Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2014, 09:56 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
Yeah, there's no risk on GB's part but potential massive upside

also somewhat to note, apparently the Packers still had Finley's nameplate on his locker today but Jolly and Pickett's were removed
The J-Mike part makes me happy.... I AM J-MIKE88!

But I love Pickett so much... was my favorite Packer, along with Woodson, Collins, Driver, J Jones.....

I wonder, hope Pickett can somehow stay in shape, and perhaps we call him back up if we need a fresh, run stuffer later in the season?

Love Big Grease....
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Ahead of Ebron really?.
For sure. Colt was a great open field runner and a plus blocker. Ebron is neither.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Smokey
Veteran

Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Packers giving Colt Lyerla a tryout.
He seems a smart kid and sure handed and hella competitive. Here's hoping his arrest really served as a wake up call.

Not sure exactly how the NFLPA and the league handles incoming rookies but, assuming he's signed, I bet he's in the Program from Day 1.
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:59 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
He seems a smart kid and sure handed and hella competitive. Here's hoping his arrest really served as a wake up call.

Not sure exactly how the NFLPA and the league handles incoming rookies but, assuming he's signed, I bet he's in the Program from Day 1.
I don't know if I would call him smart. Doing cocaine and telling people that Sandy Hook was a government conspiracy to push gun control doesn't scream smart to me; either that or he's lacking in common sense.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:50 AM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't know if I would call him smart. Doing cocaine and telling people that Sandy Hook was a government conspiracy to push gun control doesn't scream smart to me; either that or he's lacking in common sense.
Well, the cocaine part could certainly lead to the Sandy Hook part, but yeah. Smart is probably not the word I would use to describe him.
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:28 PM    (permalink
Smokey
Veteran

Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well spoken I should say. From the interview links J-Mike posted he seems to be relatively eloquent for a college player.
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This could be really interesting. How many of us didn't act like idiots at 21? If he's off the drugs his football talent is stupendous. I absolutely love his football skillset.

How great would it be if we turned an undrafted cocaine addict into our starting TE?

Old 05-18-2014, 03:22 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate drugs more than anyone on here, and I hate idiots who would say something so stupid, insensitive towards parents of precious little children who were just slaughtered, in school.

But I endorse this signing for a few reasons.

However, he's nowhere near as talented as a Vernon Davis or Jimmy Graham is IMO, or a healthy Kellen Winslow Jr even back a decade.

Still, he's got more talent than anyone else we got now.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:34 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love to see the team sign Colt and give him a chance even with the baggage because there wasn't anyone more physically gifted at the position in this year's draft. That said, let's not be apologists by claiming youthful ignorance for the poor decisions he has made to this point.

The team appears to be leaning towards letting him walk.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I hate drugs more than anyone on here, and I hate idiots who would say something so stupid, insensitive towards parents of precious little children who were just slaughtered, in school.

But I endorse this signing for a few reasons.

However, he's nowhere near as talented as a Vernon Davis or Jimmy Graham is IMO, or a healthy Kellen Winslow Jr even back a decade.

Still, he's got more talent than anyone else we got now.
I agree. The only way I see us signing him is if TT truly believes he had a drug problem and is trying to fix his life.

I'm getting really excited about this year. This draft class looks really great to me the more I look back at it. I think Davante Adams and Haha could be pro bowl type players; Bradford has a shot with a year or two development, too. Rodgers and Linsley could also be starters. Now the question is, how long until the entire team is injured?

Old 05-18-2014, 04:37 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
The team appears to be leaning towards letting him walk.
That's pure conjuncture at this point.
As with leading up to the draft, Ted Thompson gives no indication as to his plans.

Most recent tweets, it's all speculation, with most (including Demovsky) guessing Packers WILL, in fact, sign him.
Quote:
Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky
The #Packers are learning toward signing TE Colt Lyerla but are still discussing it, according to a source.

ALSO, CHECK THIS OUT from September> http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ctions/page/27
Old 05-18-2014, 04:39 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

ESPN had written an article about this time yesterday speculating they were leaning towards not signing him and that's what I based my comment off of...I'm glad it's moving in the direction of yes

Old 05-18-2014, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

I do think Green Bay is the best case scenario for him. Small town to stick his head down and focus on football.

Well see. Just having a one time cocaine habit and having a mini meltdown that didn't involve harming anyone isn't enough for me to write a person off. Some of my best friends have gone through that and are now absolutely stellar human beings.

And frankly, he was being under utilized at Oregon. He was a TD machine but they refused to give him touches. It had to be frustrating as hell for a 20 year old.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:28 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think GB will sign him, not only for his ability but also to perhaps help the kid as far as steering his life back on track

they were very supportive of Jolly throughout his whole ordeal and even brought him back to the team last season. Packers are known for having a very good locker room environment with strong leaders. Give it a shot I say
Old 05-19-2014, 12:28 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

I would love it if we signed him and he turned into a good player for us. It would make me less secretly emo that we didn't take a shot at the now pretty-awesome Burfict.

I also think if we sign him to the 90 he's all but a lock for the 53. His talent isn't the issue and I highly doubt he's dumb enough to act up in the 2-3 months until roster cuts have finished. If we make the initial decision that we can deal with his off the field stuff, his on the field talent makes him an easy choice as one of our top 4 TEs. He's already a better version of what we've been trying to turn Bostick into. Let's not forget he was the best athlete at the TE spot at the combine; slightly slower than Ebron but blew him away in the other drills.

He might not have killed the bench press but the bench press is a weird one that I usually disregard; it has very little to do with football. Even when you lock up with a defender, you're using your leg power a lot more than your chest and I actually have no idea how anyone thinks the bench press translates well to football. The 40 and the Bench are the two worst drills they run but they're the two that are easiest to relate among the masses and that's why they get media attention.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 05-19-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:21 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

We signed Colt

Old 05-19-2014, 06:16 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice. Dude is getting a huge opportunity. Starting TE spot is there for the taking and he has the best tools of the bunch currently on the team

Hope things work out, both for the team and for Colt.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:16 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

86 Bostick, Brandon
46 Lyerla, Colt
81 Quarless, Andrew
89 Rodgers, Richard
85 Stoneburner, Jake
82 Taylor, Ryan

The top six tight ends in the camp: which four do we end up keeping?

Old 05-19-2014, 07:54 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The top four on that list.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:01 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Taylor is a great special teams player though. Does the team pass on him for less dimensional players?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:05 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Taylor is a great special teams player though. Does the team pass on him for less dimensional players?
I was thinking about that. Guess it depends how the other guys do on special teams. Taylor is still kind of one dimensional, though. His only dimension is special teams.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:28 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

I would say Quarless and Rodgers (yuck) are the locks to make the team. If Colt stays out of trouble throughout training camp I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't make the team and we wouldn't be able to stash him on the practice squad; someone would pick him up. Really that would leave a decision between Bostick and Taylor. If Colt screws up, then it becomes a much clearer picture.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
86 Bostick, Brandon
46 Lyerla, Colt
81 Quarless, Andrew
89 Rodgers, Richard
85 Stoneburner, Jake
82 Taylor, Ryan

The top six tight ends in the camp: which four do we end up keeping?
(Barring injuries)

TE Depth Chart come NFC Championship game at home vs. San Francisco

#86 LYERLA
#81 QUARLESS
#82 TAYLOR
#89 RODGERS (inactive)

Ryan Taylor makes the team due to his special teams work.
Bostick is released because Lyerla already is what we wanted him to be.

I'm thrilled by the signing.
This guy is almost on par with the Lions reach-first round pick. They took their TE so high, it partly is the reason Ha Ha slid into our laps.

And we got the WR's we needed.
All we missed was the ILB we wanted, but I think we're okay there, and maybe Barrington or one of the UFA ILB's steps up.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:54 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

I don't think they'll let Bostick go. He's got athleticism and ability. Lyerla may be able to provide that already but the guy is 1 screw-up away from getting the boot most likely. Don't want to lose a player like Bostick and go all-in on Lyerla. Need that insurance policy

Taylor is the one who I think will go. The ST work won't be enough to save him when there are other talented TE's who just offer more
Old 05-20-2014, 06:42 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
I don't think they'll let Bostick go. He's got athleticism and ability. Lyerla may be able to provide that already but the guy is 1 screw-up away from getting the boot most likely. Don't want to lose a player like Bostick and go all-in on Lyerla. Need that insurance policy

Taylor is the one who I think will go. The ST work won't be enough to save him when there are other talented TE's who just offer more
Agree. For Lyerla to make it he'll have to show he can fill Taylor's ST duties. Quarless is our most experienced TE. They've put a lot of time into developing Bostick and it is just starting to pay off. Rodgers was 3rd round pick so he'd have to stink in camp to get cut.

I like Stoneburner as a seam splitter but I think he needs more time on the PS. Did he burn his eligibility last season?