Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sure Greg wanted to stay with the Packers, but what we've become accustomed to since TT became GM is that veteran players aren't offered their market value by the team and it often leads to them finding a new team to play for. How many of us would turn down $18 million guaranteed and possibly a deal worth $47.5 million? Greg is a quality individual and his character suggests that he wouldn't go to Minnesota simply in spite.

I think Jennings is a Packer Hall of Famer if you separate what he did on the field from how you feel about him personally and the choices he made off the field.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Jennings and I am trying to be pretty objective here but I vote no. I think if he had 1-2 more seasons he would be an instant lock.

As of right this second I have to give it a no.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:08 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would say he is on the borderline, but probably in. His numbers are almost identical to Antonio Freeman's when he left and Freeman is in.

That being said, I think the rest of his career will play into it. This is assuming he stays respectful of the Packers organization and doesn't end up being a "Packer killer" as a Viking.

Edit: He's definitely in if you look at the numbers. Compare his totals to Robert Brooks.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Robert Brooks comparison statistically was the big kicker in my evaluation too. Plus, Jennings will have been the #1 wide receiver for two future hall of fame quarterbacks on the same team and I think that's a big deal too.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty sure that Robert Brooks got in mostly for popularizing the Lambeau Leap. Butler might have invented it, but it was a one-off stunt before Brooks started doing it a couple years later.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:07 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Robert Brooks was better at his peak, but he didn't last.
He just had a catastrophic ACL tear just at his 1995 peak (102/1497/13TD).
ACL injury early in 1996 (after Sterling's ended in the end of 1994.)
Such bullschit luck we had there with those 2 great Gamecocks.
That should have been years of a Dynamic Duo better than Marvin Harrison & Reggie Wayne.

Thompson made a big effort to keep Jennings even when all of us assumed Jennings was gone and that we'd not even attempt to keep him.

Jennings valued the extra $ more than the Packers legacy. Can't deny that.
Not everyone takes every extra dollar they can get.
See Driver.

For that, I vote NO, just like Jennings answer to Ted's fine offer to retain him as a Packer. He chose the no right there IMO and I feel no guilt voting no for that.

Kampman yes.
Al Harris yes.
And they signed elsewhere.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

J-Mike, I feel you miss from time to time that the NFL is a business. I don't hold any ill will towards Jennings or Favre for going over to Minnesota when they did. The Packers chose that either they didn't want to keep the player or weren't willing to offer what the market dictated for the player, and after that the player looks to get paid and go somewhere they have the chance to win. Does it suck that those players are in the division and will face the Packers twice a year? Absolutely and that's because we know they make the team (Minnesota) better but if the Packers take care of their business then it shouldn't matter.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
rvns
Rookie

rvns is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rvns is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rvns is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rvns is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rvns is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rvns is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rvns is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rvns is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rvns is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rvns is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rvns is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't they offer 2yr-20mil?? but he wanted a longer contract so he chose to have a QB throwing bounce passes to him over the best in the league...
rvns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:14 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
J-Mike, I feel you miss from time to time that the NFL is a business. I don't hold any ill will towards Jennings or Favre for going over to Minnesota when they did. The Packers chose that either they didn't want to keep the player or weren't willing to offer what the market dictated for the player, and after that the player looks to get paid and go somewhere they have the chance to win. Does it suck that those players are in the division and will face the Packers twice a year? Absolutely and that's because we know they make the team (Minnesota) better but if the Packers take care of their business then it shouldn't matter.
I hold how Favre reacted after retiring the first time against him but you are right. The Packers had decided to move on and Favre did what eh thought was right for him at the time. While in general it can seem like a slap in the face to us as fans imagine how they might feel.

In Favre's case he was the man... The only guy to win 3 MVPs (at the time) took us to two Superbowls... broke every record imaginable. The guy was essentially the savior of the franchise and beloved by every Green Bay fan and when he change his mind is "home" no longer wanted him any more. His "family" sent him packing and said stay retired.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Packers signed FS Morgan Burnett to a four-year, $24.75 million extension.
The deal includes $8.25 million in guaranteed money.

Excellent deal for a young safety who is improving each year
Old 07-15-2013, 06:17 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

I am not a fan of the deal.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:26 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At least only 8mil is guaranteed. 8mil/per season is difference maker money IMO and he hasn't shown that yet. Is he solid? Yes, but he'll need to start forcing some turnovers to justify this deal. It is telling that the only thing that PFT could list for accomplishments is that he started all 16 games the last two seasons.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice deal with Burnett for both sides. We have nobody who's proven anything back there other than Morgan, who had a couple of nice picks vs Minnesota last year.

Remember Teddy traded up to get Burnett. They love him.

I realize the NFL is a business.
I also know not every player takes any extra $ offered from someone else. A lot of players take a little less to stay with the team who drafted them, a system that he's familiar with, a little hometown discount.

The writing was on the wall awhile ago, and once his big mouthed sister said those bitter, tasteless things about Rodgers, and the Packers, I knew Jennings was planning on exiting. Perhaps not just for more money, but out of spite, something..... something was there. It wasn't just his sister coming up with wild ideas.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:05 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

What would you guys say Burnett does very well?

Old 07-15-2013, 08:39 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't think he is worth this deal yet. Just don't see much of a playmaker yet. Hope he proves me wrong tho.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:47 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What would you guys say Burnett does very well?
At FS? Not much.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

I think he's pretty good back there, getting better, and he's still very young.

I see what TT saw in him to trade up, and I am not a TT-defender all the time.

He'll look a helluva lot better if Datone, Perry, and Neal, and Matthews can stay on the field going after QBs.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:24 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I think he's pretty good back there, getting better, and he's still very young.

I see what TT saw in him to trade up, and I am not a TT-defender all the time.

He'll look a helluva lot better if Datone, Perry, and Neal, and Matthews can stay on the field going after QBs.
I like when we selected Burnett too but to this point he hasn't shown me a ton to get excited about and warrant the extension. He's a safety who likes to operate moving forward (aka not the skills of a free safety), has lapses in assignment on coverage and creates few turnovers.

Last edited by princefielder28 : 07-16-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I like when we selected Burnett too but to this point he hasn't shown me a ton to get excited about and warrant the extension. He's a safety who likes to operate moving forward (aka not the skills of a free safety), has lapses in assignment on coverage and creates few turnovers.
I always thought he was a Strong Safety that was forced to play FS? I could be entirely wrong here though.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
I always thought he was a Strong Safety that was forced to play FS? I could be entirely wrong here though.
He is/was.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

Quote:
He is/was.
Excuse my ignorance... but if he is better suited as a SS then why not play him there?

Isn't a good to potentially great SS worth more than a solid to potentially good FS?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance... but if he is better suited as a SS then why not play him there?

Isn't a good to potentially great SS worth more than a solid to potentially good FS?
I agree he showed more promise as SS paired with Collins. After Collins went down they have seemed intent on using Burnett in that role. To be honest at the safety position the depth chart seems to be filled with SS types not so many FS.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:31 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
I agree he showed more promise as SS paired with Collins. After Collins went down they have seemed intent on using Burnett in that role. To be honest at the safety position the depth chart seems to be filled with SS types not so many FS.
This is the problem I see too. Our roster is littered with guys who possess the skills to be starting caliber strong safeties but outside of Richardson I don't see a free safety fit.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:39 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

I think Burnett will become the captain back there at free safety.
You guys might be too young to remember, but Nick Collins first couple of years as a Packer, there were constant questions from the press to the Packers about the "miss-communications" back there, why there were frequent blown coverages back there.

Burnett only has really 2 seasons of playing time under his belt. I think he has the skills to be a solid free safety.

MacMillian was drafted to be more of the physical one. He's strong, not as fluid in coverage back there.

It's Jeron who I want to see coming up, unaccounted for, who knocks Kaepernick's rib thru his back in week 1.
And Eli in week 10.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:30 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

The team is encouraged from what they've seen of Jermichael Finley and where he's at with camp starting next week. It is a contract year for him so we'll see what a hard working Jermichael can do.