Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2013, 01:47 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love DuJuan Harris. He looked very similar to Ray Rice to me last year.
Short, but strong. Good balance. And quick.
Decisive into the hole and made people miss.
While Benson, Starks, Green all averaged between 3.4 & 3.6 behind the soft OL, Harris averaged 4.6 and looked good at San Francisco.

Rodgers just said this about Harris:

“I love ‘The Used Car Salesman.’ I think he’s a special player,” quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. “I think DuJuan Harris is an incredible combination of strength and agility for a man of his size, and I’m excited about seeing what he can do as a featured back.

Our RB depth has now gone from bad to really really good IMO.
Harris was by far our best last year.
Now he might be our 3rd best. I'll take 4.6 any day, from anyone.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:15 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Harris had some surprisingly positive moments last year, especially for a back cut by Jacksonville, but let's not go overboard by comparing him to Ray Rice. Harris will serve us well as a change of pace back.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:40 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Harris had some surprisingly positive moments last year, especially for a back cut by Jacksonville, but let's not go overboard by comparing him to Ray Rice. Harris will serve us well as a change of pace back.
I'm just calling it how I saw it, and I said that last year when I saw him in action.

Reminded me of Ray Rice.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:34 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The south end zone is all finished and it looks great!

Old 07-21-2013, 08:40 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

McGinn talking about the Packers possibly trading Alex Green this camp season.

I can't see anyone offering anything for Alex Green, who was drafted 3 rounds before most projections, and has since suffered the dreaded torn ACL.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:56 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
McGinn talking about the Packers possibly trading Alex Green this camp season.

I can't see anyone offering anything for Alex Green, who was drafted 3 rounds before most projections, and has since suffered the dreaded torn ACL.
We could probably get a conditional pick for him but nothing more.

Here's some other news from today: According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the Rams offered Steven Jackson to the Packers last year in exchange for a seventh-round pick.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We could probably get a conditional pick for him but nothing more.

Here's some other news from today: According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the Rams offered Steven Jackson to the Packers last year in exchange for a seventh-round pick.
If we didnt get Lacy and Franklin I'd be upset.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
If we didnt get Lacy and Franklin I'd be upset.
I am still upset, if true, even though I love DuJuan Harris and both Lacy & Franklin.

Why?

Because Jackson would have commanded respect from the 49er defense, and it would have made things a little easier for the passing game, and edge pass-protectors.

Jackson was strong down the stretch.

I read ProFootballFocus break down Jackson's last 8 games, every carry, and he was strong.

That would have helped us on the ground, but also helped in the passing game as a result.

HOWEVER: That wouldn't have solved Dom Capers' pathetic gameplan on defense that made Kaepernick look like Usain Bolt thru wide-open spaces.

They seem to blame Charles Woodson for it all?

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 07-23-2013 at 10:53 AM.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Supposedly it was Jackson's contract that was the reason they didn't obtain him.
More understandable, but surprised they couldn't have worked that out.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Supposedly it was Jackson's contract that was the reason they didn't obtain him.
More understandable, but surprised they couldn't have worked that out.
Thompson has never been willing to take a risk on a veteran player to improve the team mid-season (Tony Gonzalez, Randy Moss, Steven Jackson), and the money excuse is a poor one IMO.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:34 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jackson would not have changed a thing about that shellacking @ SF. I'm really hoping that Capers is on the hot seat this season. His D's have put in horrendous performances in 3 of the Packers last 4 playoff appearances, giving the team NO chance. These comments from Kaep are pretty damning

Quote:
“It got to a point,” he says, “where we could hear [the Packers’ defenders] arguing while we were in our huddle. ‘You’re supposed to do this,’ or ‘You have to do this, then the other.’ At that point, our offense was like, It’s over. As soon as you start turning on your teammates, you’re not going to be productive. You know you have them in the palm of your hands.”
We already got quotes from packer players admitting that they barely/didn't even study/gameplan for the read option. They were horribly outcoached and unprepared for that game on defense. It's make or break time for Capers
Old 07-24-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
Jackson would not have changed a thing about that shellacking @ SF. I'm really hoping that Capers is on the hot seat this season. His D's have put in horrendous performances in 3 of the Packers last 4 playoff appearances, giving the team NO chance. These comments from Kaep are pretty damning.

We already got quotes from packer players admitting that they barely/didn't even study/gameplan for the read option. They were horribly outcoached and unprepared for that game on defense. It's make or break time for Capers
Could not have said it better myself.

Capers got embarrassed by the old man Warner, his last moment of glory in a storied career. That performance against us was all-time perfect. It was like a scrimmage against a JV team.

The loss to the Giants was horrible defense the first half. The second half was better but too little too late.

And as bad as the pass defense was against Warner, we all know the run defense against the Niners was just as horrific, another record-setting performance against us.

This has gotten to be like the 1980's Chargers with the great Air Coryell & Dan Fouts offense needing to score 40 or more to beat a good team.

And Capers:
A) Is getting paid top dollar as a DC
B) Has been given plenty of resources to work with, although I agree bad luck on injuries has hurt as did letting Cullen Jenkins go.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:22 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Who do you guys think will be our 2nd best defensive player by playoff time?

Morgan Burnett
Casey Hayward
Sam Shields
Tramon Williams
Nick Perry
Datone Jones
BJ Raji

I'm telling you I hope it's Datone. Or Perry.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:34 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Casey Hayward. He was probably our 2nd best defensive player last year. And now I realise why our defense sucks.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:41 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Capers had "plenty of resources to work with"? I know everyone likes to blame Capers for everything, but what some people expect from him is just unrealistic.

RIP themaninblack
Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Datone Jones signed his deal today. 4yr/$7.71 million, $6.25 million guaranteed

Everybody ready to go for camp
Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Capers had "plenty of resources to work with"? I know everyone likes to blame Capers for everything, but what some people expect from him is just unrealistic.
Agree that the D still needs more playmakers, but there's no excuse for the types of performances his defense's have put up in the playoffs over the years. 2010 is looking like an outlier. They were completely unprepared for the Niners game and I put that on him and his staff. Players probably weren't good enough to stop the Niners anyway, but no NFL team should allow over 300 rushing yards in a game
Old 07-25-2013, 06:00 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

He's had how many playoff games? 8. The bad games are Arizona, San Francisco and...New York? I don't understand how 5 games can count as the outlier here. And even then, were these losses even Capers' fault? The fact that Capers gets blamed for the Giants defensive performance is just ridiculous. Take away Hakeem Nicks bouncing off our defenders and grabbing an uncontested hail mary and we could've won that game. But apparently the players get a free pass for everything.

So that's 2/8...Even if you do it by year. 2009 and 2012 were bad. 2010 and 2011 were good. That's a four game sample size. Of which he's been bad for only half. It's like saying Matt Flynn is a good quarterback because of two good games and forgetting that it only two games and that he was playing against bad defenses.

And of course, all of this is assuming it's actually Capers' fault in the first place. Was Erik Walden running around like a headless chicken because Dom Capers didn't tell him what to do, or is it because Erik Walden sucks? I don't like how everyone just assumes it's the first one without hesitation.

RIP themaninblack
Old 07-25-2013, 07:44 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

That Arizona game in 2009 was absolute horrific bad, all-time terrible. Not just a poor or bad game. It was historic.
Our offense that year was on fire. That team could have gone all the way if the defense was just bad or better, average.

The 49er game made Colin Kaepernick look like Usain Bolt at the Olympics.
They were totally unprepared as we all saw. It wasn't missed tackles by the guys, it was not knowing whatthefuq was going on as the skinny guy just kept running past us.
It's not like there wasn't any film on that schit.
The Rams had already -TWICE- contained it.

The interesting thing I find is that Thompson/McCarthy have basically only jettisoned one guy from that game, Woodson. And kept Capers.
Drafted Datone, and basically we're going to roll with the same guys.... just more preparation with the coaches...... what's that tell you? It wasn't the players, it was the lack of coaching it that week leading up to it.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

SP, it's not about the number of good games versus the number of bad games. The issue with Dom Capers is how we loss those games. The Arizona playoff game was embarrassing for both defenses and there were too many instances where the defense looked completely at the will of the Arizona offense and no excuse can be made for such a performance.

The Super Bowl season and the subsequent playoff run was played very well by Capers and the defense; there's no denying that. We had our strongest cast of players with Matthews, Woodson, Collins, Shields in a good rookie season, BJ Raji in his best stretch of games, and much unheralded Howard Green, who was a big factor in our defensive rotation that year.

Since then the defense has lost Nick Collins due to injury and key guys like Woodson and Pickett have gotten old and/or moved on. I think the majority of problems people have with Capers and his defenses is that they often seem unprepared for big games and they haven't improved while the players develop in the scheme. It has always been a theme in all of Capers stops though where he starts strong and year to year his defenses progressively get worse.

Heck, Ed Donatell lost his job because of one play yet excuses are continually made for Capers.

Last edited by princefielder28 : 07-25-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

I get it. The players have no responsibility whatsoever. If Dom Capers doesn't magically turn a defense of below average players into world beaters, he's failing at his job. I just think the expectations are a little bit high.

The players not being very good isn't an excuse, it's a reason. The main reason. Blaming Capers for the players not being able to execute is just an excuse for the players.

RIP themaninblack
Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Are you pointing the blame at Ted Thompson then? I agree that TT has failed in adding significant talent to the front seven to this point (I'm optimistic about Jones), and Dom Capers job is to take those players and do the best he can with them. One downfall with Capers is the defense seems to have issues with communication and assignments and that falls on the coaching staff along with the players.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

I think the biggest issue with the defense this year is who are our leaders on that side of the ball? Desmond Bishop was a tremendous leader, he's gone, and Charles Woodson has moved on as well. In a difficult game like the San Francisco one players lean on their leaders and with the current composition of our defense, there's not that one guy to rally the troops. Clay Matthews is more lead by example and it doesn't seem to be a part of his personality to be the soulful leader. When things get difficult at some point in the season, which guy on defense will be the one to get in front of the room and re-energize everyone?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:19 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Are you pointing the blame at Ted Thompson then? I agree that TT has failed in adding significant talent to the front seven to this point (I'm optimistic about Jones), and Dom Capers job is to take those players and do the best he can with them. One downfall with Capers is the defense seems to have issues with communication and assignments and that falls on the coaching staff along with the players.
Well since Clay Matthews we haven't really drafted a difference maker on the defensive side of the ball. Obviously not all TT's fault, but when we don't sign FA's and we aren't drafting good players, our defense isn't going to magically improve.

Mike Neal and Morgan Burnett both could've been good, but injuries and being played out of position has slowed down their progress. In 2011 we just neglected our defense. 2012 has potential, but the Nick Perry injury was another set back.

It's nice to look at where our defense could be, but that's a long way away from where it has actually been in the last two years.

RIP themaninblack
Old 07-25-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn 14m

S Ryan McMahon of #SacramentoState, the #Packers' newest addition, fits their speed profile. He ran 4.53 at 213 pounds in early April.