Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:09 PM    (permalink
cordscords
Rookie

cordscords hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Zach Thomas Released

Quote:
One of the faces of the Miami Dolphins is no longer with the organization.

Miami has informed perennial Pro Bowl linebacker Zach Thomas they will release him Thursday, FOXSports.com has learned.

Thomas, like the rest of the Dolphins, suffered through a miserable 2007 season. He suffered a concussion on the field and injuries in a car accident that limited his play.

After missing several games, the Dolphins finished Thomas' season for him when they placed him on injured reserve in December.

Thomas instantly became a fan favorite his rookie year and went on to become one of the league's most well-known tackling machines.

In the last couple of months, Thomas has told FOXSports.com he thought his release was imminent due to his salary. However, Thomas also said that he is not ready to hang up the cleats.

Read this article at:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7797 ... ler-Thomas
cordscords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:19 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does he have anything left in the tank or is it time to retire?

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The correct link to Jay Glazer's story:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7...-Bowler-Thomas
Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

I think he may have another year or two. Like anyone in need of a LB to hold it down for a year or so. I think a team like the Lions may make a run at him, just to hold that spot until someone is ready to step up.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:22 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

its probably a tough one for phins fans to swallow because of what he has meant to the organization over the years, but from an outsiders perspective its prob the right move

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

The Patriots will go after him.

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
I think he may have another year or two. Like anyone in need of a LB to hold it down for a year or so. I think a team like the Lions may make a run at him, just to hold that spot until someone is ready to step up.
The Pats should grab him they like old linebackers

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
The Patriots will go after him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
The Pats should grab him they like old linebackers
I dont understand one bit. Tedy Bruschi and Junior Seau havent ruled anything out yet. I know we will draft an LB to play inside. We do have Oscar Lua waiting as well, and I think he will get a shot at some PT next year. I dont see it all.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've thought that too for a few months now, I know I mentioned that to toonster before.

I really think that Belichick isn't going to groom a high draft pick at inside linebacker, that he sees the league is favorable to offense anyways, so he'll take his chances and his lumps with veteran linebackers he'll continually plug in.

Last edited by Geo : 02-14-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I've thought that too for a few months now, I know I mentioned that to toonster before.

I really think that Belichick isn't going to groom a draft pick at inside linebacker, that he sees the league is favorable to offense anyways, so he'll take his chances and his lumps with veteran linebackers he'll continually plug in.
But when we have Tedy Bruschi, Junior Seau and Adalius Thomas all for two spots, why would we waste money on Thomas?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 PM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Thomas has at least 2 years left. His positioning is just amazing and he is a very smart LB. He would be great for a team with young LB that needs to learn the game.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmm... wouldn't be a bad a quisition for Oakland, we could move Kirk to SLB.
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And Parcells reforming everything

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
RAZERSAINTS
Rookie

RAZERSAINTS hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Zach just know how to find the ball carrier. Great VET LB

Sick sig by Jackalope

LIFE IS HARD WHEN YOU ARE A SAINTS FAN
RAZERSAINTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Good point, I suppose. Although Thomas can play outside though like Vrabel, and might be more suited/valuable there. Colvin is signed through 2008 with a $7.6M cap charge this season, so he might be gone this offseason if not next as a free agent. I think outside linebacker is a bigger concern for Belichick.

Since we're discussing value according to Belichick, I don't think he values cornerback enough to take him with their first round pick either. I think he'll wait at least one round to pick up the first prospect to develop, like he did with Samuel, Hobbs, and Randall G.

But I expect mockers to keep giving them an inside linebacker or a cornerback, like they do a guard for the Colts early. Some people just don't understand that certain teams value positions differently.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
But when we have Tedy Bruschi, Junior Seau and Adalius Thomas all for two spots, why would we waste money on Thomas?
Beacuse i believe at least one of them will retire...and they are all old. Hence they could do with a breather.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thomas is too small to play ILB in a 3-4. I don't see it.

I like the Lions fit though, though I'm not sure how well he'd do dropping back into zone coverage, which is the primary responsibility.

Maybe the Saints. That would make some sense.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His playing days might be over. He'll catch on somewhere but I wouldn't doubt it if he got injured again early on in the seaosn and that is that. If I'm looking for a perfect fit for him, I look at Jacksonville. Not that Jacksonville really needs him at all, I just think he could still have a chance to excel in that defense.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Good point, I suppose. Although Thomas can play outside though like Vrabel, and might be more suited/valuable there. Colvin is signed through 2008 with a $7.6M cap charge this season, so he might be gone this offseason if not next as a free agent. I think outside linebacker is a bigger concern for Belichick.

Since we're discussing value according to Belichick, I don't think he values cornerback enough to take him with their first round pick either. I think he'll wait at least one round to pick up the first prospect to develop, like he did with Samuel, Hobbs, and Randall G.

But I expect mockers to keep giving them an inside linebacker or a cornerback, like they do a guard for the Colts early. Some people just don't understand that certain teams value positions differently.
Yea, we do need an OLB. Thats why I like the idea of Vernon Gholston falling to us. If he is there, its a no brainer that we take him.

Your definately right about how Bill values corners. People like to think that Bill will take a CB in the first round, but he wont, especially not at #7, where there could potentially be top DL, who Bill values, probably, the most on the whole defense.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

one of my favorite players. he was what i love about linebackers. tough, consistent, durable, hard hitting, smart, instinctive, big time leader, i can go on and on.

loved that guy. but i guess its time to move on.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

At least Thomas would give the Lions a stopgap until they could develop a middle linebacker to follow him. But they better not overspend on him, come on Millen.

Then again, they're checking out Al Wilson already, right? If fully healthy, he might be a better option as a veteran guy to help hold the fort until they bring in much-needed defensive talent in the next 2 or 3 years.

It's not the ideal way to run the defense, with a MIKE who isn't great in coverage and probably better as a thumper, but either guy might be better than what the Lions have now.

Last edited by Geo : 02-14-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Young Legend
Veteran

Young Legend is a cocksman.Young Legend is a cocksman.Young Legend is a cocksman.Young Legend is a cocksman.

some how he will find his way to the Pats.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:19 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'll be a Bronco.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:32 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trading him was out of the question? I thought he could garner a 5th at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:34 PM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Thomas is too small to play ILB in a 3-4. I don't see it.

I like the Lions fit though, though I'm not sure how well he'd do dropping back into zone coverage, which is the primary responsibility.

Maybe the Saints. That would make some sense.
He is not too small to play ILB in a 3-4. He actually has done it at a high level in 2006 and had 52 tackles in 5 games last season. I hate when people say such and such a player cannot play in a scheme just because he isn't an ideal fit.

Even if a player is small and undersized, he can be better than a big thumper if he understands leverage and pursuit angles. That is football.

I do however, also think that he would be a great fit in NO. I am betting that he wants to play for a team thats a contender so that would probably rule out teams like the Lions and Raiders who still are a few years away. Realistically the Saints just need some pieces on defense to compete, because their current lbs are terrible.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote