Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2007, 04:48 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston
So Kurt. Fired?
Are you asking if he should be fired?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
Quote:
So Kurt. Fired?
Are you asking if he should be fired?
Yes.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:17 PM    (permalink
SterlingSharpe

70challenger,

just gotta get another prop out to you for your avatar.
it's always a lovely sight to see.

our WHOLE off-season plan hinges on Favre.
if he's done, no way Tony Gonzalez would want to come here unless we really overpay him, maybe.

if favre vetoes his wife, and comes back:

sign TE gonzalez
sign CB asante samuel

draft WR sidney rice, south carolina (like me and robert brooks)
draft S brandon meriweather, miami
draft RB kenny irons, auburn or gary russell, min
draft QB kevin kolb, houston, or jordan palmer, UTEP

why a CB?
well a few things, first i love will blackmon but who knows if he can stay healthy and who knows how he will do. asante is senastional, another pick yesterday. NE always lets their FA's leave. plus Harris is old, and woodson getting older. charles is fragile too. you can't have too many good & great DBs in todays NFL. plus woodson can switch to safety soon.

meriweather is a 1st-round talent at S who slips because of character concerns. he and nick collins would form a sensational safety duo right away, for years to come.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:36 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingSharpe
70challenger,

just gotta get another prop out to you for your avatar.
it's always a lovely sight to see.

our WHOLE off-season plan hinges on Favre.
if he's done, no way Tony Gonzalez would want to come here unless we really overpay him, maybe.

if favre vetoes his wife, and comes back:

sign TE gonzalez
sign CB asante samuel

why a CB?
well a few things, first i love will blackmon but who knows if he can stay healthy and who knows how he will do. asante is senastional, another pick yesterday. NE always lets their FA's leave. plus Harris is old, and woodson getting older. charles is fragile too. you can't have too many good & great DBs in todays NFL. plus woodson can switch to safety soon.

meriweather is a 1st-round talent at S who slips because of character concerns. he and nick collins would form a sensational safety duo right away, for years to come.
I love the idea of drafting Kevin Kolb, he really impresses me. But i don't think sidney rice is comming out this year, is he?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:36 PM    (permalink
70challenger457

How much longer does Al Harris have left on his contract? If he has a year left then I'd say sing Samuel, but other wise thats too much money to have one of them not starting
Old 01-01-2007, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Empire
Rookie

Empire hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

sign TE gonzalez
sign CB asante samuel

Again I ask you why Samuel would come to GB where he would not be starting. Don't try to tell me that we can switch Woodson to Safety because that is the exact reason why he rejected other teams.

Also Rice is going back to school and Merriweather is not a Packer person and will never get drafted by TT.
Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:59 PM    (permalink
70challenger457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire
Quote:

sign TE gonzalez
sign CB asante samuel

Again I ask you why Samuel would come to GB where he would not be starting. Don't try to tell me that we can switch Woodson to Safety because that is the exact reason why he rejected other teams.

Also Rice is going back to school and Merriweather is not a Packer person and will never get drafted by TT.
QFT
Old 01-01-2007, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
"Our goal is to be the best defense," Pickett said. "We were already talking about it on the plane on the way home after the Chicago game. It brings excitement to the off-season because we do have the potential to be one of the best defenses in the league, and that's our goal next year -- to be No. 1."

Hitman D

Old 01-01-2007, 06:08 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12
Here are my thoughts about how we'll look next year.

We were one team away from the playoffs with plenty of winable games that we just didn't pull off. Hopefully Fave and TT see that. 2 weeks ago I was more certain than the past 2 years that he would be back now I'm seriously thinking that was it. Saying he comes back we have a great chance for playoffs and maybe even do something when we are there. TT did a good job with Woodson last year but he needs to go bigger this year. I believe we have close to $30 million in cap space assuming Favre's back. So let's start on offense. TE - I think we're all agreed that Franks isn't cutting it anymore. I know that a lot of you were against going after Gonzalez but I think it would be a good signing. He is still a top five TE and would be a good receiving target. Then WR - Driver and Jennings are obviously 1 and 2 then I think Martin has improved and showed some progress and could be a decent #3. Now going after a guy like Drew Bennet wouldn't be a bad idea but I think with the addition of Gonzalez it lessens the need and we pass on him. This could go either way but I'll say Ferguson's back. Next we got RB - Since Turner is a RFA we don't go after him since he isn't worth a first round pick. Lynch is the pick in round one and we get our back of the future. Green is resigned for the chance that Lynch is gone. Lynch gets most of the time while working Green and Morency in there. Green is signed only to a one year deal and gone after the season. QB- I am assuming that Favre is back for the purpose of this so we are fine here. OL- I believe we have nothing to upgrade here. our interior is young and learning fast and playing well and our Tackles are fine for now. Clifton may be declining but he should certainly be fine for next year and Moll has shown that he is capable of starting when needed.

Now for Defense. DE - While a lot of people are wanting improvement to the position, I don't think we do. There is no FA that will be available to us that is an upgrade and there isn't a first round DE I like either. Maybe addressed in rounds 2-5 but I'm only giving names for FAs and the 1st round as I'm not doing a mock draft. It'll stay with Kampman on one side and Jenkins on the other with KGB on pass downs. DT - I wouldn't be totally opposed to getting a top DT in the draft but we have more pressing needs. Branch will be gone but Okoye intrests me. In the end we stay with Pickett and Corey Williams and the young rotation that we have there. LB - Hawk and Barnett are solid and young no need to change them. Poppinga I think would be fine to start again next year but why not add someone to improve? No, not Briggs I'm talking about Adalius Thomas. It's a lot of money tied up at LB but we'd easily have the best in the league and it would help the DE as they would have 3 great tacklers behind them. CB- Woodson and Harris are the oldest on our defense but are still only 30 and 32 and playing at a probowl level. That means no upgrade this offseason. Behind them is question about but I think we'll be fine. Dendy has played well at nickle and is certainly better than Carrol. I don't think he's the long term answer but he'll be fine. Blackmon has been hurt all season but if he can stay healthy he could even challenge for the Nickleback spot. another will probably be picked up in rounds 3-6 for depth. S - Nick Collins had a bit of a down year compared to last year but he is still a good starter and should improve. Manuel has blown coverages and at times has trouble wrapping up, but is not as bad as we make him out to be and has improved from the beging of the season. We have good young depth behind them with Culver and Underwood. Culver has got some time this season and hasn't made any big mistakes while in. Underwood has been injured but he was challenging to start and I expect he could do so again. I wanted to go S in the first round but went with a RB. We could go after Hamlin but not too strongly as he will get more than he's worth. Underwood or Manuel will be the guy.

Special Teams. K-Rayner stuggled at Chicago but other than that has been good. The hasn't been a time were I wished we still had Longwell. P -Like Rayner, Ryan has a leg. I prefer seeing his long line drives than BJ's floaters that went 20 yards. Once again no need to upgrade. KR/PR - Assuming Blackmon comes back he would probably take over these duties. Morency is alright on KRs but Woodson scares me on PRs. I would hate to see him go down for the season on a return considering his injury history. Drafting a guy wouldn/t be out of the question but after the Corey Rodgers thing this year I think we bank on the fact that Blackmon will do it and if not stick with Morency/Woodson.

So our roster would be

QB-Favre/Rodgers/Martin
RB-Lynch/Morency/Green
WR-Driver/Jennings/Martin/(Ferguson, Holidaye, Francies, drafted wr from round 2-5)
TE-Gonzalez/Franks/Lee
T-Clifton/Moll
G-Colledge
C-Wells
G-Spitz
T-Tauscher
with Moll to fill in when needed

DE-Jenkins/KGB
DT-Pickett
DT-Williams and rest of rotation
DE-Kampman
LB-Thomas
LB-Barnett
LB- Hawk
CB-Harris/Dendy
CB-Woodson/Blackmon
S-Collins/Culver
S-Underwood/Manuel

K-Rayner
P-Ryan
KR-Blackmon/Morency
PR-Blackmon/Woodson

That is definately a playoff team in the NFC and could even contend.
Good write up, I agree with most of the things that you say but I would like the Packers too add someone anywhere in the secondary be at S or backup CB.

I can't see Underwood starting over Manuel if it turns out this way next year. If Underwood was close to as good as Manuel I would think he would have seen a lot more playing time this year.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:08 PM    (permalink
70challenger457

Quote:
Quote:
"Our goal is to be the best defense," Pickett said. "We were already talking about it on the plane on the way home after the Chicago game. It brings excitement to the off-season because we do have the potential to be one of the best defenses in the league, and that's our goal next year -- to be No. 1."
They looked damn good last night but without a guy like Jim Bated I don't think they will be #1
Old 01-01-2007, 06:14 PM    (permalink
SterlingSharpe

Empire,

I'll make a side wager with you on Sidney Rice going back to school to get his degree. He can get that after his NFL career. Why wait to get paid?

You're probably right on Samuel. We have the best 1-2 combo at CB already although they both are 30-somethings.

Meriweather not a "Packer person"? That's romantic and all, but hogwash.

He'd look great in Green & Gold. I know Marvin Lewis wants him in Cinci but he's too good to go there.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
70challenger457

Anybody notice how theres only been one post of a bears fan since we won, I mean if they would have won, 51 would be posting on how much of a crappy team we are and how Poppinga wouldn't even make the bears if he tried this and that man that win was awsome
Old 01-01-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
nextyear5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70challenger457
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
collins played like the stud we need him to every week.
tottaly, he was awsome, what a hit by Manuel, I was tanked at the time so I was jumpin all over the place
Hey, it's my first post here, lifetime Packers fan.

I agree that Collins did play like a stud last nite. The one play that got to me was the one where Manuel and I think it was Dendy both let a Bears WR go untouched on the Bears' TD. I don't think Manuel will be cut but I think he should be or at least have us bring in someone else. A mid-round guy I like is Brandon Meriweather from the U. I know he had some issues this year but he hits like a ton of bricks.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:27 PM    (permalink
70challenger457

theres no chance that TT will ever draft Merriwether, mark my words
Old 01-01-2007, 06:30 PM    (permalink
nextyear5

Quote:
Why not? Not tryin to be arrogant just wonderin
Old 01-01-2007, 06:35 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javon favre

Good write up, I agree with most of the things that you say but I would like the Packers too add someone anywhere in the secondary be at S or backup CB.

I can't see Underwood starting over Manuel if it turns out this way next year. If Underwood was close to as good as Manuel I would think he would have seen a lot more playing time this year.
I had is taking Landry/Nelson in the first and signing Turner iin my original. After learning that he was a RFA I changed the pick to Lynch. I think a round 2 pick at DB is very likely but I didn't want to do a whole mock then. Hamlin is the only guy in FA really so I think a mid round pick is how we add someone. As for Underwood not getting time, he was on IR after getting hurt in preseason. I think he could challenge for the spot, I just put him over Manual on the chart but it could go either way and Manuel probably has the better chance.

Oh, I took Brent Barry in the NBA mock. A lot of the guys I wanted were gone so I took a guy that can shoot the three.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:40 PM    (permalink
70challenger457

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextyear5
Quote:
he has said it and acted upon it, he does not want thugs or gangsters. He wants team players, Javon, Carrol... and you look at the guys hes drafted. He will never draft Merriwether
Old 01-01-2007, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
He's just not a Thompson guy. He's looking for "packer people" and Merriweather just doesn't fit that bill. Granted, i still wouldn't be surprised if we ended up drafting him.

Hitman D

Old 01-01-2007, 06:42 PM    (permalink
nextyear5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
He's just not a Thompson guy. He's looking for "packer people" and Merriweather just doesn't fit that bill. Granted, i still wouldn't be surprised if we ended up drafting him.
So do you guys see Manuel stickin around another year or Underwood or a draft pick? I can't see signing a "starting" safety in two straight years. I think it'll be a draft pick, Meriweather or not.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...stGamecopy.jpg < if you use that as a wallpaper make sure you put the postion: center and colour: black enjoy. :)
what do you guys think?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:45 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So do you guys see Manuel stickin around another year or Underwood or a draft pick? I can't see signing a "starting" safety in two straight years. I think it'll be a draft pick, Meriweather or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12
S - Nick Collins had a bit of a down year compared to last year but he is still a good starter and should improve. Manuel has blown coverages and at times has trouble wrapping up, but is not as bad as we make him out to be and has improved from the beging of the season. We have good young depth behind them with Culver and Underwood. Culver has got some time this season and hasn't made any big mistakes while in. Underwood has been injured but he was challenging to start and I expect he could do so again. I wanted to go S in the first round but went with a RB. We could go after Hamlin but not too strongly as he will get more than he's worth. Underwood or Manuel will be the guy.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So is Robinson a packer person? sometimes you need players with an attuide to pump up the team.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

If he's there in the third I'd take him but not before then. He';; most likely be gone though.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:03 PM    (permalink
70challenger457

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So is Robinson a packer person? sometimes you need players with an attuide to pump up the team.
no, just look at the patriots, the only ones there that are "thugs" are dillion and Harrison both of which arn't anymore
Old 01-01-2007, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Empire
Rookie

Empire hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Robinson isn't considered a thug like Merriweather. And quite honestly it doesn't matter what you think, TT won't be drafting Merriweather.
Empire is offline   Reply With Quote