Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favre4
ted ginn wouldnt excite you at 16
no, i don't want Tedd Ginn. he's an exciting player, but i don't think we should get him.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:42 AM    (permalink
4pAc
Pro Bowler

4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lynch
Olsen or Miller
A safety prospect (Rouse?, Johnson?)

I think that's pretty realistic.

Sig by Darnik44two

Lord Favre Is Immortal
4pAc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:23 AM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pAc
Lynch
Olsen or Miller

that would be a great draft

Old 01-30-2007, 08:50 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pAc
Lynch
Olsen or Miller

ROUSE!!!! WOOOOOOO
Old 01-30-2007, 09:58 AM    (permalink
nbarnett56
Veteran

nbarnett56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What do you think the Packers are going to do in the offseason?

Our notable free agents after the season:

RB Ahmad Green
TE David Martin
TE Donald Lee
DE/DT Cullen Jenkins
DT Colin Cole
LB Ben Taylor
CB Patrick Dendy
LS Rob Davis

Notable potential cuts:

LT Chad Clifton
RT Mark Tauscher
TE Bubba Franks
FB William Henderson
DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila
SS Marquand Manuel

Players that might get contract extentions:

CB Al Harris
LB Nick Barnett

************************************************** ******************************

Starting with our own free agents, we could potentially resign Green for a 2-3 year contract. He still has the skills but IMO we really need to start searching for his successor. Green is a good asset running and receiving so adding another RB could prolong his career while our successor develops.

Time to let go of David Martin. He never worked out and his injuries are an annual occurence. Donald Lee hasn't really been involved much in the offense this year like he was last season. That might affect his decision on wether to stay or not. Personally I'd like to resign him because he is a solid backup who has good speed. If Franks gets cut, Lee and Martin could make a good downfield tandum.

Cullen Jenkins played well in place of KGB for the final 3 games of the season. He has really shown us that he is capable of playing in this league. He is a restricted free agent so its a very high chance he will be back but is he the long term solution? He can play DT as well which is a big bonus. We do have good depth though with Corey Williams, Ryan Pickett, Johnny Jolly, and if they resign Colin Cole. I'd like to bring Cole back because he is still pretty cheap.

Ben Taylor never got much playing time here, which was why he signed here in free agency. He very likely has no interest in coming back because of our LB situation doesn't present him much playing time - if any. We have a great young group of guys at LB, but we really need depth in case something happens.

Patrick Dendy isn't anything real special, though he has played well at times. Hopefully Blackmon can stay healthy next year so we don't have to rely on guys like Dendy and Bush so much. After Woodson and Harris, we are thin at CB. Hopefully we draft at least 1 CB again this year. Maybe keep Dendy as the 4th or 5th CB.

Rob Davis is a notable free agent because he is the only player on the Packers roster that is a long snapper. Not a huge deal, but we still need someone who can fill that void next season.

As for the potential cuts, we have 2 high priced tackles who are entering their 30s. With the zone blocking scheme, we could plug in players and acheive the same effect. I find it hard to imagine that we pay both these guys top dollar for a scheme that uses undersized Olinemen. I think one of these guys will be cut though not this year. Most likely Clifton because he level of play has dropped off and injuries are becoming a common theme with him. Tauscher is cheaper and yet has only 2 years left on his contract, compared to Clifton's 3 years left.

Bubba Franks is 2 years into his 7 year contract extention and has not lived up to his contract. Granted we are using him more as a blocker, but when he's gotten his opportunites he has dropped passes and not produced. Will TT be so bold and cut him so soon after resigning him? I think he sticks around at least 1 more year and then gets cut.

The professional through in and through out is William Henderson. We resigned him for 2 years yet Brandon Miree has taken over his job. Though he wants to retire a Packer, he can still play and help another team. I'm suprised we didn't cut him sooner but I'd imagine that this is his last year in the green and gold. If not the end of his career after basically having a year off.

The once sack threat Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila appears to be no more. His production has dropped over the last few years and he continues to be a liability against the run. I think he's going to have to accept a pay cut in order to stay. But I can't imagine another team being very interested him if we cut or try to trade him. I like KGB, but he isn't getting it done anymore.

I was never high on the Marquand Manuel signing from the beggining. We basically payed him for what he did in a few regular season games last year along with his performace in the playoffs and Superbowl. He's pretty cheap the next 2 years, at $1.3 million per year. But I can see Tyrone Culver and Marviel Underwood giving him a run for the starting job next season.

Now for the potential contract extentions for Al Harris and Nick Barnett. TT has said that he is still going to build through the draft and not be as active in free agency like he was last year. With around $20-30 million in cap space, we can afford to give Al Harris a little boost in his salary and lock down Barnett. I feel both players are deserving of getting extentions and I'd imagine at least one will be done before training camp.

Our biggest needs going into next season are probably RB, CB, S, WR, QB, and depth on the Oline. Depending on Favre, I think that either way we need to find a veteran to bring in to challenge Rodgers, at the least. I'd like to see some fresh legs at RB as well. Green is on his last few years here so we really need to get a guy in here who could be a feature RB. Obviously we have big holes in the secondary. Lack of CB depth and our safetys really need to step up. Bring in some guys to challenge for jobs and what not. I believe we have the pieces in place along the Oline, but we lack depth. Especially at tackle.

Some way, some how we also need to find a more capable return man.
nbarnett56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:01 AM    (permalink
nbarnett56
Veteran

Nevermind about Rob Davis, we just resigned him to a 1 year deal

Quote:
Packers re-signed LB Rob Davis to a one-year contract. He'll earn an $820,000 salary in 2007 but counts just $435,000 against the cap. Davis, 38, has started 151 straight games for Green Bay.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:17 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see the packers cutting tausher or clifton.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:20 AM    (permalink
PacMan
Rookie

PacMan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
Yeah that's just tom-foolery.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Pack_Attack_4
Rookie

Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.

Quote:
i dont see them cutting them either, y would they?
Pack_Attack_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:45 AM    (permalink
nbarnett56
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack_Attack_4
Quote:
Cost. Look at the teams who run the zone blocking scheme. None of them have really high priced Olineman. The Packers have 2 of them. I didn't say they would get released this year but I could definetly see Clifton gone after this season.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:15 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarnett56
Quote:
Quote:
Cost. Look at the teams who run the zone blocking scheme. None of them have really high priced Olineman. The Packers have 2 of them. I didn't say they would get released this year but I could definetly see Clifton gone after this season.
I don't think cost is too big of an issue right now for the Pack, they have ton's of cap space and IMO they should hold on to both tackles untill their contract's run out and maybe even keep them for longer.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
nbarnett56
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by javon favre
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think cost is too big of an issue right now for the Pack, they have ton's of cap space and IMO they should hold on to both tackles untill their contract's run out and maybe even keep them for longer.
Clifton is decling and starting to become injury prone. Tauscher is starting to get nicked up as well. Saying that we have the money to keep both is just plain silly. We have the money to keep KGB, so why do the Packers want him to take a paycut? Its simple, you pay for the production - of which Clifton's is declining.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:51 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Clifton is decling and starting to become injury prone. Tauscher is starting to get nicked up as well. Saying that we have the money to keep both is just plain silly. We have the money to keep KGB, so why do the Packers want him to take a paycut? Its simple, you pay for the production - of which Clifton's is declining.
so what are you proposing ? spend 2 more draft picks on O-line this year and have an offensive line that dosen't have the capability to grow pubes?Now that's risky. Or maybe blow all the money in FA, novel idea too. The best solution is to keep the tackles around now and draft some one to groom for awhile in the later rounds of the draft . We have much bigger fish to fry than 0-line as of right now.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
so what are you proposing ? spend 2 more draft picks on O-line this year and have an offensive line that dosen't have the capability to grow pubes?Now that's risky. Or maybe blow all the money in FA, novel idea too. The best solution is to keep the tackles around now and draft some one to groom for awhile in the later rounds of the draft . We have much bigger fish to fry than 0-line as of right now.
My thoughts exactly!
Our tackles might be getting older but the are still a hell of a lot better than any rookie we could bring in. They are also still amongst the best in the league. Plus Clifton and Tauscher wernt super studs comming out of college. Clifton was a 2nd rounder and Tauscher was a 7th round... I say we take a couple in later rounds and groom them like TitleTown said
Old 01-30-2007, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Jim Jim
Veteran

Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.

We have major issues in our secondary, our running backs, defensive line and wide recievers...

I think we need to focus on those first.
Jim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jim
We have major issues in our secondary, our running backs, defensive line and wide recievers...

I think we need to focus on those first.
\
I agree with that, but i am actually starting to like our D-line with cullen and Kampy emerging. Add another Solid DT to that mix and we got a real solid D-line. This is why i am starting to warm up to a DT in the first round perhaps if most of the other guys i want are gone.

they get smoked.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:23 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=548275

henderson not hanging them up yet.

they get smoked.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:57 PM    (permalink
nbarnett56
Veteran

Quote:
We don't really have a backup tackle except for Tony Moll - and he is fairly new to the position. We still need depth and it wouldn't hurt to start getting some younger tackles ready. Clifton and Tauscher's contracts run out in 2-3 years and both are entering their 30s which is typically when Olineman start to decline. Both will be due around $5 million in 2008 as well. Why spend the money on older, declining players when we prepare for the future?

Read my original post again, I never said to cut any tackles this year. Try comprehending a post before replying to one next time. ;)
Old 01-30-2007, 06:05 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
We don't really have a backup tackle except for Tony Moll - and he is fairly new to the position. We still need depth and it wouldn't hurt to start getting some younger tackles ready. Clifton and Tauscher's contracts run out in 2-3 years.

Read my original post again, I never said to cut any tackles this year. Try comprehending a post before replying to one next time. ;)
We get Barry back aswell. He is a capaable backup. I think Moll will be a part of the future OL with Spitz, Colledge and Wells. We only need one more piece. We can take a guy on day 2, but it doesn't make sense to go earlier.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

Quote:

RB Ahmad Green give him another 1 year contract
TE David Martin resign
TE Donald Lee if we resign Martin, let Lee go
DE/DT Cullen Jenkins give him a long term contract
DT Colin Cole resign
LB Ben Taylor let him go
CB Patrick Dendy keep him, but look for another CB
LS Rob Davis already resigned, good move

Notable potential cuts:

LT Chad Clifton illogical to cut either tackle
RT Mark Tauscher illogical to cut either tackle
TE Bubba Franks if we are able to get rid of him without it costing us too much, then we should
FB William Henderson i'd like him back, although we don't really need him
DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila if we are able to get rid of him without it costing us too much, then we should
SS Marquand Manuel i'd say we keep him, but i think Underwood can sin the job

CB Al Harris definitely extend
LB Nick Barnett possibly extend
my comments in bold^

Old 01-30-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope
Quote:

TE David Martin resign
DT Colin Cole resign
LB Ben Taylor let him go

Notable potential cuts:

TE Bubba Franks if we are able to get rid of him without it costing us too much, then we should
DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila if we are able to get rid of him without it costing us too much, then we should

my comments in bold^
I'm the #1 Underwood supporter on here, but we still need to keep Manuel. Why would we let him go if he is still in contract?
Old 01-30-2007, 06:37 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope
Quote:

TE David Martin resign
DT Colin Cole resign
LB Ben Taylor let him go

Notable potential cuts:

my comments in bold^
I'm the #1 Underwood supporter on here, but we still need to keep Manuel. Why would we let him go if he is still in contract?
sorry. i miss worded that. i was trying to say that we should keep him, but Underwood will likely win the job from him and become the starter. i agree that there is no point in cutting him, we can keep him for a back-up

Old 01-30-2007, 06:39 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

I was disagreeing with the original poster and agreeing with you.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:42 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12
I was disagreeing with the original poster and agreeing with you.
ok, just got a little confused

Old 01-30-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Jim Jim
Veteran

Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.

Day One Green Bay mock.

First Round Selection: Marshawn Lynch, RB, California.

[ Gives the team an explosive young runner to team along with Vernand Morency in the ZBS. ]

Second Round Selection: Aaron Rouse, Safety, Virgina Tech.

[ Gives the team an excellent safety prospect who can hit, and hit, and hit. An intimidator in the secondary. ]

Third Round Selection: Johnnie Lee Higgins, WR, UTEP.

[ Gives the team a speedy player who has reliable hands and can finally give us a young, explosive returner. ]
Jim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote