Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 02-18-2008, 11:17 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default If I was Ron Turner....

Finish this sentence.

If I was Ron Turner...

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:30 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would stop taking plays from Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:31 PM    (permalink
DaBear89
Rookie

DaBear89 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would quit.
DaBear89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:45 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd hire my brother.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:48 PM    (permalink
DaBear89
Rookie

DaBear89 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
I'd hire my brother.
nevermind I change my answer to that
DaBear89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:53 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

beg the coaching staff to get me back bernard berrian, get me some oline help, and also i would get coaching the hell out of kyle orton
Old 02-19-2008, 12:00 AM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would learn how to not completely abandon calls that are effective.
Use misdirection and more formations.
Learn how to adjust during a game (Applies to Lovie Smith too).
Old 02-19-2008, 07:21 AM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope we use more 2 TE formations. Also get Des Clark involved more in the passing game. I just hope we can run the ball more effectively. Garrett Wolfe should also see the field more and was pretty good in his limited role last year.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i would stop using Devin hester on those weird screens and tosses

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:09 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ask for a real quarterback.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I were Ron Turner, I'd have a much shorter name than I do now.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 AM    (permalink
NEtimehester

I would put hester in the backfield. It would be easier to set up screens and maybe give him a couple toss plays. When owens was motioned out of the back field against us it created some mismatches and I remember that killing us in that game, maybe do a bit of that.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:10 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Ask for a real quarterback.
I'm hoping that Matt Ryan falls to us. I'm not saying he's the next Manning but I think he'll be a lot better than Orton or Grossman and next years crop as of now isn't great.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEtimehester View Post
I would put hester in the backfield. It would be easier to set up screens and maybe give him a couple toss plays. When owens was motioned out of the back field against us it created some mismatches and I remember that killing us in that game, maybe do a bit of that.
Garrett Wolfe looked real good on the screen passes and his vision as a rb i think is underrated. I hope Wolfe gets more touches.

edit: lol, sorry I keep double posting.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:14 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regoob2 View Post
I'm hoping that Matt Ryan falls to us. I'm not saying he's the next Manning but I think he'll be a lot better than Orton or Grossman and next years crop as of now isn't great.
i think all the hype around ryan stems from one play vs. virginia tech...i dont want him.

you say oh, hes got all the right size and arm strength and leadership, but every year theres guys who are perfectly sized with cannon arms who dont even get a whiff of the nfl

the more i think about it the more i think maybe QB is a bad choice early in the draft. why not give 66% career winning percentage kyle orton a chance and use those picks to get him some more help
Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
i think all the hype around ryan stems from one play vs. virginia tech...i dont want him.

you say oh, hes got all the right size and arm strength and leadership, but every year theres guys who are perfectly sized with cannon arms who dont even get a whiff of the nfl

the more i think about it the more i think maybe QB is a bad choice early in the draft. why not give 66% career winning percentage kyle orton a chance and use those picks to get him some more help
The reason Orton has a 66% has nothing to do with Orton and everything to do with our D. We need to bring in some competition at the qb position and Matt Ryan is a good qb. Matt has that "it" factor and is a good leader which is something that won't have.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:21 PM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

would Matt Ryan really be worse than Kyle Orton or Rex Grossman though?

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:28 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by regoob2 View Post
The reason Orton has a 66% has nothing to do with Orton and everything to do with our D. We need to bring in some competition at the qb position and Matt Ryan is a good qb. Matt has that "it" factor and is a good leader which is something that won't have.
hmm...orton has won 2/3 of the games hes started in the nfl and matt ryan has....not started any games in the nfl.

orton: 6'4 217
ryan: 6'5 218

and btw, his rookie year you may have been right with the "D" comment. but last year he went 2-1 (66%) at the end of the year when most of the worthwhile defenders were hurt.

also, why couldnt that same D do wonders with rex in there? while he was busy throwing picks and making ******** looking fumbles, that defense was getting mighty exhausted marching back onto the field time and time and time again. orton, for what he has played, has held onto the football worlds better than grossman.

now i dont think orton is anything close to a franchise QB but guess what, he wont cost us a first rounder to give a shot at starting to.

plus, why not give him a shot. if we bring in a rookie QB, we're basically accepting that at least the next year or two are going to be a waste getting him ready to play. if orton doesnt work out, thats just 1 year down and if he does work out, we could be right back in contention.

i cant justify the taking of a first round QB now.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:38 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hahah....66% win percetange Kyle Orton is like saying 66% win percentage Terrance Metcalf. Just because he was on the team doesn't mean he had **** to do with those wins.

Orton has a career passer rating of 62.2. That's a lot more important to me than how many games the defense won for him.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:18 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Hahah....66% win percetange Kyle Orton is like saying 66% win percentage Terrance Metcalf. Just because he was on the team doesn't mean he had **** to do with those wins.

Orton has a career passer rating of 62.2. That's a lot more important to me than how many games the defense won for him.
metcalf doesnt touch the ball on every offensive play.

and like i said earlier, why wasnt the defense winning all of those games for grossman? when he throws a pick on 2nd down and gives the other team the ball on the bears 35, well that all the sudden makes it damn hard for the defense....

orton takes care of the ball a lot better than that. even if its just a three and out followed by a punt, it puts the defense in a much better position.

also, 5 of his 13 picks as a rookie came in one bad game against the bengals. that means over the other what...17 games hes played hes got a 12-10 TD-int ratio

now like i said, theres probably very little chance hes ever going to be a true "franchise" QB but a guy who does enough to win 2/3 of his games paired with a tough defense is certainly worth a chance in my book. bringing in a rookie, especially in the first round, will only detract from whatever chance he gets as pressure to play the young guy will only mount
Old 02-19-2008, 03:27 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The not using two tight end thing was what bugged me for much of the year on his offensive playcalling. I like our fullbacks, but when you have Olsen and Clark, that offers a lot of advantages in the passing game. There aren't many teams with 2 LB's that can match up well enough against our TE's. It's a nice mismatch situation. Add in some speed on the edges with Berrian and a solid WR on the other side, there's the potential for a diverse passing attack that we've never really had (assuming we keep Berrian).

Of course, Ron is from the old power school with a lead fullback. Moreover, I do understand to an extent that, in an effort to help Cedric get it going, we did need a fullback. Cedric needs that lead blocker. I'd love a well-rounded Joseph Addai type, or to go a little more zone blocking and have, say, Jamaal Charles operate out of single back sets with the two tight ends. I don't buy Adrian and Garrett being able to operate out of single back and produce consistently.

It's times like these that I wish we had a Parcells/Belichick disciple, a guy who valued the usage of TE's and knows how to take advantage of them. That's our one big offensive personnel strength, heck, maybe our biggest personnel strength in many respects.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:47 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

would be nice...i think how the WR situation shakes out will alter plans for the TEs for sure.

i think if we got berrian back and add in hester/bradley off an on with 2 big TE's in the middle.....ooo thatd be nice

it would eliminate our need for a possession WR in the wake of cutting muhammad as well, so we could draft a...idk....hardy, sweed someone like that if available after the first round and let them develop until we get more of the offense figured out
Old 02-19-2008, 05:05 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem is, I don't really see Turner going consistently this route. He's old school in many respects, and he's not going to phase out the FB that much, IMO.

I don't think there's a need to draft a possession wide receiver in the first 3 rounds. My personal dream would be Jerome Simpson in the 4th, although I think there's a shot he goes in the 3rd. Don't rule out a Jordy Nelson or Adarius Bowman in the 4th either. I'd take a chance on both of them if they fell that far. Keenan Burton, Paul Hubbard, Adrian Arrington, Edward Williams are all day 2 guys that could be intriguing. Josh Morgan could be value in the 4th, and I'd be mildly intrigued. Steve Johnson, Decody Fagg and others could be intriguing later.

Short of it is, I wouldn't draft a possession guy in the top 3 rounds. If there's a playmaking WR, that's worth it. Now, granted, maybe I am nitpicking here, as I'd hardly call Limas Sweed a possession guy (there's some talk of a low 4.4 number, but many are thinking sub 4.5). In general, I wouldn't take a WR in the first 3 rounds unless the value was absolutely off the charts, and even then I'd only consider it in the third round. I'd rather add a Marty Booker to go with Mark Bradley, Devin Hester and hopefully Bernard Berrian.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:16 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
The problem is, I don't really see Turner going consistently this route. He's old school in many respects, and he's not going to phase out the FB that much, IMO.

I don't think there's a need to draft a possession wide receiver in the first 3 rounds. My personal dream would be Jerome Simpson in the 4th, although I think there's a shot he goes in the 3rd. Don't rule out a Jordy Nelson or Adarius Bowman in the 4th either. I'd take a chance on both of them if they fell that far. Keenan Burton, Paul Hubbard, Adrian Arrington, Edward Williams are all day 2 guys that could be intriguing. Josh Morgan could be value in the 4th, and I'd be mildly intrigued. Steve Johnson, Decody Fagg and others could be intriguing later.

Short of it is, I wouldn't draft a possession guy in the top 3 rounds. If there's a playmaking WR, that's worth it. Now, granted, maybe I am nitpicking here, as I'd hardly call Limas Sweed a possession guy (there's some talk of a low 4.4 number, but many are thinking sub 4.5). In general, I wouldn't take a WR in the first 3 rounds unless the value was absolutely off the charts, and even then I'd only consider it in the third round. I'd rather add a Marty Booker to go with Mark Bradley, Devin Hester and hopefully Bernard Berrian.
hmm...if bowman can get back to the potential first round form before his injury, he would be an amazing pickup in the 4th or later.

and also, when i say "possession WR", i usually just mean someone bigger than your average WR. i always like having a guy like that around. i know you could consider a 5'10 (maybe) wes welker a possession WR so i need to stop using that word, lol

another guy whos name i would throw out, though he likely wont be drafted, is danny amendola of texas tech. hes not particularly big or fast but in the TT games i saw this year, he was making the key drive sustaining catches more often than even crabtree. after i saw him a couple of times, i looked at scotts rankings and he wasnt even on there which made me think he might not be draft eligable....but no....he was a senior. now hes on there at #40.

i think he could be an interesting idea and we might not even have to blow a pick
Old 02-19-2008, 06:01 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

On a whole aside, I'm curious how the Fontel Mines developmental project goes from two perspectives. The first being that I'm a UVA fan. The 2nd being that, it seems quite likely this will be Desmond Clark's final year with us. I'm hard pressed to see us spending to keep him in 2009. Thus, it'd be nice to develop a backup TE that can catch more than John Gilmore. In many ways, Fontel Mines move does somewhat remind me of Desmond Clark's, with the difference being that Desmond was a more productive collegian that has a bit better athletic ability. That said, if Mines can develop his blocking and show the receiving ability, then he'd be a solid number 2 to Greg Olsen. I see that Mines is listed at 244 now, which is a solid weight if he can maintain it, although I imagine his frame is probably close to maxed out.