was just something that i was thinking about. With his speed it would make him very dangerous in the pass rush.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:32 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
well you can teach him pass rushing skills. Thats why we have coaches, but i agree that he is a little undersized. But lets just say that he gains 10-20 pounds. Would that make him more attractive?

I know that this is a weird topic, but it was just something that i was thinking about. With his speed it would make him very dangerous in the pass rush.
If you could just teach pass rushing skills then anyone could be a pass rusher. You still need to be able to use your hands and generate leverage. All of which Mays has never done as a safety.

I still really don't see why everyone is so eager to replace Brad Jones. He was pretty impressive for a 7th round rookie and I'd be excited about this:

Quote:
Bulking up: Linebacker Brad Jones weighed about 239 pounds during a rookie season in which he played 343 plays from scrimmage and 175 more on special teams.

Jones has been one of several Packers working out in Arizona in what McCarthy referred to as a “pre-off-season program.” The Packers’ off-season program starts March 15 in Green Bay.

“He definitely has to put on more weight,” McCarthy said. “He’s doing a four- or five-week cycle out there.

We’re hoping he can put on 10 pounds of lean muscle mass. I think he will accomplish that this year.”
Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 PM    (permalink
roidrunner
Pro Bowler

I like brad jones, its just that he does not jump off the screen when you watch him. i guess what i am trying to say is he is not a big time play maker which is what i personally want from an OLB in a 3-4 system. we have one in Matthew's but two would be better.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like brad jones, its just that he does not jump off the screen when you watch him. i guess what i am trying to say is he is not a big time play maker which is what i personally want from an OLB in a 3-4 system. we have one in Matthew's but two would be better.
Neither did James Harrison when he first came into the league. I think if the team is patient with this kid he could develop into a solid contributer and we shouldn't be so eager to replace him yet. He showed flashes last year.

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:49 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not a HUGE Brad Jones guy, but he did have 4 sacks in 6 starts as a rookie. While he did have some issues that's not exactly chump play from a rookie.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:05 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need to give Jones another year before we invest a high draft choice at the position.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Jeremy Kapinos is the only restricted free agent not tendered an offer.

Oh and apparently he's not too happy about it:

Quote:
"I assume somebody needs to be held accountable or sacrificed for the net and [inside-the-20] production," Kapinos told Tom Pelissero of the Green Bay Press-Gazette via text message. "While I do admit I needed to improve and I was at fault for some of it, I won't agree with anyone I was the lone liability. I think it's very irresponsible to place the blame on one person. [Special teams] won't improve if that's the philosophy, I would hope there is a sense of accountability across the board. . . .

"[I just] think somebody needed to go down," Kapinos said. "I believe I can and will improve, already taken steps, lost 15 [pounds] and have been doing my drills. NFL is a journey and I look forward to the next step, I believe I'll get another chance this year."

Last edited by cvv84 : 03-03-2010 at 06:49 PM.
cvv84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 PM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
We need to give Jones another year before we invest a high draft choice at the position.
No we don't.... we have NO depth at OLB at all. It arguably has the least amount of depth on our roster. You can't put all you stock in Jones. Well worth taking one in the early rounds

Last edited by RyanBraun8 : 03-03-2010 at 07:51 PM.
RyanBraun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jeremy Kapinos is the only restricted free agent not tendered an offer.

Oh and apparently he's not too happy about it:
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? We blamed him for being a terrible punter, and I doubt TT is dumb enough to blame him for the special teams unit mistakes.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:30 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
Right, he's very raw.
This is why I'd like to see a veteran, experienced 34 OLB brought in, for the short time, because this team is good enough to win a Super Bowl now, if it improves the pass defense. I agree Jones might become a good one, and I like the kid a lot, but he was always singled by the weaker right tackle, and was absolutely MIA against Arizona.

I don't know who can give us more punch there.
Maybe it's Kampman, or Joey Porter, Adalius Thomas, Mike Vrabel, but we don't need a 22-year old still learning the position.

Carlos Rogers, Dunta Robinson, Leigh Bodden, Deshea Townsend might be able to help in the coverage. All are FA's and not their teams' top priorities to keep. Rogers at this point in time reminds me of Woodson in 2006. Both great talents, top-ten picks, who had struggled and been banged up, wanted a change of scenery.

It worked for Woodson. Getting Rogers could be like us getting a similiarly aged Al Harris. Or remember the last former top 12 pick we got from Washington? (Hint, he won us a Super Bowl as the games MVP)....
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote