Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 23 48.94%
I love it 32 68.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The media can report any borderline libelous material without any repercussions, and this is another perfect example of that.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:25 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If having a roommate or best friend who's a bit emo is enough to make you ***, then I guess I'm also ***.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
If having a roommate or best friend who's a bit emo is enough to make you ***, then I guess I'm also ***.
It was always a dumb story. Yeah, okay, Rodgers is hiding his coolness yet taking the guy to awards shows and hanging out with his jock.football friends. Cuz that's subtle.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:42 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol ya the story was hilarious

tons of athletes have personal trainers for one thing....and living with a good friend isn't out of the usual.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:54 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that people assume that he doesn't need a roommate because he can afford to live alone. But some people don't want to live alone.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:35 PM    (permalink
fatso
Rookie

fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys, I need help to help understand something. Why were the Packers able to advance the ball on that strip of Rodgers where they scored? I thought you can't advance the ball on a fumble.

I'm not a angry bears fan. Just a confused football fan watching the replay.
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:50 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If a player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, or on fourth down at any time during the game, only the fumbling player can recover and advance the ball. If that player's teammate recovers the ball during those situations, it is placed back at the spot of the fumble
It was not after the two-minute warning and it was 1st and 10.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:07 PM    (permalink
fatso
Rookie

fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
It was not after the two-minute warning and it was 1st and 10.
Thank you I never realized that was the rule. Wow.
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:53 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hypothetical fantasy:

You can add any TWO players to the Packers right now, from any other teams, any positions. Who do you add?

I go:

Luke Kuechly
Earl Thomas

JJ Watt
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Hypothetical fantasy:

You can add any TWO players to the Packers right now, from any other teams, any positions. Who do you add?

I go:

Luke Kuechly
Earl Thomas

JJ Watt
I'd go JJ Watt and Calvin Johnson. I realize that we have one of the best WR groups, but no one would ever have a shot at outscoring us if we had Megatron. Add in the pressure from Watts and we'd instantly be the best team in the NFL, in my opinion.

Could also say Jimmy Graham to avoid messing with our WR groups.. but nah, I'll take the better player (not to say Graham isn't great.. but it's Megatron.)

I see the value of going double D, but Kuechly may not be a great 3-4 fit and Earl Thomas is a touch overrated (great safety, but he's not a top 30 NFL player.)

Hali or Houston are tempting, but again.. not top 30 NFL players. On a slightly separate subject, I BADLY wanted Justin Houston that year. As a 1st or 2nd rounder. So bummed we didn't get him and I turned out right on that one.

Willis or Bowman, also very tempting. And at least borderline top 30 players. But I just think Calvin is maybe the best player in the game and would be so, so good with Rodgers.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 01-02-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:30 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
On a slightly separate subject, I BADLY wanted Justin Houston that year. As a 1st or 2nd rounder. So bummed we didn't get him and I turned out right on that one.
So did I.
Also remember I have had a mancrush on Jerry Hughes and he'd be a Packer if I was in charge....
Old 01-03-2014, 08:39 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watched the replay of Bears game and as someone who has been in favor of playing Lattimore over Jones I was a bit disappointed. At least two of Forte's big runs happened because he abandoned his gap. He definitely has more closing burst than Jones when he's in position but he has to clean that up.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:39 AM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Hypothetical fantasy:

I go:

Luke Kuechly
Earl Thomas

JJ Watt
I would go Watt and Joe Thomas.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormysterioso View Post
I would go Watt and Joe Thomas.
I was tempted by this as well, but Bahk actually has been an above average LT and he's a rookie, whereas Thomas' play has dropped a bit from the elite level it used to be. I actually wouldn't be shocked if Bahk grades out about the same by some of the advanced metric sites (ie.. PFF, et.)

Were I to go Oline, I'd probably be more tempted to go with Alex Mack and seriously upgrade our weakest link on the OLine, especially with the way our division looks at DT. Don't forget Bulaga should be back next year and was a very nice RT for us; I feel very solid about Bahk and Bulaga as our bookends going forward.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:35 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

The offense doesn't NEED upgrading at all, and the OL is okay. Plus A) Bahk will get better and B) Bulaga should be back. C) Sherrod maybe too.

The defense NEEDS upgrades all over the place.

I truly believe if we had Willis and Bowman like the Niners do, our overall D would be so much better. Those guys read and reach so much faster, sticking their noses into the holes instead of making tackle after tackle 7 yards beyond the LOS.

Having Nick Collins back would be great.... so Earl Thomas.

JJ Watt is the best. I wonder if Capers would tie his hands.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:31 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anybody else hoping the Pack re-sign Starks? He compliments Lacy perfectly IMO
Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
anybody else hoping the Pack re-sign Starks? He compliments Lacy perfectly IMO
With Franklin and Harris coming back from injury, I think they're more than capable of complementing Lacy. I do like Starks, but Mike seemed reluctant to use him more.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

So our upcoming free agents (correct me if I miss anyone..)

Shields
Finley
Raji
Jones
Starks
EDS
Jolly

Who do we bring back? I think Shields, EDS, Jolly stay and the others are gone.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:54 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

Jolly stays provided he is healthy.

Raji gone unless market is weak.

Too bad Tretter missed the whole season as that probably means they have no choice but to bring EDS back.

Shields should come back. Isn't Tramon a FA?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
Jolly stays provided he is healthy.

Raji gone unless market is weak.

Too bad Tretter missed the whole season as that probably means they have no choice but to bring EDS back.

Shields should come back. Isn't Tramon a FA?
Tramon is not a free agent, but we could cut him to save about $7 mil. Similar situation with Pickett.

With the relative inexperience of our struggling secondary, and the fact that his play hasn't been terrible and he showed up in the playoffs, I would be surprised to see him go.

It doesn't appear that we'll have any cap issues if we don't resign Raji, so unless we target a good/decently priced free agent there won't be much incentive to cut Tramon. Also entirely possible we work out an extension with him to lower the number significantly.

Also, PFF has EDS as the #8 rated Center this year. Wow. I find that crazy. I'm assuming that speaks more towards the quality of Centers currently playing but still, PFF usually gets pretty close with these things and that's a big surprise to me.

My two locks for free agency are us bringing back Shields, that HAS to happen, and Raji leaving. I'd imagine he wants to go to a 4-3 team which is probably a better use of his talents.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

So let's take a look at what I hope 2014 will shape up to be..

Defensively
I'd like to see us get a starter level safety and/or middle linebacker from free agency. That would be fantastic.

Next, I think it's imperative we draft at least one defensive playmaker with star potential. We're sorely lacking at that. The only players on our team that I think are even in the realm of ever being such a player are Matthews, Heyward, Shields, Daniels. I don't see who else from our current roster has that potential. Maybe Datone Jones if he suddenly turns it on year 2?

When you consider teams like the 49ers or Seahawks or Panthers, they have 6, 7 or 8 of those guys and most of them are already there. We have ONE who is already there. Not good enough.

Obviously, that's easier said than done.. but my most realistic hope would Heyward coming back and building upon his rookie year, Daniels continuing to get more reps and cranking it up, and Jones doing more with additional reps from losing Raji. Combine that with drafting a great rookie MLB or Safety and our defense would be solid.

Offensively

I hope Bulaga comes back as a RT, we keep Bahk at LT, give Tretter a chance to win the center job and really glue people in at certain spots as backups. No more of this rotating door of crap when people get injured. A line of Bahk, Sitton, Tretter/EDS, Lang, Bulaga should be pretty good.

We should continue to build our run identity, specifically by lining up in traditional running formations more often. This running out of shotgun thing is silly, why get people running side to side instead of north and south? Lacy's game is better suited to be a direct force. Maybe Franklin can be more useful in that side to side stuff, as a change of pace, next year. Or Harris if we bring him back.

Improve on 3rd down and the red zone. These things continue to kill an otherwise brilliant offense, so we really need to figure out a better gameplan. I mainly put this on McCarthy because a lot of the playcalls in these two situations flat out suck.

Special Teams.

Crosby had a heck of a year, so I guess we're back on board with him. We'll see how he does next year with less pressure.

The return game is pretty solid for us. I like Hyde and Cobb as situational returners.

Our coverage unit needs a lot of work. Specifically, we need to do a better job of picking out players that can practice from day one of training camp and still be on the coverage unit week 17; meaning players less likely to be drafted into regular starting action. OR, if that's not feasible, make the decision to put out the same coverage unit even if players end up starting on offense or defense. We routinely were put in a hole by this unit all season and that has to stop.

Overall, I'm not sure how to feel. I think the offense will be dynamite next year. I'd love to think the defense could be something great, but I'm not sure I see it. If we stubbornly stick to putting guys like Burnett, Jones and Hawk out there.. well, this isn't going to turn into a special unit. We need one hell of a home run draft to craft this D into something teams will fear.

My super early prediction is something like 12-4 with another early playoff exit. I think our superior offensive talent wins a lot of games in the regular season but our lacking defense and inferior coaching doesn't lend well to playoff play.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

An early playoff exit has been a trend as of late. Outside of the Super Bowl run, which obviously can't be discounted, the team's only other playoff win with Rodgers at quarterback came against the Joe Webb led Vikings last season.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
Also, PFF has EDS as the #8 rated Center this year. Wow. I find that crazy. I'm assuming that speaks more towards the quality of Centers currently playing but still, PFF usually gets pretty close with these things and that's a big surprise to me.
EDS is fine.
I saw another grader of positions have EDS even higher.
He's not a guy that needs replacing.

Our offense is fine from 1-15. Depth at RB.
Decent depth at WR.
I guess TE, if J-Mike is done, is the one area needing attention.

But all the rest, again, has to be on defense.

Why?
Because we cannot stop Colin Kaepernick.
He's got over 1,200 yards in 3 games against us.
Rodgers threw for 177 yesterday.

We've ignored the safety position for 2 straight drafts now after losing Nick Collins in 2011.
Could have had either of Eric Reid or Harrison Smith, instead went with Datone Jones and Nick Perry.
Say what you want, but it's obviously not worked out.

Not only are our safeties not good tacklers, they also are the first group of safeties to go INTERCEPTIONLESS for a full 17-game season since I can remember, and I have followed NFL football since the late 1970's.
Excuses or not, that's pitiful, and I sure would love to have either of those safeties.

We're wasting the Aaron Rodgers era.
You need your top draft picks to have immediate impact. Worthy, Datone, Perry, where was Hayward? These guys didn't help at all this year.

There's also another tool for adding talent, called free agency. And trading.
Look at San Fran, Seattle, New Orleans, Carolina.

Did anyone notice Justin Smith? Ahmad Brooks? Donte Whitner? Anquan Boldin? They didn't draft any of those guys.

Remember how horrible this roster was when Rodgers was out?
All of a sudden, what looked like a talented roster with Rodgers, looked like a bottom-3 team without him. Don't forget that.

Thompson has to make the right moves this off-season.
He either has to hit a bunch of home runs in the draft, or he needs to add a piece or two (like a Michael Bennett AND Cliff Avril to Seattle, L Landry to Indy, Dumerville to Baltimore, Woodhead to SD, Abraham to AZ, Welker to Denver, V Butler to NO, DRC to Den, C Williams to Philly, etc.)

Just trying to look at possible Free Agents this off-season, guys who might make us a little better at a weak position:

TE: Brandon Pettigrew
DL: Paul Soliai (a realistic one, not a big name, but a decent big body replacement on that DL should we lose a couple of our DL)
OLB: Brian Orakpo (obviously a pipe dream as TT would never get a premium guy)
ILB: Brandon Spikes
S: Jairus Byrd (another pipe dream)
S: T.J. Ward (For four years, Ward has been one of the best safeties in the league.
This year, Ward is the second-best safety at PFF. He has the third-most tackles at his position.)
S: Donte Whitner (he is allowing just 52.2 percent of passes thrown his direction for an NFL quarterback rating of 66.2.
After a lackluster 2012, Whitner rates among the best safeties in the league at PFF.)
S: Bernard Pollard (The tough safety has done a fine job in Tennessee, tied for 10th in the league with 93 total tackles and ninth with three interceptions)
Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

I'd rather go into next season with Quarless and Bostick than spend any money on Pettigrew. Bostick has decent size at 6'3" 250 and can run. Played WR in college so needs to work on blocking. Thought he was starting to come on before he got hurt. Would like to see what he can do with a real QB throwing the ball. He didn't get his chance until Rodgers was out then he got hurt himself.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Perfect