Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-15-2008, 10:46 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Roster Cut thread

DT Rod Colman is the first one with many more coming today

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...eman_0215.html
Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Ah, shame. I guess that's fair enough, given the improvement in Babs, his high cap charge, and is presumably based on medical reports.

Could be a long day of blood-letting...
Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

That move almost seems like...wow...we're not trying to win this season at all. Which is fine, we want to build something different, like I've been saying all along, we have to build for the future, not just a bandaid on a mortal wound and put a winning season together only to fall apart the next season, we have to create a dominant base.

Hopefully Rod lands somewhere good, cause his ability can really transform a team's defense...he's going to be missed here.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not terribly surprised; age, injuries, declining production, cap charge, all worked in favor of this move.

My take on the other cuts:

Lawyer Milloy
Kynan Forney
Keith Brooking
Wayne Gandy
Byron Leftwich
Todd Weiner
Warrick Dunn

All of those that I listed are top candidates, for a lot of the same reasons that they cut Rod Coleman. Out with the old, declining players who are chewing up the cap space I say.

Last edited by Shiver : 02-15-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:12 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good call. The only old veteran I dont want to lose is Milloy. We need his leadership for the next couple of years while we rebuild, and I think he can still play. Weiner isnt terrible either...I wouldnt mind him staying. Everyone else need to go to be replaced with younger guys.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:13 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

crumpler cut
Old 02-15-2008, 02:18 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Are you kidding? WTF...okay...Fred Davis round 2
Old 02-15-2008, 02:22 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.atlantafalcons.com
Tight end Alge Crumpler, defensive tackle Rod Coleman, left tackle Wayne Gandy, quarterback Byron Leftwich, cornerback Lewis Sanders, linebacker Marcus Wilkins and wide receiver Jamin Elliott were released after what was - for many of the aforementioned - a long, injury-prone season.
Well...I don't know what to think...Dunn is still on the roster...this sucks.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:02 PM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fred Davis doesn't fit our system. If it were to go with a tight end in the second round, I'd be very surprised if we didn't go with John Carlson from Notre Dame.
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:13 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with Libid 21. Id rather have John Carlson instead of Fred Davis. Carlson could be a very nice weapon for our future QB to throw to when in trouble.

And i like what the Falcons are doing. I personally think its a good idea to cut our old/expensive players and instead let our youngsters play and get them groomed
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:41 PM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
I agree with Libid 21. Id rather have John Carlson instead of Fred Davis. Carlson could be a very nice weapon for our future QB to throw to when in trouble.

And i like what the Falcons are doing. I personally think its a good idea to cut our old/expensive players and instead let our youngsters play and get them groomed
Thanks, but I think you've got it mixed up. Carlson may just be an average receiver. The only reason why I said that was because Carlson is a pure beast in terms of blocking. Fred Davis, on the other hand, is more of a receiving TE than Carlson.
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:52 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
Thanks, but I think you've got it mixed up. Carlson may just be an average receiver. The only reason why I said that was because Carlson is a pure beast in terms of blocking. Fred Davis, on the other hand, is more of a receiving TE than Carlson.
I know Fred is more of a receiving TE the Carlson. what i ment by it was Carlson would be a better player then Fred because he could block better for our young QB and could also go out and catch a pass.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Right now our needs are:

DT
QB
LT

Then the secondary needs:

MLB (Keith Brooking is moving to WLB)
RB
TE
K

I expect half of those needs to be filled via free agency.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:12 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
MLB (Keith Brooking is moving to WLB)
speculation or fact?
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:37 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can see why the cut Coleman. I would have been inclined to give him a shot though. When healthy he can play. I also read Milloy might be out, and we won't reup with Crocker. Hopefully Stone and J-Dub are ready.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:26 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Good call. The only old veteran I dont want to lose is Milloy. We need his leadership for the next couple of years while we rebuild, and I think he can still play. Weiner isnt terrible either...I wouldnt mind him staying. Everyone else need to go to be replaced with younger guys.
Ditto.

I called the Rod Coleman thing. I think Babs has proven himself.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:00 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Apparently we're not done making cuts...I found this on AFMB too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmb
I live in miami, and was listening to to him today and the one thing he was talking about all the cuts today except a couple of guys these moves were made because of injuries. Listen guys i love alge to but his production had dropped alittle because of them and there not getting any better when dealing with knees all the time. people have to understand they are rebuilding and there are going to be some cuts that people wonder about. Hell miami just cut the heart of there team because of injuries in zach thomas.

He was also saying that they got down to about 17 mil today and that TD wants to be in the range of 23-25 under when free agency starts so expect som more in the coming days.

Third thing he was saying is the same things we have been hearing that they want to get stronger up the middle and the lines. He said if d-mac is there when we pick we will take him, if not expect one of the d-tackes!
I was kinda thinking we may end up taking McFadden...but honestly I think it's just a rumor to get Dallas to bite...but I wouldn't be surprised if he was our pick...we're creating a new team, so basically at this point, none of us can really know for sure what's going to happen, and very few players are safe.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:29 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McFadden behind our offensive line would be horrible. Then add in likely no successful passing game.

Honestly, compared to when the season started we really look like we are in bad shape. I mean, if we had Vick last year I felt we would have been at least .500, but now we don't seem set, both starter and depth wise, at any position really.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:47 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i really agree. expect some bad seasons up ahead but hopefully it will be worth it.

our needs scream jake long. the general consensus here is that no qb, including matt ryan, or dmac will be efficient behind our line. we have to take jake long if he is there or take the next best one with one of our second rounders.

and i guess TD will be aggressive in FA. im not completely sold on michael turner however and offensive linemen will ask for the world. i would like colin cole from the packers but he is restricted. we have so many needs!

do you guys really see us taking a TE in the third or earlier? we need a DT, LT, RB, QB. those positions are quintessential to a franchise and TE just isnt too important right now. i would like the falcons to sign a FA. a guy like stephen alexander or marcus pollard for a few years will be enough imo. when we become more situated regarding our main positions, we can take a prospect in the draft. kevin boss was taken in the fifth and proved very worthy. any steals at TE in this draft?
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:56 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Like I've said, if they think Matt Ryan is the guy they should take him. Sure, we have a bad offensive line but three years of growing are going to be needed reguardless for a quarterback. If they do not think he is that guy then Jake Long or Sedrick Ellis is the answer.

I really hope our class from last year steps up. Jamaal Anderson looked horrible last year, Houston looked horrible most of the time, Blalock was OK, Nicholas was OK, Milner looked alright before injury, Irons was a bonehead but he has potential, Laurent looked good but had some drops and fumbles.

But I expect Chris Houston to step up, along with Blalock to a lesser extent. Nicholas should be good too, he is a playmaker. I don't think Milner is the answer at TE, and I think Irons should be a dime rather than a nickel.

We really need that class to be good though.

Ugh, I can't stand losing.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
McFadden behind our offensive line would be horrible. Then add in likely no successful passing game.

Honestly, compared to when the season started we really look like we are in bad shape. I mean, if we had Vick last year I felt we would have been at least .500, but now we don't seem set, both starter and depth wise, at any position really.
I disagree. Might just be me though. If Jerious Norwood can suceed behind our line, I can't see why D-Mac can't. Espically since we are almost surely upgrading it in FA.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:15 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Maybe. I doubt he can turn this franchise around, though. Runningbacks can not do that.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:17 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Maybe. I doubt he can turn this franchise around, though. Runningbacks can not do that.

I could see were you are coming from though. Personally, I'd like us to build off of our D and become a run it down your throat kind of team, until the opportune time to grab a QB comes up.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:26 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

We need a strength. That is why I wanted Rex Ryan, I believe we could have won some games next year, just by an aggressive, fast defense and a conservative offense.

If you have inexperienced, talented and athletic players on defense the way to make up for the deficiencies is by blitzing and making plays, confusing the quarterback, not playing a solid zone with a few blitzes thrown in. We don't have the veteran talent for that. Especially with a lackluster front four pass rush.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:00 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Not that it is really important, but we are going to be really bad in Madden lol.