Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-13-2008, 07:19 AM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Jake Long?

I've been thinking about this for quite a while now, and our top needs are left tackle, quarterback, and running back IMO. We have the chance to get the best tackle in this draft with our first round pick, and no one is really talking about it. Do they realize how great of a leader Jake Long is? He has average footwork, and he might be projected as a right tackle to some, but if we needed to, we can move Weiner to left tackle because of how well he's done against the finesse ends last year especially against J. Peppers.

Long is huge, and I'm starting to wonder why we would draft someone like Ellis or Dorsey when we can draft a later round defensive tackle that we can bring up in the NFL behind a veteran like Grady Jackson. I'm talking about Red Bryant who seems to be able to develop into a very solid UT for a 4-3.

By the way, I realize there is already a topic on this on the next page of this sub-forum, but I didn't want to bump a two-month old topic. Admins and mods, feel free to combine this if you deem it necessary.
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:53 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Because the disparity between DT is greater than that for OT. This is the deepest OT draft in...ever...and you can find a franchise LT in the 2nd round maybe 3rd. But DTs aren't nearly as deep...Ellis #1 and Nicks #2 would be better than Long #1 and Moore #2
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 AM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually want Red Bryant in the third round if we pass on a DT.
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:33 AM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
Because the disparity between DT is greater than that for OT. This is the deepest OT draft in...ever...and you can find a franchise LT in the 2nd round maybe 3rd. But DTs aren't nearly as deep...Ellis #1 and Nicks #2 would be better than Long #1 and Moore #2
Well actually Nicks stock is on the rise and teams who need O-Line help like the Dolphins,Jets,KC,and Oakland all need O-Line help so I wouldnt be suprise if he goes late 1st or early 2nd before our selection.

Last edited by falconsrule : 02-13-2008 at 05:11 PM.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 AM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
I've been thinking about this for quite a while now, and our top needs are left tackle, quarterback, and running back IMO. We have the chance to get the best tackle in this draft with our first round pick, and no one is really talking about it. Do they realize how great of a leader Jake Long is? He has average footwork, and he might be projected as a right tackle to some, but if we needed to, we can move Weiner to left tackle because of how well he's done against the finesse ends last year especially against J. Peppers.

Long is huge, and I'm starting to wonder why we would draft someone like Ellis or Dorsey when we can draft a later round defensive tackle that we can bring up in the NFL behind a veteran like Grady Jackson. I'm talking about Red Bryant who seems to be able to develop into a very solid UT for a 4-3.

By the way, I realize there is already a topic on this on the next page of this sub-forum, but I didn't want to bump a two-month old topic. Admins and mods, feel free to combine this if you deem it necessary.
Scott said that Jake Long would be our pick if Ryan and McFadden are off the board but I wouldnt complain if we did pick JL with our 1st pick.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still like the selection of Long but as others have stated theres a chance for one of the top tackles to drop to the 2nd and we still have a stud there. We wouldn't have that with a 2nd round DT. Imagine a Ellis/Dorsey + Chris Williams draft.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:34 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post

A couple of things, I love Long, and he would still make a great pick for us. We were all raving about him a few weeks ago but its hard to keep pumping him up when he has done nothing (untill the combine) and Sedrick Ellis absolutly reaked havoc all week at the seniorbowl. Expect us all to be screaming for Long again when he puts up 225lbs 40+ times and looks great at the combine.

IMO Bryant would deffinatly be a NT for us at 6"4 340lbs.

Our draft SHOULD be one of 3 combinations. Everyone here is intelligent enough to know that. Everyone seems to be pretty sure our 1st 3 picks should be either...

Matt Ryan
Carl Nicks
Pat Simms/Dre Moore

OR

Jake Long
Joe Flacco/Chad Henne/Brian Brohm
Pat Simms Dre Moore

OR

Sedrick Ellis
Carl Nicks
Joe Flacco/Chad Henne

Sure there are options such as a MLB in the 2nd but unless Wheeler is there with the 2nd 2nd rounder id wait for the 3rd. Either way, expect one out of QB LT NT RB MLB to be adressed in F/A and the other 4 to be taken care of on day 1 of the draft.

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 02-13-2008 at 03:38 PM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:08 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
2006 had a ton of impact OTs as well. Six in the top two rounds, along with two others in the top five picks of round three. I might take that class over this one, although it is close.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:13 PM    (permalink
BNad
Rookie

BNad hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The only reason I don't particularly want Jake Long is because of the depth at OT in the class. If we do end up cutting Rod Coleman I would be all over one of the DTs. I'll hate the Matt Ryan pick up until he's a Falcon, then I'll silently hate it. :p
BNad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BACK off Long you can't have him.:)
Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Haha Splat...I think it's all going to depend on FA, I'd be surprised if we don't go with Long in the end, I don't think we'll spend that much money on a LT in the offseason.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Haha Splat...I think it's all going to depend on FA, I'd be surprised if we don't go with Long in the end, I don't think we'll spend that much money on a LT in the offseason.
There is always the coin flip as well the way I understand it we can pick before you but not the Raiders but I don't know I'm kinda confused by the whole thing I'm just banking on picking 5th so I'm not let down.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:08 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

You can pick 4th or 5th. The Raiders can pick 3rd or 4th...the Falcons can pick 3rd 4th or 5th. So we'll flip against the Raiders, if we win, we pick 3 you pick 5 and they pick 4...if we lose then we flip against you guys, if we lose we pick 5 you pick 4 they pick 3. It's crazy.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:15 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Long is definitely on our board. I have him at number 2 behind Ellis. Despite his 'bad footwork' he has been a 4 year starter and has done a great job most of the time, and at worst, he will be an average pass blocker who would struggle against small and quick guys.

Otherwise he would dominate bull rushers and in run blocking.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote