Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Like I said, I don't care about your rankings. I just think your understanding of how their careers were successful is a little misunderstood.
Their careers were incredibly successful... I don't get what you are trying to argue. I say Montana is better than Young. I just say Montana had a much, much better supporting cast than Elway, Favre, and Marino.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:42 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Favre should be higher and i cant respect any list that doesnt have Unitas at 1 or 2

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1.Johnny U
2.Joe Montana
3.Brett Favre
4.Dan Marino
5.Tom Brady
6.Sammy Baugh
7.Roger Staubach
8.Peyton Manning
9.John Elway
10.Steve Young

My list.

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's my list:

1. Joe Montana
2. Brett Favre
3. Peyton Manning
4. Tom Brady
5. John Elway
6. Roger Staubach
7. Dan Marino
8. Johnny Unitas
9. Steve Young
10. Bart Starr

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:10 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
Their careers were incredibly successful... I don't get what you are trying to argue. I say Montana is better than Young. I just say Montana had a much, much better supporting cast than Elway, Favre, and Marino.
That the system can only do so much to a player's potential. The other parts have to due with have a good supporting cast, and the quarterback themselves being able to make good, accurate throws. Montana had a pretty good cast, but it wasn't until his later years that they were all superstars. In his first two Super Bowls, his cast didn't include anyone that notable. On the offensive side at least. They were good players, but it wasn't like the Greatest Show on Turf or anything.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 02-12-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:24 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
That the system can only do so much to a player's potential. The other parts have to due with have a good supporting cast, and the quarterback themselves being able to make good, accurate throws. Montana had a pretty good cast, but it wasn't until his later years that they were all superstars. In his first two Super Bowls, his cast didn't include anyone that notable. On the offensive side at least. They were good players, but it wasn't like the Greatest Show on Turf or anything.
And his stats weren't like the GSoT either.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:43 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Can Manning create something out of nothing like Favre and Elway?
Go back to the Colts @ Pats game of 05, Colts 1st drive, 3rd and long (I want to say 3rd and 10). Manning drops, Pats bring heavy pressure and collapse the pocket. Manning rolls to his left, buying just enough time to plant his feet and heave the ball downfield into the waiting arms of Marvin Harrison for a 25+ yard gain. IMO it's the best play of Peyton Manning's career to this point.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:54 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And his stats weren't like the GSoT either.
I don't care about statistics all too much. For a quarterback, it's not really a true reflection of a person's abilities. Especially in a team sport. Montana's stats aren't the greatest of all time, but his resolve in my opinion is hard to match. Especially in the playoffs.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
I would take the 02 Patriots supporting cast over the 95 Packers. Plus Tom Brady had 28 TDs, Favre had 38.
What does that tell you exactly other than the fact that in 2002, it only took 28 TD's to lead the NFL? Not much...
Old 02-12-2008, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Go back to the Colts @ Pats game of 05, Colts 1st drive, 3rd and long (I want to say 3rd and 10). Manning drops, Pats bring heavy pressure and collapse the pocket. Manning rolls to his left, buying just enough time to plant his feet and heave the ball downfield into the waiting arms of Marvin Harrison for a 25+ yard gain. IMO it's the best play of Peyton Manning's career to this point.
I think he meant consistantly... not just one play...
Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
What does that tell you exactly other than the fact that in 2002, it only took 28 TD's to lead the NFL? Not much...
That he didn't do more with less...
Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Ok, one play. Now think of all the times Favre or Elway made something out of nothing. For Favre, you need to go back no farther than the Seahawks game. Remember that little shuffle pass? When he escaped from pressure and underhanded the ball to his receiver? Could Manning do that? Could Brady do that?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Quote:
That he didn't do more with less...
Well if 28 TD's led the league... I am sure it was just a good year for defenses. I am sure there was someone out there in 2002 with a ridiculously good WR corps, and they didn't have more than 38 TD passes either...
Old 02-12-2008, 02:29 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well if 28 TD's led the league... I am sure it was just a good year for defenses. I am sure there was someone out there in 2002 with a ridiculously good WR corps, and they didn't have more than 38 TD passes either...
The only point I was making is that he didn't do more with less. Favre led the league in TDs with arguably a worse receiving corp, AND he had 10 more TD passes.

With a quick glance through the stats from that year, I didn't find a single team with an outstanding, much less ridiculously good WR corp.

The Ram's was pretty good, but they had 3 starting QBs that year.

Last edited by someone447 : 02-12-2008 at 02:31 PM.
someone447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The only point I was making is that he didn't do more with less. Favre led the league in TDs with arguably a worse receiving corp, AND he had 10 more TD passes.
Stop with the nonsense that he had worse receivers. Robert Brooks almost had more yards receiving then the Pats #1 and #2 receivers combined in 2002. Erik Kramer also had 28 TD passes that year, and Scott Mitchell had 32. There were also 10 receivers that had 10 or more TD's that year, as opposed to 4 in 2002. It was a better year for passing in 1995. You can not compare the two seasons.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:04 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Stop with the nonsense that he had worse receivers. Robert Brooks almost had more yards receiving then the Pats #1 and #2 receivers combined in 2002.
You think Robert Brooks is better than Troy Brown? Brooks was the only receiver Favre had to throw to. That is why he had so many more yards.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Yes, he was better than Troy Brown when both were healthy. Especially in 1995 vs. 2002. He absolutely decimated Brown in every category those years. And again, the Patriots had THREE guys catch over 400 yards in 2002, the Packers had FIVE in 1995.

You can look at names like Deion Branch and David Givens all you want and claim that makes the Patriots receivers better, but David Givens had 9 receptions that year and Deion Branch averaged 37 yards a game. They were rookies. The Packers were a much better team in 1995 and the league was a much better passing league in 1995.

You can not compare the two seasons.