Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 02-16-2008, 01:52 PM    (permalink
bbbtalb0

Scenario: You're stuck at #1, who's the pick?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:24 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Long or Vernon Gholston

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
Chris Long or Vernon Gholston
Way too early to narrow it down to that. It could be any of Chris Long, Jake Long, Glenn Dorsey, or Matt Ryan with Vernon Gholston and Darren McFadden being dark horses.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:00 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Right now I'd go Chris Long with Jake as the other top option.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:56 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It may be early, but It WILL be one of those two, think what you want, but if we stay at # 1 it will be either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston.

Remember who said it would be Ginn, months before the draft....

Well, I haven't narrowed it down to one single option yet, I'm still breaking it down, but I have it down to 2. Bank on it. You can completely rule out Glenn Dorsey and Jake Long, thats for sure. Most likely Ryan too.

McFadden could be a slight option, but only to use as trade bait, we would never keep him, but I'm still looking at that as an option as well. It's still a little too early to tell.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell

Last edited by thebow305 : 02-17-2008 at 01:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:38 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
It may be early, but It WILL be one of those two, think what you want, but if we stay at # 1 it will be either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston.

Remember who said it would be Ginn, months before the draft....

Well, I haven't narrowed it down to one single option yet, I'm still breaking it down, but I have it down to 2. Bank on it. You can completely rule out Glenn Dorsey and Jake Long, thats for sure. Most likely Ryan too.

McFadden could be a slight option, but only to use as trade bait, we would never keep him, but I'm still looking at that as an option as well. It's still a little too early to tell.
You've been living off that Ginn prediction since it happened. Get over it man. I remember being right about Cam getting rid of Culpepper when everyone on here thought he was gonna be given a chance yet I don't hold that over people's head.

Don't act like you know everything just because you guessed a pick right.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:38 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

BigBlueCrew56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Okay here are the top three and I am going to dicuss why we should or shouldnt take them

1. QB Matt Ryan Boston College

Why I would take him:

With John Beck being on the roster it would make sense to get in another QB to compete with him.

Why I wouldnt take him:

I think the Phins need to give John Beck another year with a rebuilt offense. Ireland has already come out and said they where impressed by what they saw of him on film and he looked better then they actually thought. He was also the 1st phone call Ireland reached out too. I feel they should give him his fair shake and add a solid veteran on the roster to bring him along. I wouldnt be opposed to taking a late round flyer on Erick Ainge in the 4th or 5th.

2. DE Chris Long Virginia

Why I would take him:

Long would be a solid player to add to any team and should be a fine defender in a 4-3 or be a 3-4 OLB in the mold of Mike Vrabel.

Why I woulnt take him:

At 6'3 275 he is just too small to play down 3-4 defensive lineman. He did it in college but that wont fly in the pros. Now he could be a great OLB but is he better then Gholston????. The current roster also has Taylor,Porter,Roth, Moses, and A.Wright all whom could be viable options at 3-4 OLB and at very least you could wait another year for adding such a player. So would paying top dollar to an OLB when you already have strong depth at that spot make much sense at this time. In my opinion I dont think so.

3. OT Jake Long Michigan

Why I would take him:

Jake Long is massive at 6'7 330 so he obviously fills the Parcells size requirement. The Phins just purged most of there offensive line by releasing Shelton,Alabi, and Toledo. Carey is a stud but needs someone to play along side of him. With all the big dollars Tackles are getting it should be easy to justify paying Long top dollar. Long and Carey would be young bookend tackles that will lead this offense for many years to come. Some have said why not just sign Flozell. Well because Flozell is old and by the time the team is ready to compete in the next few years he will be that much older. While if you take Long he and Carey will be at there max primes. You could have the option of keeping Carey at LT or moving him back to the right but the most important thing going on here is you have one less thing to worry about which is your offensive line. With Long and Carey they can pound the hell out of teams and protect John Beck or who every the QB is back there.

Why I wouldnt take him:

I really cant find a negative not to take him other then he should be more of a top 3-5 pick then a #1 in any other normal year but this isnt a normal year as there really isnt a clear cut #1 pick other then a guy like McFadden which this team doesnt need. Some say he is too slow for LT but even if he cant beat Carey at LT then he moves over to the right and the team still wins because the line is still solidified.

So after all this being said my pick would be

OT Jake Long Michigan
BigBlueCrew56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:11 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
You've been living off that Ginn prediction since it happened. Get over it man. I remember being right about Cam getting rid of Culpepper when everyone on here thought he was gonna be given a chance yet I don't hold that over people's head.

Don't act like you know everything just because you guessed a pick right.
Wow.... you're comparing the Culpepper situation to the Ginn pick... Culpepper was a piece of ****, if you asked me I would've told you he was going to be gone, but I didn't feel like it even deserved any attention at all. Congrats on that... and I'm not saying I know everything, but I do probably know a little more than most. I weigh every little option before the draft and all the evidence as it is, and if anyone would have monitored the Ginn situation as much as I did, they could have predicted it as well. I just do my homework, that's all.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:23 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Feast your eyes on something Long LOL!

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...goryId=2806068
Old 02-17-2008, 02:41 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

If Jason Taylor is traded before the draft then hands down the selection will be DE/OLB Chris Long.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
Jake Long is massive at 6'7 330 so he obviously fills the Parcells size requirement. You could have the option of keeping Carey at LT or moving him back to the right
Was this serious? Since when does Jake Long weight 330? He's 6'7 and 310. He's actually very lean. He's not at all the type of beefy 330 pound OL that Parcells likes. He's actually the opposite.

If you draft a OT at number overall, keeping Carey at LT is not an option. Carey as average at best at LT last year and spending a number 1 overall pick on a RT is just not smart management.

I disagree with pretty much your entire assesment of Jake Long.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:17 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
If Jason Taylor is traded before the draft then hands down the selection will be DE/OLB Chris Long.
Or Vernon Gholston... DUH! :D

Old 02-17-2008, 03:22 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Was this serious? Since when does Jake Long weight 330? He's 6'7 and 310. He's actually very lean. He's not at all the type of beefy 330 pound OL that Parcells likes. He's actually the opposite.

If you draft a OT at number overall, keeping Carey at LT is not an option. Carey as average at best at LT last year and spending a number 1 overall pick on a RT is just not smart management.

Carey was a vey solid LT last year, not a Pro Bowler, but did a lot better than expected. He would be a Pro Bowler at G or at RT, but I would not say he was average at all.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:07 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Quote:

Jake Long
College Michigan
Conference Big Ten
Sport Football
Position LT
Jersey # 77
Class Senior
Career 2004 present
Height 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)
Weight 335 pounds (152.0 kg)
Nationality United States
Born May 9, 1985 (1985-05-09) (age 22)
High school Lapeer East High School,
Lapeer, Michigan
Bowl games

This is straight from his Wikipedia. Now it does look like he is closer to 315 but you act like you've never seen a site post the weight of Jake Long before that has him listed at 330 plus.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Jake Long
College Michigan
Conference Big Ten
Sport Football
Position LT
Jersey # 77
Class Senior
Career 2004 – present
Height 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)
Weight 335 pounds (152.0 kg)
Nationality United States
Born May 9, 1985 (1985-05-09) (age 22)
High school Lapeer East High School,
Lapeer, Michigan
Bowl games

This is straight from his Wikipedia. Now it does look like he is closer to 315 but you act like you've never seen a site post the weight of Jake Long before that has him listed at 330 plus.

Wikipedia has him listed as 315. The official Michigan site has him listed at 315. ESPN has him listed at 315. This site has him listed at 313.

So to anwser your question. No most reliable sites don't list him anywhere near the weight of 330 and he doesn't weight anywhere near 330.

He is not anywhere close to a Parcells type of OT and you should really look at places other then Wikipedia to get your information. Anyone can change anything on that site at any time. It's just an open pool of information, much of it is false and there is nobody there to filter it.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:40 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

I dont know if you remember a guy by the name of Jumbo Elliott. But he was one of Bill Parcells favorite guys and he played LT at 6'7 308. Hmmmm that sounds pretty familiar.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:48 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Parcells not only had Jumbo when he was a Giant but he also signed him to play for him on the Jets. But I guess since Jumbo wasnt the quote on quote Bill Parcells type of offensive lineman I guess all those years should just be thrown out the window because all most people can remember are recent images of Flozell Adams in there head.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:54 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Question

Quote:
Wikipedia has him listed as 315. The official Michigan site has him listed at 315. ESPN has him listed at 315. This site has him listed at 313.

So to anwser your question. No most reliable sites don't list him anywhere near the weight of 330 and he doesn't weight anywhere near 330.

He is not anywhere close to a Parcells type of OT and you should really look at places other then Wikipedia to get your information. Anyone can change anything on that site at any time. It's just an open pool of information, much of it is false and there is nobody there to filter it.

Also just a bit more information for you.

Jumbo Elliott
John Stuart Elliott

Position: T
Height: 6-7 Weight: 308 lbs.
Born: April 1, 1965 in Lake Ronkonkoma, NY
College: Michigan

Hmmm one of Bill Parcells all time favorite lineman. You have to be kidding me if Parcells isnt already comparing Michigan bretheran Elliott and Long.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Parcells not only had Jumbo when he was a Giant but he also signed him to play for him on the Jets. But I guess since Jumbo wasnt the quote on quote Bill Parcells type of offensive lineman I guess all those years should just be thrown out the window because all most people can remember are recent images of Flozell Adams in there head.
I hate when people do this. Just because one guy does something doesn't mean they all will. Jumbo Elliot is the exception, not the rule. Parcells only used a handful of 310 pound guys like Jumbo. He had millions of 330 pound guys and has said a bunch of times that he loves huge OLs.

Just because Parcells had luck and liked one 310 pound lineman doesn't mean he's gonna put his preference and history aside for Jake Long.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:19 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

How can you honestly tell me that when Parcells has had a LT under 310 pounds for almost his entire coaching career up until he was lucky to inherit an all world LT by the name of Flozell Adams. Damn remember Bruce Armstrong his Left Tackle with the Patriots,he was only about 6'4 300. One thing in common about Flozell,Jumbo, and Long is that they all push 6'7.

Last edited by BigBlueCrew56 : 02-17-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:37 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Long is a huge mauling tackle, just because he's not 330 right now (he's played there earlier in his career though) doesn't mean he's not going to fit the mold the Parcells is looking for.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:41 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Long is a huge mauling tackle, just because he's not 330 right now (he's played there earlier in his career though) doesn't mean he's not going to fit the mold the Parcells is looking for.
Assuming Beck is at QB we are going to be playing a ton of ball control offense. Long is a solid run blocker and would fit in well in that type of offense.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:30 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

This argument will be a Non-factor when we draft Chris Long or Vernon Gholston, and NOT Jake Long.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:50 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Quote:
This argument will be a Non-factor when we draft Chris Long or Vernon Gholston, and NOT Jake Long.

I wouldnt be apposed to drafting either but I would then have to assume that there is a deal in place to deal away Jason Taylor for a 2nd or a 3rd. Porter isnt going anywhere with the guaranteed money that has been invested in him already. Then you have a player in Matt Roth whom I feel has a ton of potential playing as an OLB in the 3-4. He has played linebacker before and at 6'4 270 has the exact same measurables as does a Long. He also has an attitude and a non stop motor that the Parcells coaching staff will love. Then they are the dark horses in Quentin Moses and Abraham Wright whom have potential to do great things as well if given the chance in a base 3-4 defense. If Parcells plans on keeping Taylor for a few more years it would be non sense to spend a high draft pick on someone who will be backing up the OLB spots. You want to draft at a spot where I think we actually have some decent talent in the pipe lines to go along with two veterans. As of today we only have one current viable starter at OT with not a worthy backup to speak of with the release of Alabi,Toledo, and Shelton.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

I am hoping that Parcells can get his hands on a vet like Todd Collins to bring John Beck along. Not too many good vet F/A QB's out there. Really dont want to see Matt Ryan as the #1 pick.