Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 02-13-2008, 05:25 AM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Angelo looking at FA O-Lineman?

Bears | Team looking at Faneca
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:22:06 -0800

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears might have an interest in signing Pittsburgh Steelers OG Alan Faneca, who is scheduled to become a free agent this offseason.

Could it be??..Angelo running from O-Lineman in the draft yet again? ..NOWAY..lol

On another note I thought this was a good read. I'm hoping this comes to truth.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/footb...ear13a.article
Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ewww no, i dont like that they were talking about fred miller positively....hes gotta go. i dont care what he played through....

as for faneca, hes not going to be cheap. and in the main thread, i said about how i dont like the idea of just bringing in another group of 30+ vets for another run. lets infuse some young talent on offense to match our defense and be a team that can be set for years to come

i do like that that mentioned drafting an OT high though...williams or otah would look sweet replacing miller on that right side short term. if they go that direction, i would concede one old FA guard to play next to them
Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 AM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope we cut Darwin Walker. With his 6.5mil cap hit next year gone we could at least Tag Berrian. I'm all for Marty Booker coming back and replacing Moose, I think he could still be a solid #2 for another year or 2.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe he wants to Sign a Vet and draft some OL later on, the OL Depth this year is good

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:48 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be fine with Booker coming back, at the right price. I assume that might lead to Muhammad getting cut. Now, if signing Booker means that we let Berrian go, then no. But if we can keep both and cut Muhammad, I'd be fine with that.

I'd rather not on Faneca, although if that makes Angelo feel more comfortable about drafting one OT early, then okay. Woudl rather pursue a Wahle.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Faneca would be fine for a couple years, but I'd rather go after Starks.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:34 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
Faneca would be fine for a couple years, but I'd rather go after Starks.
We would be in the same predicament that we are in this year, boo to Faneca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:37 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if i cant count on a guy for a decade, then hes not worth signing to a huge deal with tens of millions in bonuses. and thats what it would take to get faneca.

id rather go with starks too. i view tackle as a more vital position anyway...
Old 02-13-2008, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan View Post
We would be in the same predicament that we are in this year, boo to Faneca.
Faneca has at least 5 good seasons still in his future. And he should be able to play up to a pro bowl caliber for at least 2-3 more seasons.

However, Starks could be our RT for the next 10 years.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
if i cant count on a guy for a decade, then hes not worth signing to a huge deal with tens of millions in bonuses. and thats what it would take to get faneca.

id rather go with starks too. i view tackle as a more vital position anyway...
A decade? Are you kidding me? You can't count on the fact that the earth won't explode in a decade.

Most deals are structured in ways that if you can get 3-4 years out of value out of them you've done well.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:10 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
A decade? Are you kidding me? You can't count on the fact that the earth won't explode in a decade.

Most deals are structured in ways that if you can get 3-4 years out of value out of them you've done well.
well if you go into that negatively....jeez

you prepare for the worst but you always hope for the best. and the best would be younger guys in thier mid 20s who you can sign for a few years, have them work out well, and sign them to more on top of that after theyve proven themselves.

sure it doesnt happen much, but thats the ideal. and to just give up and say "hey, lets sign another batch of reuben browns and fred millers and have them play well for a year or two and then cut them" well....its insane
Old 02-13-2008, 09:38 PM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Want to fix the running game?

Sign Faneca.
Release Miller.

C - Kreutz
LG - Faneca
RG - Garza/Beekman
LT - John Tait
RT - Jeff Otah [first round]

Tait probably can handle the left side for another year.. Otah after a year of coaching should be able to handle the left side. Move Tait to the right side when he's ready.

As for Starks.. Our RT for the next 10 years? What? He started 4 games all year for Pittsburgh.. You have a lot of confidence in him and I'm not sure why.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:41 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
Want to fix the running game?

Sign Faneca.
Release Miller.

C - Kreutz
LG - Faneca
RG - Garza/Beekman
LT - John Tait
RT - Jeff Otah [first round]

Tait probably can handle the left side for another year.. Otah after a year of coaching should be able to handle the left side. Move Tait to the right side when he's ready.

As for Starks.. Our RT for the next 10 years? What? He started 4 games all year for Pittsburgh.. You have a lot of confidence in him and I'm not sure why.
if faneca wouldnt cost so much id accept that.....hes just going to be crazily expensive
Old 02-14-2008, 06:28 AM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
I'd be fine with Booker coming back, at the right price. I assume that might lead to Muhammad getting cut. Now, if signing Booker means that we let Berrian go, then no. But if we can keep both and cut Muhammad, I'd be fine with that.

I'd rather not on Faneca, although if that makes Angelo feel more comfortable about drafting one OT early, then okay. Woudl rather pursue a Wahle.
While I agree toons but you know as well as I do that JA's history is rearing its ugly head YET AGAIN. Will he finally go O-Line or will he tinker with vets to get the position taken care of...that is the magical question. I'm hoping Booker comes back with Muhammad getting the boot. He's not a bad WR but IMO Booker is a wr that should have never left this franchise in the first place. He will be welcomed with open arms back in Chicago. I think JA will go OT in the draft but again...as much as I wouldn't mind it JA just doesn't DO IT. I'm preferring RB in the 1st as stated and O-Line 2nd or 3rd.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:20 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

just because JA doesnt do something doesnt mean im ok with it. id like to get a franchise OT....

since that seems unlikely, i would like to see a trade down to get devin thomas. get a WR who had stud potential
Old 02-14-2008, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If this is the route we go again, I'll remember to say I told you so in a few years when our oline is even older, and even worse. We need to draft a left tackle, and at this point our oline will only get worse if we don't add some youth.

sig by VLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka View Post
If this is the route we go again, I'll remember to say I told you so in a few years when our oline is even older, and even worse. We need to draft a left tackle, and at this point our oline will only get worse if we don't add some youth.
Its like u guys saying Angelo is not going to draft any Oline...

Old 02-14-2008, 03:27 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
Its like u guys saying Angelo is not going to draft any Oline...
theres a difference between taking some scrubs in the 7th round and grabbing a potential franchise LT.

we could really really really use the latter more than the former...
Old 02-14-2008, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

I know, but tackle would be still a concern despite the fact we have Faneca right?

Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We aren't going to sign any free agent OT because there aren't any worth signing. Jordan Gross was the only one and he's going to be franchised. Max Starks isn't even good enough to start on his own team. I'm fully convinced that most of the people that want us to sign him have no idea who he is except that he's tall, big, and plays for the Steelers so he must be tough.

It's a good draft for tackles, we'll get one there.

Guard, on the other hand, is another question. I would really like Benji Olsen. He's only 27 and has proven to be a very good starter in the NFL. Alan Faneca would be good, but too expensive and I just don't see us being competitive in the next few years so I'm not sure what the point is. That said, if we aren't competitive for a few years Jerry and Lovie will be gone anyway, so I doubt they are thinking that way.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think 51 has it right: this year's first round pick for a tackle plus a free agent guard, and the Bears offensive line could immediately and greatly be improved for the better. Which would do a great deal for both the running game and the passing game.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

how can you say we're not going to be competitive? injuries to the defense plus some neglect (DT, S) hurt us bad last year.

running back is another place but sometimes that can be an easy quick fix with a guy who appears out of nowhere.

oline might be the most crucial situation right now though too...

and even if we're not competative, the coaching staff and front office needs to spin it in an intelligent way. look at jeff fischer in tennessee for instance. just a few years ago, after a series of runs where they came close, they had to gut their team due to cap reasons and age, rebuilt without ever actually admitting that they were rebuilding, and are now back in the playoffs and looking only to improve depending on VY
Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

We are weak at a lot of positions. We need to fix the quarterback position, the running game, the offensive line, we have questions at linebacker, and our safties are all unproven.

Add that all together and I don't see a playoff team next year, especially if we let Berrian walk.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

Matt Birk was a 7th rounder. You dont waste first round or huge contracts on guards. thats just not good management. you can easily get a guard who will do fine in the second third and fourth rounds who would improve the bears. First you need a runningback who reads holes and doesnt go full speed into the back of the O-linemen. (ala benson) then you need to not run every 1 and second down and pass on 3rd and long. And stop wasting 1st round draft picks on defense. and start addressing the tackle position,. Im a viking fan and I hate the fact we blew alot of money on a freaking guard. there is one position you blow big money on TACKLE
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:35 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Ego View Post
Matt Birk was a 7th rounder. You dont waste first round or huge contracts on guards. thats just not good management. you can easily get a guard who will do fine in the second third and fourth rounds who would improve the bears. First you need a runningback who reads holes and doesnt go full speed into the back of the O-linemen. (ala benson) then you need to not run every 1 and second down and pass on 3rd and long. And stop wasting 1st round draft picks on defense. and start addressing the tackle position,. Im a viking fan and I hate the fact we blew alot of money on a freaking guard. there is one position you blow big money on TACKLE
The signing of Steve Hutchison was a good move for the Vikings, and it's not like Matt Birk is playing for cheap anymore.

If anyone, the Vikings have overpaid for McKinnie.