Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 03-06-2008, 04:00 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Aggressiveness and finishing blocks isn't something that you coach, a guy either has that or doesn't. Could he be motivated to play better and more consistent? Sure, but he isn't going to become this nasty guy over night. The d1/Newberry argument is terrible.
It just brings me to question how many D2 OT's have been successful in the NFL. I would much rather have the guy that has 4 year's starting experience at a D1 school, was a potential first rounder one time, has been apart of one of the most successful ground games in the nation the past couple years, and can completely take his guy out of the play at times. Sure he gets tired and will take a play or two off, it's rare to find a 330 pound guy who doesn't. He has the potential to be dominant with the right coaching and motivation. McNeill was pegged as having chronic back problems and taking plays off prior to the 06 draft. What happened to him, he's a Pro Bowler now in San Diego after only his rookie season. I'll take my chances.

Dolphins Dream Offseason 2014: Re-Sign Paul Soliai and Brent Grimes. Sign Brandon Albert, Sam Shields & Rashad Jennings. The Draft: 1. Kelvin Benjamin 2. Xavier Su'a-Filo 3. Seantrel Henderson 4. Xavier Grimble 5. Dion Bailey 6. Jalen Saunders 7. Nevin Lawson
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
The ideal Parcells lineman in the second round has got to be Carl Nicks. At 6'5
330 he is the real deal. Just dont know if he will be sitting there in the back end of the 2nd round. Heath Benedict is also an option but where the hell is Newberry college and why wasnt this guy on atleast some type of division 1 program.
I think Carl Nicks and Anthony Collins will be be going right around where our low 2nd is and I think both a possible targets for Parcells.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.

Well, it looks like Gholston might be in play for the #1 pick. Per NFL network, Pasqualoni worked him out yesterday and they took him out to dinner after his pro day... Ran 4.58 with 42' vertical. I hope they really do consider him because he is the guy who I think can make the biggest impact in this draft if they are stuck at #1 (Which is looking more and more likely each day) C. Long may be more steady, but I think Gholston may have more star potential...
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:59 AM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

BigBlueCrew56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We will probably be hearing the same things coming out real soon with Matt Ryan,Chris Long, and Jake Long. Team is doing it's due diligence.
BigBlueCrew56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:22 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Hey Mando, what's the truth behind Gholston's Pro Day?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=377837

NFL personnel arrived at the Ohio State Pro Day excited about how DE Vernon Gholston would work out. He no doubt looks the part: very muscular and defined. Gholston impressed many when he ran his 40 on field turf instead of Ohio State's notoriously fast track, timing a 4.63 and a 4.65. Then jumped a 37-38 inch vertical; anyone who reports he jumped 42 inches has bad sources as the testing unit was slightly broken during his jump. Once on the field, though, Gholston was not nearly as impressive. He is so muscle-bound and big that he struggled to bend knees and sink hips, which hindered his ability to change directions in drills.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Blue,

You are correct about the posturing, though I think it would not matter much with Gholston because I don't think anyone would trade to #1 to get him. Reading your link there is just funny because it is amazing how different people in attendance viewed the workout with an opposite viewpoint....... I will stand by what I said before that Gholston has a tremendous upside. I just can't wait for the draft to get here to end the suspense.

BTW, they signed Keith Davis, the Dallas S today. Good ST guy and added depth in the secondary. Looks like they are really focusing on ST this offseason.....
Old 03-11-2008, 01:42 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Love the signing of Keith Davis. Special Teams is so important so I am glad that Parcells and company are addressing this. Davis will be the captain on our special teams much like he was with the Cowboys. Love it!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:45 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Gholston has tremendous upside but also has tremendous Bust side. Could be a workout warrior. I'd would have to go Chris Long if I had to choose because there is a lower risk of failure due to his pedigree. Howie was such a great player that Chris is going to try his hardest to match that. He will always have motivation on the field no matter what.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Hey Mando, what's the truth behind Gholston's Pro Day?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=377837

NFL personnel arrived at the Ohio State Pro Day excited about how DE Vernon Gholston would work out. He no doubt looks the part: very muscular and defined. Gholston impressed many when he ran his 40 on field turf instead of Ohio State's notoriously fast track, timing a 4.63 and a 4.65. Then jumped a 37-38 inch vertical; anyone who reports he jumped 42 inches has bad sources as the testing unit was slightly broken during his jump. Once on the field, though, Gholston was not nearly as impressive. He is so muscle-bound and big that he struggled to bend knees and sink hips, which hindered his ability to change directions in drills.
BTW,

The muscle bound thing might be more of a concern for us considering they want him as a 3-4 LB. For teams looking at him as a DE, I don't think it would matter too much. If they are looking for more a quick-hip player at OLB, Quentin Groves from Auburn is that guy. (Though definitely not at #1) He will go somewhere in the early part of round 1 (10-20)
Old 03-11-2008, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Gholston has tremendous upside but also has tremendous Bust side. Could be a workout warrior. I'd would have to go Chris Long if I had to choose because there is a lower risk of failure due to his pedigree. Howie was such a great player that Chris is going to try his hardest to match that. He will always have motivation on the field no matter what.
No doubt that he has a higher downside to go along with the higher upside. I really happen to like him as a player, though. Again, I don't have an issue with C. Long, I just don't think he will be special. Gholston might be. Although, I am not the one putting up $30 million + guaranteed, so if it was my cash, I might play it safer as well.....
Old 03-11-2008, 01:49 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

I agree Quag I think he may be a bust if drafted as a 3-4 OLB. He is better suited playing with his hands down and maybe 3-4 OLB on 3rd down. He needs to be in a hybrid style of defense much like what the Rams play. 1-2 down they play 4-3 then on third downs he moves over to OLB to rush the QB.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

His best fit may be with the Patriots where they wont rely on him from day one. He will be a situational pass rusher for them. After years of grooming and maybe drills to become more flexible he can convert to be there full time 3-4 OLB. I also think the Rams at #2 would be a nice fit for him as they play hybrid.

Last edited by BigBlueCrew56 : 03-11-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

I disagree with you guys completely on him playing with his hand down. He ahs the most upside as a OLB in the 3-4. The dude has Kameron Wimbley, Demarcus Ware written all over him IMO. I would love to have him, he just doesn't really seem to fir with our pick as most people think Chris Long is the better OLB prospect. I think Long is the one of the two that is better suited to play with his hand down. Gholston on the other hand is the best 3-4 OLB in this draft IMO. Too bad his value seems in the 3-6 range which is just too big a reach it appears for us to take him. I'd love to have him tho.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
I disagree with you guys completely on him playing with his hand down. He ahs the most upside as a OLB in the 3-4. The dude has Kameron Wimbley, Demarcus Ware written all over him IMO. I would love to have him, he just doesn't really seem to fir with our pick as most people think Chris Long is the better OLB prospect. I think Long is the one of the two that is better suited to play with his hand down. Gholston on the other hand is the best 3-4 OLB in this draft IMO. Too bad his value seems in the 3-6 range which is just too big a reach it appears for us to take him. I'd love to have him tho.
Joe,

Just to confirm, I love the idea of drafting him at #1. If the pick was mine, Gholston would be the guy. I was just saying that if they have fears of him being too stiff in the hips, they should go another direction. I totally agree that as a pass rusher, he is everything you want. But, if he is going to be in coverage on occasion, you do not want the RB's killing him on passes out of the backfield. But, again, he would be my choice over C. Long or J. Long as the #1 pick. I just think that no matter which one they take, they will end up with a good player. It is just that Gholston could end up being great..
Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Joe,

Just to confirm, I love the idea of drafting him at #1. If the pick was mine, Gholston would be the guy. I was just saying that if they have fears of him being too stiff in the hips, they should go another direction. I totally agree that as a pass rusher, he is everything you want. But, if he is going to be in coverage on occasion, you do not want the RB's killing him on passes out of the backfield. But, again, he would be my choice over C. Long or J. Long as the #1 pick. I just think that no matter which one they take, they will end up with a good player. It is just that Gholston could end up being great..
But Chris Long could also end up being great as well. I don't understand where all these people come off saying he has NO upside and he will be good but probably never great. His dad was a Hall of Famer and I see that same potential and upside for Chris. He is an explosive, instinctive player and a team leader that as no problem getting and staying motivated. I see him stepping in at OLB for us and being GREAT for a long, long time.

For the record though, I would absolutely LOVE to have either one of these guys and I think it will ultimately come down to these 2 for our pick, with Ryan and Jake falling out of the discussion eventually. I just feel like Long has all the ties and is TOO MUCH of a Parcells guy for the Tuna to pass on him. He is the MUCH safer and probably smarter pick for us at #1.

I would not be surprised if we took either one though.

Dolphins Dream Offseason 2014: Re-Sign Paul Soliai and Brent Grimes. Sign Brandon Albert, Sam Shields & Rashad Jennings. The Draft: 1. Kelvin Benjamin 2. Xavier Su'a-Filo 3. Seantrel Henderson 4. Xavier Grimble 5. Dion Bailey 6. Jalen Saunders 7. Nevin Lawson
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote