Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-29-2008, 11:30 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It sounds more like Turner is coming to visit...may actually be in town today...so that's good.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

edit sorry don't know how this ended up here
Old 02-29-2008, 03:05 PM    (permalink
catcher_0_3
Rookie

catcher_0_3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I see there is already some Micheal Turner news from John Clayton, but he just said on ESPN that the Falcons appear to be the team in the lead to get him. I wouldn't mind him and Jerious in the backfield. That would mean we wouldn't be taking DMC, which with this scenario I would be ok with. I just hope we would then either take Jake Long, or trade out.
catcher_0_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:09 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would loveeeee Michael Turner. He is only 25, so he could actually furfill his contract if it was five to seven years. He reminds me of Jonathan Stewart, deceptively good speed for his size, powerful, low center of gravity runner.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be happy if we didn't pay too much for Turner. Because as much as I love McFadden, it would mean a cut back for Norwood..who I like.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michael Turner and Josh Brown would be enough to satisfy me.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:32 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I would love that as well, but we also need a DB, LB depth, and some sort of offensive lineman. Randal Ga* (CB), Kirk Morrison (SLB, MLB), and Maurice Williams (RT, RG) would be perfect. A pass rusher like Travis Laboy would be nice but I won't be picky.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:36 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post

Where is the Josh Brown stuff coming from? I heard KC...
Old 02-29-2008, 04:57 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I would love that as well, but we also need a DB, LB depth, and some sort of offensive lineman. Randal Ga* (CB), Kirk Morrison (SLB, MLB), and Maurice Williams (RT, RG) would be perfect. A pass rusher like Travis Laboy would be nice but I won't be picky.
Morrison is a FA? We should get on that ****.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:06 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

it was in the same article.

What would Javon Walker require $$$ wise? He'd be nice opposite Roddy...
Old 02-29-2008, 05:13 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Morrison is a FA? We should get on that ****.
Whoa I meant Danny Clark haha.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:15 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
it was in the same article.

What would Javon Walker require $$$ wise? He'd be nice opposite Roddy...
He left Green Bay and Denver because he wanted to be a number one receiver. He is not for us.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:26 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
We've contacted Josh Brown (woohoo, finally a proper kicker!), and "tried" to persuade Michael Turner to visit, according to Clayton on ESPN.com. Whether we succeeded in that persuasion is not quite clear.

I REALLY hope that we don't overpay Turner, but he and Norwood together would be a fabulous combo.

That said, we are then not taking advantage of this draft's best attribute, its depth at RB...

I don't want Wilson, especially at that price. He's really a SS, not a FS, in my view.

Also, NOT happy to see the Saints pick up Vilma, and only for a conditional pick!!
Wohoo we have a meeting with Turner, he has been my #1 F/A target for months and months! I really hope he signs.

D Rod, while on the face of it we may not seem to be taking advantage of the deep running back class if you look deeper its not totally true.

While this is a very deep class, if you go outside the 1st round (which we all agree, we shouldnt draft a RB in the 1st with this many needs) there are only 3 guys in the entire draft that would fit what we need, Kev Smith, Matt Forte and Tarshard Choice the rest of this "deep class" are more Jerious Norwood type backs.

On a slightly seperate topic i would just like to put this out there. After watching football for a fair few years now i am really confident in my belief that Michael Turner, Jonathan Stewart and to a lesser extent Tarshard Choice are the type of power running backs you want on your team. While your back needs power and size he must also be short, shifty and still look like a running back when he has the ball. Tall 250lb+ guys like Brandan Jacobs and TJ Duckett, while being able to run over people, just dont cut it on a every down basis with their lack of agility, it is kinda like putting an 300lb OT at running back and saying he is a power back just because he is big. Backs still need to be compact and elusive to make best use of their power, see MJD and Marion Barber (both <220lbs). It is for this reason that have no doubt that Michael Turner (and also but maybe to a lesser extent a guy like Jonathan Stewart or Marion Barber) is the absolute perfect compliment to Jerious Norwood and just what we need at the power running back position
Old 02-29-2008, 05:30 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftMichaelHuff View Post
Wohoo we have a meeting with Turner, he has been my #1 F/A target for months and months! I really hope he signs.

D Rod, while on the face of it we may not seem to be taking advantage of the deep running back class if you look deeper its not totally true.

While this is a very deep class, if you go outside the 1st round (which we all agree, we shouldnt draft a RB in the 1st with this many needs) there are only 3 guys in the entire draft that would fit what we need, Kev Smith, Matt Forte and Tarshard Choice the rest of this "deep class" are more Jerious Norwood type backs.

On a slightly seperate topic i would just like to put this out there. After watching football for a fair few years now i am really confident in my belief that Michael Turner, Jonathan Stewart and to a lesser extent Tarshard Choice are the type of power running backs you want on your team. While your back needs power and size he must also be short, shifty and still look like a running back when he has the ball. Tall 250lb+ guys like Brandan Jacobs and TJ Duckett, while being able to run over people, just dont cut it on a every down basis with their lack of agility, it is kinda like putting an 300lb OT at running back and saying he is a power back just because he is big. Backs still need to be compact and elusive to make best use of their power, see MJD and Marion Barber (both <220lbs). It is for this reason that have no doubt that Michael Turner (and also but maybe to a lesser extent a guy like Jonathan Stewart or Marion Barber) is the absolute perfect compliment to Jerious Norwood and just what we need at the power running back position
Tashard Choice is tall for a runningback at almost 6'0".

Old 02-29-2008, 05:33 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Tashard Choice is tall for a runningback at almost 6'0".
He measured in short at the combine, 5"10-5"11, i thought. But in any event, i was eluding to your 6"2-6"4 230lb + guys that, say 2-3 years ago, i would of probably said would be a better compliment to the 5"11 205lbs speedster we have now.

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 02-29-2008 at 05:36 PM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:35 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
He measured in short at the combine, 5"10-5"11, of thought
I reckon, but I still don't think he fits the mold of Jonthan Stewart or Michael Turner.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:11 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

Quote:
I reckon, but I still don't think he fits the mold of Jonthan Stewart or Michael Turner.
Oh definately, hence the "to a lesser extent". Normally when you mention powerbacks and omit Tarshard Choice the next post is someone saying "dont forget Tarshard Choice".

Shaun Rodgers went for a 3rd and a 5th to the Bengals, Kris Jenkins went for a 3rd and a 5th to the Jets. Both these guys have been healthier than Marcus Stroud over the past few season. We need to the draft pic depth so ill average it out, if we can trade a

4th for DT Marcus Stroud OR
4th and 7th for DT Marcus Stroud OR
4th and Kynan Forney for DT Marcus Stoud

While we look like we are ripping them off, its quite realistic considering what has happened today so far.

Then say we draft like this

1. Jake Long
2. Dre Moore
2. Joe Flacco

BAM, we'd have Long plowing lanes for Turner and Norwood and our version of the J'Ville D Line with Dre Moore and Marcus Stroud both 6"4+ and 320+, spelled by Babs. We could sit Flacco for half or all of this season, let him play limited snaps and just hand it off the two heading RB machine, something we look prepared to do seeing as we re-signed Redmen to a TWO year deal. My head may explode!

Other possible targets

DE Bobby McRay- Obviously linked to the coach DL coach- 3rd down pass rusher
NT Grady Jackson-Our DTs would be downright scary now
DE Javon Kease- If he is cheap
OG/OT Maurice Williams - Comes in after playing great at RG last year, Allows us to cut Forney and we are now versitile with Clabo and him. Mike would of seen him holding his own at practise against Stoud and Henderson

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 02-29-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:33 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6aPPuuPeCc

I know he's not a Falcon at this point, but I really hope that he can become one...I'd love to hear that we sign him to 5 years 18 mil bonus something like that...
Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6aPPuuPeCc

I know he's not a Falcon at this point, but I really hope that he can become one...I'd love to hear that we sign him to 5 years 18 mil bonus something like that...
18 million bonus or 18 million in 5 years?

The guy is going to command some big money.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:45 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Oh, and that first run (against the Bills) almost gave me a stiffy.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:46 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Ok, we need this kid. Now. We need him. Holy **** he runs over people.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:16 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

So I take it thats the first time you have seen that vid lol. Yeah the guy is an animal, and he runs a 4.4 40. He has massive potential. When i watch him play its like the opponents are trying to tackle a boulder, His centre of gravity is amazingly low. Look at his catch on the flat route in the middle of the vid and then contrast it to Reggie Bush's catch on the flat against the Eagles in the playoffs last year. Norwood is built like Bush so its kind of a good measure as to the upgrade in power that we will be getting here.

I think we will overpay for this guy, hopefully not too much, but the staff know how good of a fit he is. The only thing we have on our side is that he can start, hopefully that excites him enough to forgo a few extra mil.

WOW and guess what, we have began negotiations with RG/RT Maurice Williams, I'm going well so far, most of my targets Dimitroffs targets too ;)

Now Mr Dimitroff, lets see if you can rip off the Jag's in a trade for Stroud

EDIT
Ok to save you all from having to troll through the 90% crap thats on the OAFMB i have found two encouraging things. PFT is reporting we are now negotiating a contract with Turner (according to a legit sounding poster over there) AND a NFL network guy says he wants about 5-6mil a year, basically only a bit more than what Warrick Dunn Gets

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 02-29-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:57 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
18 million bonus or 18 million in 5 years?

The guy is going to command some big money.
5 years...18 million bonus...I don't know why that was confusing, but there ya go.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:08 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
So I take it thats the first time you have seen that vid lol. Yeah the guy is an animal, and he runs a 4.4 40. He has massive potential. When i watch him play its like the opponents are trying to tackle a boulder, His centre of gravity is amazingly low. Look at his catch on the flat route in the middle of the vid and then contrast it to Reggie Bush's catch on the flat against the Eagles in the playoffs last year. Norwood is built like Bush so its kind of a good measure as to the upgrade in power that we will be getting here.

I think we will overpay for this guy, hopefully not too much, but the staff know how good of a fit he is. The only thing we have on our side is that he can start, hopefully that excites him enough to forgo a few extra mil.

WOW and guess what, we have began negotiations with RG/RT Maurice Williams, I'm going well so far, most of my targets Dimitroffs targets too ;)

Now Mr Dimitroff, lets see if you can rip off the Jag's in a trade for Stroud

EDIT
Ok to save you all from having to troll through the 90% crap thats on the OAFMB i have found two encouraging things. PFT is reporting we are now negotiating a contract with Turner (according to a legit sounding poster over there) AND a NFL network guy says he wants about 5-6mil a year, basically only a bit more than what Warrick Dunn Gets

It's probably still too much, but I think it's a good deal just to get him on board.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

WHAT?!?! We're in contact talks?! Are you SERIOUS? That'd be A MIRACLE to land that kid, honestly I'd be SO excited, and I'd be clamoring for Jake Long...landing Williams+Turner would make our FA complete! Okay...well almost, I'd still like to take a run at Darryl Blackstock to replace Dmo, and we could let Brooking go, because with Boley, and Nicholas and Blackstock we'd be looking good!

I REALLY hope that PFT isn't just blowing smoke trying to get people to read, because that'd be a PARAMOUNT deal for the Falcons 5 years 35 million with 18 million in bonus money I think would EASILY be worth it for him, especially since it would mean we could wave goodbye to Warrick, then we'd have one HECK of a RB tandem.