Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2012, 12:29 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw the article and agree that it would be a big mistake to let Wells get away. As another article stated, Thompson likes to wait and let the market reveal itself before he gets into serious negotiations. With the number of centers set to hit free agency, Thompson probably feels he can get Wells at a bit of a discount.

This point was also brought up on twitter.
Quote:
I guess Scott Wells can scrap the plans to add onto his house here in GB to make room for the 3 kids he's adopting from Africa this summer.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:04 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
Assuming the writer has done his homework, this is a case where Thompson's stubbornness about re-signing players over 30 might get the best of him. If he doesn't sign Wells he'll have to sign someone. I just don't see a FA center as being an upgrade or....
Wells skill's are easier to find a replacement for than Jenkins' were.
Cullen was special. ProFootballFocus had documented how effective Jenkins was at pressuring QBs from the interior DL comparitively to the league.
Then of course we saw that, nobody on our roster was capable.

I want to keep Wells too, but I don't think he's going to get a gigantic long-term offer drom anyone else either. We'll see.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:07 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Wells is arguably the 2nd most important player on our offense so there's no way to easily replace him in comparison to anyone. He is the quarterback of the offensive line and his comfort with Rodgers is something that can not be overlooked.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:58 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Wells is arguably the 2nd most important player on our offense so there's no way to easily replace him in comparison to anyone. He is the quarterback of the offensive line and his comfort with Rodgers is something that can not be overlooked.
I defended Wells for 2-3 years when everyone was trying to dispose of him in favor of the larger Spitz. And he's backed me up.

That being said, he's smart, and solid. But he doesn't possess any skillset that is hard to find, compared to what Cullen offered on the DL.

I'd like to keep Wells, because we can't have leaks in the middle. But not if it ties up our salary cap. But I would not want to let him go and use a #1 pick on a replacement.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:14 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Cullen was special. ProFootballFocus had documented how effective Jenkins was at pressuring QBs from the interior DL comparitively to the league.
Then of course we saw that, nobody on our roster was capable.

I want to keep Wells too, but I don't think he's going to get a gigantic long-term offer drom anyone else either. We'll see.
At least in the Jenkins situation there was the Neal/Wilson/Wynn trio on the roster who were expected to fill that void. In retrospect that was an error but hard to fault Thompson for thinking those guys would step up. Too bad he couldn't foresee Neal's fluke accident with a tackling sled or Wynn and Wilson's collective regression. Not to mention he was actually right about Jenkins' market value.

There is no way he can objectively look at this roster and see a viable replacement plan for Wells. He'll either have to pay a FA that will most likely not be an upgrade over Wells or spend a reasonably high draft choice on the position and hope that guy makes a quick adjustment to the NFL.

Unfortunately, Thompson seems to have an uncanny sense for his guys market value which means Wells will have to play ball or he'll be playing somewhere else.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

If TT was right about Jenkins market value being lower than we fans and Cullen himself thought, then why didn't he keep him if it was so cheap?

Victor Cruz and James Jones had no market value either.

Market value doesn't determine how much contribution a player will make, or has made. Every single Packers defensive player will tell you to a man how important and how good Cullen was for us. You can't dismiss that.

I expect Wells stays with us, and I sure hope so.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88;2867944[B
]If TT was right about Jenkins market value being lower than we fans and Cullen himself thought, then why didn't he keep him if it was so cheap?[/b]

Victor Cruz and James Jones had no market value either.

Market value doesn't determine how much contribution a player will make, or has made. Every single Packers defensive player will tell you to a man how important and how good Cullen was for us. You can't dismiss that.

I expect Wells stays with us, and I sure hope so.
TT can only offer what he thinks is a reasonable amount based on what the market will bare. He can't force Cullen to take it. Cullen chased the payday instead of taking a cap-friendly deal to compete for another SB and ended up in the toilet that is Philadelphia. C'est la vie.

He was right about Jones too. We all thought teams would be clamoring for his services and we were wrong. TT ended up getting him back for a very reasonable number.

And I'm not saying it wouldn't have been nice to keep Cullen. I wanted them to at the time, but overall I agree with Thompson's philosophy. Green Bay is a small market and at some point he is going to have to extend Rodgers and Matthews. You can't afford to overpay guys that are role players (Jones) or who you believe you have the depth to replace (Jenkins). Wells is neither of those, he is a pretty critical piece IMO, so I question Thompson letting it get to this point. I hope something can be worked out but if as the article states Wells still harbors ill feelings bout being "replaced" by Spitz, I am worried.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 PM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finley signed to 2 year deal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...year-contract/
Old 02-22-2012, 08:34 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Flynn tag n' trade now?

Guy can dream...

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:00 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd have like to lock up Finley to a longer contract, but I'm very pleased this got done.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Flynn tag n' trade now?

Guy can dream...
I still don't see that happening...too much of a financial risk

maybe tag Wells if they're not comfortable with giving him a long term deal

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Someone will trade for Flynn

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:38 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Someone will trade for Flynn
Yeah as long as they don't set the price too high. Maybe a 1st next year or a 2nd along with some other picks. I'd say a 1st next year is best case. I'd be surprised if anyone gave up this years 1st for him. Especially considering the teams that will likely be interested are picking fairly high.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

Saw someone throw this out there somewhere (don't recall where) and found it unlikely but interesting.

What if Miami were to offer a 2nd and Cameron Wake?

If Miami is moving to the 4-3 I'm not sure he really fits in there anymore. He has been a productive OLB, but is 30 years old which might concern the Packers front office. He'd be an immediate upgrade at ROLB and with the additional pick they would still have ammunition to get a guy to groom for the future.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Saw someone throw this out there somewhere (don't recall where) and found it unlikely but interesting.

If Miami is moving to the 4-3 I'm not sure he really fits in there anymore. He has been a productive OLB, but is 30 years old which might concern the Packers front office. He'd be an immediate upgrade at ROLB and with the additional pick they would still have ammunition to get a guy to groom for the future.
I doubt it would be an "And" but I would gladly take Wake straight up.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:38 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

7.5 million for Finley? He's definitely not worth that! Why didnt we just tag him because im sure he had already said he would be wiling to accept it.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

Because now they can use the tag on someone else and the first year is only $5.75mil the number under the franchise tag was expected to be $5.5mil. In the second year it escalates to force either renegotiation or free agency. From Finely's side it really takes the franchise tag out of the picture. If the Packers decide after next season they don't think he deserves a long term contract they can release him prior to the roster bonus deadline and he is a UFA.

Quote:
The deal is officially two years for about $15 million, but according to Silverstein, it is more like a one-year deal worth $5.75 million with an option to add a more lucrative second season. The details: Finley will receive $5.75 million in 2012 and then be due a $4.45 million roster bonus soon after the 2013 free-agent market begins.

The Packers could decline the bonus, making Finley a free agent, or pick it up to keep him on their roster for 2013. In that case, Finley will receive $10.2 million in the first 13 months of the deal.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
7.5 million for Finley? He's definitely not worth that! Why didnt we just tag him because im sure he had already said he would be wiling to accept it.
100% disagree with you; he is most definitely worth it. 24/25 years old next season, opens the entire field for Arod, and will only get better. It was a perfect deal for both sides. Finley is happy because he wasn't tagged and the Packers can be happy knowing that a long term deal wont make Finley complacent.
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:46 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just dont like him lol. I know probably every Packer fan disagrees with me but i really wouldnt of cared if we traded him or let him go.

I trust TT to do the right thing though so i'll stick by him whatever he chooses to do.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 PM    (permalink
Pack_Attack_4
Rookie

Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
I just dont like him lol. I know probably every Packer fan disagrees with me but i really wouldnt of cared if we traded him or let him go.

I trust TT to do the right thing though so i'll stick by him whatever he chooses to do.
Man Finley is a freak, too quick for LBs and too big for DBs, if he could catch better he would get a 1000 yrds reciveing
Pack_Attack_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:56 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Do you know how much Cameron Wake would improve this defense?

I would trade Flynn for Wake in a heartbeat.
OR happily take Miami's 2nd, which is a high one.

You think we could get both?
No way in hell.

I seriously doubt we could come close to even getting Wake straight up. I'd throw in Hawk with Flynn to get Wake. But they'd have to send us a pick though.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

He'd improve it immensely, but even if Miami were willing to part with him there are some obstacles. He is 30 years old and he is scheduled to be a UFA in 2013.

Seems like after some more searching that Miami does intend to extend his contract and move him to DE. I just don't know how effective he'll be as a 4-3 DE at 250lbs. I know he did it in Canada, but the NFL is a whole different ballgame. It is a shame to see guys who are ideal rush linebackers get misused.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:02 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
He'd improve it immensely, but even if Miami were willing to part with him there are some obstacles. He is 30 years old and he is scheduled to be a UFA in 2013.

Seems like after some more searching that Miami does intend to extend his contract and move him to DE. I just don't know how effective he'll be as a 4-3 DE at 250lbs. I know he did it in Canada, but the NFL is a whole different ballgame. It is a shame to see guys who are ideal rush linebackers get misused.
That's a great point. It's a totally different position and skillset required. Jared Allen could not make it as a standup OLB and be great. Same with Aaron Kampman, Dwight Freeny, and I suspect Cameron Wake.
The reverse, IMO, is clearly true of OLBs like Matthews, DeMarcus Ware, Von Miller, and I believe Jerry Hughes. Guy has been miscast for 2 years.

When we get him, and he blows up, everyone will wonder how come he sucked for the Colts but is great for us. It's called being out of position in Indy.
Sadly, those bast*rds tanked the season so badly they now have blown up the whole coaching staff and are going to go to a 3-4 it appears, even though they have the perfect 4-3 bookends in Mathis & Freeney.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I still don't see that happening...too much of a financial risk
Everything is a risk in the NFL, from 1sat round picks like Justin Harrell, AJ Hawk, Charles Rogers, Jamarcus Russell, etc. to free agent additions like Charles Woodson, Ryan Pickett, Joe Johnson, ALbert Haynesworth, etc.

The Packers are in a golden, and very rare to be frank, position here with Matt Flynn. And the cool thing is that the guy who has been coaching him for 4 years behind the scenes just happens to have gone to Miami, where they need a QB. Like the coaches behind the scenes saw with Rodgers for 3 years, they knew what he had.
Same is true of Flynn for Philbin. That's a lot more known than any rookie they can get aside from maybe Andrew Luck.

While most have doubted this could happen, I believe there has been a "hoodwink" deal in place with Miami and Philbin all along.

I'd just rather get Cameron Wake than any draft pick, especially if they are moving to a 43 defense which will not be good for him. Imagine him and Clay for the next 3-4 years as bookend OLBs for us.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgaze...QB-Matt-Flynn?

Franchise tag looking like real possibility for backup QB Flynn
Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

Jason Cole of Yahoo reporting that the Packers are expected to cut Clifton, restructure Driver. Glad to hear they won't be cutting DD, though I'm not sure what the plan with Gurley is now. 6 WRs?

Freeing up this cap space opens up the tag/trade for Flynn.