Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-21-2008, 12:05 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.
Default Quick pre-combine mock

Resign/Cut

Resign Hall, Boley, Davis
Let Crocker leave
Cut Dunn
Restructure Brooking

Free agents:

Maurice Williams, to play RG. Clabo sticks at RT.

Isaac Sopanga, NT.

Eugene Wilson, FS if JW continues to suck, NB if JW gets his act together.

Musa Smith, RB.

Jeb Putzier, TE (solid blocking TE to pair with Milner; I quite like Milner, maybe more than most)

Draft:

1: Sedrick Ellis NT (will start, backed up by Sopanga, Lewis backs up Babs at UT)

2a: Anthony Collins LT (will back up Weiner for the first year, then start; raw, but massive potential)

2b: Chad Henne or Joe Flacco QB (whichever is available; Redman resigned to be caretaker for this year) (might need a slight trade up, using a future pick)

3: Ray Rice RB (comes in straight away to tag-team with Norwood; Smith and Snelling are useful backup)

4: Ben Moffitt MLB (if Brook is moving back to WLB, Moffitt will compete with Nicholas and Taylor... not entirely happy with MLB situation, but you can't fix everything immediately)

4b: (Kerney comp): Curtis Johnson DE (local boy, undersized speed rusher to backup Abraham; has major potential, and can learn from the best)

5: Brandon Coutu K (may think it's early, but I want to make sure we get the right guy; obviously has to be addressed).

6: Brian Witherspoon CB (crazy fast, great return man, development potential)

7a: Kerry Brown OG (need depth, and could be useful)

7b: Darien Williams S (ST guy, with some upside)

I think that addresses most areas of need. The big potential holes where we are relying on young guys to come good are MLB and TE. Maybe the young guys will perform, maybe they won't. If not, I can really see us addressing Mike in the 1st next year, when Laury and ReyRey will be great prospects. There should also be decent TE prospects in the 2nd. We could also look for a SS in the 3rd if Stone doesn't come up to proof.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:19 PM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not liking it. I think Clabo's natural position is at right guard, and Maurice Williams' natural position is at right tackle.

Sedrick Ellis is a UT not an NT.

Ray Rice will not fit in this system. Having two speedsters in Mularkey's power offense will not work out.

Clark Johnson, with how well he's been doing, might never fall to our fourth round pick.

Brandon Coutu is so overrated. He's not worth a fifth nor a sixth. Do you realize that he missed a 20 yard field goal in the Senior Bowl?
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
I'm not liking it. I think Clabo's natural position is at right guard, and Maurice Williams' natural position is at right tackle.
I agree, but I like the combination of the two.

Quote:
Sedrick Ellis is a UT not an NT.
He played both at USC and he is strong and fast enough to play either in the NFL.

Quote:
Ray Rice will not fit in this system. Having two speedsters in Mularkey's power offense will not work out.
Ray Rice is not just a "speedster," in fact, his style is similar to Frank Gore.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, for sure Ellis could play NT and in no way is Rice considered a speedster in my mind... just watch the game film.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:06 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Rice has a great height:weight ratio, I have no idea how people think that he is just a speedster. If anything, that's his biggest question mark...

Personally, I think Clabo performed better at RT than at RG, but that might just be because he was a year more experienced. As for Maurice Williams, I think he can play either. But eh, the combination either way...

As for Ellis, he can certainly play NT. He's not necessarily the type of NT that Zimmer wanted Grady to be, where he just sits still and occupied two blockers, but Ellis is extremely solid against the run - mainly through excellent leverage - and gives you an additional pass-rush threat.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:12 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

An alternative:

1: Matt Ryan
2a: Sam Baker
2b: Pat Sims, Dre Moore
3: Wheeler/Lofton/Mayo
4: Matt Forte / Kevin Smith

There really is a lot of depth at our positions of need...
Old 02-22-2008, 08:25 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

0 for 2 with our first 2 picks...
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:38 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

In your opinion.

Ryan, we've had that argument various times.

Baker, he may not be dominant physically, but for a 2nd round pick you can't get a more reliable pass protector. There are various guys I'd prefer, including Collins, but I'd certainly not be upset with Baker in the 2nd.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:56 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Carl Nicks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sam Baker
Old 02-22-2008, 09:23 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Mmm, good reasoning.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:25 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

I'd be reasonably happy with either. Nicks has a higher upside, no doubt, and can probably play anywhere along the line, but Baker is the far more accomplished pass protector at the moment. Taking Nicks over Baker would be a gamble. Might be a successful gamble, but a risk nonetheless.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:40 AM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
I'd be reasonably happy with either. Nicks has a higher upside, no doubt, and can probably play anywhere along the line, but Baker is the far more accomplished pass protector at the moment. Taking Nicks over Baker would be a gamble. Might be a successful gamble, but a risk nonetheless.
In terms of run blocking

Nicks >>>>> Baker

Important of run blocking in a POWER RUN BLOCKING SCHEME:

Run Blocking >>>>> Pass Protection
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:27 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Nicks is not only 100x stronger but in run blocking he's at the top of the draft. As far as pass blocking goes...everyone is going to have a lot of work to do...Nicks has some of the longest arms in the draft...which if you didn't know is one of the biggest keys in keeping defenders at bay and make for the best pass blockers. Nicks has all the tools to actually end up being the best LT in the draft. He may need a little extra technique work, but this kid has every physical attribute you'd design someone to have.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:46 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Better reasoning. I actually agree that Nicks would be a good possibility. I simply repeat my earlier submissions. It'd be a bit of a gamble, given that he has barely a full year starting, and Baker has proven to be a very very solid pass protector. Also, he's not exactly a midget. Either would be a good option, in my view.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:17 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Quinn Ojinnaka fits our scheme then I doubt we would stay away from Baker.

Largest Patriots Starting OL- 6'4" 315 (Nick Kazcur)
Average Patriots OL- 6'3.6" / 306.2 pounds

The Jaguars line is bigger, but just making a point.

Next Up: 2012

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 02-22-2008 at 02:21 PM.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote