Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Yung Flippa
Veteran

Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default 49ers being Investigated...Could Lose Draft Pick

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS Ė The NFL is investigating a charge by the Chicago Bears that the San Francisco 49ers tampered last year by making overtures to linebacker Lance Briggs, three league sources said.

Chicago and San Francisco discussed a trade in October that would have sent Briggs, a Northern California native, to the 49ers. However, the Bearsí grievance claims that San Francisco held contract talks with agent Drew Rosenhaus during the season, thus interfering with a player under contract.

The 49ersí counter is that they talked to the Bears first about a possible deal, then contacted Rosenhaus and the NFL Management Council about signing Briggs to a new contract. Because Briggs was designated a franchise player by Chicago last offseason and didnít reach a long-term deal before the prescribed deadline in July, he was not eligible to sign a new contract with the Bears or any other team, even if he was traded.

San Francisco dropped the idea of trading for Briggs at that point. Briggs, who got the Bears to agree not to franchise him this offseason when he signed last yearís one-year tender, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this month.

If the 49ers are found to have tampered, they could be fined or lose a draft pick.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Baltimore: 7-4
Yung Flippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:56 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Naughty, naughty!
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't understand why they want him so bad. Is he even that great of a fit?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:00 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I don't understand why they want him so bad. Is he even that great of a fit?
NFL Network said no, but their wallets say yes, and it would be a great compliment to Patrick Willis.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:06 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He would be a nice interior fit for them ... which makes me shake my head literally (i am doing so right now) for their desire to get stacked at ILB, when there are so many other needs. Give Brandon Moore a shot. Go out and add someone on the cheap.

Anyhow, maybe they wised up. Wouldn't it suck, though, to lose a pick, on top of what they want through this year?
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
He would be a nice interior fit for them ... which makes me shake my head literally (i am doing so right now) for their desire to get stacked at ILB, when there are so many other needs. Give Brandon Moore a shot. Go out and add someone on the cheap.

Anyhow, maybe they wised up. Wouldn't it suck, though, to lose a pick, on top of what they want through this year?
Yes it would be unfortunate. Hopefully this is only idle speculation and nothing genuine. As for Brandon Moore, he showed us in preseason why he didn't deserve to start. He kept missing a ton of tackles and just wasn't being effective. Not to mention he tires out quite easily.

Lance Briggs on the other hand, is a great player I'm sure, but it's uncertain whether he would be effective in our scheme. I'd be more concerned about shoring up the defensive line by resigning Marques Douglas first.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if they do its safe to say i will laugh
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Getting 2 pricey ILBs in the 3-4 is beyond moronic. Further proof that the 49ers don't know what theyre doing, and Nolan needs to be fired asap.

Im a big supporter of a 4-3 defense being put in place in SF. If thats the case, then Briggs would be a nice compliment although still unnecessary.

I like Nolan's attitude and approach, but this team is a mess right now.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:19 PM    (permalink
DaBear89
Rookie

DaBear89 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

so what is this? ContactGate? BriggsGate? RosenhuasGate?
DaBear89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tampering is rampant in the league, how stupid do you have to be if you really get caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Getting 2 pricey ILBs in the 3-4 is beyond moronic. Further proof that the 49ers don't know what theyre doing, and Nolan needs to be fired asap.

Im a big supporter of a 4-3 defense being put in place in SF. If thats the case, then Briggs would be a nice compliment although still unnecessary.

I like Nolan's attitude and approach, but this team is a mess right now.
Nolan doesn't have final say on personnel anymore, McCloughan does.

But yeah, it's stupid. Unless they run a base 4-2-5 defense with Willis and Briggs manning the defense, lol. Or go 4-3 and have Manny Lawson rush 90% of the time from every which way.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:32 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Tampering is rampant in the league, how stupid do you have to be if you really get caught.

Nolan doesn't have final say on personnel anymore, McCloughan does.

But yeah, it's stupid. Unless they run a base 4-2-5 defense with Willis and Briggs manning the defense, lol. Or go 4-3 and have Manny Lawson rush 90% of the time from every which way.
Manny can be used in a Julian Peterson type of role. Or possibly gain weight, get up to 265 and play fulltime RE in a base 4-3.

I would suggest a switch to Tampa 2, but they just forked over a ton of money to Clements, and that would be wasted unless they use more of a man Cover 2 hybrid scheme. Either way, it just makes more sense going to a 4-3 alignment in my eyes.

I think theyre a long way from being legit again. Unless theres a dramatic turn around in the trenches. I can't believe they gave up a 1st for Joe Staley.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:38 PM    (permalink
defensiveback23
Veteran

defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.

Talk about kicking a team while they're down. At least when the Pats lost a draft pick they could win.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:41 PM    (permalink
DaBear89
Rookie

DaBear89 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defensiveback23 View Post
Talk about kicking a team while they're down. At least when the Pats lost a draft pick they could win.
not to mention had SF 1st. question, can goodell strip SF of it's 1st, thus taking it away from the Pats? true justice hehehe
DaBear89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:42 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I think theyre a long way from being legit again. Unless theres a dramatic turn around in the trenches. I can't believe they gave up a 1st for Joe Staley.

I dont believe anyone around the NFL thought that the 9ers would have performed as bad as they did and would be picking @ 7. The trade that enabled the Staley pick was sound if as expected we were picking in the 15 - 22 range.

That said Staley was far from a disapointment this year and apart from being schooled against the Giants he held up well. He's a great prospect that will likely move to LT next season.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Assuming Staley looks good at left tackle as I think he will, I don't think it was a really bad deal for the 49ers. They get a talented left tackle for the price of the 29th (I think) overall pick, as opposed to the 7th overall pick the next year with no experience.

Granted, this year they might not have taken Clady. Maybe Sed Ellis?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:45 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan View Post
[/b]

I dont believe anyone around the NFL thought that the 9ers would have performed as bad as they did and would be picking @ 7. The trade that enabled the Staley pick was sound if as expected we were picking in the 15 - 22 range.

That said Staley was far from a disapointment this year and apart from being schooled against the Giants he held up well. He's a great prospect that will likely move to LT next season.
Honestly, I didn't expect them to do as well as people thought. I was not a fan of their offseason at all, although some of their moves i questioned actually weren't as bad as i thought they'd be.

Staley, I dunno. I always had Ugoh rated higher. Now I had no idea Ugoh would play as well as he did, but I did like him more than Staley. Im not sold yet on Staley making a successful transition yet. He might need another year before he's ready, and giving up that much for a player who needs time to develop is a questionable move.

I readily admit though, my knowledge of Staley comes mostly from college tape and the Giants/49ers game. Ive seen him other times too, but i haven't focused on him as much as I should have.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:15 PM    (permalink
papa burgundy
Rookie

papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Yes it would be unfortunate. Hopefully this is only idle speculation and nothing genuine. As for Brandon Moore, he showed us in preseason why he didn't deserve to start. He kept missing a ton of tackles and just wasn't being effective. Not to mention he tires out quite easily.

Lance Briggs on the other hand, is a great player I'm sure, but it's uncertain whether he would be effective in our scheme. I'd be more concerned about shoring up the defensive line by resigning Marques Douglas first.
Yeah Brandon Moore's 2 missed tackles in the pre-season completely overshadowed his dominance in the second half of the season before... the only thing benching him showed was Nolans incompetence in dealing with players. He replaced him with Derek "more missed tackles in actual games than I could shake a stick at" Smith. Nolan is an idiot and will always be a failure.. I can't wait for next off-season when we fire that moron and hire Rob Chudzinski who made the Browns bottom 5 offense into a top 10 offense in one year flat.. unlike Garrett and McDaniels who were handed the keys to top 10 offenses and became candidates off of that. And I've been on the Chudzinski for head coach trip since mid season so anyone who wants to jump on can suck it theres only room for me on this bandwagon.
papa burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Staley is legit. I was another person that thought the Niners would flop (and was roundly criticized for saying so). That said, I'd take Staley a year ahead at a much cheaper price than Ryan Clady at #7 this year. I think it worked out pretty well for them all things considered.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Looks like a lot of teams are finding out that what flew with Tagliabue isn't going to fly with Goodell.

I think the important question to ask here is what does all of these types of things say about the legacy of Paul Tagliabue? No one seems to be asking that question. I think that we all agree that this type of behavior is fairly commonplace in the league regardless of whether or not the 49ers are the only team that has been caught in recent memory, but there have been questions/talk of this type of stuff for years, with no action.

Then there is the Patriots situation where they had been doing what they were doing for years and years and years and no one told them to stop. Then Goodell comes in and boom, they are in the principles office.

Then there is all the personal conduct stuff.

It's all starting to add up to lead to the differences between the two commissioners and how the "Good Ol Boy Network" just isn't going to fly anymore. It looks like a lot of teams are still feeling out the new boss to see what they can get away with.

It also seems like a lot of teams are crying foul much faster because of it. [/random observations]
Old 02-21-2008, 09:29 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Take away the pick they traded to NE and screw two teams!

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

We'll see if anything really happens, if there is sufficient evidence at hand. The Patriots accused the Jets of tampering with Deion Branch before the 06 season, nothing really came of it.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:44 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
We'll see if anything really happens, if there is sufficient evidence at hand. The Patriots accused the Jets of tampering with Deion Branch before the 06 season, nothing really came of it.
Was that BGE (Before Goodell Era) or AGE?
What round pick would be taken away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:44 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we sign Briggs...move to the 4-3. Having a 3-4 with 1 high priced ILB in Briggs, and another soon-to-be high priced ILB in Willis, is not smart. Especially when the TED ILB role in our 3-4 can be filled by any average ILB. And especially when we need outside pass rushers badly.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Don't most rookies sign six year deals these days? Willis shouldn't be ridiculously costed for a long time...
Old 02-21-2008, 09:47 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Don't most rookies sign six year deals these days? Willis shouldn't be ridiculously costed for a long time...
I was thinking the same thing...

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote