Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 02-18-2008, 10:35 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.

If you are stuck at #1 and the QB position has not been addressed, I have a feeling that Ryan is the pick. If somehow they do something at QB (don't know what) then I think they pick either C. Long or Gholston. Though I would lean Gholston, I think they lean for Long. I do not see Jake Long because I think he is not a good enough pass blocker for LT. Gholston ate him alive and NFL pass rushers will do the same at LT. I believe Mayock called him a great prospect at RT. No way I think you take a RT at #1....

C. Long is a safe pick who could play 3-4 DE or OLB if he drops a few pounds and you don't have to doubt the effort.

I think right now it is 51-49 Ryan over C. Long if QB is not fixed and if it somehow is, then it is 70-30 Long over Gholston.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:12 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I tend to think that, with the chances of finding a solid OL talent at one of their 2nd round spots, I'm just not sure Jake Long is on level with the others in the competition unless they absolutely love him to that extent, which I would find a bit surprising. My guess as of now is that it'll come down to (and as of now, this would be the order I'd rank it as): Matt Ryan, Chris Long, Vernon Gholston with Jake Long probably 4th in that bnch.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
I tend to think that, with the chances of finding a solid OL talent at one of their 2nd round spots, I'm just not sure Jake Long is on level with the others in the competition unless they absolutely love him to that extent, which I would find a bit surprising. My guess as of now is that it'll come down to (and as of now, this would be the order I'd rank it as): Matt Ryan, Chris Long, Vernon Gholston with Jake Long probably 4th in that bnch.
I agree with everything you said up until Matt Ryan being option number 1. Most people think Ryan could be Parcell's next Bledsoe, but I have no reason to believe Flacco couldn't be, and for a much cheaper price in the 2nd round. He has a stronger arm, is more mobile, and looked pretty accurate at the Senior Bowl. They only question is the competition, but the guy just seems like a competitor to me, bottom line.

Taking Ryan with the 1st would almost be admitting failure last year and completely throwing away a 2nd round pick. I just don't think it would be the most productive thing to do as a team when we have so many other glaring deficiencies on this roster. We need to trade down, but if we don't, we need to take the BPA on either the offensive or defensive lines, which are the most glaring needs on this team right now. And since I agree so much with you about Jake Long not being far and away the best at his position, Chris Long or Vernon Gholston need to be the pick at number 1, that's the way I see it.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:03 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
Taking Ryan with the 1st would almost be admitting failure last year
You don't think after going 1-15, bringing in an executive vice president in Parcells, and firing both the one-year head coach and the team's GM means they've already admitted to failure? I don't see why the organization would feel the need to save face on their second round draft pick.

Anywho, FWIW, this was posted in a Rams beat writer blog, but since it had other NFL tidbits, I thought I would put it here...

Quote:
Kiper seemed pretty confident that the Miami Dolphins under new Executive Vice President of Football Operations Bill Parcells will take Boston College QB Matt Ryan with the No. 1 overall pick.

“If they don’t feel like John Beck is the right guy moving forward with, then they need to draft Matt Ryan,’’ Kiper said. “He drafted Drew Bledsoe up in New England, and I think Matt Ryan is the kind of quarterback that fits what Bill wants.

“Had they drafted Brady Quinn last instead of Ted Ginn (Jr.) last year, the previous administration, they wouldn’t be drafting Matt Ryan. Brady Quinn would their guy moving forward. Now instead of using that pick on another position or trading it, they are almost forced to take Matt Ryan.’’
http://bellevillenewsdemocrat.typepa...iper-rams.html
NGSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:46 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think its going to be a D player that can step up and make an impact in the 3-4. Thats just Parcells, then again he did get Key Johnson. I think its going to be a Lb like Golston. In a 3-4 paying that much money for a DT and even a DE is ridiculous they are there to eat up block and stop the run, while the lbs make a majority of the plays in pass rushing and even run stopping.

I also see him maybe taking Ryan, they did draft a qb last season, but this is a new coachs team, so maybe he wants his own players.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:12 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
You don't think after going 1-15, bringing in an executive vice president in Parcells, and firing both the one-year head coach and the team's GM means they've already admitted to failure? I don't see why the organization would feel the need to save face on their second round draft pick.

Anywho, FWIW, this was posted in a Rams beat writer blog, but since it had other NFL tidbits, I thought I would put it here...

http://bellevillenewsdemocrat.typepa...iper-rams.html
Kiper is never right anymore, bottom line. I never listen to that guy. Frankly, I don't know how he even still has a job.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 02-20-2008, 01:54 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Ryan is a lot bigger option than I original thought apparently. I figured it was between the Longs but I heard Ireland wants Ryan.

Also, I doubt the new regime really cares to admit last year was a failure, it wasn't them that made the Beck pick.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Matt Ryan is a lot bigger option than I original thought apparently. I figured it was between the Longs but I heard Ireland wants Ryan.

Also, I doubt the new regime really cares to admit last year was a failure, it wasn't them that made the Beck pick.
Guru,

I think that unless they really decide to move out for a big package of picks, that Ryan is the guy. If they don't solve it before the draft (Derek Anderson is the only way) then they have to go QB. I hope they are right because I sure don't see him as a can't miss guy.........
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:38 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

But wasn't it originially stated by Ireland that he was really high on Beck before the draft last year and that one year didn't really change that? I doubt that he's the one who wants Ryan. And I also read that the coaches were taking a long hard look at Flacco during the Senior Bowl and seemed to be very interested. I could see him being our pick at 33 more than I could see Ryan at # 1 Overall.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. I would be surprised if yall keep the first pick at all. For several reasons.

1) Your front seven is good, but old. I think Parcells is always looking for a playmaker in the front seven.

2) I am not sold yall need a quarterback. I didnt think Beck looked horrible.

3) With Ronnie Brown (and Lorenzo Booker, who I have not given up on, yet) DMAC is not a need.

4) Again, your front sevens old. I would bet Parcells will be looking to find 3-4players, just like he did here in Dallas.

I would bet Parcells has yall competitive in no time. But not with one blue-chip prospect. I think he will do it with several players he obtains from the pick.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Last edited by HEISMANHERSCHEL : 02-20-2008 at 11:47 PM.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
Wow. I would be surprised if yall keep the first pick at all. For several reasons.

1) Your front seven is good, but old. I think Parcells is always looking for a playmaker in the front seven.

2) I am not sold yall need a quarterback. I didnt think Beck looked horrible.

3) With Ronnie Brown (and Lorenzo Booker, who I have not given up on, yet) DMAC is not a need.

4) Again, your front sevens old. I would bet Parcells will be looking to find 3-4players, just like he did here in Dallas.

I would bet Parcells has yall competitive in no time. But not with one blue-chip prospect. I think he will do it with several players he obtains from the pick.
I sure hope you're right!

But if we must stay, the pick has to be Gholston.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:26 AM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

BigBlueCrew56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
I agree with everything you said up until Matt Ryan being option number 1. Most people think Ryan could be Parcell's next Bledsoe, but I have no reason to believe Flacco couldn't be, and for a much cheaper price in the 2nd round. He has a stronger arm, is more mobile, and looked pretty accurate at the Senior Bowl. They only question is the competition, but the guy just seems like a competitor to me, bottom line.

Taking Ryan with the 1st would almost be admitting failure last year and completely throwing away a 2nd round pick. I just don't think it would be the most productive thing to do as a team when we have so many other glaring deficiencies on this roster. We need to trade down, but if we don't, we need to take the BPA on either the offensive or defensive lines, which are the most glaring needs on this team right now. And since I agree so much with you about Jake Long not being far and away the best at his position, Chris Long or Vernon Gholston need to be the pick at number 1, that's the way I see it.
I agree with everything you said in this post. There is no reason for Parcells to reach for a QB here. With Beck in the fold he needs to wait for the later rounds maybe even in the early third and see if Joe Flacco falls to them. If he doesnt it's no big deal because we could always take a flyer on Erick Ainge in the 4th or 5th. I do beleive that this regime will draft here QB but i dont beleive it will be Matt Ryan with the 1st pick. Pick up a veteran like Todd Collins and have them all compete in camp and may the best QB win.
BigBlueCrew56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:28 AM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Parcells and Ireland have there eyes on Joe Flacco. He seems like the prototypical guy that these guys like. No pressure for him to come in right away and shine like it would be with the #1 pick of the draft.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:12 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can see none of you have kept this thread open, but I see a trade happening, and wanted to get your reaction to it.

I can see Dallas' two first round picks, Bobby Carpenter, and probably other players for #1. It makes sense for these reason:

1) Parcells will run a 3-4, sooner or later. He needs players.
2) Carpenter fits the bill as either a 3-4 or 4-3 player.
3) Carpenter is still very young and has talent.
4) Dallas just signed Zach Thomas and Drafted Anthony Spencer last year. Carpenter is expendable.
5) Parcells drafted Carpenter, and he is a "Parcells" guy.
6) Without paying #1 pick money, you could spend the money in free agency, making the team more competitive now.
7) This seems to me to be a good draft to have later first round picks.
8) Jerry loves Arkansas.
9) No one player in the draft will make yall much better than you already are.

Yall would have three of the first 32 picks after the trade. That is rebuilding, right there...

It makes sense to me. Yea, we might have have to throw in a few other players. Not sure who that would consist of, but we have the talent to trade some of them.

Any feedback yall can give would be appreciated...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:11 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm buying Matt Ryan right now if we stay at one.

As for the trade, I see both 1s and Barber being in it if it happens. I'd like to have Carpenter in the trade as well, but his value isn't going to make up for Barber's.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:23 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Jake long please

I think Chris long is very over-rated on these forums
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I can see none of you have kept this thread open, but I see a trade happening, and wanted to get your reaction to it.

I can see Dallas' two first round picks, Bobby Carpenter, and probably other players for #1. It makes sense for these reason:

4) Dallas just signed Zach Thomas and Drafted Anthony Spencer last year. Carpenter is expendable.
6) Without paying #1 pick money, you could spend the money in free agency, making the team more competitive now.
8) Jerry loves Arkansas.

Yall would have three of the first 32 picks after the trade. That is rebuilding, right there...

It makes sense to me. Yea, we might have have to throw in a few other players. Not sure who that would consist of, but we have the talent to trade some of them.

2 1st and spears makes more sense for us personally if barber was not part of it. He fits our needs and you all couldeasily fill in for his loss.
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:

8) Jerry loves Arkansas.

Outside of the obvious Miami gets more picks and Carpenter is a Parcells guy, that list is 199 percetn from teh Dallas point of view and why it makes sense for them. Not really necessary on a Dolphins board.

Anyway tho, I doubt this trade gets made with just two 1sts, and a couple of players. They would have to be pretty high level players. If you were to take a 500 discount (equal to a 2 RD pick) from the TVC, the Cowboys would still need to give up 3 1sts and a later pick jus to get it close.

They aren't gonna do that so giving up both 1sts, a guy worth something (ex. Barber, Canty, Spencer) and another later pick (4th RD?) is round about where the deal should fall.

Giving up a package of both 1sts, Spears and Carpenter isn't gonna get it done at this point I wouldn't think. Spears and Parcells have a vad relationship and Carpenter isn't worth a damn thing right now even if he is a Parcells guy (BTW. half the league are Parcells guys so who cares). He's been a bust and not worth more then a low round pick at this point.

A deal of both 1sts, Barber and a 4th would be perfect.

A deal of both 1sts, Spears and Carpenter is leaning way heavily towards the Cowboys.

Wonder if they meet somewhere in the middle?

Maybe both 1sts, a 3rd and Doug Free?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:49 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

I want to stay at number one, or number 3 if we make a trade with ATL because of Ryan, and take Chris Long or Vernon Gholston. That is my favorite option right now.

Option number 2 for me would be Trade #1 to Dallas for #22, #28, Marion Barber, and Bobby Carpenter. I think that would work. I really only would want that if we signed Calvin Pace, because I want Chris Long or Vernon Gholston pretty badly at this point. Pace would ease me on both of them a little and would make a trade ok in my mind. Unless we traded Taylor after signing Pace, then I would still want CL or VG.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see how this thing plays out.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:03 AM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Cmon guys lets get real here. I know there is some real deep infatuation with Chris Long and Vernon Gholston but if Calvin Pace signs for 20 Mil plus guaranteed then we need to start looking elsewhere in the draft. We will be loaded at the 3-4 OLB position even with a trade of Jason Taylor. Another thing is Chris Long will not be a 3-4 DE either as he is vastly undersized for that in the pros. Bill just signed a guy in Randy Starks who played 3-4 end for Maryland who is freakin 6'3 312 pounds.

OLB Calvin Pace
OLB Joey Porter
OLB Reggie Torbor
OLB Matt Roth
OLB Abraham Wright
OLB Jason Taylor (Possible trade bait)

And please stop with the talk of Long playing ILB or Pace playing ILB. You dont pay all this money to have these guys play ILB. You pay them to get to the QB. Releasing Porter seems like a stretch after giving him 20 million in guarantees. I dont think Huizenga wants to admit just yet that he just wasted all that money. Torbor was an undersized DE at Auburn so he may be a nice role player off the bench. The guy too look out for is Matt Roth. At 6'3 270 and experience playing both LB and DE in college is a natural fit at the 3-4. Let alone a nice project player in Wright. The pick is going to come down too QB Matt Ryan or OT Jake Long. I dont think anybody is going to trade up. But if Atlanta is dead set on Ryan then we have them by the ballz now because Chris Long is no longer a lock to us. If we can squeeze them then the draft will fall like this

1. Atlanta- QB Matt Ryan

2. St. Louis- DE Chris Long

3. Miami - OT Jake Long

or

1. Miami- OT Jake Long or QB Matt Ryan

2. St.Louis- DE Chris Long

3. Atlanta- QB Matt Ryan or OT Jake Long

Last edited by BigBlueCrew56 : 03-01-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:58 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
Cmon guys lets get real here. I know there is some real deep infatuation with Chris Long and Vernon Gholston but if Calvin Pace signs for 20 Mil plus guaranteed then we need to start looking elsewhere in the draft. We will be loaded at the 3-4 OLB position even with a trade of Jason Taylor. Another thing is Chris Long will not be a 3-4 DE either as he is vastly undersized for that in the pros. Bill just signed a guy in Randy Starks who played 3-4 end for Maryland who is freakin 6'3 312 pounds.

OLB Calvin Pace
OLB Joey Porter
OLB Reggie Torbor
OLB Matt Roth
OLB Abraham Wright
OLB Jason Taylor (Possible trade bait)

And please stop with the talk of Long playing ILB or Pace playing ILB. You dont pay all this money to have these guys play ILB. You pay them to get to the QB. Releasing Porter seems like a stretch after giving him 20 million in guarantees. I dont think Huizenga wants to admit just yet that he just wasted all that money. Torbor was an undersized DE at Auburn so he may be a nice role player off the bench. The guy too look out for is Matt Roth. At 6'3 270 and experience playing both LB and DE in college is a natural fit at the 3-4. Let alone a nice project player in Wright. The pick is going to come down too QB Matt Ryan or OT Jake Long. I dont think anybody is going to trade up. But if Atlanta is dead set on Ryan then we have them by the ballz now because Chris Long is no longer a lock to us. If we can squeeze them then the draft will fall like this

1. Atlanta- QB Matt Ryan

2. St. Louis- DE Chris Long

3. Miami - OT Jake Long

or

1. Miami- OT Jake Long or QB Matt Ryan

2. St.Louis- DE Chris Long

3. Atlanta- QB Matt Ryan or OT Jake Long

Bro..Why do you assume we are moving Matt Roth to OLB? HE has played nothing but DE since his freshaman year of college and we are hurting for DEs on our roster. With us having JT, Porter, Torbor and likely another pick or Pace at OLB, Roth is gonna be staying at DE.

I mean damn you tell us to stop the talk about Pace or Long at ILB but you keep saying Roth to OLB with no evidence, link or anything of substance to back up that claim. It's just you talking.

The situation could easily work out like this:

OLB- Chris Long/Vernon Gholston
ILB- Reggie Torbor
ILB- Channing Crowder
OLB- Calvin Pace, Joey Porter

And then JT gets dealt. Suddenly our position is Long and Pace with an aging Porter as the top backup and Abe Wright being groomed as a sorta swing OLB. Matt Roth is a FA after next season and will likely not be back because he doesn't fit the system. He will likely play DE this season and that walk at the end of the year. It's very realistic that we still draft an OLB like Long or Gholston so stop getting all bent out of shape over it and saying we are the ones infatuated with those guys when you are so damn obviously ready to get on your knees and blow Jake Long if he walked in your room.

I mean chill bro. I know you like Jake Long and he could be the pick but Chris Long and Vernon Gholston are still very realistic options no matter what at this point.

Last edited by Joeyjr09 : 03-01-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:30 AM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
Bro..Why do you assume we are moving Matt Roth to OLB? HE has played nothing but DE since his freshaman year of college and we are hurting for DEs on our roster. With us having JT, Porter, Torbor and likely another pick or Pace at OLB, Roth is gonna be staying at DE.

I mean damn you tell us to stop the talk about Pace or Long at ILB but you keep saying Roth to OLB with no evidence, link or anything of substance to back up that claim. It's just you talking.

ILB- Reggie Torbor
ILB- Channing Crowder

And then JT gets dealt. Suddenly our position is Long and Pace with an aging Porter as the top backup and Abe Wright being groomed as a sorta swing OLB. Matt Roth is a FA after next season and will likely not be back because he doesn't fit the system. He will likely play DE this season and that walk at the end of the year. It's very realistic that we still draft an OLB like Long or Gholston so stop getting all bent out of shape over it and saying we are the ones infatuated with those guys when you are so damn obviously ready to get on your knees and blow Jake Long if he walked in your room.

I mean chill bro. I know you like Jake Long and he could be the pick but Chris Long and Vernon Gholston are still very realistic options no matter what at this point.

College career
Roth was a two-time First Team All-Big Ten selection and an All-America selection as a senior during his collegiate career at the University of Iowa.

He was regarded as one of the premier pass rushers in the collegiate ranks and one of the toughest players in the country.[citation needed] He was a blue-chip NFL prospect with a blue-collar work ethic.[citation needed] Roth is a colorful character who plays the game as if he is on a "search and destroy" mission.[citation needed] He is the source of a campus urban legend, as many Hawkeyes talk of the time Roth challenged and cleared out an entire bar in a fight.[citation needed]

Roth began his Iowa career as a middle linebacker, recording 19 tackles (12 solo) in 12 games as a reserve in 2001. He shifted to the defensive line in 2002, as the coaches felt he played with too aggressively to be effective as a linebacker. Roth responded to the move by recording 48 tackles (22 solo) with 10 sacks, 11 stops behind the line of scrimmage and 11 quarterback pressures, despite starting only one game. Roth took over left-end duties in 2003, collecting 51 tackles (32 solo),12 sacks, 16 stops for losses and four forced fumbles. Only Leroy Smith (18 in 1991) had more sacks in a season for the Hawkeyes.

With an additional 10 pounds of muscle added to his frame in 2004, Roth put together a banner senior season, earning All-America honors. He ranked fourth in the Big Ten with eight sacks and registered 15 stops for losses (sixth in the Big Ten), eight pressures and 49 tackles (34 solo) while leading the conference with three forced fumbles.

In 49 games, he started 25 times, recording 167 tackles (100 solo) with 23 quarterback pressures, 30 sacks for minus-192 yards, 43 stops for losses of 224 yards, eight forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and a pass deflection. His 30 career sacks rank third in school history, topped only by Mike Wells (33, 1990-93) and Jared DeVries (42, 1995-98). Only Wells (54) and DeVries (78) registered more tackles behind the line of scrimmage in a career for the Hawkeyes.

PFW: A big reason you went to Iowa was because you could continue to play linebacker as you did in high school. Eventually the coaches put you in a three-point stance, and things have worked out pretty well. What did you think of the move at the time?

Roth: The move, at first, I didn’t like it. In high school, I pretty much had free reign to do anything, so I played linebacker … the coach pretty much told me, ‘If it was a pass, just blitz.’ So it was taking a while (at Iowa) to understand the different pass coverages, and I think they felt coming in I was going to be a big kid and that I could move really well and that they could see me as a down lineman. So it came on, and I was picking up the defense toward the end of (my freshman) season, learning my coverages, and I think they just saw me as a defensive end and (that I) could help out right away. I moved there, and going into my sophomore season I played about 40 percent of the defensive plays and led the Big Ten in sacks with 10.

PFW: Any chance you might play standing up a little in the pros? How would you feel about that, especially now that more teams are using 3-4 defenses?

Roth: More than anything, I think I am just a football player. Do I think I could play outside linebacker? Yeah, I think I could jump in right away. I think I have learned a lot, defensive line-wise, about using my hands. I think I could fit in well at linebacker, rushing and doing all that stuff. I think I am pretty dang good at defensive end too

How much more info do you need about Matt Roth playing linebacker. Of course he's played nothing but DE for the Phins and that is because we never really ran a freakin true 3-4. He is only 272 pounds! how is he going to hold the point of attack in the 3-4.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...holm022305.htm

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/news/in..._from=&ucat=4&

Last edited by BigBlueCrew56 : 03-01-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:36 AM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Moving Chris Long or Calvin Pace to ILB would be a total waste of there pass rushing skills. Do you expect them to be great at coverage at a good 270 pounds from the ILB spot.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 AM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

I know we need help at DE but it aint going to come from the undersized Roth. He is just like Chris Long in stature.

Last edited by BigBlueCrew56 : 03-01-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:43 AM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

[quote=Joeyjr09;926450]Bro..Why do you assume we are moving Matt Roth to OLB? HE has played nothing but DE since his freshaman year of college and we are hurting for DEs on our roster. With us having JT, Porter, Torbor and likely another pick or Pace at OLB, Roth is gonna be staying at DE.

ILB- Reggie Torbor
ILB- Channing Crowder

And then JT gets dealt. Suddenly our position is Long and Pace with an aging Porter as the top backup and Abe Wright being groomed as a sorta swing OLB. Matt Roth is a FA after next season and will likely not be back because he doesn't fit the system. He will likely play DE this season and that walk at the end of the year. It's very realistic that we still draft an OLB like Long or Gholston so stop getting all bent out of shape over it and saying we are the ones infatuated with those guys when you are so damn obviously ready to get on your knees and blow Jake Long if he walked in your room. [b]I mean chill bro. I know you like Jake Long and he could be the pick but Chris Long and Vernon Gholston are still very realistic options no matter what at this point.[/QUOTE

You are kidding me right??????? Get on my knees for Jake Long HA HA HA that was pretty rediculous for you to come out with a statement like that. Pretty childish if you ask me. I have never stated that Jake Long is the guy that belongs to 100% to be the #1 overall pick to the Phins. I am stating that now that the position seems well in hand at 3-4 OLB that either he or Matt Ryan would be the pick because of the needs the NEEDS once again. And yes i would prefer Jake Long over Matt Ryan at this point. We are still missing the other half of our line. Now if you dont sign Calvin Pace then I can see where it now makes sense to grab Long or Gholston. Especially with a trade of Taylor.

If you paid attention to my last mock you could see that I obviously saw the need for Chris Long at #1. Yes I have made a case for Jake Long to be #1 in the past if we still have Taylor and Porter on the roster. But I can see why Chris Long would have made sense back then. But now you compound it by adding a 20 million dollar guaranteed OLB to go along with another one in Porter who is almost impossible to deal at this point. There is where I see the need to now draft a Long or a Ryan. I am not trying to get into a bitchfest argument with you or anybody else. Just trying to get an educated point across or opionion as in the end we all want what's best for this team. I'am Out

Last edited by BigBlueCrew56 : 03-01-2008 at 10:48 AM.