Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:48 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I love DMac, though I have cooled on him slightly throughout the year. He seems like a bit of a punk, and I can't shake the comparison between him and Reggie Bush, now that we've seen Reggie struggle so badly running between the tackles in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong, if we had the #3 pick or lower, I would probably be cool with draft him. But there is such a precipitous drop-off salary wise between picks in the top 5, that the difference between #1 and #3 is close to 20m now. I could see offering DMac 7m per season....barely. Any more and I just don't have the stomach.

And this is coming from someone who thinks that a premiere, dominant, HOF-type RB can do as much for your team as anything outside of the equivalent player at QB. When it all shakes out, if DMac is a Marshall Faulk or LT caliber player, then I would be fine with using the #1 pick on him, no matter the cost. The uncertainty of it, though, is what scares me away. Paying that kind of money for Reggie Bush would cripple this franchise for years to come. *shudder*
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:59 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah i think this would be a bad move on the cowboys part. They are a very good team right now as it is and with 2 first round draft picks they'll be even better. Why give it all up for a draft pick to take Dmac. They could get a good runner in Stewart or Mendenhall. Dmac reminds me a lot of Bush and looks nothing like a franchise RB IMO. Their best move would be to stay where they are.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
Well, I love DMac, though I have cooled on him slightly throughout the year. He seems like a bit of a punk, and I can't shake the comparison between him and Reggie Bush, now that we've seen Reggie struggle so badly running between the tackles in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong, if we had the #3 pick or lower, I would probably be cool with draft him. But there is such a precipitous drop-off salary wise between picks in the top 5, that the difference between #1 and #3 is close to 20m now. I could see offering DMac 7m per season....barely. Any more and I just don't have the stomach.

And this is coming from someone who thinks that a premiere, dominant, HOF-type RB can do as much for your team as anything outside of the equivalent player at QB. When it all shakes out, if DMac is a Marshall Faulk or LT caliber player, then I would be fine with using the #1 pick on him, no matter the cost. The uncertainty of it, though, is what scares me away. Paying that kind of money for Reggie Bush would cripple this franchise for years to come. *shudder*
I actually don't like the comparison to Bush. And he's definitely not LT.. I don't care how many passing TDs he's thrown, he's not LT. Faulk is an interesting comparison. I actually do see that one being a fit running wise, however Faulk was a tremendous receiver and we don't know if McFadden has that kind of ability, in fact, I'm pretty comfortable in saying he doesn't have that kind of ability. Faulk was great at it.

What do you think of the comparison to Tony Dorsett? I like that one. Would you pay that much for Dorsett version 2?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:15 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Eric Dickerson comparison is spot-on. That upright, long-striding running style with the tendency to bounce it outside? I don't know. Seems perfect. They showed a clip of Dickerson throwing the ball for a TD once as well.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:18 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

apparently the titans might be interested in him, from rumors ive heard of what jeff fisher has been saying
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What will make or break DMac in the NFL is if he'll be able to run between the tackles at that level. I don't care how fast he is, he can't expect to be an All Pro back in the NFL by bouncing it outside all the time. If he flops like Bush between the tackles, he's going to disappoint.

But we don't know that yet. People didn't know Peterson could catch until he did it. Same with DMac. We won't know until he does it.

One thing's for sure, to me, he's no AD. But that doesn't mean he can't be good.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eric Dickerson is who comes to mind when I watch him play, they are eerily similiar in running styles...But I agree he's no AD I dont care what his combine numbers are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:30 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think there are any RBs in the game today like him. He doesnt have a fourth of the moves Reggie Bush did. He isnt able to shrug off arm tackles like they were nothing like Adrian Peterson does. I dont think Eric Dickerson is a good comparison either, because Dickerson = Peterson.

He is like a cannon ball out of a cannon. He explodes through holes like no other. If there is a tiny gap open and a linebacker slow to get there, he is gone. He gains to much steam, there arent many guys who will be able to stop him.

But if he doesnt have that cannon shot, I think he is your average running back. Decent plethora of moves, but nothing Norwood esque. Decent power, but will have troubles pushing piles and will have trouble with arm tackles. He does have a beastly stiff arm though. He could probably stiff arm a guy halfway across the field.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:46 AM    (permalink
Dolfan2788
Rookie

Dolfan2788 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This is a terrible idea for both teams. Neither team can get value out of this trade. No matter which way you spin this or what picks are involved the value for either team is simply not going to be there.

The Dolphins would be happy with a value of near enough to the 1st overall because of the complexities and difficulty of trading down particularly in this draft. However, the Cowboys with the position they are in can only offer that kind of value by mortgaging too much of their draft picks in 1 player who I believe might not even be as good as the one they are supposedly giving up.

I personally don't see this happening. Although the rumour of a trade with any kind of compensation (Picks or players) is still lingering and I don't see an alterior motive for either team at this point to keep the rumour alive so it seemingly has merit imo.
Dolfan2788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:57 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

2 1st this year, 1st next year and spears works for me
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Pokeys
Veteran

Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsfan79 View Post
2 1st this year, 1st next year and spears works for me
**** that...

Texas Longhorns: CB Marcus Davis, QB Garrett Gilbert, OT Mason Walters, RB Chris Whaley! The next great batch.
Pokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LOL, yeah. That offer is no better than the orginal rumored deal with MBIII.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:39 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

DMC = Robert Smith
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:18 PM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if I am the Cowboys I make this trade and then select Jake Long.

Marion Barber is not worth #1 overall value. Only issue I see is that McFadden isn't either.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks01234 View Post

Marion Barber is not worth #1 overall value. Only issue I see is that McFadden isn't either.
We just signed Flozell to long term deal, and Colombo is pretty much entrenched at the RT spot. So what's the point? Though I do like Long a lot.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Pacific
Rookie

Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks01234 View Post

Then what would you do at running back? After trading Barber, and Jones leaving via FA, you'd feel comfortable with Tyson Thompson?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:56 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why wouldn't the Fins just take McFadden or trade down and get Mendenhall or someone