Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-02-2008, 03:05 PM    (permalink
DannyMaher

I can not believe that the Jets have made such horrible trades. How can they see these trades as beneficial for the organazation. We jsut traded a 26 year old talented MLB that was the 12th pick overall for a 4th round pick, that might become a third round pick. Do they really expect whoever we get in the 4th round to replace Vilma? This just seems like a foolish trade to me. Then we trade our third and fifth round picks for the NT we have been wanting. Too bad he has injury and weight concerns. I do not see this as beneficial. I mean, dont get me wrong. I feel Jenkins will be a large improvement, and I am glad we do not need to draft DT, but I feel we could have made a better deal. So now what? First round pick; Either Gholston or McFadden? I do not think Long or Long will fall to us. Do we go for the flashy RB? Do we go for the OLB we have been lacking? I think I would prefer Gholston, because our Defense could really use an improvement. But also I think we could get a pass rushing OLB in the second round. We also need a legitimate TE, and now without a 3rd round pick, I feel we can not achieve that.

So here is how I see it going:

Rd. 1 - McFadden
Rd. 2 - OLB (Gooden, Avril, Henderson)
Rd. 4 - TE or WR

or

Rd. 1 - Gholston
Rd. 2 - OT (Nicks, Cherilus, Baker)
Rd. 4 - TE or WR

Well, you guys disappointed too? Agree with my picks? Any thoughts at all?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:08 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

too bad you have all the facts on the Vilma trade wrong.

You get a 4th this year, and a 3rd or 2nd next year, and you give up your 4th rounder next year. Vilma also didn't fit in your system and has knee injury issues.

The Jenkins one was an ok deal. You gave up a 3rd, which wasn't really bad(the 5th doesn't matter too much). It couldn pan out to be a tremendous deal for you guys if he stays on the field, it'd be a MAJOR steal. He's only 26 I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let me just say this now. If you trade for a 3-4 NT that DOESN'T have weight concerns, odds are you didn't really trade for a 3-4 NT. I'm very disappointed in the Vilma trade, but the Jenkins and Faneca additions were great. I'll be disappointed if the Jets sign Calvin Pace and Damien Woody though.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

Bluedevil$ hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We might have overpaid in some trades/signings, but if you have to if you want to get premium talent. We still have a high 1st and 2nd to worth with, along with two 4ths.
Bluedevil$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:12 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty happy with what we've done so far. In order to get talent in FA (which we needed) you need to overpay, its an accepted fact in the NFL. With the Vilma deal worse comes to worse we get a 4th this year and a 3rd next year. We could definitely get 2 guys that are talented and become solid players for the Jets with those 2 picks (and the 3rd could become a 2nd). Unless we changed to a 43 (wouldn't happen) Vilma really wasn't a big part of our defense. Harris and Barton will do just fine in the middle.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel bad for you guys losing vilma but signing Jenkins and Faneca which are easily top 5 in league at there position are pretty good signings. Might have overpaid a little but you gotta have your players happy.

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:55 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I disagree with essentially everything you said.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

Alright, lets start off by saying, Danny Maher, your an idiot. The jets were SCREWED with Vilma first off. The guy didn't have any future with mangini. He was not a good fit for the system and the guy was hurt. You could've done what the Jets did and that was trade him while you can, or you can keep him, let him rot on the bench and get nothing. So clearly Id rather take option one so that our team doesn't crash burn and everything else. So thats one point where you have to get your head checked. As for Kris Jenkins. Cmon, who do you want Vince Wilfork? Jamal Williams? Corey Hampton? You ain't getting any of those guys and they are the best of the best. And quite frankly, there are no true 3-4 NT's in this draft. Yea he has had to injury seasons, but you were ready to keep Vilma who was so healthy? Kris Jenkins is 6'4 349 according to the nyjets.com. If this is the case, then thats the hting you should be happy about, NT's aren't supposed to be thin people. They are supposed to be overweight and hard to push. Kris Jenkins at one time was considered a top 5 DT in the game if not the best. Yea it was in the 4-3 but who cares. I trust Mangini. I have been behind him. Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything good until this upcoming season. We should take that first season of mangini as a free ride and take last season as a given. We overreachieved and now we are finally putting the right people in the positions that mangini changed and its coming together slowly but surely. I mean you can call me an optimist but this has been a great offseason for the Jets. For what its worth, we are headed in the right direction. Whether we take Gholston, Chris Long or McFadden, Ill be happy. All these guys can make some kind of impact. While ideally Chris Long is the Mangini type of guy with a non stop motor and a sick football player aswell, he is going to be a great fit wherever he goes. Gholston has been compared to Shawne Merriman (minus the roids). I mean if you dont like that, the your out of your mind. Merriman is a freak and a marvel. I would definately take that for the Jets. Last but not least you got hte Heisman trophy winner. Scott Wright said it best, "it worked for the Vikings, the Jets should consider it". Yea, he isn't Adrian Peterson, but he can definately stretch the field and he can add a little spark to this team. The Jets dont have the flashy players, but look what Randy Moss did in New England. Even though at the time he may not have been a flashy player, he certainly turned to the randy of old. Its a different position, but you gotta consider it in the position your in.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:32 PM    (permalink
DannyMaher

Well thanks for being mature about things. First off is, I love Vilma and wish we could have used him better. I see that he is a poor fit and was misused last year... but do you really think he is worth a 4th round pick that might turn into a 3rd or 2nd? I really think we got the wrong end of it there. I really thought he was worth a 2nd straight up. Next off is Jenkins. I see that he can drastically help if he is healthy. But that means he must stay healthy, which im not too sure he can do. I know NTs have to be big, but I have read reports saying he does have problems with his weight, that is all I was saying there.

Seriously here, if you heard the Jets were in a 3 way trade in which they get Jenkins and a (lets say for fairness sake ) 3rd round pick for Vilma, our third and our fifth, you would like that? That sounds fair to you?

Now I will give everyone this. This Jenkins for a 3rd and 5th thing is twenty times better than McCarriens for a 3rd a few years back. That did not really pan out too well at all.

If you disagree with everything I said, can you at least say why, and say so in a tone more suitable. I love discussing the Jets and giving my opinion and hearing other opinions, just wish people kept it a little more civil.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:46 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

eh, i love Vilma more than most people, but the simple fact is that he was going to leave at the end of the season anyways. He now has an injury concern, and his production has lacked in a defense not suited for his skill set for the past two years, so to say there was a level of uncertainty decreasing his value would be an understatement. We were not in a position of great power in negotiating deals for these reasons, and i think that we made out fine when all was said and done. I may be optimistic, but i think we'll be getting a 2nd next year, which would just be awesome. Vilma was/is a talent no questions asked, but the defensive scheme wasn't going to change, you have to realize that by now, so getting something like this for him was best for both parties involved (Jets & Vilma)

Faneca is a great signing IMO, both on the field and behind the scenes. he was great in Pitts for years until mgmt basically said screw u to him. Not only does he greatly upgrade his position, he upgrades the two young guys beside him. The price we paid was fine, and was expected.

Jenkins is a risk that was worth it IMO. He is a proven commodity, whereas other options probably wouldn't be. Getting NTs is hard enough, so to get a guy who has that type of size and has played at an extremely high level in the past (albeit at a different position/scheme) was a risk worth taking. Injuries are always a concern, but what were the other options that may have been better? Rookies are always a questionmark. I'm happy the team addressed the position and put someone who has show ability in the past. Hopefully it works out, but judging by the other options, i don't know if going another route would have been best. The position needed a change, and it got one.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMaher View Post
Well thanks for being mature about things. First off is, I love Vilma and wish we could have used him better. I see that he is a poor fit and was misused last year... but do you really think he is worth a 4th round pick that might turn into a 3rd or 2nd? I really think we got the wrong end of it there. I really thought he was worth a 2nd straight up. Next off is Jenkins. I see that he can drastically help if he is healthy. But that means he must stay healthy, which im not too sure he can do. I know NTs have to be big, but I have read reports saying he does have problems with his weight, that is all I was saying there.

Seriously here, if you heard the Jets were in a 3 way trade in which they get Jenkins and a (lets say for fairness sake ) 3rd round pick for Vilma, our third and our fifth, you would like that? That sounds fair to you?

Now I will give everyone this. This Jenkins for a 3rd and 5th thing is twenty times better than McCarriens for a 3rd a few years back. That did not really pan out too well at all.

If you disagree with everything I said, can you at least say why, and say so in a tone more suitable. I love discussing the Jets and giving my opinion and hearing other opinions, just wish people kept it a little more civil.
Sometimes its difficult to convey a tone over the internet, but if my earlier post conveyed any hostility, that was far from its meaning. Faneca and Jenkins are premiere players at their positions. Both of which are positions the Jets desperately needed help at. I'd go so far that the only need the Jets had you can even argue was more dire than these was pass rushing OLB, and there aren't a whole lot of options for.

As far as the trade goes, I wouldn't like it because it sends away my favorite Jets player, but taking my personal opinions of Vilma, yes, its fair. Unlike McCareins who was a one year wonder for the Titans (and his one year wasn't really all that good), Jenkins has been a dominant defensive tackle for the Carolina Panthers for years and he's been a multiple time pro bowler. Not the same situation at all.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote