Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:40 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkar Mace View Post
I don't understand why New England did not apply the franchise tag to Randy Moss, regardless of whether or not they were close to a deal. Even if they were, why not do the same thing Indianapolis did with Dallas Clark? He was signed two days after being tagged to a long term deal.

It seems to me that New England is not committed to Randy Moss, as that has always been their modus operandi when dealing with players asking for a big payday. Given that four of the seven receivers on their 2007 roster are free agents (five if they've opted not to pick up Kelley Washington's roster bonus, I'm not sure), I don't believe they have the depth to run the same spread-type offense in 2008. Perhaps they feel Moss is replaceable at a lower price. His primary value, particularly in the playoffs, seemed to be to draw coverage to his side of the field to open up other receivers, and without the depth at receiver they had 2007, they may not feel he is worth what he is asking for.

As for Dallas, I'm sure Jerry Jones would like to sign Moss and will send an offer his way, but who knows if Moss would accept it? Moss and T.O. would be interesting to watch, and if both have matured a bit having realized they don't have much time left to win the SB, perhaps they can co-exist. But back when T.O. was a free agent after his incident on the Eagles, Moss wasn't particularly excited about the prospect of T.O. going to Oakland. But perhaps he's changed his mind since then.
Stallworth and Moss IMO will both end up walking and we'll see Welker, Chad Jackson and either a vet or draft pick taking the third/second spot.

I don't know why Tampa hasn't been in the mix though.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:42 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

I smell Danial Snyder
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:44 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Bears should sign Randy Moss.

He can't run-block for **** and only runs the 9 route, but oh dear heavens, imagine that 9 route with Sexy to the Rexy slinging that ball deep. It will be wonderful splendor.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:48 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

Doesnt Rex have enough people yelling at him now? you thought him and pepper didnt get along wait till you see Moss Grossman lol
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:54 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Philly isnt a bad fit for him honestly, they may not have the best chance to win but who knows if thats what he even wants...If you cant win a ring with the Pats, obviously you know you cant just pick a team and assume they will win anything this early...

New England must really have a horrible offer on the table if he doesnt stay, because he is on the team with the best chance to win, and best case scenario for huge stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:08 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Philly isnt a bad fit for him honestly, they may not have the best chance to win but who knows if thats what he even wants...If you cant win a ring with the Pats, obviously you know you cant just pick a team and assume they will win anything this early...

New England must really have a horrible offer on the table if he doesnt stay, because he is on the team with the best chance to win, and best case scenario for huge stats.
NE isn't known for investing into 30+ year olds with multi-year deals...i wouldn't be surprised to see moss looking for a multi-year deal.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

moss an t.o together...i smell trouble

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:55 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

come to green bay Randy. were winners now

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:11 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Id love to have him on the Giants. I rather sign and extend him than DeAngelo Hall (although I wouldn't hate that move either).

Then keep the 31st pick and get DRC. Come on Reese. Make it happen. He wants to be a winner? We just won the SB. Make it happen.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How insane would Moss Edwards and Winslow be with our offensive line and Jamal Lewis.............. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:40 PM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I dont think Moss is going anywhere but him and Colston with Brees. That would be a site to see.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:00 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I bet he's going to have more then a "few" offers on the table for him this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Raiders should Moss, they need a #1 WR.

lololololol
Old 02-26-2008, 01:18 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I think "if" and I do mean "if" randy isn't signed...there is realistically 5 teams that he would logically go to.

Dallas
Indy
GB
NYG
SD

Now those aren't the only teams...outside shots like NO could be an option...but realistically those 5 teams are legit superbowl contendors.

Now would GB really bring in Moss for a multi-year deal with Driver/Jennings/Jones
Indy with Harrison/Wayne/Gonzalez
Dallas with TO/Glenn/Crayton
NYG with Plax/Toomer/Smith
SD with Chambers/Gates

I also think QB play comes into mind...and I would have to say I can't buy him being sold on Rivers.

GB didn't take him when they could get him for cheap with concerns...now he is another year old and they don't exactly have a reputation for giving old players extensions either....Thompson believes in his young talent...you sure don't see it often from GB...so I can't buy it.

Indy has too much money invested into the WR corps to even think about it if my thoughts are right.

Dallas isn't in Cap heaven...but JJ can manipulate the cap to get this to work no problem..and has a history bringing in veterans.

Lastly the Giants have the ability to get a deal done...

So in the end I think it's...will Dal or NY give him a mult-year deal that the pats won't....and if they don't he'll stay a Patriot....but I'm pretty sure we'll see him test the waters...if only to tease the other teams.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:03 PM    (permalink
RollingMoss
Rookie

RollingMoss hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.RollingMoss hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

People....Randy Moss will NEVER sign with Dallas. He Hates Dallas; Jerry Jones said they would draft him, they didn't. Randy is not someone to cross, and then expect him to forgive you, and Jerry Jones crossed him. This isn't a cap space, or T.O. thing; this is a Randy doesn't trust Jones thing.

I also agree with the poster who said NE's philosophy has been that Everyone (not named Brady) is expendable. They are egotistical and arrogant enough to think they'd be fine w/o Moss; they wouldn't. I guarentee they lowballed him, Big Time, and he's pissed about it.

Open Letter to Zygi Wilf: Randy Would come back; he knows Red McCombs is a fat Texan piece of dirt and he knows the Fans here never wanted him to leave. We have the cap space, we have the need, we have attractive pieces to put around him. Open the Bank. Bring Back Moss. Oh Sweet McGillicutty, Bring Back Moss.
RollingMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:23 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I think the Raiders should Moss, they need a #1 WR.

lololololol
I'm lawlz at your sentence. :)
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Last edited by Flyboy : 02-27-2008 at 01:29 AM.
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:27 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

are people forgeting that Owens is in the last year of his contract?
and will be 35 at the end of next year when moss will be 30

cowboys signing moss wouldnt shock me, owens could be gone next year
and hes not that young how much left could he have?

Moss would be a great replacement for Owens, Romo is going to need a new guy
this could be Owens last year of Prime which they could use to help in a superbowl run
and then let him go and Patrick Clyaton should be ready to step in

you say he hates Dallas, well lets se how much he hate them when they toss him money

Last edited by The Legend : 02-27-2008 at 06:31 AM.
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

An awful lot of people seem to be throwing **** against the wall hoping it sticks...

Quote:
Citing two NFL sources, AOL Sports' Sean Jensen reports Randy Moss is expected to sign a "multi-year deal" to stay in New England.

There was never much doubt Moss would stay with the Super Bowl runner-ups. Moss' deal, which can't become official until Friday at 12AM, figures to make him the NFL's richest wideout, though it may be surpassed by Larry Fitzgerald's deal later in the offseason. The contract is expected to be for three years, $30 million with $12-15 million guaranteed. Jensen adds that impending free agent Lance Briggs is slated to sign with San Francisco.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:07 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
An awful lot of people seem to be throwing **** against the wall hoping it sticks...
well that sets that... that alot of money
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Well I think "if" and I do mean "if" randy isn't signed...there is realistically 5 teams that he would logically go to.

Dallas
Indy
GB
NYG
SD

Now those aren't the only teams...outside shots like NO could be an option...but realistically those 5 teams are legit superbowl contendors.

Now would GB really bring in Moss for a multi-year deal with Driver/Jennings/Jones
Indy with Harrison/Wayne/Gonzalez
Dallas with TO/Glenn/Crayton
NYG with Plax/Toomer/Smith
SD with Chambers/Gates

I also think QB play comes into mind...and I would have to say I can't buy him being sold on Rivers.

GB didn't take him when they could get him for cheap with concerns...now he is another year old and they don't exactly have a reputation for giving old players extensions either....Thompson believes in his young talent...you sure don't see it often from GB...so I can't buy it.

Indy has too much money invested into the WR corps to even think about it if my thoughts are right.

Dallas isn't in Cap heaven...but JJ can manipulate the cap to get this to work no problem..and has a history bringing in veterans.

Lastly the Giants have the ability to get a deal done...

So in the end I think it's...will Dal or NY give him a mult-year deal that the pats won't....and if they don't he'll stay a Patriot....but I'm pretty sure we'll see him test the waters...if only to tease the other teams.
I seriously doubt the Giants would offer him a deal. It looks like he is resigning anyway with the Pats.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:05 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
well that sets that... that alot of money
Even that is not done. I'd love to believe it is, but honestly, we won't know for another 48 hours...
Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Quote:
I think it's more this Czar idiot saying more wrong ****, as usual.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:06 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

John Czarnecki is wroooonnnnng!

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:09 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingMoss View Post
Open Letter to Zygi Wilf: Randy Would come back; he knows Red McCombs is a fat Texan piece of dirt and he knows the Fans here never wanted him to leave. We have the cap space, we have the need, we have attractive pieces to put around him. Open the Bank. Bring Back Moss. Oh Sweet McGillicutty, Bring Back Moss.
Interesting idea, but Childress-Moss would never work out. And that's probably more of an indictment on Childress than it is Moss.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Starkar Mace

Quote:
I believe this is the article the quote you had was referring to:
http://sports.aol.com/voices/jensen/...26105209990001

What it says:
Quote:
Receiver Randy Moss is expected to sign a multi-year deal to remain with the New England Patriots, according to two league sources, and linebacker Lance Briggs has been pegged to land in San Francisco.

2) WR Randy Moss. Last week, there was the “Will they, won’t they…” on whether the Patriots would franchise tag Moss. But Moss is expected to re-sign with the Patriots later this week, and his contract is projected to be for three years, at an average of $10 million per season, including $12 million to $15 million guaranteed.

Could he get more elsewhere?

Of course. But he truly does want to win, and although he did not achieve his ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl last season, Moss still recognizes the value in remaining with the Patriots.

After lamenting his quarterbacks the past few seasons, Moss clicked for record numbers with Tom Brady. In addition, with talented players like Laurence Maroney, Wes Welker and Ben Watson around him, Moss wouldn’t face as many double teams as he would elsewhere.

But his 2008 team shouldn’t expect 2007 Randy Moss; that was a season in which all the stars aligned perfectly.

One concern: Moss turned 31 this month, and he has dealt with recurring injuries.
It sounds like this is also a rumor this writer picked up at the Combine when you read the article in its entirety. Obviously, Moss re-signing with the Patriots sounds more credible as a rumor than Moss and the Patriots not being close on a deal, but I think that's only because people can't comprehend the Patriots not willing to bend over backward for him.

Slightly unrelated, but also of note: the article mentions that linebacker Lance Briggs is pegged to land in San Francisco, but obviously any such verbal deal would be tampering. Admittedly, the 49ers are being investigated for that. But that was last year, so you would think they wouldn't tamper this year with the same player again, and PFT reports that the 49ers have not expressed interest in Briggs yet.

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008...-san-fran-yet/

Ultimately, it seems that two writers go to the combine, and each comes away with a contradictory rumor (at least as far as the Moss stories go, PFT's story seems to be separate from Combine rumors whereas I don't think Jensen's is). I think at this juncture it's equally likely that Moss re-signs as it is that they aren't close to a deal. They aren't even necessarily mutually exclusive... Mos could be nowhere near signing a deal, but at the same time, the two sources at the Combine Jensen spoke to believe that he ultimately will.

I personally don't believe Moss will re-sign, because there have been several things that indicate to me that he's not necessarily committed to the Patriots, and they aren't committed to him. First, he backed out of the Pro Bowl, which seemed to me as an action intended to prevent injury due to the upcoming free agency. Whether that's just to ensure he isn't lowballed by the Patriots, or if he intendeds to shop himself and go back to the Patriots with his best offer, or even take that offer if the Patriots don't match it, it could be any of those things or none of them. He could have been injured in the Super Bowl, I don't know personally, perhaps someone more familiar with the situation can shed some light on it.

Likewise, when New England didn't franchise tag Moss, I thought it was also suspicious. If they were close to a deal, why not tag him anyway just to lock him up to prevent tampering, as most sports writers projected them to do? Since he can't re-sign prior to free agency due to a provision in the CBA, regardless of a verbal agreement, he can always jump ship if he gets a new offer. If the Patriots and Randy Moss have already agreed to a deal verbally, why would he get upset if they tagged him?

And then, like I mentioned before, after taking a pay cut, setting a new receiving touchdown record, but not winning the Super Bowl, it seems logical that Moss will want to be paid a little closer to his value now that he's revived his career. Add to that his age, and this is the last chance for him to get a long term, lucrative deal done. New England tends to let players looking for these sorts of deals walk/get traded (see: Deion Branch, Asante Samuel).

But like Jay said, at this juncture, who knows who is writing about false rumors and who is writing about true ones? We'll find out on Friday. And if I misinterpreted the stuff I said above, and Moss is signed by New England at 12:01am EST Friday, I'll admit I was wrong.