Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 02-27-2008, 09:47 AM    (permalink
bergo23
Rookie

bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.
Default Kenny Phillips, a dream come true?

With all the hype he had his freshman and soph years, who knew he has the chance to fall to us at #27?! I sure hope Scott is Wright......cuz Phillips has the chance to fill a hole nobody since Rodney Harrison could fill. An intimidator back there who has better cover skills than McCree.

My only hesitation is the U's reputation for off the field issues........AJ Smith will not take a chance on a player he thinks will be a headcase off the field.
bergo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Before I was excited for the charger to have the chance to draft Reggie Smith for Safety. But, after seeing Scotts Mock Draft and the Chargers drafting Phillips I am pumped. Phillips has the talent to go top 15. If the bolts snag phillips at 27 this could be one of the steals of the 1st round IMO.

For the character concerns I think after the fight last year he has learned his lesson. I do not think there are any character issues with him anymore.

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:27 PM    (permalink
defensiveback23
Veteran

defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.

Phillips would be, in my opinion, the best player in the draft for us other than Jake Long. We would finally have a true probowl caliber player that would solidify the secondary. He and Weddle would make one of the most formidable tandems in the league down the line. I think the minor character issues he had in the past would be an almost non issue because they aren't really severe.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:23 AM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Wow, thanks to a poor JR. season and a poor pro bowl. The chargers would get the steal of the draft if this happens.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:14 PM    (permalink
DonWoods33
Rookie

DonWoods33 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defensiveback23 View Post
Phillips would be, in my opinion, the best player in the draft for us other than Jake Long. We would finally have a true probowl caliber player that would solidify the secondary. He and Weddle would make one of the most formidable tandems in the league down the line. I think the minor character issues he had in the past would be an almost non issue because they aren't really severe.
These are young guys and bound to f-up like all young guys do, he hasn't been involved in a shooting or anything like that (Merriweather). They are supposed to re-sign Hart, but this guy has awesome potential. Could you imagine a starting four of Jammer, Cromartie, Weddle and Phillips, if they all play to their talents, that would be by far the best secondary since Mike Williams, Willie Buchanon days. And what a turn around in just two years, from being the weak link of the team to the strongest unit on the team (if not the entire league). One can only hope this happens.
DonWoods33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:27 PM    (permalink
SDSupaChargers
Rookie

SDSupaChargers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SDSupaChargers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would absolutely love to see Kenny in a chargers uni, but realistically I just don't see it happening. The best safety in the draft still being available at pick 27? I mean, I guess it's possible, but it seems very unlikely that that will be the case. Also, what's the deal with Oliver moving to safety? Because if he does then CB is the need not S. The draft could determine that depending on who's available at our pick, but if the staff has already decided to move Oliver to safety then we might not even be looking for one in the draft. And regardless actually I don't really see safety as that big of a need, even though Kenny would be a steal. We have Weddle and Hart as our starters and I would expect it to stay that way. RT/RG I think is a much bigger need and there should be at least one very good prospect available (Branden Albert, Gosder Cherilus) at the end of the first considering how deep this years OT class is.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:04 PM    (permalink
defensiveback23
Veteran

defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSupaChargers View Post
I would absolutely love to see Kenny in a chargers uni, but realistically I just don't see it happening. The best safety in the draft still being available at pick 27? I mean, I guess it's possible, but it seems very unlikely that that will be the case. Also, what's the deal with Oliver moving to safety? Because if he does then CB is the need not S. The draft could determine that depending on who's available at our pick, but if the staff has already decided to move Oliver to safety then we might not even be looking for one in the draft. And regardless actually I don't really see safety as that big of a need, even though Kenny would be a steal. We have Weddle and Hart as our starters and I would expect it to stay that way. RT/RG I think is a much bigger need and there should be at least one very good prospect available (Branden Albert, Gosder Cherilus) at the end of the first considering how deep this years OT class is.
The plan for Oliver is to play him in Weddle's old CB/S hybrid dime-back role. He'll get snaps at both positions and depending on how well he does the coaching staff will make a decision with what position he ultimately ends up at.

I agree with you and would be pretty shocked to see Phillips fall to 27. Although I think the most pressing need is DB and not oline. Florence is gone and nobody has proven the have the ability to step into nickel next season. Hart is a pretty good safety but nothing special. He misses much more tackles than a safety should and has limitations in coverage. Ideally we'll get a player that can play nickel until eventually supplanting Hart down the line, ie Reggie Smith. I think Phillips would be able to fill that role too though.

The reason I don't think we'll go oline is the team is content with Clary at RT and Mruczkowski has been groomed to take over for Goff. I think AJ will do what he usually does and draft linemen with his last picks.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:43 PM    (permalink
TheChandlerFlash

Phillips has no character issues. Wow there are some pretty ignorant people on here.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChandlerFlash View Post
Phillips has no character issues. Wow there are some pretty ignorant people on here.
Yea. This is why Miami gets a bad wrap. Cause people just assume our kids have character issues and they open their mouths without knowing what they are talking about. Kenny Phillips was not even involved in the FIU fight as anything more then a peacemaker. He is a great kid and he keeps on the straight and narrow. He is on the bottom of the list of people in this draft with character issues.

I can't believe people still spew this crap without even looking up what they are talking about. No wonder everyone hates Miami. People still go out and call our classiest players Thugs and knock them down for character reasons when the kid has never been in any trouble in his entire life.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:22 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll believe Kenny Phillips has fallen when I see it. At 27 this would be an absolute no brainer pick. I'd dance around in circles. I can't see him getting past Philly or even Houston though. Or Carolina. damnit!
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:23 PM    (permalink
UncleHulka
Rookie

UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
I'll believe Kenny Phillips has fallen when I see it. At 27 this would be an absolute no brainer pick. I'd dance around in circles. I can't see him getting past Philly or even Houston though. Or Carolina. damnit!
Philly is rumored to be trading up to get Chris Williams. I think Carolina takes Albert or best OT... and Houston, well, who knows what they will do. I suspect that the big name OT's will all be gone so they'll be left with maybe Mayo or Jonathon Stewart. Now that the Saints have signed yet another corner they probably take Rivers, so I think DRC will be around when those teams pick, as well. And I doubt if any team needing DB help will take Phillips over him. Washington is a possibility I suppose, though drafting another Miami safety to replace Taylor may put too much pressure on Phillips for them to consider. Of course, I don't think it really matters if he is there. I just don't see AJ Smith taking a Miami U player in the first round. And he surely wants to trade down anyway.
UncleHulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:54 PM    (permalink
KRS1
Rookie

KRS1 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Kevin Acee in the signonsandiego mailbag says today that he doesn't see AJ trading out of the first round. He also mentions that because Florence and Turner signing big contracts as FA's we will probably get a 3rd and 4th round comp pick in the 2009 draft so AJ may use those to trade up and get another 1st day pick or 2 this year.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:23 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well with Hart signing a 5 year deal and Weddle in the fold, I think we can safely say the Kenny Phillips dream is dead. It's time to get onboard the Gosder Cherilus bandwagon.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote