Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:35 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What, the Packers defense? Eh, alright. Basically to sum up, it fascinates me that such a good defense, such a well put-together defense that executes a great rotation at defensive line, can just as easily have 30 put on them any weekend.

Maybe it's that they have the defense you wish you could build, or at least that I like as a 4-3 defense ... but you're left seeing why it's not being built. But you don't quite understand why it's not working as well as it could/should. I know that sounds a bit confusing, which is why I'm interested in their defense. They've got great guys at every level, well except for safety. The DL is stacked. Harris and Woodson play full-on man/press, doing it better than any other duo in the league. But a good offense could put 30 on them tomorrow, an elite one could light them up for more probably.

In Jacksonville's case for example, they stop the run, but you can pass on them. It's understandable. Maybe like Jacksonville, they need a better pass rusher. Green Bay's pure speed guy is KGB who comes in on passing downs, Kampmann is a three-down end opposite him though.

Bringing it back to Parcells and the Dolphins, which I must do after the above, Parcells builds his 3-4 to stop the run and I imagine that won't change in Miami. How successful they will be against the pass, remains to be seen as the rebuilding process continues. However the league is favoring the pass as much as ever. They need a pass rusher to eventually succeed Jason Taylor, and I would be surprised if Calvin Pace is it. He might be playing opposite that successor though, akin to Greg Ellis playing opposite stud rusher Demarcus Ware, if that's what Tuna envisions.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:58 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pace should be signing soon, I guess he didn't go to New York.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:04 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If they go with Jake Long I think Glenn Dorsey is a Falcon. If Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey go one and two I will be mad.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
What, the Packers defense? Eh, alright. Basically to sum up, it fascinates me that such a good defense, such a well put-together defense that executes a great rotation at defensive line, can just as easily have 30 put on them any weekend.

Maybe it's that they have the defense you wish you could build, or at least that I like as a 4-3 defense ... but you're left seeing why it's not being built. But you don't quite understand why it's not working as well as it could/should. I know that sounds a bit confusing, which is why I'm interested in their defense. They've got great guys at every level, well except for safety. The DL is stacked. Harris and Woodson play full-on man/press, doing it better than any other duo in the league. But a good offense could put 30 on them tomorrow, an elite one could light them up for more probably.

In Jacksonville's case for example, they stop the run, but you can pass on them. It's understandable. Maybe like Jacksonville, they need a better pass rusher. Green Bay's pure speed guy is KGB who comes in on passing downs, Kampmann is a three-down end opposite him though.

Bringing it back to Parcells and the Dolphins, which I must do after the above, Parcells builds his 3-4 to stop the run and I imagine that won't change in Miami. How successful they will be against the pass, remains to be seen as the rebuilding process continues. However the league is favoring the pass as much as ever. They need a pass rusher to eventually succeed Jason Taylor, and I would be surprised if Calvin Pace is it. He might be playing opposite that successor though, akin to Greg Ellis playing opposite stud rusher Demarcus Ware, if that's what Tuna envisions.
As far as potential to be dominant, we haven't started using schemes that allow us to force a lot of turnovers and our players don't force a lot of fumbles like dominant defenses do. We play a bend but don't break style. I think we'll be more aggressive scheme wise this year, as everybody except Bigby and whomever our 2nd D Tackle will be in their 3rd year as starters in this defense. The only starters that have a clearly aggressive style I'd say are Bigby, Woodson, Harris and Barnett.

Points wise: The only offense that dominated us was Dallas. They scored 37 points. They used a lot of motion and got us out of bump n run in their big plays. We also didn't have KGB or Charles Woodson. Our safeties, cb's, and d-line probably played their worst games of the year. Detroit scored 27 points on Thanksgiving, 14 of which was in garbage time the 4th quarter. After the 3rd quarter it was 31 to 12 Packers lead. The first Bears game they scored 27 points. We turned the ball over 4 times on offense. Bears had 20 points until 2 minutes left in the 4th and they scored the winning touchdown. The 2nd Bears game, @ Soldier field: 35-7 Bears. They scored a TD on blocked punt by Corey Graham, they scored on and interception return by Brian Urlacher. There was a total of 2 blocked punts, 2 interceptions, 4 fumbles but they were recovered. By far the sloppiest game I've ever seen played by our offense and special teams. The Bears offense had 240 total yards and scored 21 total points, 6 of which was field goals. And I can't even put an exact total on how many of those were off of turnovers also because our offense and special teams was so sloppy. Playoffs- Seahawks had 20 points, the first 14 were off of Ryan Grant fumbles. First one was on our own 1 yard line. The 2nd was on our own 49 yard line. The Giants scored 23 points now they're the Super Bowl Champs.

So in 18 total games including playoffs, Dallas was the only offense that scored over 30 points on us, and it was our worst defensive game all year, without Charles Woodson and KGB. Dallas was one of the best offense in the league year, we all know that.

In regards to Jason Taylor, I suppose it would give us the opportunity to do a lot of different things in our front 7. Hopefully our coaches would realize that, instead of keeping everything the same and just putting him in the lineup. I suppose it's better to get an already established hybrid player, than trying to draft one and then teach him how to do it, when our coaches don't really have experience doing such a thing. The Dancing with the Stars and pondering retirement last year concerns me. I would like the move. But I'd rather trade for DeAngelo Hall and get a top 5 to 10 CB for the next 7 or 8 years.

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Calvin Pace will visit the Jets Saturday.

Sports Illustrated incorrectly reported Friday that Pace was signing with Miami. He is going to make a lot of money for some 3-4 team.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?...o&confirm=true

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:33 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm confused. What teams did that to us this year?
This year Green Bay gave up (by week) 13, 13, 24, 16, 27, 14, 13, 22, 0, 17, 26, 37, 7, 14, 35, 13, 20, 23.

That's only 2 games above 30: the Cowboys, but that was with Jarrett Bush starting and the Bears, but I'd certainly not pin that on the defense that only gave up 2 TDs, and gave up the points due to a tremendously short field. After that, there are only 6 games where the defense even gave up 20. So in over half of the games this year, Green Bay gave up less than 20 points.
mqtirishfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills2083 View Post
Calvin Pace will visit the Jets Saturday.

Sports Illustrated incorrectly reported Friday that Pace was signing with Miami. He is going to make a lot of money for some 3-4 team.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?...o&confirm=true
Which explains the Dolphins interest in Darryl Blackstock. Personally I'd rather have Blackstock. I was praying we'd take him coming out of college he was a monster. He was playing badly out of position in Arizona. They used him mainly as a 4-3 OLB and he has no coverage skills. He's purely a pass rusher.

At age 24 with some upside to him I'd rather bring him in on the cheap and use him strictly on passing downs and situations where we are going to bring some blitzes. I think he could be a solid player in a situational role like that.

I'd rather give that a shot then dumping 20 mil guaranteed on Calvin Pace.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good calls and posts, guys. I exaggerated the number.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:39 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
Which explains the Dolphins interest in Darryl Blackstock. Personally I'd rather have Blackstock. I was praying we'd take him coming out of college he was a monster. He was playing badly out of position in Arizona. They used him mainly as a 4-3 OLB and he has no coverage skills. He's purely a pass rusher.

At age 24 with some upside to him I'd rather bring him in on the cheap and use him strictly on passing downs and situations where we are going to bring some blitzes. I think he could be a solid player in a situational role like that.

I'd rather give that a shot then dumping 20 mil guaranteed on Calvin Pace.
No actually Blackstock got all of his playing time this last season as a 3-4 OLB, Pace is much better than Blackstock, but he will cost alot more too

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I posted earlier saying that parcells was doing a good job in my opinion. But after this i am thinking wtf is he doing???

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Lesson of the weeked: do not get your free agency info from Bucky Brooks.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
No actually Blackstock got all of his playing time this last season as a 3-4 OLB, Pace is much better than Blackstock, but he will cost alot more too
Yea his 1st season every doing that. Not all players just jumped tot he 3-4 OLB spot and have a ton of success right off the bat. There is a transition time that some guys go thru. Up until this past season Blackstock was used as a 4-3 OLB which is directly opposite what his skill set is best for.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

The Cardinals thought so much of Blackstock, they didn't even offer him the lowest RFA tender possible, making him an unrestricted free agent. Sort of interesting.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
The Cardinals thought so much of Blackstock, they didn't even offer him the lowest RFA tender possible, making him an unrestricted free agent. Sort of interesting.
I assume it's cause they have to re-sign Dansby and they don't have much cap room. There's also more rushbackers in the draft every year now. Pace is going to be 28 this year also.

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

They couldn't afford ~$940K to offer him the lowest tender? Keep him for one more year, or get a 3rd round pick in compensation if another team signed him to an offer sheet?

I don't know, I'm just looking at it how it is.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
They couldn't afford ~$940K to offer him the lowest tender? Keep him for one more year, or get a 3rd round pick in compensation if another team signed him to an offer sheet?

I don't know, I'm just looking at it how it is.
Bro they were pinching pennies and trying to rework contract so they could sign Alan Faneca. Would you wanna be the guy to tell your franchise that you lost out on Alan Faneca because you signed Darryl Blackstock?
Old 03-01-2008, 05:17 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

We're talking about $944K of a $116M cap. Make of it what you will.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:19 PM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Bro they were pinching pennies and trying to rework contract so they could sign Alan Faneca. Would you wanna be the guy to tell your franchise that you lost out on Alan Faneca because you signed Darryl Blackstock?
940k is nothing compared to the cap room available...especially when you take into account that his salary would take the place of another one against the cap probably costing around 500k against the cap.

Welcome to reality...the guy sucks so bad he wasn't even tendered.
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Well, that the Cards let him walk, doesn't automatically mean he sucks. Obviously, the guy didn't light the world on fire in Arizona, maybe a chance with a new team changes that.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:06 PM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Well, that the Cards let him walk, doesn't automatically mean he sucks. Obviously, the guy didn't light the world on fire in Arizona, maybe a chance with a new team changes that.
Your right...the fact that the Cardinals don't like him probably means he'll be a star in this league.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
Your right...the fact that the Cardinals don't like him probably means he'll be a star in this league.
Bro, open your eyes. He's a 24 year old that was in a system that he never really fit into. With a change of scenery and in a new role, there's no reason he can't turn into a cheap backup.

Who said anything about him being a star?
Old 03-01-2008, 06:38 PM    (permalink
UK Cards Fan
Rookie

UK Cards Fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.UK Cards Fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
We're talking about $944K of a $116M cap. Make of it what you will.
Geo, the problem with Blackstock apparently was more related to his off the field ways than his on the field ways.

He got into a shouting match with Darnell Dockett after Seattle, was labelled immature and work shy...

Now, I don't know how accurate those things are, but he certainly didn't fit the mold of person that Whiz wanted.

The kid has some talent, and I hope he gets a chance to use it but sadly, it won't be in 'Zona. Maybe this is the kick the guy needs?
Old 03-01-2008, 06:42 PM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

Quote:
Bro, open your eyes. He's a 24 year old that was in a system that he never really fit into. With a change of scenery and in a new role, there's no reason he can't turn into a cheap backup.

Who said anything about him being a star?
It was a joke. Taking a shot at the Cardinals inability to recognize talent.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:01 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yea his 1st season every doing that. Not all players just jumped tot he 3-4 OLB spot and have a ton of success right off the bat. There is a transition time that some guys go thru. Up until this past season Blackstock was used as a 4-3 OLB which is directly opposite what his skill set is best for.
Well Blackstock wasn't used at all up until this season, he was only a special teams guy and a 3rd string LB, the only reason he got some playing time was due to the fact that Berry & Okeafor both went down with injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
Nah you have to be good in AZ 1st then when FA comes you ditch us and become a star

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:11 PM    (permalink
adamprez2003
Rookie

adamprez2003 is a cocksman.adamprez2003 is a cocksman.adamprez2003 is a cocksman.adamprez2003 is a cocksman.adamprez2003 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Well Blackstock wasn't used at all up until this season, he was only a special teams guy and a 3rd string LB, the only reason he got some playing time was due to the fact that Berry & Okeafor both went down with injuries

Nah you have to be good in AZ 1st then when FA comes you ditch us and become a star
I dont get the Blackstock talk here. This guy was nothing more than backup material. Did he suddenly become good this year? Why is this guy getting such solid props?

Eeez Ezpecially Delicious
adamprez2003 is offline   Reply With Quote