Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 03-02-2008, 03:17 PM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Michael "Burner" Turner

Falcons | Turner agrees to six-year contract
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 12:51:57 -0800

John Murphy, of Yahoo Sports, reports free-agent RB Michael Turner (Chargers) has agreed to a six-year contract with the Atlanta Falcons. The deal includes $15 million of guaranteed money and is expected to be worth over $34 million in total.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another possibility down the tube. It's looking more and more likely a draftee will be in Chicago. Boy do we love to blow good opportunities.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:19 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We didn't blow that at all. The Falcons gave more money to Turner, who has yet to even prove himself as a starter, than we gave to Lance Briggs, a multiple time pro-bowler in his prime.

Think about that, get some perspective, and back up off the ledge.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well i dont think we wouldve payed Turner #1 Money anyways with benson still on the roster

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:35 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
We didn't blow that at all. The Falcons gave more money to Turner, who has yet to even prove himself as a starter, than we gave to Lance Briggs, a multiple time pro-bowler in his prime.

Think about that, get some perspective, and back up off the ledge.
Using Briggs as perspective isn't the best idea. I don't necessarily disagree with the base fact that Turner was overpaid, but that's the RB position. At RB, it's always been about potential due to the rapid wear and tear. Comparatively, as much as the LB position has grown over, say, the past decade or so in importance, it's still a position where teams feel they can find a player.

The reason I'd agree with pelle on this one is simple. Which RB in the 2nd tier is going to really push Benson? Sure, the top 3 RB's could push Benson, but the chances seem iffy of us taking a top 3 RB right now. So, who out of that 2nd tier pushes? Jamaal Charles' inconsistency? Ray Rice's lack of size? I could see a guy like Forte pushing, so that's a possibility, but with the dearth of big backs, there's going to be some teams going after him. Wouldn't surprise me if Forte lasted until day 2 that some teams push up in the 3rd.

For me, it isn't an issue of what Turner is or is not, but rather, who can be a legitimate challenger. I don't want a guy that's the number 2 to complement Benson with an outside shot of challenging for the lead role. I have a bad feeling that we might be looking at, say, a Mike Hart in day 2. If we find one, a legitimate challenger, then sure, I'd rather go that route.

The worst part is ... with all our money, what are we doing? Saving it for the non-existent interest? Granted, that's a whole separate issue.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:57 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Using Briggs as perspective isn't the best idea. I don't necessarily disagree with the base fact that Turner was overpaid, but that's the RB position. At RB, it's always been about potential due to the rapid wear and tear. Comparatively, as much as the LB position has grown over, say, the past decade or so in importance, it's still a position where teams feel they can find a player.

The reason I'd agree with pelle on this one is simple. Which RB in the 2nd tier is going to really push Benson? Sure, the top 3 RB's could push Benson, but the chances seem iffy of us taking a top 3 RB right now. So, who out of that 2nd tier pushes? Jamaal Charles' inconsistency? Ray Rice's lack of size? I could see a guy like Forte pushing, so that's a possibility, but with the dearth of big backs, there's going to be some teams going after him. Wouldn't surprise me if Forte lasted until day 2 that some teams push up in the 3rd.

For me, it isn't an issue of what Turner is or is not, but rather, who can be a legitimate challenger. I don't want a guy that's the number 2 to complement Benson with an outside shot of challenging for the lead role. I have a bad feeling that we might be looking at, say, a Mike Hart in day 2. If we find one, a legitimate challenger, then sure, I'd rather go that route.

The worst part is ... with all our money, what are we doing? Saving it for the non-existent interest? Granted, that's a whole separate issue.
agreed with pretty much everything here. and the briggs comparison was a bad one...yeah we payed it to him, but that didnt really help us with our need at RB now did it?

as for the RBs you mentioned, i think charles could do it. he seems like he would be a good one cut runner for when we break out 2 TEs (which i hope to god we do and do often) and forte i think is a very well rounded back.

the problem is that anyone we take after about round 2 just doesnt have a significant enough investment in to take the job away from benson.

i mean, we could find an ahmad bradshaw type in the 7th round who blows us the hell away with his ability, but becaues benson was a 4th overall pick with a lot of time and money in, theres no way someone drafted that late takes the job away.

its ******, but thats how it works im afraid.....it would take a reincarnation of walter f-wording payton to knock benson off legitimately im afraid.

so thats why i contend that we go o-line and beef that up so if we're stuck with benson, we at least give him the best situation possible to suck in
Old 03-02-2008, 04:00 PM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

No need to debate with this guy toons. He's so full of himself it hurts. Anyone who has a difference in opinion he nearly has a heart-attack. This is nearly the same amount we offered Cedric Benson, a runningback who didn't prove ANYTHING in the pro's. I don't see why we wouldn't pay the same for someone who has actually done something. He's only 26yrs old with very little mileage.

I've been an advocate for Jonathan Stewart and Rashard Mendenhall ever since the season began so I don't know what all the hostility is for. If anything this is showing more and more we may end up having no choice but to settle on one of these bruisers in the draft to create good competition for Benson. I do know this..if we do draft a Mendenhall or Stewart they will make a bundle of money with no Pro experience. I'm fine with either but Turner would have been a good option so we could free up the draft to go after more need positions. (offensive-line, now wide receiver, depth at dt, and a qb ala Flacco, Henne)

Someone keep this guy from the anti-depressants before he loses himself on this board. Its simply not that serious. lol
Old 03-02-2008, 04:03 PM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
agreed with pretty much everything here. and the briggs comparison was a bad one...yeah we payed it to him, but that didnt really help us with our need at RB now did it?

as for the RBs you mentioned, i think charles could do it. he seems like he would be a good one cut runner for when we break out 2 TEs (which i hope to god we do and do often) and forte i think is a very well rounded back.

the problem is that anyone we take after about round 2 just doesnt have a significant enough investment in to take the job away from benson.

i mean, we could find an ahmad bradshaw type in the 7th round who blows us the hell away with his ability, but becaues benson was a 4th overall pick with a lot of time and money in, theres no way someone drafted that late takes the job away.

its ******, but thats how it works im afraid.....it would take a reincarnation of walter f-wording payton to knock benson off legitimately im afraid.

so thats why i contend that we go o-line and beef that up so if we're stuck with benson, we at least give him the best situation possible to suck in
I hope this is not the case but what do we do..im simply not going to be Jerry Angelo's "fruit of the looms" ahem. He's dragging feet as usual and needs to learn from past mistakes that we're not as good as they've thought. This arrogance has gotten us into a lot of problems. They need to be more aggressive in bringing in help. We're simply not that good. I'm really hoping ur right Beer and toons. This is really getting bad Angelo hasn't made any real effort to show interest in ANY players. I agree we need to keep our own but there's more to it than that. Even with our current players we need ADDITIONAL help. Does Angelo realize this yet?

Last edited by pellepelle_10 : 03-02-2008 at 04:05 PM.
pellepelle_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:02 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a comparison between making logical choices and splurging in the market out of impulse and fear. Signing Michael Turner wouldn't push Benson, it would make Benson obsolete. Now, you could make the case that is a good thing, but you simply cannot tie up that much money into the runningback position. It affects our ability to resign Tommie, Devin, etc. By comparison, Marshawn Lynch was the 12th pick and he signed a 6 year-18 million dollar deal. Even I'm not sure we could budget that in the runningback position, but it's at least reasonable.

Also, you've got to think about the parameters of what we're talking about financially here. Did anyone actually think we were going to spend that 30 million in cap room? Just because the money is there metaphysically doesn't mean we're going to spend it. The Bears are primarily owned by a family. An incredibly rich family I'll grant you, but it's not like Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones where they can blow 40-50 million and not bat an eye. I'm sure that Angelo is given a budget by Ted Phillips that is quite different than what the salary cap looks like. That might not be a fun thing to think about as a fan, but it's the reality of being a fan of the Bears, always has been.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 03-02-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:06 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepelle_10 View Post
I hope this is not the case but what do we do..im simply not going to be Jerry Angelo's "fruit of the looms" ahem. He's dragging feet as usual and needs to learn from past mistakes that we're not as good as they've thought. This arrogance has gotten us into a lot of problems. They need to be more aggressive in bringing in help. We're simply not that good. I'm really hoping ur right Beer and toons. This is really getting bad Angelo hasn't made any real effort to show interest in ANY players. I agree we need to keep our own but there's more to it than that. Even with our current players we need ADDITIONAL help. Does Angelo realize this yet?
If you want a team that spends a lot of money in the market there are a lot of teams out there. You live in Seattle no? I suggest the Seahawks. I mean honestly, I'm not trying to be a dick here (though your above comments were kind of cute), but if you're going to whine everytime we don't sign someone I would suggest a different team.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:46 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

By the way, I don't think anyone would argue that the contract we gave to Benson isn't terrible. I just looked it up and it made me cringe (5 years-35 million, 17 million in guarantees). But like I said before, that was the absolute worst draft to have a top 5 pick in. Most Bears fans wanted Mike Williams (which would have been even worse), as I recall Toonster wanted Cadillac Williams, and I personally wanted to trade up for Edwards (though obviously have no idea if that was ever a possibility).

Either way, that has definately ****** up our franchise, but short of passing on the pick altogether there weren't really any better options.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:51 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just to be clear, my mantra was

ABC - Anybody but Cedric

My preference was Braylon, but if you remember the dynamics then, that was fairly unlikely even if he had been available and the news reports indicated all along that our focus was RB. Out of the RB's that were going to be there, I preferred to go Caddy over Cedric (as Ronnie was a certainty to be gone).
Old 03-02-2008, 11:58 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Speaking of Benson and obsolete, I wonder if that surgery will make him close to it. I mean ... the idea of Benson losing a step, as the Chicago Sun-Times article hinted at, is scary in it's own right.

Btw, I've got the outlines to a new mock going, with 13 picks in the bank (well, more have been sketched out). Won't be done for at least a week, as I've got a lot of stuff this week.

1. Miami Dolphins – QB Matt Ryan, Boston College
2. St. Louis Rams – DE/OLB Chris Long, Virginia
3. Atlanta Falcons – DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU
4. Oakland Raiders – OT Jake Long, Michigan
5. Kansas City Chiefs – OT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh
6. New York Jets – OLB/DE Vernon Gholston, the Ohio State
7. Dallas Cowboys f/ San Francisco 49ers via New England Patriots – RB Darren McFadden
8. New Orleans Saints f/ Baltimore Ravens – DT Sedrick Ellis, USC
9. Cincinnati Bengals – OLB/DE Derrick Harvey, Florida
10. Baltimore Ravens f/ New Orleans Saints – CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy
11. Buffalo Bills – DE Quentin Groves, Auburn
12. Denver Broncos – OT Ryan Clady, Boise State
13. Carolina Panthers – OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt

I think most expectations would be Mendenhall if the draft fell this way, but I figured I'd put it out there and get some reactions. (14-26 loosely look like

14. Chicago Bears – RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
15. Detroit Lions – RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon
16. Arizona Cardinals – CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida
17. Minnesota Vikings – DL Phillip Merling, Clemson
18. Houston Texans – LB Keith Rivers, USC
19. Philadelphia Eagles – S Kenny Phillips, the U
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – CB Aqib Talib, Kansas
21. Washington Redskins – CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
22. New England Patriots f/ Cleveland Browns via Dallas Cowboys – OLB Cliff Avril, Purdue
23. Pittsburgh Steelers – WR Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma
24. Tennessee Titans – WR Limas Sweed, Texas
25. Seattle Seahawks – WR Devin Thomas, Michigan State
26. Jacksonville Jaguars – OG Branden Albert, Virginia
Old 03-03-2008, 12:08 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
By the way, I don't think anyone would argue that the contract we gave to Benson isn't terrible. I just looked it up and it made me cringe (5 years-35 million, 17 million in guarantees). But like I said before, that was the absolute worst draft to have a top 5 pick in. Most Bears fans wanted Mike Williams (which would have been even worse), as I recall Toonster wanted Cadillac Williams, and I personally wanted to trade up for Edwards (though obviously have no idea if that was ever a possibility).

Either way, that has definately ****** up our franchise, but short of passing on the pick altogether there weren't really any better options.
The contract isn't terrible. He made 2 mill a year based on his lack of incentives.

As far as Turner... All the experience, none of the loss of tread. What? 250 carries over 4 years? Potential. Upside. Power. Finesse. We could have paid turner the money, and benson would have only cost us 1.8 mil (his 850 yard bonus is huge though) To keep benson at 850 yards wouldn't have been hard, and if benson did happen to make 900 yards, it means, he'd probably be worth the money.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:14 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

That is correct. Benson hasn't hit all his incentives, so his contract cost is actually much better. It's funny how one of his incentives is at 701 yards, and he hasn't hit it yet. I mean, NLTBE incentives are often a joke, but well, in this case, it's turned out true. He's getting there, though. 647, 674. Maybe 690 next year. Okay, that's a bit harsh, but the whole Sun-Times blurb about Benson potentially being a step slower has to scare the heck out of a Bears fan. I thought he was a slightly better A-Train when we drafted him, but it's scary to think that A-Train at the same age might've been faster.

Scary to think about the Michigan twosome being so long ago. Felt like yesterday. When we drafted Terrell in 2001, that was the first time I came on nfldc i think.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:49 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That is correct. Benson hasn't hit all his incentives, so his contract cost is actually much better. It's funny how one of his incentives is at 701 yards, and he hasn't hit it yet. I mean, NLTBE incentives are often a joke, but well, in this case, it's turned out true. He's getting there, though. 647, 674. Maybe 690 next year. Okay, that's a bit harsh, but the whole Sun-Times blurb about Benson potentially being a step slower has to scare the heck out of a Bears fan. I thought he was a slightly better A-Train when we drafted him, but it's scary to think that A-Train at the same age might've been faster.

Scary to think about the Michigan twosome being so long ago. Felt like yesterday. When we drafted Terrell in 2001, that was the first time I came on nfldc i think.
nuts. 701. not 850.

I read that today and freaked out. I really think i can outrun benson now from the way mulligan wrote it. a 6.2 40

Old 03-03-2008, 01:03 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

That's true, I forgot how incentive laden his contract was. Silly runningbacks, when will they learn?

Regardless, we're much better off allocating our recourses elsewhere. It's not that Benson doesn't need some very serious competition, I hope that we get a runningback in the first 3 rounds (you can draw criticisms of Charles or Rice, but both can be starting backs in the league IMO).

I mean..if you look over the other free agents:

Faneca is a great guard, but he's past his prime, doesn't play a position of great financial importance (even in this changing market), and the Steelers have an uncanny ability to know when a player is no longer worth keeping around.

Berrian should have been franchised in my opinion. That said, I would not have wanted us to give him the contract he got. I wouldn't have been against it mind you, but he's certainly not going to earn all of that money. It's a luxury I think the Vikings could more easily afford as they already have some of the other pieces in place.

Other than that, what big free agents were there? I can see the case for Turner, but he got elite money, and I don't think the return on investment will ever be what they paid. I understand that's usually how free agency works, but isn't that more of an argument why we don't need to be Snyder/Arthur Blank-like spenders?

Obviously this draft is incredibly important for Angelo. I've made no bones about the fact that I love the guy more than any player on the team, but even I say that if he can't get at least two gems of offensive players in this draft he's going to have to step aside for someone who can. That said, I don't think Michael Turner is going to make or break our season next year, and that's a panic free agent signing IMO.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:11 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I will say this though, we need to sign a receiver with some starting experience. Whether it's Johnson, Hackett, hell even I would be ok if we gave Javon Walker an incentive-laden contract.

Point is, this talk about drafting a receiver in the first round scares me. I don't believe it, but there was something in the Sun-Times about how they feel nobody left is a #1 receiver (true) and that they are likely to go to the draft to find that.

I get the idea of Berrian not being a #1 receiver and so thus not paying him like one. However, if there is a need that can be put off for future years it's wide receiver. The offensive line MUST be adressed for the future and for the now.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:26 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
I will say this though, we need to sign a receiver with some starting experience. Whether it's Johnson, Hackett, hell even I would be ok if we gave Javon Walker an incentive-laden contract.

Point is, this talk about drafting a receiver in the first round scares me. I don't believe it, but there was something in the Sun-Times about how they feel nobody left is a #1 receiver (true) and that they are likely to go to the draft to find that.

I get the idea of Berrian not being a #1 receiver and so thus not paying him like one. However, if there is a need that can be put off for future years it's wide receiver. The offensive line MUST be adressed for the future and for the now.
i don't get how GM's don't understand the offensive line is the key to any mediocre talented team overachieving. And by GM's i do mean the redskins.

incentive laden contracts are okay except for the numbers it put against the cap. i wish i knew where that extra money goes though. i'm not a big enough cap-follower to know that. i'd be okay with many players as long as we get a good price for them. The real issue though is that tons of these contracts we see that are huge, we have no idea what the specifics are ever. I doubt berrian will ever see that much money from the vikes.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:31 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Go to rotoworld.com, it's a gem. That's where I get all my contract numbers. I also posted a thread about how much every player counts against the cap this year. It's pre-Briggs though.

And to answer you question, it's 16 mil guaranteed, 23 million in the first three years, so he'll see a fair share of it, probably all of it considering he's pretty young.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:08 AM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

Quote:
If you want a team that spends a lot of money in the market there are a lot of teams out there.
There's a difference between dumping cash and SHOWING INTEREST or better yet BRINGING IN SOMEONE AS IF THEY WANT TO MAKE SOME PROGRESS. Something we have yet to do this offseason despite the plethora of needs we have to fill.

Quote:
I mean honestly, I'm not trying to be a dick here (though your above comments were kind of cute)
Aww that made me blush. Why thank you. As for trying to be a dick you've already taken the cake. Tell us something we don't already know. It only took me the first time to comment on the Bears Team Forum to figure that out.

Quote:
but if you're going to whine everytime we don't sign someone I would suggest a different team.
I'd rather watch you rip holes in your chair and belittle everyone who has a difference on opinion than yourself oh wise one. You're rather entertaining. Keep up the good work! *applauds*
Old 03-03-2008, 02:21 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I really have no idea what you're talking about. I told you to get some perspective, which you've still completely failed to do. Nothing you've said so far has gone beyond total hyperbole. As for the rest, I can assure you I've never spent a second giving a **** what you think or do, if you get your jollies out of me making fun of you, go right ahead and continue to offer up stupid comments.

I guess if we brought people in, fed them, and then didn't sign them to ridiculous contracts that would make you happier. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:26 AM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

Quote:
By the way, I don't think anyone would argue that the contract we gave to Benson isn't terrible. I just looked it up and it made me cringe (5 years-35 million, 17 million in guarantees)
The way you've been running off I'd figure you'd already know this one oh wise one. Yes this is why I've already stated that we could have at least showed interest or brought the guy in. Hopefully you will listen to what I'm saying instead of jumping the gun trying to drown peoples opinions. I've seen many posters make credible statements. Maybe you should try listening to them instead of making yourself into some knowall.

Again

Signing Turner to a 35 million contract seems to be much more logical than giving it to some unproven rookie runningback don't ya think!?! It's nice that you finally know that Benson had the same deal. How long ago was this contract signed? 3yrs ago? *rolling eyes* Maybe it's you that needs to think about what YOU'RE saying.

Quote:
But like I said before, that was the absolute worst draft to have a top 5 pick in. Most Bears fans wanted Mike Williams (which would have been even worse), as I recall Toonster wanted Cadillac Williams, and I personally wanted to trade up for Edwards (though obviously have no idea if that was ever a possibility).
go on..stomp on more posters while patting yourself on the back.

Quote:
You're going on a tangent and I'm losing this entirely. My point was Chicago is blowing it for not even bringing in Turner to discuss anything. He's a very valuable runningback who would definatelly bring competition at the position. He's young..far more proven than any rookie we bring in and we could have at least put forth a worthy offer to entertain a signing. Whose to say even if we offered a few million less he wouldn't have preferred us for the simple fact we're a home team he would have loved to play for. We don't know this because we never made an offer to the guy. We simply dropped the ball and sat on our asses.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:28 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepelle_10 View Post
There's a difference between dumping cash and SHOWING INTEREST or better yet BRINGING IN SOMEONE AS IF THEY WANT TO MAKE SOME PROGRESS. Something we have yet to do this offseason despite the plethora of needs we have to fill.

Aww that made me blush. Why thank you. As for trying to be a dick you've already taken the cake. Tell us something we don't already know. It only took me the first time to comment on the Bears Team Forum to figure that out.

I'd rather watch you rip holes in your chair and belittle everyone who has a difference on opinion than yourself oh wise one. You're rather entertaining. Keep up the good work! *applauds*
Pelle. Not to really defend bf here.
But why show interest if you don't need to. Right now we're not pushed to cap. We wont' be this year. I think we're in a place to make some decent strides in the draft that the FA coulda filled, but not at a price we were looking at. There's still some time though, the FA period isn't over, it's not done, there's still time and players outstanding.

He belittles everyone because he thinks he's right, and for the most part, he isn't stupid. but, this is football, and it's as subjective as music (and if you ask ERU something about this, he'll say it's ridiculous). There is a right way, and a wrong way. Calling BF out is normal. And if you can't stand up to an intense stupid array of criticisms. tits or gtfo.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:30 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Are you ******* mental? Do you have any idea what a rookie contract for the 14th pick is? I'll give you a hint, it's about half of what Benson got. In fact, I already put Marshawn Lynch's numbers up there, and that was at the 12 spot.

Turner got a contract much bigger than what any runningback would get at 14, and I'd take Mendenhall or Stewart over him any day of the week.

Either that, or you're arguing with me on a point that nobody would disagree with. Of course the Benson pick was terrible, but like I laid out (in what you incorrectly thought was me trying to make myself look smart), there were no good options there. There wasn't a player on the board that would have been worth that money.

And you don't have a clue what we did. Hence the total hyperbole.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 03-03-2008 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:41 AM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

Quote:
I really have no idea what you're talking about.
I wouldn't expect you to.

Quote:
I told you to get some perspective, which you've still completely failed to do.
yes dad

Quote:
Nothing you've said so far has gone beyond total hyperbole.
Actually i'm just voicing my opinion just like everyone else on this board.

Quote:
As for the rest, I can assure you I've never spent a second giving a **** what you think or do
IC you're still responding to my posts at all hours of the day so you must. *wink*

Quote:
if you get your jollies out of me making fun of you, go right ahead and continue to offer up stupid comments.
This is true entertainment. You're a character. What can I say. You sit back and criticize opinions on a regular basis. Its one thing to have a difference of opinion..comment how you feel about it and have a friendly debate. You simply come of as if you're JA himself. You need some fresh air man. The cathode rays are getting the best of you.

Quote:
I guess if we brought people in, fed them, and then didn't sign them to ridiculous contracts that would make you happier. Whatever floats your boat.
What like the one we f-d ourselves on already with the unproven bust Ceddy? The one you've just now figured received the SAME CONTRACT as a guy whose 26, played in the league 4yrs with low mileage, and never really missed a beat from the starter LT? Noooway!!! Hey JA who are we taking next. It must be that O-Lineman you've been ripping me to shreds for the past 24 months or better yet, your newfound love for runningback in the top tier of the draft.