Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 23 48.94%
I love it 32 68.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
cuzifelt1ikeit
Veteran

cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead10790
Quote:
As for backup QB's, if the Bucs are serious about Jeff Garcia as competition for Chris Simms the Packers should make an offer towards Tim Rattay (this assuming Favre retires of course). Damon Huard will be available as well, but I think Rattay is a better fit for a pure WCO and would provide decent veteran competition for Rogers.
Im not even a huge Aaron Rodgers fan but Id rather start Rodgers than Rattay or Huard. If he is the QB of the future than he needs to get the starts asap.
Understood, but you'll need a veteran insurance policy regardless. If Rogers is a major flop, it would be unwise to give him 16 games to struggle out there, especially considering most Packers fans think they have realistic playoff aspirations, correct or not.
correct. we came close this year with another healthy draft and free agency period i say we can sneak in because we sit in the nfc north

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigNall4MVP
biigest mistake packers ever make was geting rid of craig nall he beter then bret faver
cuzifelt1ikeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:04 PM    (permalink
70challenger457

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzifelt1ikeit
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead10790
Quote:
As for backup QB's, if the Bucs are serious about Jeff Garcia as competition for Chris Simms the Packers should make an offer towards Tim Rattay (this assuming Favre retires of course). Damon Huard will be available as well, but I think Rattay is a better fit for a pure WCO and would provide decent veteran competition for Rogers.
Im not even a huge Aaron Rodgers fan but Id rather start Rodgers than Rattay or Huard. If he is the QB of the future than he needs to get the starts asap.
Understood, but you'll need a veteran insurance policy regardless. If Rogers is a major flop, it would be unwise to give him 16 games to struggle out there, especially considering most Packers fans think they have realistic playoff aspirations, correct or not.
correct. we came close this year with another healthy draft and free agency period i say we can sneak in because we sit in the nfc north
I wouldn't mind having someone like jake plummer
Old 01-28-2007, 06:13 PM    (permalink
70challenger457

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9949904
the packers lead the leauge in starts by rookies
Old 01-28-2007, 06:19 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont know if this was posted here but check this out http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=4186 I doubt TT would want to draft Lynch now but it could be an ex-girlfriend looking for some cash.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:26 PM    (permalink
70challenger457

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN
I dont know if this was posted here but check this out http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=4186 I doubt TT would want to draft Lynch now but it could be an ex-girlfriend looking for some cash.
I really hope it all blows over
Old 01-28-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
badgerfan
Rookie

badgerfan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Here is my ultimate offseason for the Packers. I tried to make it as realistic as possible. First off, i would try to trade both Franks and Clifton. They could both be had for a 3 or 4 round pick.
Free Agents:
Eric Johnson, TE. He would immediately come in and be our starter
Eric Steinback, LG. He would come in and start in place of Colledge who could move to tackle and replace Clifton.
Jamar Fletcher, Cb. Would come in and add depth to the corner position. Would replace dendy as the 3rd corner.
Resign:
Ahman Green. He can still run. He could pair with a young back.
David Martin. He is an ok 2nd TE.
Cullen Jenkins. He could be a good DE to take over for KGB.
Nick Barnett. What do i need to say?
Corey Williams. An emerging force in the middle.
Draft: I don't think Ginn or Lynch will be available at pick 16. I also can't see the packers drafting a CB this high. The packers are high on corey williams and cullen jenkins so i don't see them taking a DT here. Trading down would be the most logical choice so they can add more picks.
1. Brandon Merriwhether, CB/S. (Can play both CB and S for the packers much the same way a stud named leroy butler did. He could take the FS spot and move Collins to SS. At the very least, he could be the nickel back.)
2. Tony Hunt, Rb. (would fit in nicely as a ZBS back who can also catch)
2. Craig Davis, Wr. (Tall and fast. can stretch the field. Future number 2 wideout.)
3. Anthony Spensor, DE. (Jenkins wants a lot of money and the packers aren't assured of getting him back. He could spllit time with KGB and eventually be his replacement.)
4. Martrez Miler, TE. (competes for 2nd Te and possible future starter.)
5. Brandon Frye, T. (gives us more depth. Possible future starter when Tausher starts to decline.)
6. Garrett Wolfe, Rb. (good 3rd Rb who would be better than herron)
7. Jeff Rowe, Qb. (competes with martin for number 3)

This draft upgrades ouor secondary and pass rush. Also, we land our feature back who will pair with Green for a year and takeover in 2008. We also land a speed receiver who can be a future number two receiver. This draft hits most of our keey needs. I know that everyone has their favorite prospects but i feel that this offseason would go a long way to bringing the packers back to their previous glory. What do you guys think?
badgerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To be honest I don't like the draft at all. FA wasn't that great either. Yeah, Clifton's declining but he still plays well enough. We wouldn't not be able to get equal value through a trade either.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:11 PM    (permalink
PackerFan20

I like Wolfe but doubt he'll fall that far.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:22 PM    (permalink
70challenger457

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4
I like Wolfe but doubt he'll fall that far.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You think you could get a 3rd or 4th rounder for Bubba Franks!?!?!?!

Oh that's ******* hilarious.

I wouldn't give up a sack of doorknobs. His career as a starter in the NFL is done.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:27 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Oh that's *********** hilarious.

I wouldn't give up a sack of doorknobs. His career as a starter in the NFL is done.
Were not getting anything for him. We will keep him to be an extra blocker though.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:28 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12
Quote:

Were not getting anything for him. We will keep him to be an extra blocker though.
Doesn't he have a pretty sizeable contract? I don't think he's worth paying just to block. You can get anyone to do that.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Doesn't he have a pretty sizeable contract? I don't think he's worth paying just to block. You can get anyone to do that.
He got a 7 year $28million contract in '05 so I think the cap hit would be too big to release him.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:34 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

To be fair, BF51 was the same person who said Ahman Green was no longer a starter:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johbur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks, Sox and Bears o my
Ha you said Taylor could be good.
Ben Taylor? In a full 16 games last year he posted 113 tackles. I'm not sure exactly what you want from your LBs, but I'll take 100 tackles anyday, especially since he'll be the strong side OLB.
Have you seen any film on him? Ben Taylor sucks. He gets pushed back so much and is terrible in coverage. There's a reason why the Browns wanted to replace him, he's not very good.

I would say the Packers two biggest needs are a new franchise running back and an impact defensive tackle. Ahman Green is done as done can be, and while Gado is decent, he's upgradeable. I keep hearing that the Packers have a nice "rotation" of defensive tackles but none of them are in the slightest way scary. The Bears rotate a lot too but they still have impact players like Tommie Harris, Tank Johnson, and soon to be Dusty Dvorachek.

Other than that, I think the Pack had a decent foundation for the future if Rodgers is the answer at QB. One thing to note is that some of their impact players beyond just Favre and Green are getting older. Donald Driver is 31, Al Harris is 31, and Charles Woodson, while 29, is always hurt. They'll need other people to step up and take the load off them at some point.

...but, I happen to agree with him on Bubba Franks. The best thing we could do with him is resurrect the U-71 formation, and then proceed to rename it the U-88 formation.
ny10804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:36 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny10804
To be fair, BF51 was the same person who said Ahman Green was no longer a starter:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ben Taylor? In a full 16 games last year he posted 113 tackles. I'm not sure exactly what you want from your LBs, but I'll take 100 tackles anyday, especially since he'll be the strong side OLB.
Have you seen any film on him? Ben Taylor sucks. He gets pushed back so much and is terrible in coverage. There's a reason why the Browns wanted to replace him, he's not very good.

I would say the Packers two biggest needs are a new franchise running back and an impact defensive tackle. Ahman Green is done as done can be, and while Gado is decent, he's upgradeable. I keep hearing that the Packers have a nice "rotation" of defensive tackles but none of them are in the slightest way scary. The Bears rotate a lot too but they still have impact players like Tommie Harris, Tank Johnson, and soon to be Dusty Dvorachek.

Other than that, I think the Pack had a decent foundation for the future if Rodgers is the answer at QB. One thing to note is that some of their impact players beyond just Favre and Green are getting older. Donald Driver is 31, Al Harris is 31, and Charles Woodson, while 29, is always hurt. They'll need other people to step up and take the load off them at some point.

...but, I happen to agree with him on Bubba Franks.
Well I also said that same thing about Bubba Franks before last season, and you all whined at me for that too.

So it looks like everyone is 50/50. Although I wouldn't be suprised at all if they let Green go and Morency was the back of the future (another move that I had a hard time convincing any Packers fan was a good one because you all had hard-ons for Samkon Gado).

Oh..and I was right about Ben Taylor too. Dude sucks ass.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:43 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny10804

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

...but, I happen to agree with him on Bubba Franks.
Well I also said that same thing about Bubba Franks before last season, and you all whined at me for that too.

So it looks like everyone is 50/50. Although I wouldn't be suprised at all if they let Green go and Morency was the back of the future (another move that I had a hard time convincing any Packers fan was a good one because you all had hard-ons for Samkon Gado).

Oh..and I was right about Ben Taylor too. Dude sucks ass.
Yea, it's pretty bad when you get beat out by a second year player who once spent two years on a Mormon mission to South America, tore his ACL in his first start of his career, and 'earned' your spot 2 weeks after returning from an injury that typically takes 2 months longer to heal from. Taylor is balls.
ny10804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:52 AM    (permalink
RockJock07
Rookie

RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.

Badger fan, I really like your off-season plan. Clifton doesn't fit the ZBS and is getting old. I'd trade him and pick up Joe Staley to play tackle or guard.

If this Lynch thing doesn't blow over I wouldn't be opposed to trading down and picking up Michael Bush in the 2nd round.

I think New England is the team that is going to be trying to move up, with two 1st round picks they have the goods to move.

Sidesider for life, Go White Sox
RockJock07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:13 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think about Rayner? wanna keep him or go after some one else?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:18 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
IMO, we need to bring someone to battle with him because im not sold on him. Do you guys want to go to the playoffs with him as ur kicker? kickers win u games and I dont think Rayner can, I like that kicker thats coming in the draft. He played in cold weather.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:20 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07
Badger fan, I really like your off-season plan. Clifton doesn't fit the ZBS and is getting old. I'd trade him and pick up Joe Staley to play tackle or guard.

If this Lynch thing doesn't blow over I wouldn't be opposed to trading down and picking up Michael Bush in the 2nd round.

I think New England is the team that is going to be trying to move up, with two 1st round picks they have the goods to move.
if were sitting at 16 and NE calls and wants our 16 pick and offers there 2 frist i hope tt takes the deal. With the frist pick we can take Griffin and with the second possible trade down for more picks or take Hunt or Bowe but i like Bowe more. Do you guys think Walker ( ND RB ) could fit in our scheme? He reminds me alot of that guy on ATL.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:27 AM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i like him. he played terribly in the Bears game, but i think he'll be good. he's showed he can make some long kicks, the only question is he's not consistent.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:23 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07

if were sitting at 16 and NE calls and wants our 16 pick and offers there 2 frist i hope tt takes the deal.
Ever heard of a value chart? Get real.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 AM    (permalink
70challenger457

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope
Quote:
i like him. he played terribly in the Bears game, but i think he'll be good. he's showed he can make some long kicks, the only question is he's not consistent.
I think we chould stick with him
Old 01-29-2007, 10:40 AM    (permalink
nbarnett56
Veteran

nbarnett56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Definetly bring in competition. Making 74.3% of your FGs is not a good number to carry around. I want to see at least an 80% FG kicker. Then missing that PAT against the Bears just showed how shaky he can be. Can we rely on him when we really need him?

I think thats the real question. I like his leg but the accuracy needs to start improving.
nbarnett56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:43 AM    (permalink
nbarnett56
Veteran

nbarnett56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
He got a 7 year $28million contract in '05 so I think the cap hit would be too big to release him.
Franks only makes $1,400,000 million this year. Next year at 3,000,000 is when it starts to get expensive. He is due $5,000,000 million in 2009 and 2010. Then he is due $5,500,000 million in 2011.

The biggest problem is that he has $7 million in guaranteed. I think that after the 2007-08 season he will be gone.
nbarnett56 is offline   Reply With Quote