Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 02-29-2008, 02:25 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They also signed Wilford, and already signed Smiley.

The intriguing thing is the Torbor signing and the interest in Pace. The obvious is that, if they get both, it sure seems like Taylor/Porter are on their way out.

It also would seem to dampen the possibility of a rush backer 1st overall.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
Also signed giants FA Reggie Torbor LB.
I think that KFFL retracted that statement. They may have jumped the gun there.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They also have an agreement with Wilford locked up now, should be announced shortly. He decided to go with them over Buffalo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:32 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We traded for Jason Ferguson too.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

So far we have gotten:

Signed:
Earnest Wilford, WR, 29
Randy Starks, DT, 24
Sean Ryan, TE, 27
Jason Ferguson, NT, 33

Agreed to terms, can't confirm a signing:
Reggie Torber, LB, 27
Justin Smiley, OG, 26

Visiting and expected to sign:
Calvin Pace, LB, 27
Josh McCown, 28

If I told you that was what we ended up with after one day of FA. What would your reaction be? No one really grossly overpaid either (except maybe Pace) and most either good deal for us or reasonable contract that are fair for both sides.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

also expected to sign Texan LB Courtney Anderson
Marino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:32 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Josh McCown signing confirmed for the Dolphins.
---

DOLPHINS SIGN JOSH MCCOWN by Michael David Smith

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Miami Dolphins have reached a contract agreement with free agent quarterback Josh McCown.

Per Schefter, the contract is a two-year deal worth $6.25 million. Although that's a contract more in line with what a backup usually makes, McCown may very well be the Dolphins' starter in September. Of the three quarterbacks on the Dolphins' 2007 roster, two -- Trent Green and Cleo Lemon -- are already gone, and the third -- John Beck -- was unimpressive in the four games he started.

McCown started nine games for the Raiders last year, completing 58.4 percent of his passes and throwing 10 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He previously started 22 games for the Cardinals from 2003 to 2005, and he spent the 2006 season with the Lions, where his only regular-season playing time came at wide receiver.

The Dolphins have been the busiest team in the league on a very busy first day of free agency.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Walter Sobchak

Jake Long...Jake long...Jake Long #1
Old 02-29-2008, 04:22 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

BigBlueCrew56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Oh yeah it is so looking like Jake Long is coming to town. WOW it has to be Sparano getting into the ear of Bill on getting Long. Wow loving the moves loving it today in South Florida. Lots of buzz

DE Randy Starks- Great addition as a possible 3-4 end

WR Ernest Wilfork- Big physical wideout we needed

OG Justin Smiley- Great young addition to what can be a very talented line

QB Josh McCown- Perfect stop gap QB who really has a chance to prove himself worthy here. Is still young at 28 and a perfect guy to compete with Beck and a drafted QB.

OLB Reggie Torbor- Another great addition from my hometown Giants. He played DE at auburn and we where using him as a SLB. He can play 3-4 OLB or possibly may even have a home in the middle. Quality player wether backing up or starting. Saved the Giants when Kiwanuka went down.

NT Jason Ferguson- Yeah he is up there at 33 but he is certainly a guy we needed to help groom some of our younger NT's like Solai and Fifita. Will fit in nicely in the middle of our 3-4.

Pending

OLB Calvin Pace- Guy could be a beast. Finally was able to show what he is capable once the Cards changed to a 3/4 defense. Will pretty much end all talks about C.Long or Gholston with the 1st pick.

Last edited by BigBlueCrew56 : 02-29-2008 at 04:24 PM.
BigBlueCrew56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:04 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

It's official

By Bucky Brooks, SI.com

According to a league source, the Dolphins have agreed to terms with free agent defensive end Calvin Pace.

The fifth-year pro is coming off his best season after recording 98 tackles, including 6 1/2 sacks. The financial terms haven't been disclosed but is believed to include over $20 million in guaranteed money.

Pace's signing leaves Joey Porter's status with the team in limbo after being the team's marquee signing a season ago.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
Oh yeah it is so looking like Jake Long is coming to town. WOW it has to be Sparano getting into the ear of Bill on getting Long. Wow loving the moves loving it today in South Florida. Lots of buzz

DE Randy Starks- Great addition as a possible 3-4 end

WR Ernest Wilfork- Big physical wideout we needed

OG Justin Smiley- Great young addition to what can be a very talented line

QB Josh McCown- Perfect stop gap QB who really has a chance to prove himself worthy here. Is still young at 28 and a perfect guy to compete with Beck and a drafted QB.

OLB Reggie Torbor- Another great addition from my hometown Giants. He played DE at auburn and we where using him as a SLB. He can play 3-4 OLB or possibly may even have a home in the middle. Quality player wether backing up or starting. Saved the Giants when Kiwanuka went down.

NT Jason Ferguson- Yeah he is up there at 33 but he is certainly a guy we needed to help groom some of our younger NT's like Solai and Fifita. Will fit in nicely in the middle of our 3-4.

Pending

OLB Calvin Pace- Guy could be a beast. Finally was able to show what he is capable once the Cards changed to a 3/4 defense. Will pretty much end all talks about C.Long or Gholston with the 1st pick.
Blue,

As someone who has watched teams like Washington and Denver jump into free agency huge on day one and get no results in prior yrs, I am always skeptical. However, with that being said, I like all of the signings for their philosophy of improving the size and toughness of the team. The 2 most expensive ones are the ones that concern me. Smiley looked like he was going to be a player when he came out and really did not play well the last couple yrs. Not sure if the injuries had something to do with it, but I hope they look him over more than once medically before committing to him. As for Pace, if it is official (so far only SI has it), I am a little scared. I love the concept of a big 3-4 rush LB, but you have to wonder about a guy who was a disappointment prior to this yr who makes it big on a contract yr.

I really like the Starks signing (alot!) and the Ferguson deal. Wilford is a solid possession receiver who comes from a very physical offense. Ryan is a blocking TE who adds great size to the position and who I think will be a nice blocking TE/H-Back in Henning's system. Don't know much about Anderson other than his size/speed ratio matches what they are looking for and could help our depth at LB. Torbor is one of those guys who may be ready to blossom in our system. As long as they did not pay him too much, I think he can be a very valuable asset for depth at the absolute worst and he may have ability to be a starter here.....

Finally, McCown is a perfect fit for the backup/spot starter type at QB. I hope they give Beck a fair shot, but McCown does have some ability. Though I do think they have to address QB early in the draft if they are counting on him. He has a nice arm and fits the big QB style that Tuna likes.

All in all, solid first day with the ability to jump to great if Smiley and Pace work out. If they don't, the grade drops a lot.

Now, if they can just start with the Jason Taylor trade talk, I will be happy...
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Blue,

One last thing, I do not think they are out of the Long/Gholston pick even with these signings. There is still a lot of age at the position and one of these guys still fits. Especially with a Jason Taylor trade (please!!)
Old 03-01-2008, 12:32 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Blue,

One last thing, I do not think they are out of the Long/Gholston pick even with these signings. There is still a lot of age at the position and one of these guys still fits. Especially with a Jason Taylor trade (please!!)
Yes! Couldn't agree more! Taylor and Porter may not be around much lonnger, epecially Taylor. I think people are really starting to forget that.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

according to an insider over at Finheaven, Miami will sign Eugene Wilson and Marques Douglas today.

oh and we signed Charlie Anderson if it wasn't already mentioned
Marino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino13 View Post
according to an insider over at Finheaven, Miami will sign Eugene Wilson and Marques Douglas today.

oh and we signed Charlie Anderson if it wasn't already mentioned
I heard we were interested in Wilson but I hadn't heard anything about us visiting with him. Marques Douglas I read was visiting TB so I don't know how he could possibly be signing with us.

I know there's reports that it's between us and Cincy for Darryl Blackstock.

Any news on Calvin Pace? Something fishy going on that he hasn't signed yet.

So right now the list of targets for us is:

Eugene Wilson, FS
Darryl Blackstock, LB
Calvin Pace, LB
Jason Fabini, OG
Marques Douglas, DE (???)

give me 3 of that group at reasonable prices and we can call it a day for FA. We will have signed just enough of the type of guys we needed to go after IMO.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:49 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
I heard we were interested in Wilson but I hadn't heard anything about us visiting with him. Marques Douglas I read was visiting TB so I don't know how he could possibly be signing with us.

I know there's reports that it's between us and Cincy for Darryl Blackstock.

Any news on Calvin Pace? Something fishy going on that he hasn't signed yet.

So right now the list of targets for us is:

Eugene Wilson, FS
Darryl Blackstock, LB
Calvin Pace, LB
Jason Fabini, OG
Marques Douglas, DE (???)

give me 3 of that group at reasonable prices and we can call it a day for FA. We will have signed just enough of the type of guys we needed to go after IMO.
Wow.... if this turns into a bidding war between us and the jets for Pace, they can have him. Of course he would be a welcomed addition, but seems like he wants the bank broken on himself, and is he really worth it? I'd rather have Chris Long or Gholston myself anyway.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 03-03-2008, 01:24 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Dolphins re-signed SS Yeremiah Bell to a one-year, $1.4 million contract.

A smart move for both sides. Bell showed tons of promise in 2006 before tearing his Achilles in Week 1 of last season. He'll battle to start at strong safety, and if he stays healthy, could get a lucrative deal on the '09 market.

This is my favorite move by Parcells so far this FA period.... Thank god we got Yeremiah back, I was starting to get real worried about him leaving. I think he is a Pro Bowl-Cailbre player when healthy. One of the more under-rated safeties in the league. If he can just stay healthy....

Old 03-03-2008, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
Dolphins re-signed SS Yeremiah Bell to a one-year, $1.4 million contract.

A smart move for both sides. Bell showed tons of promise in 2006 before tearing his Achilles in Week 1 of last season. He'll battle to start at strong safety, and if he stays healthy, could get a lucrative deal on the '09 market.

This is my favorite move by Parcells so far this FA period.... Thank god we got Yeremiah back, I was starting to get real worried about him leaving. I think he is a Pro Bowl-Cailbre player when healthy. One of the more under-rated safeties in the league. If he can just stay healthy....
Bro, let's watch and see if he can even start for a full NFL season but saying he's Pro Bowl caliber. I like Bell but come on dude, ease off the homerism. He has yet to hold down a job for a full season.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Bro, let's watch and see if he can even start for a full NFL season but saying he's Pro Bowl caliber. I like Bell but come on dude, ease off the homerism. He has yet to hold down a job for a full season.
Joe,

Could not agree more with you. He showed promise when he played 2 yrs ago, but to crown him a pro bowler off of a 1/2 season 2 yrs ago and an Achilles injury last season may be a SLIGHTLY overstating things.....
Old 03-03-2008, 02:28 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pace signed with the Jets, I'm shocked to say the least.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:15 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

No Pace makes for Chris Long at #1 the obvious choice. You see JoeyJr. I am realist and not the the Jake Long nut hugger you make me out to be fool. Just playin bro dont take me callin you a fool out of context. Just got back from ESPN the weekend and I saw some of the lovely rebuttles you and Bow had for me. It's all good Joey you have your opinions and I have mine. I'am down with Chris Long at #1 as long as it's good for the team. I never ever ever ever said I disliked Chris Long or Vernon Gholston but was pressing Jake more because he made sense with our Glutten at 3-4 OLB. It shows that Parcells still views the spot as a weakness to come close to giving up to 20 million in gurantees to a one hit wonder in Pace. This move was ment to be and now clearly opens the door for Chris Long to go at #1.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Pace signed with the Jets, I'm shocked to say the least.
Shocked? I'm thrilled. I liked Pace as a player but 42 million overall and 22 million guaranteed? Is that serious?

I would have been pissed if the Dolphins signed him for the same 32 million/20 guaranteed that we got Joey Porter for and the Jets blew way past that offer.

Unless he suddenly starts putting up 10-12 sacks a season and learns how to cover some people, no way he'll ever be worth that.

Darryl Blackstock is gonna make 1/10th the amount that Paces makes and he had half the amount of sacks Pace got while playing alot less.

I'd venture to say that Backstock is a limited role could bring you 5-6 sacks for alot cheaper then Pace will. I'd much rather take a cheap gamble on Blackstock then to throw away all that dough on Pace.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Shocked? I'm thrilled. I liked Pace as a player but 42 million overall and 22 million guaranteed? Is that serious?

I would have been pissed if the Dolphins signed him for the same 32 million/20 guaranteed that we got Joey Porter for and the Jets blew way past that offer.

Unless he suddenly starts putting up 10-12 sacks a season and learns how to cover some people, no way he'll ever be worth that.

Darryl Blackstock is gonna make 1/10th the amount that Paces makes and he had half the amount of sacks Pace got while playing alot less.

I'd venture to say that Backstock is a limited role could bring you 5-6 sacks for alot cheaper then Pace will. I'd much rather take a cheap gamble on Blackstock then to throw away all that dough on Pace.
Joe,

Agree with you again. I think Omar Kelly made a great pt in the sun-sentinel this morning stating that there was no way Pace should get more guaranteed $$ than Lance Briggs to play LB. While they are different style players, for Briggs to sign for 12-13 mil guaranteed after being a 3 time pro bowler and Pace to get over 20 mil for one OK yr would have been crazy. Glad to see they did not get in a bidding war........
Old 03-03-2008, 04:34 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Very Very smart move by Parcells not overpaying for Pace. Blackstock isnt so bad so I hope they are able to atleast snare him to provide more depth. I liked Blackstock when he played in the 3-4 at Virginia.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:37 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Blackstock did play under Al Groh. As much as we talk about Chris Long and Al Groh. Blackstock falls under that same tree