Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brad Jones was our best ILB last season and he improved quite a bit. He should be on this team over AJ Hawk. Crabtree may not have been great, but he is a very good blocker and he had a knack for the big play last season. Walden again isn't a great player, but he was serviceable and was a player who managed to stay healthy.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Brad Jones was our best ILB last season and he improved quite a bit. He should be on this team over AJ Hawk. Crabtree may not have been great, but he is a very good blocker and he had a knack for the big play last season. Walden again isn't a great player, but he was serviceable and was a player who managed to stay healthy.
Crabtree was one of my favorite players... Don't ask me why I just loved that weird dude.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I understand team turnover and the parity caused by the salary cap but that doesn't explain all of our losses since 2010.

Collins was a freak accident that lost us a truly elite player who is only turning 30 this year. Doesn't that just hurt to think about? He was a top 3 safety still rounding into his prime. It hurts me to think about.

Jenkins was a mistake. We thought he was going to get a huge contract and clearly our front office misplayed it; the contract he signed with the Eagles was pretty modest for his talent. Think of it this way; we effectively chose to keep A.J. Hawk instead of Jenkins.... and we payed more to do it. Youch. Sure, Hawk had a decent year during our Super Bowl run, some would say the best year he's had with us, but he certainly wasn't more than above average.

Where would we have been in 2011 with that offense and Collins and Jenkins on D? Would the Giants have handled us in the playoffs? Not so easily, for sure. We wouldn't have given up a hail mary before half, not with Jenkins and Collins. It's a meaningless exercise to imagine that but fun nonetheless.

Now, I don't blame us for losses like Woodson or Driver or even Jennings. Woodson and Driver got old. That happens. We made the right moves there (if anything, keeping Driver too long.)

Jennings is a tougher one. Would our offense be better with him? Yup. Is he a true #1 WR? Sorry, but I don't really think so. In his prime I could debate it and at 29 with declining health, no way. I can remember quite a few negative plays with Jennings over the last few years and frankly, his game is predicated around quickness and we saw with Driver what happens when that fades. Would I have loved to have him back? Yes. But it's pretty telling when only one team in the league offered him over $6 mil a year and when that team offers 9 mil? Right move to say good bye. Cobb has the chance to be a more explosive Jennings and frankly, he would have suffered if we hadn't moved on.

Collins freak injury probably bugs me the most. I remember watching him play and he was so natural to the ball and had great recovery. Ie.. in the Super Bowl on his pick six, I remember watching the replay and feeling 100% confident had Big Ben gotten that ball deep Collins still would have picked it off.

Jenkins is a close second and even more frustrating because it was simply a screw up by our front office. Collins was a freak accident, we dropped the ball on Jenkins. Pay $5 mil a year to an elite player, guys. Come on.

But the past is the past, hopefully we strike gold in the draft this year. Rodgers has 6 or 7 more elite years, knock on wood, and I'd like to win 2 or 3 super bowls in that time frame!

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Jim Jim
Veteran

Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.

It IS a shame about Collins. The two guys drafted in the second round that year both had sad endings to their careers. I always thought Terrence Murphy would have developed into a solid player too.
Jim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:29 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jim View Post
It IS a shame about Collins. The two guys drafted in the second round that year both had sad endings to their careers. I always thought Terrence Murphy would have developed into a solid player too.
Murphy would have become a good-great one. You're right.
We've had bullschit bad luck with injuries.... it's almost like Farve's good health luck for all those years sucked the good luck from the whole franchise.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Packers OT Derek Sherrod is "still not out of the woods" in his recovery from the broken right tibia and fibula he sustained in December 2011.

Considering Marshall Newhouse is entering the final year of his contract, the left tackle position is a spot where TT has to look for help.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/sports...080000022.html

Jennings took out full page ads to thank the fans. Classy move...anybody want to take back your "he's dead to me" statements?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Resigned Brad Jones. Some rare good news!

I don't remember him being amazing last year but he graded out well according to a number of more knowledgable folks than I, so awesome.

Feel like the odds of us going MLB in the early draft are going down.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
Resigned Brad Jones. Some rare good news!

I don't remember him being amazing last year but he graded out well according to a number of more knowledgable folks than I, so awesome.

Feel like the odds of us going MLB in the early draft are going down.
With Bishop coming back and Jones/Hawk competing for the other inside spot, inside backer will be nothing more than a late round investment now.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:37 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good that they brought Jones back. At this stage, ideally they'd be pairing him with Bishop at ILB as their starters. They would complement each other well.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As far as ive seen DuJuan Harris is a FA? Why have we not signed him yet?

Remaining FA's are

Cedric Benson - Dont want

Ryan Grant - Dont want

Jarret Boykin (RFA) - He wasnt even tendered as far as I know. So any team could sign him and we would get nothing. I do want him back.

Frank Zombo - Dont Want

Sam Shields (RFA) - Would like him to get a long term contract already.

And its about time we got Jones signed. Now only if Hawk was gone.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

There's conflicting information as far as Harris being a free agent, but I don't believe he is one.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
There's conflicting information as far as Harris being a free agent, but I don't believe he is one.
Harris is not a free agent. McCarthy's pressers clearly state Harris will be half of the rushing attack this year. I'll take his word over random internet reports, plus I haven't seen him listed as a free agent for us on any of the many legit sites I've checked our info on.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
Good that they brought Jones back. At this stage, ideally they'd be pairing him with Bishop at ILB as their starters. They would complement each other well.
Like someone said about Sherrod not being out of the woods yet, neither is Bishop.
Folks, he ripped the hamstring OFF. Not just a tear OF IT.
We'll see when, and how, he comes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/sports...080000022.html

Jennings took out full page ads to thank the fans. Classy move...anybody want to take back your "he's dead to me" statements?
No I don't. This was just damage-control. He was told to do this to sooth the fans. In fact, I tried to tweet this to him the night of the signing because I wanted it to NOT become a big thing.... which it did.

You can't jump to that team and not lose a bunch of fans. Especially when Thompson had tried hard to sign him, and had offered market value a few times.

Plus all the schit his sister said was a (partial) reflection of him and the things he said.
He wanted to go to Miami, and had he, it would have been better.
But amazingly, it once again is the Vikings. Why them? THey always want our guys.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Packers re-signed LB Brad Jones to 3-year deal worth $11.75 million, including $3 million to sign with possible Pro Bowl escalators.

With a contract like that, they must be worried about DJ Smith and Bishop returning in time. You don't pay a LB that much to be a back-up
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Brad Jones is better than DJ Smith.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Brad Jones is better than DJ Smith.
Brad Jones last year was better then not only Smith, but also Hawk and Bishop. He actually covered people and has great athleticism.

I've always liked Jones; I remember when we made the 3-4 switch and there was that first year where he looked like a legit option as a 3-4 OLB. He's got speed and cover ability, just always been a little on the lighter side and needs to work on his tackling.

Also, he's only 26. He's TURNING 27 this year. Considering he graded out as one of the top 10 ILBs last year and is still really learning a new position (or at least, actually focused; no more ping-ponging him around from ROLB to LOLB to solely dime backer to blah blah blah) he really could turn into something great for us.

Desmond Bishop, Brad Jones, A.J. Hawk and D.J. Smith is a lot of depth at that ILB position; especially considering Manning is still a project guy many were really high on from the draft last year.

Most importantly, that frees us up to pursure either the best pass-rusher that drops to us, a safety if we decide McMillian isn't the guy, or even a luxury pick like Eifert or a RB in the first and second rounds.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

I really worry about when and how they will be when they pass the rehab process:

Quote:
McCarthy also hinted that Jones would be re-signed in his answer about Bishop and Smith.

“I know D.J.’s injury is very serious. He’s there every day,” McCarthy said. “And Bishop, I haven’t seen him for a while. He was in town for a checkup. I couldn’t really give you an honest assessment of where ‘Bish’ is at right now.

“I’m concerned on a personal level for their injuries, but our board looks a lot better today..."
Old 03-25-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

looks like the Packers are gonna pay Finley

Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
looks like the Packers are gonna pay Finley
Didn't really have a choice at this point. The best TE in the draft will likely be gone by the time we pick and the other options don't look like immediate impact players to me. Our offense would have been in dire straits this year without Finley. I'd still love it if we picked up Eifert but the decision to keep Finley was one that had to be made.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not surprised one bit I never expected he would be cut. Yea it would be nice if he took a paycut but I think he will realise its time to put up or he could be cut and his chance at any significant money in the future would be a lot less.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Giorgio Tavecchio was signed

At California, Tavecchio hit on 48 of 64 field goals (75%). As a senior in 2011, Tavecchio went 20 of 23 (87%), though also missed six extra points.

Last edited by princefielder28 : 03-26-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

I wonder what the team's approach with Finley is. He is a player who has routinely underachieved given his skill set and the expectations set forth my coaches and fans alike. Granted he is a player that opponents seemlingly focus their attention on in the red zone, but is he worth a $8.25 million number? I don't think anyone will argue that he is and we currently have three high salary players (Rodgers, Matthews and Raji) who will eat up considerable amount of cap space and we could have used the extra 8 million to front load one of these deals and give us more cap flexibility for the future.

The tight end position has never been the focal point of the offense since McCarthy has been coach, and it's been more of a niche position. To invest so much in a player who causes us as many headches as he does for an opponent, is a poor choice by the front office.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

S Michael Huff has a visit scheduled with the Pack
Old 03-26-2013, 04:46 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
S Michael Huff has a visit scheduled with the Pack
That's good news. Would be nice to add a little muscle back there to go with all the frailish, thin, finesse guys we have back there, if at a nice price.

The kicker we added is a joke.