Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 03-01-2008, 12:13 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
Cmon guys lets get real here. I know there is some real deep infatuation with Chris Long and Vernon Gholston but if Calvin Pace signs for 20 Mil plus guaranteed then we need to start looking elsewhere in the draft. We will be loaded at the 3-4 OLB position even with a trade of Jason Taylor. Another thing is Chris Long will not be a 3-4 DE either as he is vastly undersized for that in the pros. Bill just signed a guy in Randy Starks who played 3-4 end for Maryland who is freakin 6'3 312 pounds.

OLB Calvin Pace
OLB Joey Porter
OLB Reggie Torbor
OLB Matt Roth
OLB Abraham Wright
OLB Jason Taylor (Possible trade bait)

And please stop with the talk of Long playing ILB or Pace playing ILB. You dont pay all this money to have these guys play ILB. You pay them to get to the QB. Releasing Porter seems like a stretch after giving him 20 million in guarantees. I dont think Huizenga wants to admit just yet that he just wasted all that money. Torbor was an undersized DE at Auburn so he may be a nice role player off the bench. The guy too look out for is Matt Roth. At 6'3 270 and experience playing both LB and DE in college is a natural fit at the 3-4. Let alone a nice project player in Wright. The pick is going to come down too QB Matt Ryan or OT Jake Long. I dont think anybody is going to trade up. But if Atlanta is dead set on Ryan then we have them by the ballz now because Chris Long is no longer a lock to us. If we can squeeze them then the draft will fall like this

1. Atlanta- QB Matt Ryan

2. St. Louis- DE Chris Long

3. Miami - OT Jake Long

or

1. Miami- OT Jake Long or QB Matt Ryan

2. St.Louis- DE Chris Long

3. Atlanta- QB Matt Ryan or OT Jake Long

First of all, I don't know why you assume Abe Wright actually fits into the equation at all. He was a 7th round pick and project player, and at this point, Parcells doesn't seem like he's willing to take on any projects. I doubt very highly he make it out of camp on the active roster, same going for Moses. And I agree with Joeyjr, I don't see Roth playing OLB for us nor do I see him lasting past this year. Even with Pace, Porter, and Taylor, I could still see Chris Long being the pick, because Frankly, Jake is not worth the #1 overall selection. If we do keep Jason, I could very easily see him actually getting kicked inside. Similiar to what NE has done with Mike Vrabel and Adalius Thomas, who are obvious outside linebackers. They were just putting the best players on the field, and those players are very versatile and JT is as well. JT intercepts quite a few balls when dropping back into coverage, so I know he's got the smarts and field savvy to play inside and cover, as well as blitz from the inside occasionally. Then Joey Porter would be a top backup, or start until Chris is ready to step in full time. They won't cut him, it would hurt our cap too much. But I could definitely see him as a GREAT situational pass rusher.

I could see it going like this:

LOLB: Chris Long/Joey Porter
LILB: Channing Crowder
RILB: Jason Taylor
ROLB: Calvin Pace

Just something else for you guys to consider with that lineup. It would be a lot of money at one position, but as the Giants have shown, you can never have too many great pass rusher, and JT and JP are up in years so they won't be around much longer, maybe not even past this year. So we ride that great pass rush until next year when JP and JT are gone, then our lineup will be in great shape still for '09:

LOLB: Chris Long
RILB: Reggie Torbor

I just don't see, with Chris's great work ethic and him being the exact type of player that Bill would want, along with the ties to Virginia under former BP assistant Al Groh, that Chris wouldn't be the pick. It seems to be too perfect a fit. Add in that he seems to be the most NFL-Ready player in the draft, for a coach that wants to win now and not wait for the long development of young players. It seems like the can't miss slam dunk pick that Ireland and Parcells need to make for this team. I just hope they go through with it in the end!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell

Last edited by thebow305 : 03-01-2008 at 12:15 PM.
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:23 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Bro you brought up an old article that I remember reading when Roth from before Roth was ever drafted and he hasn't been a LB since he was 18 years old for Christs sake.

Please, until someone with some real clout on the Dolphins comes out and says anything about Roth moving from DE, your just another person talking and speculating and it means nothing. Roth ahs been a DE all thru college and in all thru his Pro career. No reason to think a new coach is suddenly gonna make a change like this. You have to hear something from the coach to think this is gonna happen and do you really think there would be such speculation about us signing Pace and drafting Gholston/Long if we were moving Roth to OLB? Come on man, get real. Just because you think Roth can potentially make the switch doesn't mean he will. The 49ers just signed Justin Smith who plays exactly like Roth to be a DE in their 3-4 front.

I see your trying to get an point across on why we should take Jake Long but your attitude of "y'all are dumb we need Jake and not a OLB" makes no sense. All I've seen you do is talk down to people that don't want Jake Long and your constantly all over the place trying to talk us into wanting him.

This is the deepest OT class of the past 10 years. We can get a 10 year LT at the top (or even bottom if people slide) of round 2. There isn't that luxury with OLBs in this draft and Chris Long and Vernon Gholston are the two biggest defensive game changers in the draft.

Like I said, even if we sign Pace (which still has yet to happen). There is situations where we will need an OLB. Joey Porter and JT have 2 years in them max and Porter already sucks. Why would we pass on the best D players in the draft for a OT when we can get a similar OT in round 2?

Like I said before (which you ignored)

OLB-Calvin Pace, Joey Porter
ILB-Channing Crowder
ILB-Reggie Torbor
OLB-Chris Long/Vernon Gholston

That gets works for them now and Porter is likely gone after next season anyways once his cap number gets to a point where we can cut him. Trade JT for a 2nd and suddenly you have more youth and talented from our all important OLB spots and still numerous picks to address your OL and LT in round 2.

Your negatively towards Long and Gholston just gets annoying. We could definately use both of those guys and they would be welcome additions but all you do is nag and come out with excuses for us to take Jake Long because you like him.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
First of all, I don't know why you assume Abe Wright actually fits into the equation at all. He was a 7th round pick and project player, and at this point, Parcells doesn't seem like he's willing to take on any projects. I doubt very highly he make it out of camp on the active roster, same going for Moses. And I agree with Joeyjr, I don't see Roth playing OLB for us nor do I see him lasting past this year. Even with Pace, Porter, and Taylor, I could still see Chris Long being the pick, because Frankly, Jake is not worth the #1 overall selection. If we do keep Jason, I could very easily see him actually getting kicked inside. Similiar to what NE has done with Mike Vrabel and Adalius Thomas, who are obvious outside linebackers. They were just putting the best players on the field, and those players are very versatile and JT is as well. JT intercepts quite a few balls when dropping back into coverage, so I know he's got the smarts and field savvy to play inside and cover, as well as blitz from the inside occasionally. Then Joey Porter would be a top backup, or start until Chris is ready to step in full time. They won't cut him, it would hurt our cap too much. But I could definitely see him as a GREAT situational pass rusher.

I could see it going like this:

LOLB: Chris Long/Joey Porter
RILB: Jason Taylor

Just something else for you guys to consider with that lineup. It would be a lot of money at one position, but as the Giants have shown, you can never have too many great pass rusher, and JT and JP are up in years so they won't be around much longer, maybe not even past this year. So we ride that great pass rush until next year when JP and JT are gone, then our lineup will be in great shape still for '09:

LOLB: Chris Long
RILB: Reggie Torbor

I just don't see, with Chris's great work ethic and him being the exact type of player that Bill would want, along with the ties to Virginia under former BP assistant Al Groh, that Chris wouldn't be the pick. It seems to be too perfect a fit. Add in that he seems to be the most NFL-Ready player in the draft, for a coach that wants to win now and not wait for the long development of young players. It seems like the can't miss slam dunk pick that Ireland and Parcells need to make for this team. I just hope they go through with it in the end!
Bow, I can't believe I'm saying this but please God help me talk sense into this guy. All he does is hug Jake Long's nuts. I like Jake but damn already, there's a million different things we coudl do with the pick that would be huge help for us and Jake Long is on the middle of that list of things at best.

If we stay at number 1 you have to get the best player and that means Chris Long. If we can swing a trade down to number 3 then with Chris gone I'm all for drafting Jake Long. There's many different situations that can play out but coming up with all these theories because BBC wants Jake Long is just crazy. We need OLBs badly as well.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:31 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
Bro you brought up an old article that I remember reading when Roth from before Roth was ever drafted and he hasn't been a LB since he was 18 years old for Christs sake.

Please, until someone with some real clout on the Dolphins comes out and says anything about Roth moving from DE, your just another person talking and speculating and it means nothing. Roth ahs been a DE all thru college and in all thru his Pro career. No reason to think a new coach is suddenly gonna make a change like this. You have to hear something from the coach to think this is gonna happen and do you really think there would be such speculation about us signing Pace and drafting Gholston/Long if we were moving Roth to OLB? Come on man, get real. Just because you think Roth can potentially make the switch doesn't mean he will. The 49ers just signed Justin Smith who plays exactly like Roth to be a DE in their 3-4 front.

I see your trying to get an point across on why we should take Jake Long but your attitude of "y'all are dumb we need Jake and not a OLB" makes no sense. All I've seen you do is talk down to people that don't want Jake Long and your constantly all over the place trying to talk us into wanting him.

This is the deepest OT class of the past 10 years. We can get a 10 year LT at the top (or even bottom if people slide) of round 2. There isn't that luxury with OLBs in this draft and Chris Long and Vernon Gholston are the two biggest defensive game changers in the draft.

Like I said, even if we sign Pace (which still has yet to happen). There is situations where we will need an OLB. Joey Porter and JT have 2 years in them max and Porter already sucks. Why would we pass on the best D players in the draft for a OT when we can get a similar OT in round 2?

ILB-Channing Crowder
ILB-Reggie Torbor

That gets works for them now and Porter is likely gone after next season anyways once his cap number gets to a point where we can cut him. Trade JT for a 2nd and suddenly you have more youth and talented from our all important OLB spots and still numerous picks to address your OL and LT in round 2.

Your negatively towards Long and Gholston just gets annoying. We could definately use both of those guys and they would be welcome additions but all you do is nag and come out with excuses for us to take Jake Long because you like him.

nevermind.....

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 03-01-2008, 12:39 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:

ILB-Channing Crowder
ILB-Reggie Torbor

I do agree with it I must say, I think taking Jake Long with the # 1 pick would be the absolute biggest waste of a pick. Now at number 3 I would be a little more willing about him, but he is not the number 1 player in this draft, not by a long shot. If we stay at 1, it HAS to be Chris Long, he is the best player in this draft. PERIOD!

If we make the trade with ATL, then it comes down to Vernon Gholston and Jake Long probably and then Jake becomes more realistic, although I still give the nod to Vernon because we can get an OT with very similar value at the top of round 2 or even the bottom of it, like you said Joey. It's for the reason you mentioned about the depth of the OT class and the lackthereof in the elite pass rushers of this draft, I feel it is absolutely imperative that we must land Vernon or Chris, and get a guy like Otah, Williams, or Nicks later. That would work so much better than Jake Long and someone like Quentin Groves, Marcus Howard, or Cliff Avril, who seem to be more project players to me with good athleticism that may not be ready to play for a couple of years. Plus, those OT's I named at better NFL prospects at LT than Jake Long anyway. Get over him already BBC, come on man.

Last edited by thebow305 : 03-01-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.

Guys, seriously, this discussion has gotten out of hand.

Some points:

First off, blue is right. There is no shot in hell that Taylor, Porter, Roth or Pace end up inside. NONE. Torbor might play some there, but that is it. Yes, Moses and Wright are on the roster, but I would not be counting on them at this time. Would that prevent me from taking C. Long or Gholston? Hell no.

Now, like many of you, I do not think Jake Long should be the #1 pick. However, I don't think he is Tony Mandarich, either. I am concerned (like many) that he is more of a RT. But, if the guy ends up being a 10 yr starter in this league at RT, it is not the worst thing in the world. Plus, you have to think that Sparano, Maser and Henning would work like hell to make sure he was successful at LT if drafted. There are definitely guys in this league making a lot of money at LT that have feet slower than Jake Long. If for some reason, it did not work, he goes to RT and is parked there for 10 yrs...

Obviously, I think most of us agree that the trade down is the best option. But, with that being unlikely at this point, my opinion is that you take the best player available. IMO, that is Gholston or McFadden. Do I feel that either will be the pick? No. I think it comes down to C.Long or Matt Ryan, with Jake Long now 3rd...

One argument against J. Long that has been pointed out is the tremendous depth at T in this draft. But, you may notice that not all of them are the true "LT" prospect. Many of them have the question mark about being potential G's or RT's. At the end of the day, you may want to take a guy later who will not cost as much and develop him to be the LT. (I happen to like D. Brown from VA tech as a potential 4th rd pick) The one thing is that with veteran LT at this point, the young guy has to play. So you want to be sure that he is able to protect whichever QB has to play.

The need is there at LT. You have to get somebody to play there.

Now, I can get on my soapbox and talk about the absolute need to trade Jason Taylor........:0)

Just remember, that at the end we all want to see this thing turned around..
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:45 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Guys, seriously, this discussion has gotten out of hand.

Some points:

First off, blue is right. There is no shot in hell that Taylor, Porter, Roth or Pace end up inside. NONE. Torbor might play some there, but that is it. Yes, Moses and Wright are on the roster, but I would not be counting on them at this time. Would that prevent me from taking C. Long or Gholston? Hell no.

Now, like many of you, I do not think Jake Long should be the #1 pick. However, I don't think he is Tony Mandarich, either. I am concerned (like many) that he is more of a RT. But, if the guy ends up being a 10 yr starter in this league at RT, it is not the worst thing in the world. Plus, you have to think that Sparano, Maser and Henning would work like hell to make sure he was successful at LT if drafted. There are definitely guys in this league making a lot of money at LT that have feet slower than Jake Long. If for some reason, it did not work, he goes to RT and is parked there for 10 yrs...

Obviously, I think most of us agree that the trade down is the best option. But, with that being unlikely at this point, my opinion is that you take the best player available. IMO, that is Gholston or McFadden. Do I feel that either will be the pick? No. I think it comes down to C.Long or Matt Ryan, with Jake Long now 3rd...

One argument against J. Long that has been pointed out is the tremendous depth at T in this draft. But, you may notice that not all of them are the true "LT" prospect. Many of them have the question mark about being potential G's or RT's. At the end of the day, you may want to take a guy later who will not cost as much and develop him to be the LT. (I happen to like D. Brown from VA tech as a potential 4th rd pick) The one thing is that with veteran LT at this point, the young guy has to play. So you want to be sure that he is able to protect whichever QB has to play.

The need is there at LT. You have to get somebody to play there.

Now, I can get on my soapbox and talk about the absolute need to trade Jason Taylor........:0)

Just remember, that at the end we all want to see this thing turned around..

Wel, I'm glad you have final say on the personnel decisions in Miami.

You have no friggin idea if Taylor or Porter or Pace or Long would get kicked inside if they were all on the active roster for Week one of the NFL Season. My guess is, someone would. You have to get your best players on the field. And with Taylor being the most versatile, knowledgeable player on our roster, my guess would be him. Stop acting like you know what they will do and you are the say all end all to this conversation. Damn, I can't stand that... None of us know what will really happen, and until the season starts, nothing is for sure.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Bow,

I know my stuff, but don't claim to be anything other than a fan. As for what I know, no chance any of the OLB's end up inside. I really wish people on this board would stop being babies when they are disagreed with...
Old 03-01-2008, 05:49 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Bow,

I know my stuff, but don't claim to be anything other than a fan. As for what I know, no chance any of the OLB's end up inside. I really wish people on this board would stop being babies when they are disagreed with...
No chance?? Wow, that's foolish...

Being babies, how about not being an arrogant know-it-all. You act like you have final say on everything when you really don't know ****...

Old 03-01-2008, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Bow,

I don't recall anyone saying anything about an OLB ending up inside except for Bow with his Jason Taylor talk.

Fail to see how that's any worse then BBC saying Matt Roth is gonna move to OLB.

Outside of that I agree with most of your 1st post.

I would really be fine taking Chris Long at number 1, Carl Nick or if we get lucky a Chris Williams falls as the 1st pick of round 2.

I'd much much rather have a pairing of Chris Long and Carl Nicks then a pairing of Jake Long and Quentin Groves.

Not to mention, does anyone really believe Joey Porter is here after this season? Or that Jason Taylor will be here past his current contract? Even if we sign Pace (which is looking less and less likely by the second) we will need another OLB as soon as next season.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:28 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't recall anyone saying anything about an OLB ending up inside except for Bow with his Jason Taylor talk.

Fail to see how that's any worse then BBC saying Matt Roth is gonna move to OLB.

I would really be fine taking Chris Long at number 1, Carl Nick or if we get lucky a Chris Williams falls as the 1st pick of round 2.

I'd much much rather have a pairing of Chris Long and Carl Nicks then a pairing of Jake Long and Quentin Groves.

Not to mention, does anyone really believe Joey Porter is here after this season? Or that Jason Taylor will be here past his current contract? Even if we sign Pace (which is looking less and less likely by the second) we will need another OLB as soon as next season.
Agreed. It's not hard to see that which is why I'm confused as to why so many people have jumped off the C Long to Miami bandwagon so fast.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:

Joe,

I appreciate you answering the post in a mature manner.

My original was not directed towards anything or anyone other than the fact that there are multiple options. Apparently disagreeing that an all-pro OLB/DE who has never played inside being moved inside when is he 34 yrs old caused some people to cry and get upset and make me an "arrogant know it all". I guess that means we can't express differing opinions. I just wanted to see the discussion continue without insults but some people apparently can't do that.

Anyway, back to football. I tend to think that the first set of tackles may come off the board very quickly in this draft. Obviously, Long will go top 5. Clady may go top 5, but at worst top 10. Otah appears to be between 10 and 20. I think Williams will also go in round 1.

I guess that means the 2nd tier T's are probably where Miami will be selecting from. If that means a Nicks or Anthony Collins, then so be it.

BTW, if it worked out to be Jake Long first with Quentin Groves at #32, I would be thrilled. I tend to think Groves will go a lot higher than people think.

Lets hope we can all continue these discussions normally going forward. It is nice to get some differing opinions and discuss them in a normal manner. Thanks again Joe.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:58 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The news of him signing should be coming soon.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
The news of him signing should be coming soon.
No offense bro. but I've seen you post that a couple times today and yet still nothing. All day yesterday we were waiting on him to sign. And nothing. Not to cut you down or anything but I'm not buying into him signing here until I see it reported by the Dolphins site.

Too many false reports and wierd info coming out on him. Not to mention, if the Dolphins really did offer him a Joey Porter deal, do you really think the guy would say "No thanks, I'm gonna visit your number 1 rivals 1st." I have a hard time beliving Pace wouldn't jump all over that much money right now. And if he didn't, he is too stupid for me to want him on the Dolphins, lol.

In all seriousness, I really do want him here and I hope we can sign him but I hope it for something like 4 years, 25 million dollars and 10 million guaranteed instead of that crazy Joey Porter deal.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:07 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He didn't visit New York, he was here today signing the contract. I have no idea why it isn't being reported yet.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 03-01-2008, 07:09 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
He didn't visit New York, he was here today signing the contract. I have no idea why it isn't being reported yet.
I've seen you say this a couple times but still the reports are coming out that he's in New York.

Where are you getting your info from that makes you so confident when everyone else says he's in NY.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:11 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Considering someone I'm talking saw him today, I doubt he is New York.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 03-01-2008, 07:14 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Considering someone I'm talking saw him today, I doubt he is New York.
And whoever you talked to couldn't have been mistake and saw another person that looked like him?

Not to mention, he was in Miami this morning. He left to NY later in the day.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:39 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Joe,

I appreciate you answering the post in a mature manner.

My original was not directed towards anything or anyone other than the fact that there are multiple options. Apparently disagreeing that an all-pro OLB/DE who has never played inside being moved inside when is he 34 yrs old caused some people to cry and get upset and make me an "arrogant know it all". I guess that means we can't express differing opinions. I just wanted to see the discussion continue without insults but some people apparently can't do that.

Anyway, back to football. I tend to think that the first set of tackles may come off the board very quickly in this draft. Obviously, Long will go top 5. Clady may go top 5, but at worst top 10. Otah appears to be between 10 and 20. I think Williams will also go in round 1.

I guess that means the 2nd tier T's are probably where Miami will be selecting from. If that means a Nicks or Anthony Collins, then so be it.

BTW, if it worked out to be Jake Long first with Quentin Groves at #32, I would be thrilled. I tend to think Groves will go a lot higher than people think.

Lets hope we can all continue these discussions normally going forward. It is nice to get some differing opinions and discuss them in a normal manner. Thanks again Joe.
And Adalius moving inside was probally totally out of the question until they actually DID IT! He's 6'3, 270+ pounds! Also, putting Justin Tuck at DT seemed like a crazy idea... UNTIL THEY DID IT! These are just two cases of not giving a damn and just getting the best players on the field at the same time. Even if the position doesn't fit to a T, great players will make it work and thrive in any situation. It's is a difference of opinion, but it's also foolish to openly state that there is NO CHANCE AT ALL of it happening. JT is just as versatile and athletic, plus more seaoned than Adalius Thomas, so if that's what's best for the team, I doubt JT would be totally against it. I'm just saying, getting the best players on the field at once is the way to go, and if that's how we do it, so be it. If we have Chris Long, Joey Porter, Jason Taylor and Calvin Pace all on the outside, and Channing Crowder, Reggie Torbor, and Ian Gold (not sure if we really signed him) as our only viable inside options, I'll take my chances with JT in the middle over guys like Gold or Torbor, who are less experienced and smaller threats to make big plays. Then have Pace on one side of him, and our # 1 pick Chris Long or Joey Porter on the other side. Whether you think it will work or be done or not, It's my opinion that this front 7 would be pretty nasty:

DE: Vonnie Holliday
NT: Jason Ferguson
DE: Randy Starks
OLB: Chris Long
ILB: Jason Taylor
ILB: Channing Crowder
OLB: Calvin Pace

Last edited by thebow305 : 03-01-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
And Adalius moving inside was probally totally out of the question until they actually DID IT! He's 6'3, 270+ pounds! Also, putting Justin Tuck at DT seemed like a crazy idea... UNTIL THEY DID IT! These are just two cases of not giving a damn and just getting the best players on the field at the same time. Even if the position doesn't fit to a T, great players will make it work and thrive in any situation. It's is a difference of opinion, but it's also foolish to openly state that there is NO CHANCE AT ALL of it happening. JT is just as versatile and athletic, plus more seaoned than Adalius Thomas, so if that's what's best for the team, I doubt JT would be totally against it. I'm just saying, getting the best players on the field at once is the way to go, and if that's how we do it, so be it. If we have Chris Long, Joey Porter, Jason Taylor and Calvin Pace all on the outside, and Channing Crowder, Reggie Torbor, and Ian Gold (not sure if we really signed him) as our only viable inside options, I'll take my chances with JT in the middle over guys like Gold or Torbor, who are less experienced and smaller threats to make big plays. Then have Pace on one side of him, and our # 1 pick Chris Long or Joey Porter on the other side. Whether you think it will work or be done or not, It's my opinion that this front 7 would be pretty nasty:

DE: Vonnie Holliday
NT: Jason Ferguson
DE: Randy Starks
OLB: Chris Long
ILB: Jason Taylor
ILB: Channing Crowder
OLB: Calvin Pace
-We didn't sign Ian Gold. False report by ESPN.
-Randy Starks likely aint gonna be starting. He is a situational role player with us.
-While anything can happen and JT certain has the talent to play ILB, the likely hood of it happening is extremely small and not a realistic thought at this point.

It's jsut as bad as BBC saying Matt Roth was being moved to OLB.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:14 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
-We didn't sign Ian Gold. False report by ESPN.
-Randy Starks likely aint gonna be starting. He is a situational role player with us.
-While anything can happen and JT certain has the talent to play ILB, the likely hood of it happening is extremely small and not a realistic thought at this point.

It's jsut as bad as BBC saying Matt Roth was being moved to OLB.
If it gets our best players on the field you can't rule it out completely though. I agree the chances of it happening are not very good, but I also believe the chances of all of them being on the roster together on Opening Day are slim as well. I saw a rumor about Minnesota offering a 2nd and 3rd for JT. I hope it's true, i would take that in a second. I would be sad to see him go, but it's going to happen eventually, might as well get something good for him now while his value is still relatively high. That would pave the way for Chris Long at # 1 I hope! :)

Old 03-04-2008, 08:34 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Didn't see this posted yet.

Quote:
I think you shouldn't make too much of this, but Bill Parcells, czar of the Dolphins, holder of the first pick in the draft, called Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski the other day and requested video of every one of quarterback Matt Ryan's 654 passes last fall. I still say Ryan at No. 3, to Atlanta, makes the most sense.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...eveland/4.html

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Guru,

I think whether or not they are interested in Ryan, they definitely have to do their homework and at least make it appear that they are. If they like him to consider him a top level QB, then you take him. If not, hopefully the Falcons can be enticed to switch spots and you pick up an extra draft pick or two. To be 100% honest, if Atlanta would bite, I would do drop for their 3rd and 5th rounders. I know that is a big trade chart loser, but you can still get one of the Longs with that pick, you save the bonus $$ and you have yet another player or 2 for the rebuilding process.......
Old 03-05-2008, 02:02 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

BigBlueCrew56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Does Atlanta bite though???? Hard to say. With all this info leaking out about us watching tape about Ryan and Mock drafts having Ryan makes me feel confident that Ryan will not be the pick and all this is just a big smoke screen into scaring a team like Atlanta into giving us extra pics. I dont know if they fall for it though unless Arthur Blank truly has mandated to this GM that he must get Ryan at all cost. With the signing of McCown and Beck still in the fold I find it hard to beleive that they will spend the #1 pick on Ryan. A player who I beleive doesnt even come close to a #1 pick type grade. I'd prefer to take Joe Flacco in the second. Also I know this may be beating a dead horse and I am the first to know how many of you oppose of this happening but Jake Long still is a real possibility with the first pick. Especially since they really havent addressed the offensive line via free agency other then picking up Smiley. We still have a gaping hole at Tackle and we can certainly use about 2 or 3 more lineman for depth. As it stands now our Line looks like this

LT ????? Or Vernon Carey
LG ?????????????
C Samson Satele
RG Justin Smiley
RT Vernon Carey or ????????

Lots of holes needless to say.
BigBlueCrew56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:17 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
Does Atlanta bite though???? Hard to say. With all this info leaking out about us watching tape about Ryan and Mock drafts having Ryan makes me feel confident that Ryan will not be the pick and all this is just a big smoke screen into scaring a team like Atlanta into giving us extra pics. I dont know if they fall for it though unless Arthur Blank truly has mandated to this GM that he must get Ryan at all cost. With the signing of McCown and Beck still in the fold I find it hard to beleive that they will spend the #1 pick on Ryan. A player who I beleive doesnt even come close to a #1 pick type grade. I'd prefer to take Joe Flacco in the second. Also I know this may be beating a dead horse and I am the first to know how many of you oppose of this happening but Jake Long still is a real possibility with the first pick. Especially since they really havent addressed the offensive line via free agency other then picking up Smiley. We still have a gaping hole at Tackle and we can certainly use about 2 or 3 more lineman for depth. As it stands now our Line looks like this

LT ????? Or Vernon Carey
LG ?????????????
C Samson Satele
RG Justin Smiley
RT Vernon Carey or ????????

Lots of holes needless to say.
Blue,

If I had to make a bet, I would bet against the trade down even though everyone knows that is their preference. I was just hoping out loud with my earlier post.
You are correct that J. Long has to be in the picture at this point as a possible selection. I think it looks right now like the pick's last name would be Long or Ryan. Not sure if its Jake or Chris, yet. I just really hope they can get out of there and make a move down with Atlanta.......

BTW, I think Flacco goes in round 1. There is too much hype for this guy right now and I don't think he makes it to our pick in round 2. I think Henne is a more realistic possibility at this point in round 2. Or maybe they decide to just get one later on in the draft (Ainge, O'Connell) and let Beck and McCown hammer it out for the job.....