Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 23 48.94%
I love it 32 68.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2010, 07:41 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Al Harris
Mark Tauscher
Ryan Grant
Justin Harrell
Johnny Jolly
Brady Poppinga
Morgan Burnett
Nick Barnett
Atari Bigby
Jermichael Finley
Brad Jones
Derrick Martin
Mike Neal

All the guys on IR or who have been hurt all season, and yet the Packers are sitting at 6-3, one game back in the NFC for best record. Really gotta give credit to the coaching staff for getting all the guys on the same page, and props to Thompson for building a team that is apparently so deep that they are able to withstand this insane amount of injuries and still be competitive. Hell, they look like last year where they are seemingly getting stronger as the season goes on

I will say this....the 2 injuries that probably hurt the most are Finley/Neal. Really wish they weren't 2 of the casualties this season
Old 11-12-2010, 08:03 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
...I will say this....the 2 injuries that probably hurt the most are Finley/Neal. Really wish they weren't 2 of the casualties this season
I love Neal, but I feel our DL has played great these past 2 weeks with no Neal. In fact, Neal really only played like 2 games right?

Finley & Grant are the ones that hurt us the most, by far, IMO.

Unreal about Tauscher. There was never a single play where he hurt his shoulder was there? Was he playing hurt against Peppers? I think he was, which sucks.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Al Harris

All the guys on IR or who have been hurt all season, and yet the Packers are sitting at 6-3, one game back in the NFC for best record. Really gotta give credit to the coaching staff for getting all the guys on the same page, and props to Thompson for building a team that is apparently so deep that they are able to withstand this insane amount of injuries and still be competitive. Hell, they look like last year where they are seemingly getting stronger as the season goes on

I will say this....the 2 injuries that probably hurt the most are Finley/Neal. Really wish they weren't 2 of the casualties this season
Finley, sure, but Neal? Really? He'd be very near the bottom of my list of most disastrous. In order from worst to least radical I'd go..

Finley
Grant
Jolly
Jones
Barnett
Burnett
Tauscher
Poppinga
Neal
Bigby
Martin
Harrell
Harris

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:37 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Neal was very disruptive his first 2 games and the games are won in the trenches. I think he would have made this already good pass rush even better

Jolly is a guy they miss to for sure. He was really emerging as a premiere 3-4 DE. I hope they bring him back but with the off field issue he had I don't know if the Pack will want him back
Old 11-12-2010, 10:41 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Neal was very disruptive his first 2 games and the games are won in the trenches. I think he would have made this already good pass rush even better

Jolly is a guy they miss to for sure. He was really emerging as a premiere 3-4 DE. I hope they bring him back but with the off field issue he had I don't know if the Pack will want him back
I suppose. I just feel like Neal was a bit of an unknown commodity and it's hard to figure he was more crucial then established players for our team and system. That said, wow, writing that list really put a whole new perspective on just how bad our injury problems have been.. and it doesn't even account for all that normal, nagging injuries we've got going on. Unreal.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:47 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Grant should be at the top at it's not even close.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:25 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Grant should be at the top at it's not even close.
I gotta somewhat disagree, the loss of Finley was every bit as tough as Grant.Jackson has played pretty well, what TE has stepped up with Finley out?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:34 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
I gotta somewhat disagree, the loss of Finley was every bit as tough as Grant.Jackson has played pretty well, what TE has stepped up with Finley out?
Not a tight end, but Greg Jennings has stepped up big time since Finley's been out. There's a bigger difference in our running game without Grant than our passing game without Finley.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:59 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Right, there's no way Mike Neal is above either of those guys. I love Mike, but our 1000-pound DL is fine without him. Anyone see the last 2 games on defense for us?

But Finley is as lethal of a TE in the NFL, Antonio Gates included. You can't replace a guy like that, and we haven't.

But once again, Ryan Grant keeps getting disrespected. He was so underrated for us, under-appreciated by much of Packers nation, because he wasn't a big name, or electrifying like a Chris Johnson. Hell, even heading into last season, there were Packers fans who wanted a guy like Steve Slaton instead.

That guy's gone AWOL.

Even a so-called gamebreaker like Felix Jones hasn't done anything in his career, and Grant has broken deep ones as much as Felix.

Grant is sorely missed, and I just hope that foot/ankle is something that heals 100%.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Not a tight end, but Greg Jennings has stepped up big time since Finley's been out. There's a bigger difference in our running game without Grant than our passing game without Finley.
I'm not sure I'd necessarily agree here. Our passing game has really taken a few steps back without Finley. You need to remember he was consistently drawing double teams and still making catches.

I think it's more = with those two. Grant going down we probably lost 20-35 rushing yards per game, Finley going down we probably like 30-40 passing which ends up pretty equal when you skew the numbers. Both losses drastically changed our offense. None of the other losses changed the entire way we played football on that side of the ball.

Kind of a moot point.

Second half area that needs most improvement is turnovers, imo. Jones scares me everytime he has the ball, Shields scares me catching things, and Rodgers is a bit high on INTs. Second would be 3rd downs, of which we've been absolutely horrendous this year.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:59 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem with Finley was that for the first couple games Rodgers would throw it his way pretty much every play no matter what. It led to some interceptions and incompletions. Jennings and the other receivers even spoke out and said they weren't happy about it. There's no doubt our offense would be on another level if Finley was healthy, but there was a little shred of positive that came out of it.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:11 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
I'm not sure I'd necessarily agree here. Our passing game has really taken a few steps back without Finley. You need to remember he was consistently drawing double teams and still making catches.

I think it's more = with those two. Grant going down we probably lost 20-35 rushing yards per game, Finley going down we probably like 30-40 passing which ends up pretty equal when you skew the numbers. Both losses drastically changed our offense. None of the other losses changed the entire way we played football on that side of the ball.
I concur. Well said.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:20 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
The problem with Finley was that for the first couple games Rodgers would throw it his way pretty much every play no matter what. It led to some interceptions and incompletions. Jennings and the other receivers even spoke out and said they weren't happy about it. There's no doubt our offense would be on another level if Finley was healthy, but there was a little shred of positive that came out of it.
Exactly. I actually wrote something very similar to that, but then erased it. Our offense was running through Finley too much when he was healthy. Would have been nice to figure it out without him getting hurt though.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:24 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Exactly. I actually wrote something very similar to that, but then erased it. Our offense was running through Finley too much when he was healthy. Would have been nice to figure it out without him getting hurt though.
ha I do that all the time. That's something I've been meaning to get off my chest lately. I'd say like 50% of the posts I write, I read them and don't completely agree with what I wrote, or decide it's somewhat spiteful and won't do anyone good to read it, or decide it's something everyone knows and has said before anyway...and just erase it.

Sorry for the total tangent but I always wondered if other people do the same thing. I hope so.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 11-13-2010, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
ha I do that all the time. That's something I've been meaning to get off my chest lately. I'd say like 50% of the posts I write, I read them and don't completely agree with what I wrote, or decide it's somewhat spiteful and won't do anyone good to read it, or decide it's something everyone knows and has said before anyway...and just erase it.

Sorry for the total tangent but I always wondered if other people do the same thing. I hope so.
I do that all the time.. except I stop, read it, decide I sound like a dick and then hit "submit reply." :p

As for going through Finley, well, Rodgers was struggling and Finley was his big body with reliable hands. I simply can't get anywhere close to agreeing our offense, which has been downright awful on 3rd downs, wouldn't be lightyears better with big ol' Finley to catch on those downs.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:26 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Losing Grant was by far our biggest hit. You can survive losing Finley, its alot harder finding a guy who gets you 1200 yards on the ground and keeps the opposing defenses honest.

Quote:
Bingo. Finley is a great matchup weapon but we did focus on him too much. I'm glad to see Jennings taking off lately, considering the money that we paid him, but it sucks that it came at the expense of losing Finley. We need to get both guys involved more evenly in the future.

Last edited by cvv84 : 11-13-2010 at 09:28 PM.
cvv84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Something I've been wanting to bring up for a while.. is anyone else as excited as I am about the overall nucleus of this team? When you really break it down.. you're looking at five good years with the majority of the players we have now. Assuming three of five drafts go in our favor, we're talking long-term success for this team.

Rodgers, Grant, Finley, Jennings, Jones, Sitton, Bulaga are the standouts on offense who are all relatively young (Grant having the least life remaining but, let's face it, RBs can be found.)
Raji, Neal, Jenkins, Matthews, Williams, Shields, Collins, and all the rest of our safeties and LBers being the standouts on D who are all relatively young.

Considering we've been arguably the best drafting team of the last 4 years, this really bodes well for our future. You look at the other teams in our division who have major age concerns and/or overall talent concerns at various positions, and we're really in good shape. There's no reason to believe that with a bit of luck we can't get to a success level like we were at in the mid to late 90s.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Also, can we please.. PLEASE.. for the love of all that is holy.. draft Casey Matthews? 'twould.. be... AMAZING.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:52 AM    (permalink
RockJock07
Rookie

RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.

If you haven't read this yet please do, it's a fantastic interview with Aaron about alot of different things, it's a 2 part interview.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/107293243.html

Then.....

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/107300868.html

I'm so glad to have Aaron as the QB of the Packers, seems to have his head in the right place off the field.

Sidesider for life, Go White Sox
RockJock07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:28 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Yeah Lori Nickel got some good stuff there from Aaron.
He's a good guy, good person, good family.

I still remember having to defend him 3, 4 years ago against all the Farve-worshipers who tried to say that Rodgers was ***. Then when he took over, that he wasn't fragile......

He's answered every critic except pulling out games late like Matt Ryan has.
And except for winning a playoff game.
Those 2 will get checked off too, hopefully soon.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:32 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lame ass bye week. don't even care that the bears and queens are playing eachother because it means one of 'em have to win. doesn't help that out of the other teams that the packers will be fighting for playoff position with, the falcons already played, the saints are on a bye and the giants are....pretty much on a bye.

thank god for fantasy football.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:48 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

GO BEARS
Old 11-14-2010, 12:13 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

If the Bears win they'll take the division lead. As badly as I want Favre and the Vikings to suffer, it's more important to me that the Packers win the division. And while a Bears win here certainly wouldn't stop that, I'd like to win it as easily as possible.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:35 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

It's probably better for us if the Vikings win, but I want the Vikings to lose another game so they go away and die. It's really a hard game to get interested in though so I'm just drinking a bunch of beer killing time for the later games.

I'd like it if it was like that Bears Redskins games where both teams were just awful and probably turned the ball over 10+ times combined and Cutler got sacked about 8 times.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 11-14-2010, 02:07 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Want the bears to win. MAke it a 2 team race rather than 3. Eliminate one threat. Bears schedule is tough at the end to