Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 23 48.94%
I love it 32 68.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2010, 12:37 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think more of our guys were claimed than any other team. It looks like it.
And 4 teams put a claim in on Kregg Lumpkin.

Most of the cuts I am fine with, but Spencer Havner defies logic and wisdom. I don't think he's regressed from what we saw him do last year, in real games, as a first-year, raw tight end. I could go on all day about that one move in particular, but won't.

And I don't see what the solution has been to our putrid special teams. I hear lip service all the time, but so far we haven't seen it ever on the field.

Again, I judge the product by the on-field work, and the CBs and STs have yet to show competence. I hope I'm wrong about those areas because to go to a Super Bowl, they have to be better.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:41 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
How can he not understand that? There's a reason those players were cut. Good teams don't pick up other teams' garbage.
That's not really how it works out; some players just don't fit a team's scheme or fit in with the chemistry or deal with injuries and don't get a fair shake. We have a glaring need at CB and it's a fact that some of the CBs that got cut are better than our CBs beyond Williams and there were definitely better punt and kick returners cut, so it's definitely hard to understand not going after ANYONE and just saying "nah dude, I know you guys think you saw us dropping punts and stuff but you don't know what you're talking about, we're awesome at special teams." Which, sadly, isn't far off what TT said.

And TT claimed the team didn't even put in a claim, so regardless of the order we didn't even try.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:36 AM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure why Chery didn't make the practice squad. Yeah, he had some problems with the ball, but he also showed as the best returner since Rossum, which incidentally is the last time the Packers had a kickoff return for a TD.

Three UDFA surprising, along with Crabtree and the punter make five undrafted players. Glad to see Crabtree stick as he reportedly is the hardest working TE, but Havner had more versatility and could have been that swing ninth LB.

Lumpkin didn't look like anything more than just another LB, and with Kuhn as the #3 HB as well as his Teams and FB capacity, I like the RB group. Those FBs and TEs should also help on special teams units, particularly when against a team with one FB and two TEs you'd think.

I would have rather kept Toribio over Harrell, but Harrell is the DE and not NY like Toribio. Harrell also looked like just a guy, but I did see him actually make a play in pre-season.

I was also glad to see Breno on the PS and not headed off to the Vikes.

All-in-all, the roster looks pretty solid, though if TT would trade for a real CB it'd look a lot better.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:00 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
That's not really how it works out; some players just don't fit a team's scheme or fit in with the chemistry or deal with injuries and don't get a fair shake.
Yes there are a few cases like that, but for the most part it's trash. There's no one that was cut that I was really interested in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johbur View Post
I'm not sure why Chery didn't make the practice squad. Yeah, he had some problems with the ball, but he also showed as the best returner since Rossum, which incidentally is the last time the Packers had a kickoff return for a TD.
No he wasn't. Hell, Will Blackmon was a better returner. Chery had that one good return that went for a touchdown. Other than that he showed nothing. There's no reason to keep him on the practice squad. If he was a good enough returner he would have made the team, but he wasn't and keeping him on the practice squad doesn't do us any good. Once you get to the NFL level it's pretty much you can return or you can't. Jason Chery doesn't have it so he was cut.

Also it wasn't a kickoff return it was a punt return that went for the touchdown, which Will Blackmon has done three times - in the regular season.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:37 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yup. Remember how bad Derrick Martin was last year when he was brought to the team after training camp? Dude played in the 3-4 in Baltimore but he still had to learn stuff on the fly in GB. It was brutal seeing him blowing assignments vs the Vikes that first matchup, etc. While the CB depth is just meh, those guys have been with the team all camp, and that counts for something. Communication between everybody should be in sync and the amount of blown assignments should be reduced considering that.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:47 AM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Runningback James Johnson is the eighth guy signed to Green Bay's practice squad.

http://www.nfl.com/players/jamesjohn...s?id=JOH321946

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:30 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Thompson sees no holes anywhere on roster. Stays put with roster at all positions.

Greg_A_Bedard:
While not surprising, I don't understand how the Packers couldn't find one player worth claiming across the league. Not a one? [via Twitter]

jasonjwilde: That was the most contentious press conference I've ever seen from Ted Thompson. [via Twitter]
Those reporters are just ticked Ted didn't take they crappy questions in the press conference today.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:21 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently Tramon and Greg jennings are going to handle PR duties with Jordy and Jackson on KR

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Apparently Tramon and Greg jennings are going to handle PR duties with Jordy and Jackson on KR
Fantastic. Two of our most important players returning punts. That sounds like a good idea. Just make freaking Nelson do it. He might never get a long return but he'll never screw it up and if he gets injured, well, who cares? (Note: I'm in no way suggesting Tramon is one of our BEST players, simply that if he were to get injured our already shabby CB group would go to hell.)

Old 09-06-2010, 02:56 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
Fantastic. Two of our most important players returning punts. That sounds like a good idea. Just make freaking Nelson do it. He might never get a long return but he'll never screw it up and if he gets injured, well, who cares? (Note: I'm in no way suggesting Tramon is one of our BEST players, simply that if he were to get injured our already shabby CB group would go to hell.)

Shabby CB group?
Shallow? Yes. Shabby? Not at all.

they get smoked.

Last edited by TitleTown088 : 09-06-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:30 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While I am surprised Havner was cut its not the end of the world. Apparently the coaches like the potential in Crabtree and Quarless more which I can see. Lee's a better blocker and used to be able to catch but he wont need to much anyways. Sure he was versatile and could play LB in a pinch but really thats why we have backups who spend all day playing there. If we needed Havner to play LB because we were that thin... were in trouble. I actually dont hate Nelson at KR he isnt spectacular but he does a pretty good job I thought. Tramon is a good PR but its scary because we really cant afford to lose him. I really wish we would have added CB depth along time ago and adding some now wouldn't do much because they have alot of learning to do.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Shabby CB group?
Shallow? Yes. Shabby? Not at all.
Sorry, I was referring to the CBs after Tramon being shabby (as in if he were to get injured returning punts, one of those shabby backup CBs would become a starter/nickel.) I just worded it oddly. Hah.

And I like Shields but he's just too raw at this point.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

On a different note, has anyone else been really pleased with Flynn this offseason? I feel like if Rodgers went down there'd be a possibility of us just barely making the playoffs with Flynn at the helm, which is very different than what I thought the last two years.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Mr.Regular
2008 NFL Mock Draft Champion
Veteran

Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im surprised we let go of Havner, but I suppose it makes sense.
Fins the obvious starter. If he goes down, the only other player Id be comfortable filling in as a permanent starter is Lee. Quarless showed a lot, he had to make the team.
So it came down to Havner or Crabtree. Crabtree probably wouldn't have been able to sneak onto the PS, and his blocking has been superb. Could develop into a great compliment with Finley/Quarless. Thatd be a sick future trio of TE's. Havner isn't really a long term guy.
We keep Havner, he'd probably stick around another season or two on the bottom of the depth chart, and after Lee leaves, we'd be left with no primary blocking TE, and have to burn another draft pick possibly. Crabtree could be that guy.

Mr.Regular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Don't forget:

In two games against Minnesota, one against Pittsburgh and the playoff loss to Arizona, quarterbacks Brett Favre, Ben Roethlisberger and Kurt Warner combined to throw 15 touchdown passes and 0 interceptions.

They completed 99 of 138 passes (71.7%) for 1,397 yards and combined for an average passer rating of 140.3. I think that's 349 yards per game.

Mileage like that is not a fluke.
Can Capers fix it, does he have enough cover ability on the roster to solve it?
The answer to this remains to be seen....

I was selling Sam Shields 3-4 weeks ago. Some of you weren't buying. Can we all buy him now as our nickelback for the first 6 weeks?
God I hope so....A big pass rush can make them all look good back there.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:29 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Count me as one who did NOT like the news of Tramon and Jennings possibly returning punts. Just what we need, 2 important players on the team fielding punts and being sitting ducks for a 3rd string LBer to take him out. Tramon would be good as a returner, but they can't afford to place him back there. The secondary is thin, and there is no telling how effective Harris will be when he returns

I really hope that doesn't end up being the case
Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
Count me as one who did NOT like the news of Tramon and Jennings possibly returning punts. Just what we need, 2 important players on the team fielding punts and being sitting ducks for a 3rd string LBer to take him out. Tramon would be good as a returner, but they can't afford to place him back there. The secondary is thin, and there is no telling how effective Harris will be when he returns

I really hope that doesn't end up being the case
Count me in there too. I don't like it. I remember being so worried for Woodson when he returned punts. That's a wickedly dangerous job, as Will Blackmon will remind us of.

Look, even Devin Hester was taken off the return unit when they decided to make him into a WR, which was good news for us. He's lethal as a PR/KR, not so much so as a WR. But that decision alone tells you how dangerous they view the PR & KR position with regards to health.

I want a Dante Hall or Desmond Howard back there: a guy good at returning period. If we can carry just a long snapper who does nothing else, why not a KR/PR specialist? Do we really need 7 TE's & FB's?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

CBS Sports' Pat Kirwin's look at the NFC North 2010
Old 09-07-2010, 12:15 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

http://packersinsider.com/2010/09/pa...clifton-smith/

Packers solidify Return game?
Pro Bowler added?

Here are some reactions from Bucs nation on their move to release Smith on Sunday:

Quote:
Hate to see Peanut go. Yes they have other returners, but they aren't as good. (unless Peanut is too injured) I actually prefer the returner be just a returner. Focusing too much time on another position usually dampens their return skills.

Look at Devin Hester. Was the best/ most dynamic return man in the game. Now he is just a very mediocre receiver and returner. 11 kick returns for touchdowns in 2006/07 and zero the last two years.
Quote:
his is a MISTAKE! Where is the stinkin' loyalty to any player on this team? You don't cut a Pro Bowl caliber guy just because he had a slow start in preseason. Yet another big foul up from a too young and inexperienced "Jr. GM". From the stupid re-signing last year of Clayton when other teams wanted him in free agency to the unceremonious dismissal of one of the greatest LB's to ever play the game in Derrick Brooks. Now we lose a fan favorite, special teams depth and a PROVEN dynamic punt/kick return in "Peanut"!
Quote:
There had to be some sort of trade option in there somewhere for a former Pro Bowl Returner.
Quote:
I wish the Bucs could have retained Smith. I still tink Preston Parker could've easily been snuck onto the practice squad and I'm sure Smith is far more explosive as a return man.
Quote:
They risked this possibility when they subjected Smith, the smallest player on the team, to running up the middle behind a confused screen-door OLine last year. Looks like the Bucs have decided to shun ValRita's advice and supplement their roster with "cast-offs" from other teams.
Umm... our Kregg Lumpkin is one guy they signed.

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 09-07-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:49 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

hopefully he sticks, and does well. Get Tramon/Jennings names out of the conversation for returns, period
Old 09-07-2010, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
hopefully he sticks, and does well. Get Tramon/Jennings names out of the conversation for returns, period
Wait, we actually brought in a player to fill a void? ....Holy ****.

Also, that NFC North preview was one of the dumbest things I've ever watched. They said we had the same tackles as when we played the Vikings last year or that we might have a rookie starting. Huh???

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 09-07-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:38 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the move, but hopefully it doesn't cost us a fullback (Quinn). McDonald is probably the most expendable guy on the roster right now.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:01 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

It isn't a done deal. He was worked out by the Packers today, and apparently had a visit with the Dolphins to. Packers also worked out Jags former S Gerald Alexander, who was actually a starter for them last year

http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.co...players-today/

Smith is a real good returner, his only issue is injuries, however. Anyway, with the latest tweets he has made, it seems like he may be heading to Miami

https://twitter.com/CliftonSmith22
Old 09-07-2010, 06:08 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

No deal was made, he is visiting Miami as well I think.

they get smoked.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:20 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

GB Press-Gazette writer Rob Demovsky says he doesn't expect the Pack to sign Smith. Guess Smith suffered 2 concussions last season(2nd one ending his season) and that is what has scared them off